1. #3501
    Over 9000! Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,668
    I played a bit in beta, and was disappointed in a lot of things. What has improved since release?
    Belief can become reality!

  2. #3502
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I played a bit in beta, and was disappointed in a lot of things. What has improved since release?
    Besides auxiliary weapons (you can equip a specific 3rd weapon and get 1 extra passive and active skill from it) I don't think anything fundamentally changed besides the payment model.

  3. #3503
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,243
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    besides the payment model.
    Which for a lot of people is where the disappointment stems from. As such, it's a very fun game to pick up for cheap that you can play at no further cost unless you want to continue the story beyond the original game (DLC/xpac)
    BAD WOLF

  4. #3504
    Hi all -- here are two 72-hour trial keys if you'd like to test out the game. The timer starts from registration, so be sure to be ready login as soon as you can after the download. Let me know if you snag them!

    XX3KVLMU8CDL6BADLLNS
    RC98X3QG7EL27347NA58

    Here's the place to register:
    https://register.thesecretworld.com/account
    Last edited by Ortwig; 2013-04-19 at 04:47 PM.

  5. #3505
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Which for a lot of people is where the disappointment stems from. As such, it's a very fun game to pick up for cheap that you can play at no further cost unless you want to continue the story beyond the original game (DLC/xpac)
    This is the big thing. I would NEVER pay a subscription for this game. But buying it and playing as a single player game that has multiplayer options...that's pretty fun. And for a $30 price tag this has been one of the few game purchases I have been super happy with. I've already put in $5 worth of money for the cash shop, and I might put in more in the future. Plus I am super impressed/frustrated at the lack of hand-holding in the game. Most of the time I am left to my own devices to figure the mission out, and thank god for that built in web browser...I've used that a lot after fumbling around without a clue on things.

  6. #3506
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Plus I am super impressed/frustrated at the lack of hand-holding in the game. Most of the time I am left to my own devices to figure the mission out, and thank god for that built in web browser...I've used that a lot after fumbling around without a clue on things.
    That's the great thing about the web browser - it's built in because it's supposed to be part of the game, not just a convenience feature. It's basically used as your character's mobile browser, and you have to use it (unless you tab out of course) for all the investigation mission clues because that's exactly what your character would have to be doing.

  7. #3507
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    After I upgrade my talismans some more, I'm thinking about trying out a new weapon. Shotgun is fun, but I'm wondering what else might compliment Elemental well. What about Hammer?
    The Gunslinger deck on the website. The other weapon would be Pistols.

  8. #3508
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheren View Post
    That's the great thing about the web browser - it's built in because it's supposed to be part of the game, not just a convenience feature. It's basically used as your character's mobile browser, and you have to use it (unless you tab out of course) for all the investigation mission clues because that's exactly what your character would have to be doing.
    Best thing about the web browser is not having to tab out or go AFK to order pizza.

  9. #3509
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Best thing about the web browser is not having to tab out or go AFK to order pizza.
    Sometimes I still tab out out of pure instinct.

  10. #3510
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    12,243
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Sometimes I still tab out out of pure instinct.
    To be fair the browser's functionality is very poor, so I have to alt tab a lot anyways. Not to say that isn't welcome or cool, because it is, but yeah. It works better than Steam's in game browser for me though, so that's a plus.
    BAD WOLF

  11. #3511
    I had a lot of fun with pistol/elemental. They have some nice synergy (crit and chain attacks mostly). Hammer is also a nice pairing, with crit and strike synergies

    And all three together gives you plenty of options, as hammer and pistol both apply and trigger off Weaken (and all three like crit). I do like pistols though. They've got lots of nice utility - the crit group boost is nice for starting critical chains, and it has a nice Cleanse attack in Collaboration.

    If you like abilities that trigger off penetrates or afflicted you'll have to look elsewhere.

  12. #3512
    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    I do like pistols though. They've got lots of nice utility - the crit group boost is nice for starting critical chains, and it has a nice Cleanse attack in Collaboration.
    Yeah pistol based builds are becoming a favourite of mine at the moment particularly for the NYC raid.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 08:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    I do like pistols though. They've got lots of nice utility - the crit group boost is nice for starting critical chains, and it has a nice Cleanse attack in Collaboration.
    Yeah pistol based builds are becoming a favourite of mine at the moment particularly for the NYC raid.

  13. #3513
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,783
    Is there another weapon that synergizes well with Afflicted states? I say that because my Shock (adding DoT to target Passive) + Blaze combo (with the +40% crit to Afflicted Target Passive) is pretty much my bread and butter. Plus I just really like lobbing lightning and fire. Aesthetically I still like pulling a shotgun over the shoulder for a single one-handed shot (Out for a Kill) since its such an action movie cliche.

    Also, I got into Eqypt over the weekend and really like the new setting. Its a completely new environment, but it retains the sense of ominous mystery that Solomon Island had. I'm also curious whether the storyline from Solomon Island will continue because it "seems" that Egypt is completely different. But I'm wondering if its one of those things that seems unrelated, but by the end you see how they are related.

  14. #3514
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Is there another weapon that synergizes well with Afflicted states? I say that because my Shock (adding DoT to target Passive) + Blaze combo (with the +40% crit to Afflicted Target Passive) is pretty much my bread and butter. Plus I just really like lobbing lightning and fire. Aesthetically I still like pulling a shotgun over the shoulder for a single one-handed shot (Out for a Kill) since its such an action movie cliche.

    Also, I got into Eqypt over the weekend and really like the new setting. Its a completely new environment, but it retains the sense of ominous mystery that Solomon Island had. I'm also curious whether the storyline from Solomon Island will continue because it "seems" that Egypt is completely different. But I'm wondering if its one of those things that seems unrelated, but by the end you see how they are related.
    Solomon is a seperate storyline and the first few updates continued it a little, recently they been adding to Egypt. Um there are a few passives in Assault rifle that produces affliction on crit or pen (one or the other I can't remember).

  15. #3515
    http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:weapon-choices

    That's a short guide that has tables for all synergies (state, trigger and subtypes). Elemental is the only one that uses both Afflicted and crits - but it synergizes with pistols on both crit and chain attacks. The downside with using only Elemental/Pistols/Shotgun is that they're all support weapons, so you have very little damage mitigation or healing.

    Generally you'd base a combo on either state or trigger synergies (afflicted or crit for elemental), as subtype limits you to either single target or aoe attacks. If you want synergies on both trigger and weaken/afflicted (hindered and impaired are much rarer), you'll be very limited: hammer/pistol, blade/blood and rifle/fist are the only three pairs that combo on both. Not sure if you really gain that much by going for such a combo. Probably better to mix in passives from three or four different weapons that synergize well with your actives.

  16. #3516
    Haven't played in quite a while. I see it's a B2P/F2P model now but is there new content that is purchase only? I'm a little confused.


  17. #3517
    Yes the content that is being added now you have to pay for. I think it is a pretty good system myself.

  18. #3518
    TSW will always have a special place in my heart. I wouldn't touch it if it still had a sub though. Just not the best time for me financially. That's why I'm kind of hesitant as to what those b2p articles really are, is it just a couple of short quest chains or something at least a little bit more substantial. Gotta check for myself.


  19. #3519
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    TSW will always have a special place in my heart. I wouldn't touch it if it still had a sub though. Just not the best time for me financially. That's why I'm kind of hesitant as to what those b2p articles really are, is it just a couple of short quest chains or something at least a little bit more substantial. Gotta check for myself.
    I can't really say what it is in comparison to old updates, but I know the new update has a large quest chain and the new Whip auxiliary weapon.

  20. #3520
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Is there another weapon that synergizes well with Afflicted states? I say that because my Shock (adding DoT to target Passive) + Blaze combo (with the +40% crit to Afflicted Target Passive) is pretty much my bread and butter. Plus I just really like lobbing lightning and fire. Aesthetically I still like pulling a shotgun over the shoulder for a single one-handed shot (Out for a Kill) since its such an action movie cliche.

    Also, I got into Eqypt over the weekend and really like the new setting. Its a completely new environment, but it retains the sense of ominous mystery that Solomon Island had. I'm also curious whether the storyline from Solomon Island will continue because it "seems" that Egypt is completely different. But I'm wondering if its one of those things that seems unrelated, but by the end you see how they are related.
    One of the handiest features of the game (that a LOT of people miss) is the Search panel to the right of the ability wheel. Allows you to search on a condition (e.g. "Afflicted") and find other abilities that exploit it. Remember that passives can be from any weapon, not just equipped!

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-24 at 04:57 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    TSW will always have a special place in my heart. I wouldn't touch it if it still had a sub though. Just not the best time for me financially. That's why I'm kind of hesitant as to what those b2p articles really are, is it just a couple of short quest chains or something at least a little bit more substantial. Gotta check for myself.
    Basically you get the first 4 Issues with the purchase of the game (as well as the entire game -- no lockouts), and Issues 5 and 6 are DLCs through the cash shop. They generally run $5-10, but both quest chains take place relatively late in the game, so you won't miss out on much if you wait to purchase them later. Here's a run down on what's in the issues:

    http://unfair.co/tsw-guides/monthly-updates/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •