Quote Originally Posted by lizon View Post
    The game is currently 25% off on Steam for $22.49

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215280/

I bought it about a month ago and loved the entire questing experience. Now I need to get into the instances.
    The instances are fantastic. My first time in Polaris will always be one of my fondest MMO memories.

Dungeons is another thing I really like about this game thus far. It's like they read my mind when they made them.

They are very thematic and not too long. They don't bore you with endless thrash fights, they go straight to the boss fights...And of course no dungeon would be complete without the big badass hard boss at the end!
    I think Polaris is one of the greatest starter dungeons I've experienced in MMOs. I run it like 5 times in a row. :P

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    Dungeons is another thing I really like about this game thus far. It's like they read my mind when they made them.

They are very thematic and not too long. They don't bore you with endless thrash fights, they go straight to the boss fights...And of course no dungeon would be complete without the big badass hard boss at the end!
    I think Polaris is one of the greatest starter dungeons I've experienced in MMOs. I run it like 5 times in a row. :P
    Polaris is amazing indeed. One of my favorite dungeons in any MMO i've played.

I managed to get a copy of this to check out. Initial impressions were god awful. At max settings the graphics looked like something played on a PS2. It was....weird honestly. The amount of cutscenes and whatnot leading you in to the game was equally terrible, ridiculously cliched and cheesy, and made my wife and I just laugh hysterically.

At this point I started to have no hope for the game being good at all.

Then I got my weapon, went to the first teleport place, and felt like I was in some weird Walking Dead universe with zombies all over the place. The game still looked pretty awful, but something about it started becoming really, really fun. I felt a little stifled with the quest tracking system and not being able to pick everything up at once, but completing the missions was fun.

Now I'm actually looking forward to playing it for a little when I get home. Are my first impressions similar to anyone else's? Like most MMO's I feel after an adjustment period of playing and not really liking something it will tend to grow on you, so while I no I will never pay for more content in this game it feels like it will be completely worth playing through all the missions included with the box.
    BAD WOLF

I never really vibed well with the beginning of the game. Once I got into Kingsmouth and did missions and got to know some of the NPCs, I really started to like it. The extra NPC dialogues are great for setting and immersion. When I finally got to Egypt, I feel in love.

My favorite area, and the one in which I really started to enjoy the game, was the second area (haven't played in a while and forgot the name) right after Kingsmouth. The amusement park was my single favorite place in the game.

Interestingly enough my most hated place was right after this zone, the Blue Mountain? Ugh, I couldn't get through that place fast enough (although the haunted mansion was really cool).

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    My favorite area, and the one in which I really started to enjoy the game, was the second area (haven't played in a while and forgot the name) right after Kingsmouth. The amusement park was my single favorite place in the game.

Interestingly enough my most hated place was right after this zone, the Blue Mountain? Ugh, I couldn't get through that place fast enough (although the haunted mansion was really cool).
    Savage Coast was really cool I liked Innsmouth Academy too. No running in the halls, they are quite slick with gore.

Blue Mountain was a drag. It had the potential to be so much more interesting than it was. Scorched Desert and City of the Sun God definitely made up for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I never really vibed well with the beginning of the game. Once I got into Kingsmouth and did missions and got to know some of the NPCs, I really started to like it. The extra NPC dialogues are great for setting and immersion. When I finally got to Egypt, I feel in love.
    I had an odd feeling that the beginning of the game was not indicative of how the game actually played out...luckily I've learned a little patience with games from playing so many of them these days that I didn't want to toss the baby out with the bath water.

They really failed at the intro and beginning experience though...it was just...beyond awful. All over the place, non sensical, and overly filled with cutscenes. The lore and achievement system was the only thing to catch my eye before I started to play the game proper...though it did remind me of PS2/GTA style gameplay...which isn't necessarily bad.
    BAD WOLF

try to stick with it for a while, kitty, it's worth it to at least play one complete play through the main campaign (and all of the investigative mission, pure awesome)

the story is a bit abstract combined with a bit of "Fargo" but personally that's why I really liked it

The game is €14.99 on Origin if anyone cares

Blue Mountain was a drag. It had the potential to be so much more interesting than it was. Scorched Desert and City of the Sun God definitely made up for it though.
    BM is total shit. They could remove that zone entirely and aside from the XP/gear hit you'd take, I don't think anyone would care. The only interesting thing about that zone was the main storyline quests finally starting to pick up and get to the good bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    BM is total shit. They could remove that zone entirely and aside from the XP/gear hit you'd take, I don't think anyone would care. The only interesting thing about that zone was the main storyline quests finally starting to pick up and get to the good bits.
    I completely agree. I loved the mansion, and I really liked Old Joseph. The Darkness War dungeon was pretty good; I was hoping to see more involvement with that storyline. Oh, and fuck "Ami Legend." That mission pissed me off so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    try to stick with it for a while, kitty, it's worth it to at least play one complete play through the main campaign (and all of the investigative mission, pure awesome)

the story is a bit abstract combined with a bit of "Fargo" but personally that's why I really liked it
    That was the vibe I was getting once I hit the zombie town...definitely a unique vibe with me being some strange fist weapon wielding, dragon ninja being put into an episode of supernatural. Kinda pulpy maybe?

I like that they did something different. I can also see why it failed as a subcription game, because it is definitely niche. Nice to see such a liberal F2P model and glad some money can be given to them to play the game as a one time purchase.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I had an odd feeling that the beginning of the game was not indicative of how the game actually played out...luckily I've learned a little patience with games from playing so many of them these days that I didn't want to toss the baby out with the bath water.

They really failed at the intro and beginning experience though...it was just...beyond awful. All over the place, non sensical, and overly filled with cutscenes. The lore and achievement system was the only thing to catch my eye before I started to play the game proper...though it did remind me of PS2/GTA style gameplay...which isn't necessarily bad.
    Wut? The Tokyo flashback was awesome. IMO. They did not fail the intro, theres far worse out there, it sets the theme and the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Wut? The Tokyo flashback was awesome. IMO. They did not fail the intro, theres far worse out there, it sets the theme and the mood.
    The whole intro, from the moment you log in the game is too rushed, too cliche, and pretty confusing. I have no idea what my purpose in the game was and the Tokyo flashback aws pretty much icing to a cake of having to be thrown into action with random abilities and no weight to whatever story you are taking part of.

This was how my time from log on went:
    -Show some random time period where my character has some weird experience with blue energy
    -Go back in time a random amount of days and my room that was not destroyed in the future is now destroyed and I have blue stuff coming out of me.
    -Go back forward in time a couple of days, now I can magically do ball tricks with this blue energy I'm a savant!
    -Jump further in time, get knocked out by a random asian guy
    -Placed in a random setting, followed butterflies with 100 cutscenes to get to the guy who finally starts to explain my story...ok, I'm beginning to get invested in what's going on
    -just kidding! get molested b an asian chick with horrible graphics like this is GTA Vice City just to flashback in someone else's body with a bunch of random characters I certainly don't care about, get immediately thrown into very wonky combat (b/c you've had no adjustment period) that makes me feel like I'm going to die as a verteran MMO player and I'm constantly worried about running around when it seems I shouldn't be fighting 100 mobs right off the bat.
    -realize it's not possible to die, forget what I'm even doing...do the equivalent of chase butterflies
    -end everything by still not knowing what's going on and waking up back in the place I just was.

Total time in control of my character, 3 minutes. Total confusing cutscene time 30 minutes. Utter disaster.

Take the quest to go into the portal to my first zombie town, and the relief of an actual story and questing experience starts to unfold. Game dramatically improves and I start having fun.

Just my 5 cents.
    BAD WOLF

The whole intro, from the moment you log in the game is too rushed, too cliche, and pretty confusing. I have no idea what my purpose in the game was and the Tokyo flashback aws pretty much icing to a cake of having to be thrown into action with random abilities and no weight to whatever story you are taking part of.

This was how my time from log on went:
    -Show some random time period where my character has some weird experience with blue energy
    -Go back in time a random amount of days and my room that was not destroyed in the future is now destroyed and I have blue stuff coming out of me.
    -Go back forward in time a couple of days, now I can play magically ball tricks with this blue energy
    -Jump further in time, get knocked out by a random asian guy
    -Placed in a random setting, followed butterflies with 100 cutscenes to get to the guy who finally starts to explain my story...ok, I'm beginning to get invested in what's going on
    -just kidding! get molested b an asian chick with horrible graphics like this is GTA Vice City just to flashback in someone else's body with a bunch of random characters I certainly don't care about, get immediately thrown into very wonky combat (b/c you've had no adjustment period) that makes me feel like I'm going to die as a verteran MMO player and I'm constantly worried about running around when it seems I shouldn't be fighting 100 mobs right off the bat.
    -realize it's not possible to die, forget what I'm even doing...do the equivalent of chase butterflies
    -end everything by still not knowing what's going on and waking up back in the place I just was.

Total time in control of my character, 3 minutes. Total confusing cutscene time 30 minutes. Utter disaster.

Take the quest to go into the portal to my first zombie town, and the relief of an actual story and questing experience starts to unfold. Game dramatically improves and I start having fun.

Just my 5 cents.
    You forgot the fellatio! Did you try the Templar or Illuminati openings? They make a little (a little) more sense. The Dragon don't make senseby nature.

Snip
    The characters in the flashback represent the 3 factions in the game. They are there to aclimatize you to the way stuff rolls on The Secret World. Random is what Dragon is all about. Chaos. You chose the wrong faction if that isn't your cup of tea. You killed some some dudes in your initial combat sequence. You don't do that in other MMOs? Jump into the action killing pigs and shiz? This ain't WoW/GW2/Rift/SWTOR leveling (just using recent trendy games as reference, i don't have the audacity to assume to know what sort of older and harder MMOs you've played as a MMO veteran). You will get your ass kicked. And your brain will be put to function.
    I don't mind the cutscenes. They are cliche and weirdly made i didn't understand it at first either, but this is a mmoRPG. Complaining about cutscenes in RPGs is .. well. Ye. Trust me all will make sense in due time. I suppose i agree with you in a way, that was me trying to make sense of something that for you is new. Gets hard to remember how i first felt when i started.

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 09:04 PM ----------

You forgot the fellatio! Did you try the Templar or Illuminati openings? They make a little (a little) more sense. The Dragon don't make sense by nature.
    This. /10chars

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 09:06 PM ----------

And man i totally fucked up yesterday. Saved exactly 35 SPs to buy the Whip skill. Bought the Chainsaw one by mistake. FML.

That was the vibe I was getting once I hit the zombie town...definitely a unique vibe with me being some strange fist weapon wielding, dragon ninja being put into an episode of supernatural. Kinda pulpy maybe?

I like that they did something different. I can also see why it failed as a subcription game, because it is definitely niche. Nice to see such a liberal F2P model and glad some money can be given to them to play the game as a one time purchase.
    Stick with it, Kitty. I did find some of the early cutscenes lolworthy (play as Dragon) and had a pretty bad case of paralysis by analysis when I cracked open the ability wheel. Like the deck system (once I got the hang of it) but found the combat a bit clunky. My character's face in some of the cutscenes is hilarious. But rolled through it anyway because the quest system is outstanding. Yesterday I chased a siren's song and died a few times...which I thought was funny in itself (yeah didn't see the traps...derp). I also stole a dead man's outfit, infiltrated a super sekret organization's operation, and helped some kid's rc plane take pictures of their base. Helped said kid build a flamethrower. Capped off the night by melting down a bunch of zombies at a scrapyard, and I think I'm going to have to take the scrapyard owner's dog for a walk later. I'm not sure if there's an mmo who's got a quest system that can rival the offerings of TSW to be honest. Yeah, the graphics aren't all that great, but they make up for it with tone and atmosphere. Warts and all, I think it's well worth the price of admission. It's just a shame that the intro is a little rough, and the tutorials aren't great.

A tip: Don't try to pick up every quest you see. This isn't WoW/TOR style quest hubs, don't even bother trying to gather them all. Just make a note of where you found them on your map and go back to them later. I usually just focus on one mission at a time, and some of them are pretty involved. When you complete 30 missions, you're granted a one time bonus of 1200 points that you can use in the cash shop. Don't know if your copy of the game comes with issue #5 (mine did) but I'd suggest using them for the dlc unless you really want the buffs/fluff/cosmetics. Those set of bonus points expire in 30 days. Used mine to pay for issue #6, and I'm a longgggg ways from getting there since I'm still running around in Kingsmouth.

@sunshine, thanks for the sound advice...I'm not even sure what mine game with as it was given to me

@everyone else, I know the dragon was Chaos...but that doesn't explain poor cutscenes. And I don't expect to be bombarded with hundreds of them every time I take 2 steps regardless of what genre it is. That is just poor management of them. I'm not bashing the game, just giving my perspective on how it opened. It could have very well turned a lot of people off, but I'm not that impatient.

Anyways, I'm going to actually play and stop ranting about it
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    A tip: Don't try to pick up every quest you see. This isn't WoW/TOR style quest hubs, don't even bother trying to gather them all. Just make a note of where you found them on your map and go back to them later. I usually just focus on one mission at a time, and some of them are pretty involved.
    What i do usually is look at where i started on the map. And then clear missions on a NPC by NPC basis, along with all Secundaries found in the path of other missions. It helps (me at least) get involved with NPC in question, as if each NPC represents a quest chain? to me it kinda does. the flavour dialogues are pretty good and the voice acting is awesome.