I think the last few pages are a pretty resounding yea.

It's an amazing MMO with puzzles and going around finding stuff but still keeping the essence of every MMO with a lot of combat and a truly, great atmosphere. (copy&pasted one of my last posts )

Definitly worth the buy, it's amazing how well designed is the story of every quest-giver, the atmosphere is as I said amazing, and the Investigation missions? Oh boy, those are great if you want to make your head think

I'm looking to pick it up before the end of the sale period but was hoping it would turn up somewere cheaper - not because i dont think its worth its current price (~£18 on steam) but because i dont have much free cash until after the first week of January.

If you get it before December 31 you get a Initiate Pack with some weapons and points to spend in the in-game store for cosmetics. Those points can be spent on future expansions too.

In addition to what Holymorph said, you'll also get Issue 5 included with your purchase.

I'm really starting to think that FunCom should spend some of the money they got from the b2p/steam sales on marketing and publicity, if more people knew about this game i'm sure a HUGE number of people would be playing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who believes "the more people the better the game is", I just believe that this game is truly amazing, I have never been that hooked up to an MMO since 2008 when I started playing WoW.

EDIT: Thinking about this b2p model and how addicted to TSW currently I am, I remembered about GW2 and how bored I got about it after +50 hours of play. If TSW had that publicity, oh man...
    Last edited by Holymorph; 2012-12-30 at 11:15 PM.

I'm looking for a new game after TOR. I find myself with the need to actually play another game that is interactive. I saw this game when it was first released. But I paused on buying it because I did not want to buy a MMO that failed. However since this thread reaching 150 and pretty active. I'm considering playing it.

Is there any advice that you would give new comers?

Also it says the game model is free to try out. When I try to download it it asks for my information such as which payment I would be using..

Get it through Steam, it's at 22€ and if you get it before December 31 you get a nice Initiate Pack with some weapons, points to spend on the in-game store for cosmetics or future expansions, and you also get the Issue 5 (like a DLC) for free.

I recommend you reading the last 2 pages from this thread, I started playing it two days ago and you will find a lot of information on this thread since I have been asking a lot and I give some impressions after playing it by myself.

All I can say to you after reading the word "interactive" on your post is YES, buy it, you are going to love it. It may feel difficult at the beginning because of how skills work but you will get used to it within a few hours.

As for why its asking for information, I believe most MMO's are like that on registering. You can immediately take out your CC details from their website after registration if that worries you.

Quote Originally Posted by Laikai View Post
    As for why its asking for information, I believe most MMO's are like that on registering. You can immediately take out your CC details from their website after registration if that worries you.
    Here is what I do not get. It says I can play for free right away. When I try to download it. It clicks me a check out for buying the digital game with DLC for 20 dollars. I thought this game was free to try out? their is a total of 20 dollars at the bottom so I believe It wants me to check out the option. I thought though we could play it without buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Here is what I do not get. It says I can play for free right away. When I try to download it. It clicks me a check out for buying the digital game with DLC for 20 dollars. I thought this game was free to try out? their is a total of 20 dollars at the bottom so I believe It wants me to check out the option. I thought though we could play it without buying it.
    It's B2P, no sub, like GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    It's B2P, no sub, like GW2.
    That sounds somewhat interesting. When it first arrived. I thought it just another MMO. However reading the last few pages. People seem to take a strong liking to it. I'll try it out and see how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    That sounds somewhat interesting. When it first arrived. I thought it just another MMO. However reading the last few pages. People seem to take a strong liking to it. I'll try it out and see how I like it.
    It's definitely not just another mmo. But the question will still remain will you enjoy the style of this mmo. The B2P model surely makes it a lot more approachable though.

The best way to approach TSW too is to take your time and don't rush. You can stretch the the content out and make it last if you don't try and blitz it.

I wish TSW didn't have such an outdated combat system. That is my only major gripe with the game. Everything else about it is pretty decent.

Yeah the combat system is definitely a blemish on the entire package. The devs acknowledge that, so maybe they'll do something about it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    I wish TSW didn't have such an outdated combat system. That is my only major gripe with the game. Everything else about it is pretty decent.
    Speaking honestly. I read some of the reviews of this game when they were still taking pre orders. You got an extra boost in experience etc. I have a few questions if people who played the game would be so kind to answer. Seeing how I will buy this game in the upcoming week.

A: is there anything a new player should get used to when playing the game for first time

B: The whole buy to play I assume it mirrors GW2 system. Do you get full access to content. Are their any perks they offer on the side for money. If so. Which are most usefull

C: Is the server active? do you interact with the other factions often

A) Maybe do some research on the wheel, or look on the forums for an idea on a build that you might like using to level. Or do what most did and jump in blind and learn as you go - honestly its probably for the best. Some of the posts I gave recently about cosmetic items or the crafting guide will be useful at some point too.

B) Essentially get your account by the end of the month and you'll have everything in game currently for free. Next month and you'll have to pay a nominal amount for the last issue of content. Future content will require the same payment but you never have to pay for what you already have, once you've bought it, its yours for good.

Subscribers (or life members) get:
    "The Time Accelerator". This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 16 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by subscribers or life time members.
    $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months) - these points will always be enough to cover the new content for the month cost wise.
    Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month) - Decembers item was a mayan helm cosmetic.
    10% discount to everything in the Item Store except Content Packs or other Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).

The store largely has cosmetic sets of clothing, pets and titles. There's some pots for +xp from mobs but that's about the only thing off hand that isn't novelty/vanity. We haven't seen what an issue will cost from the store yet, but estimates range from $5 to the full $10 worth of points - probably varies depending on funcom's estimation on the value of a pack. Issue 5 which was given out for free this months had a four part mission where each quest rewarded a signet (end game mod to your items to boost them) and the last quest gave a 2nd tier quality (blue quality) signet. These quests (like all quests) are repeatable every three days. That and they're perhaps some of the best quests/storytelling in the game thus far - which in and of itself is saying A LOT.

Personally I think that both pure buy player, subscription and lifetime members all have a pretty good deal with the model.

C) Servers are active. There is a one server technology where if you party up with someone not from your server you get a popup asking if you want to move to their server. Cabals (guilds) can have members from multiple servers on them - but only one faction. Parties in PVE content can be of any faction.

Note for clarification: With the transition to B2P, point A mentions account by the end of the month. If you don't buy secret world as it looks like you'll not by the end of December you'll have to purchase Issue 5 (probably $5 or something). Not a big deal, you won't need anything from it till you've played through a good chunk of the game anyways - which depending on how quickly you devour content could be a month to months down the track anyway.
    Last edited by Laikai; 2012-12-31 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Laikai View Post
    A) Maybe do some research on the wheel, or look on the forums for an idea on a build that you might like using to level. Or do what most did and jump in blind and learn as you go - honestly its probably for the best. Some of the posts I gave recently about cosmetic items or the crafting guide will be useful at some point too.

B) Essentially get your account by the end of the month and you'll have everything in game currently for free. Next month and you'll have to pay a nominal amount for the last issue of content. Future content will require the same payment but you never have to pay for what you already have, once you've bought it, its yours for good.

Subscribers (or life members) get:
    "The Time Accelerator". This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 16 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by subscribers or life time members.
    $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months) - these points will always be enough to cover the new content for the month cost wise.
    Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month) - Decembers item was a mayan helm cosmetic.
    10% discount to everything in the Item Store except Content Packs or other Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).

The store largely has cosmetic sets of clothing, pets and titles. There's some pots for +xp from mobs but that's about the only thing off hand that isn't novelty/vanity. We haven't seen what an issue will cost from the store yet, but estimates range from $5 to the full $10 worth of points - probably varies depending on funcom's estimation on the value of a pack. Issue 5 which was given out for free this months had a four part mission where each quest rewarded a signet (end game mod to your items to boost them) and the last quest gave a 2nd tier quality (blue quality) signet. These quests (like all quests) are repeatable every three days. That and they're perhaps some of the best quests/storytelling in the game thus far - which in and of itself is saying A LOT.

Personally I think that both pure buy player, subscription and lifetime members all have a pretty good deal with the model.

C) Servers are active. There is a one server technology where if you party up with someone not from your server you get a popup asking if you want to move to their server. Cabals (guilds) can have members from multiple servers on them - but only one faction. Parties in PVE content can be of any faction.

Note for clarification: With the transition to B2P, point A mentions account by the end of the month. If you don't buy secret world as it looks like you'll not by the end of December you'll have to purchase Issue 5 (probably $5 or something). Not a big deal, you won't need anything from it till you've played through a good chunk of the game anyways - which depending on how quickly you devour content could be a month to months down the track anyway.
    Thanks this was help full. I will likely buy it in the upcoming week. Currently I am playing TOR however due to the increasing grind. I have not signed in on it for almost a week now. Its still fun to play however I maxed most of my alts to 50 and I have no interest in raiding. This does seem to peak my interest in a MMO and it is still around.

Reading through a few pages some people seem to be excited and convinced if it was promote more. It would get a ton more attention. I plan on at least giving it a try. I do admit it sounds fun to be apart of a certain faction. I would have gotten this game sooner but I looked off reviews and a ton of them were now glowing at the time for this product.

It must have improved a lot since beta.
    I was in the first Beta but the game felt so bad, quality wise I did not want to ever touch it again.
    But then it became B2P and I decided to give it a shot anyway.

I'm loving it.
    About time an MMO came out that treats you like an adult.
    Not just talking about the cussing, sex and gore but also the difficulty of the common quests.
    The dungeons are all very well made as well, I never get the ''Oh god, now to kill the same adds half an hour to kill a reskinned tank and spank boss'' feeling like in some other games.
    I'm just having a good time overall really.

Custimisation has been improved but is still pretty lackluster, the combat is outdated and the graphics are nothing to write home about.
    Also heard the pvp is bad but haven't tried that out yet myself.

All in all you can get a lot of hours out of this game, it's a lot of fun and cheap as well now.
    I'd recommend it to anyone who's still on the edge.