1. #3221

    Question about The Secret World

    Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

    After playing WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR (and a long long list of other games to follow) i am looking for a new game.
    Now the Secret World has caught my eye, though there is one issue! I really do not like Horror.
    Now i have heard different opinions about the game itself - so my question for you is: Is The Secret World something i would like if i dislike horror/real chair shaking moments?

    If the secret world would not be my game - are there any other games you can recommend?
    Ty in advance!

    Velandra

  2. #3222
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

    After playing WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR (and a long long list of other games to follow) i am looking for a new game.
    Now the Secret World has caught my eye, though there is one issue! I really do not like Horror.
    Now i have heard different opinions about the game itself - so my question for you is: Is The Secret World something i would like if i dislike horror/real chair shaking moments?

    If the secret world would not be my game - are there any other games you can recommend?
    Ty in advance!

    Velandra
    You won't really be scared playing TSW. There are some tense moments (dim lighting, atmosphere) but nothing going to jump out and scare you. There's a little bit of gore, but nothing exceptionally graphic from what I can recall. The entire game isn't really a "horror" game anyways; it mainly got that label during press betas and such when the entire game was not available. Egypt isn't horror themed. Transylvania is dark and gloomy, but nothing scary.

  3. #3223
    Thank you for your quick answer SJ = )
    I Think ill give the game a go then! ^^

    Another slight question though - is TSW still active, or is a bit like GW2, Huge hype and then slowly starting to dissapear (along the lines of the community)

  4. #3224
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Thank you for your quick answer SJ = )
    I Think ill give the game a go then! ^^

    Another slight question though - is TSW still active, or is a bit like GW2, Huge hype and then slowly starting to dissapear (along the lines of the community)
    Well there was never the same about of hype for TSW as there was for GW2, and it was never that big - I think they sold about 800k copies of the game, so not a gigantic succes, but it was always going to be a niche game.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  5. #3225
    Stood in the Fire Haizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The top sock drawer
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Indeed, that's probably the biggest problem right there. Maybe more than any other fight in the game, the 2nd boss in SH requires one to have a tank that's completely on the ball and capable of adapting to the constantly changing situations in that fight. I won't claim to be a perfect tank, or even have the hubris to refer to myself as a great tank, but I have successfully completed every SH run I've been apart of as a tank thus far, and I'm getting better at it each time. That's why I often volunteer to run people through SH, even thought it can be so time consuming: that fight is probably better practice for a NM-aspiring tank than even the Gatekeeper was. And unlike the Gatekeeper, I can repeat that fight as often as I like.

    Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you on Friday. What's the name of the character you plan on running SH with, so I know who's whisper I should be looking out for?
    Musunoki, same name as my warlock in my sig. I'm building a tank spec, because I like the tanking in TSW, but I also really like the AR/Shotgun combo. Just really fun to play it. Yeah, if I get to get on earlier in the week(might have a night or two off raiding) I will hit you up.

  6. #3226
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Thank you for your quick answer SJ = )
    I Think ill give the game a go then! ^^

    Another slight question though - is TSW still active, or is a bit like GW2, Huge hype and then slowly starting to dissapear (along the lines of the community)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well there was never the same about of hype for TSW as there was for GW2, and it was never that big - I think they sold about 800k copies of the game, so not a gigantic succes, but it was always going to be a niche game.
    Going along with what Venziir said, the game is still fairly active and got a huge influx of new players since the buy-to-play conversion. If you try it out, the main thing you need to do is be open-minded as it's a different MMO from what you're used to. Also, plan on getting your ass kicked at some point or another, because it will happen.

  7. #3227
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    22,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

    After playing WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR (and a long long list of other games to follow) i am looking for a new game.
    Now the Secret World has caught my eye, though there is one issue! I really do not like Horror.
    Now i have heard different opinions about the game itself - so my question for you is: Is The Secret World something i would like if i dislike horror/real chair shaking moments?
    It's a horror-based setting, but not a horror-based game, if that makes any sense. Survival horror like the Resident Evil series rely on harsh restrictions on ammo and the like to provide increased tension, and have constant scare-the-pants-off-you moments where stuff jumps out of nowhere.

    TSW doesn't really have that. It's still a horror setting with heavy influences from Lovecraft, but rather than the usual horror story (where you'd be a regular joe trying to escape/survive), you're an arse-kicking warrior of destiny who's going to kick tentacles and take names. In general, I'd describe it more as "Urban Fantasy". It's as much "horror" as, say, the Hellboy movies/comics are, which share a similar setting and influences.



    If that doesn't scare you, TSW probably won't either.


    Edit: there's one story mission, actually, that's sort of close. You're sneaking through a car park with the power out, using a headlamp for light, and if any of the patrolling enemies aggro you, they'll kill you. That's the closest to "horror", and it's really not that bad, more just tense.
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-02-05 at 07:50 PM.

  8. #3228
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Edit: there's one story mission, actually, that's sort of close. You're sneaking through a car park with the power out, using a headlamp for light, and if any of the patrolling enemies aggro you, they'll kill you. That's the closest to "horror", and it's really not that bad, more just tense.
    There's another story mission involving an asylum, that actually has a couple of pop-out scares, along with the usual and expected creepy atmosphere. And then there's the roller coaster ride in the Theme Park Tycoon mission....

    I don't want to (literally) scare away a potential new TSW player, but I do want to put in that, while it may not be a "horror-based" game per se, it does definitely have strong horror themes, especially in certain areas and missions.
    "Chaos isn't just about eating fortune cookies and shitting out wisdom. It's about fingering your own bullet hole, because you know secrets are there...or because it's so funny! Hee hee!"

  9. #3229
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    There's another story mission involving an asylum, that actually has a couple of pop-out scares, along with the usual and expected creepy atmosphere. And then there's the roller coaster ride in the Theme Park Tycoon mission....
    I actually forgot about those.

    In unrelated news:

    https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/statu...76434523516928

    Nominated for "Best Original Composition: Gaming" and "Best Sync/Use of Existing Music in Trailers and Promos" at the Music+Sound Awards 2013. I remember the launch trailer with the Dinah Washington song, but I wonder which original composition(s) they were nominated for.

    Edit-

    Here are the pages for the categories:

    Best Original & Best Existing

  10. #3230
    Moderator Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    22,616
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    There's another story mission involving an asylum, that actually has a couple of pop-out scares, along with the usual and expected creepy atmosphere. And then there's the roller coaster ride in the Theme Park Tycoon mission....
    Yeah, I remember the asylum, that's kind of there too but not to the same degree as, say, a Resident Evil game. Especially if you figure out the "puzzle" part of that relatively early; most of the scares are of the "you picked the wrong option" variety.

    I still wouldn't label TSW as a horror game. Horror aspects, sure, but in the same sense that Hellboy does; I'd still label the Hellboy movies as entertaining action/comedy, not horror.

  11. #3231
    I would say that the game doesn't horrify you or scare you, but it creeps you out. Honestly, Deputy Andy, wtf?

  12. #3232
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I still wouldn't label TSW as a horror game. Horror aspects, sure, but in the same sense that Hellboy does; I'd still label the Hellboy movies as entertaining action/comedy, not horror.
    Again, I wouldn't label it as such either, and the Hellboy comparison is a decent one, but it does still have just enough horror elements, some of which spike up often enough in the game, that I feel it fair to warn someone who says that they do not like horror in general about them, even if those horror elements are not as prevalent as in a true horror game.

    Rohan brings to mind a good point too: Even if it isn't outright horrifying, it does still maintain a fairly creepy atmosphere- again, especially during certain portions of the game -that some may still find somewhat unsettling.
    Last edited by RadasNoir; 2013-02-05 at 10:10 PM.
    "Chaos isn't just about eating fortune cookies and shitting out wisdom. It's about fingering your own bullet hole, because you know secrets are there...or because it's so funny! Hee hee!"

  13. #3233
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I would say that the game doesn't horrify you or scare you, but it creeps you out. Honestly, Deputy Andy, wtf?
    Best voice over ever.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  14. #3234
    I absolutly loved this game my only problem with it is i dont have the time in my life to play it.
    It really reminded me of a resident evil style mmo game.
    Some of the questing in it was mind blowing compared to what i've been accustomed to for many years. You know when you been playing games like wow for so long and then you do an investigation quest in TSW your head explodes untill you start to get the hang of it.
    Story was is pretty awesome dungeons awesome some where pretty buggy and then the whole elite nightmare gatekeeper stuff for the more hardcore players. Fight mechanics for 5 man bosses where a nice change and very visual.......all in all a very awesome game worth paying for if all you ever do is play thru the story once then never touch it again

  15. #3235
    Stood in the Fire Haizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The top sock drawer
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Again, I wouldn't label it as such either, and the Hellboy comparison is a decent one, but it does still have just enough horror elements, some of which spike up often enough in the game, that I feel it fair to warn someone who says that they do not like horror in general about them, even if those horror elements are not as prevalent as in a true horror game.

    Rohan brings to mind a good point too: Even if it isn't outright horrifying, it does still maintain a fairly creepy atmosphere- again, especially during certain portions of the game -that some may still find somewhat unsettling.
    Again thanks for the run yesterday It was fun. I'm also glad I finally got elite SH down.

    Also, speaking of Deputy Andy. You know him and Sandy are supposed to be a "hidden" kind of forbidden love, but one of the quest devs decided to take it a little further in a later quest(can't remember which quest though, but it is funny). It basically screams that they like each other, while earlier in the game is a little obvious but still discreet.

  16. #3236
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Again thanks for the run yesterday It was fun. I'm also glad I finally got elite SH down.

    Also, speaking of Deputy Andy. You know him and Sandy are supposed to be a "hidden" kind of forbidden love, but one of the quest devs decided to take it a little further in a later quest(can't remember which quest though, but it is funny). It basically screams that they like each other, while earlier in the game is a little obvious but still discreet.
    Andy won't pursue it because he is scared, men and women, blah blah blah, etc. Sandy won't pursue unless Andy is ready.

    Would they shut up and just kiss already /sigh

    Also wtb sandy not so.... old and wrinkly?

  17. #3237
    Oke - After all the comments yesterday, thanks for that guys really helpfull! , I haven't completly decided yet!
    What i wonder at this point: is there any sort of Trial or Buddy keys or such in wich I can try the game out? Doesn't need to be max level trying out or unlimited trial or anything, but maybe just a quick peek! = )

  18. #3238
    Pit Lord Razael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Oke - After all the comments yesterday, thanks for that guys really helpfull! , I haven't completly decided yet!
    What i wonder at this point: is there any sort of Trial or Buddy keys or such in wich I can try the game out? Doesn't need to be max level trying out or unlimited trial or anything, but maybe just a quick peek! = )
    PM me your e-mail please and ill send you a 24 h Buddy key

  19. #3239
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Posts
    765
    Perhaps it's been discussed already but what are your thoughts on the next auxillary weapon - The Whip?
    To me it feels like it will be a dps weapon, perhaps with a touch of crowd control (WHIP THEM INTO SUBMISSION!). I really hope all the Aux weps will have this special "feel" to them, even those to come. (I love the quantum brace, the effects are awesome <3)

  20. #3240

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •