I hope these beta weekends don't backfire. It takes quite a few hours to really get into the meat of the game. I don't know if a weekend is really long enough, since it doesn't have something flashy like TERA's combat to really "wow" people right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Has the combat changed since the first free weekend? Or is it still.... well the same shit?
    They added in active dodge. It's pretty awesome. Combat's not pretty to look at (what game's, besides TERA, is?) but it definitely feels a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. I played Tera for about a day haven't picked it back up.

Anything to know or tips that'll help a lot for a player that has never played or even done any research on the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Anything to know or tips that'll help a lot for a player that has never played or even done any research on the game?
    Read your journal and use the in game browser. Ability queuing is on by default so turn that off. Go through the ability wheel before you pick your weapons to see which work well together. Of all else fails follow a preset deck. Some missions require brain power. You can't just AOE everything. You disassemble old gear and potions for crafting mats.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-15 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The only thing I can say that will help you enjoy the game is don't compare this to any other MMO's. It doesn't try to borrow from other games, and it really is an individual game. Don't try to rush, and don't expect to fly through content. Be aware of your mortality (plenty of stuff can and will kill you if you get careless) and read, read, read. Remember that it's a beta, not a free trial, and don't expect a WoW killer. Make some friends and do some missions with them.

Really consider your choice of faction before creating your character. Watch the videos and pick the one that you feel you fit into best. That will help you care more about your faction and character more than just picking Dragon, for example, because you think Asians are cool.

I would take your time when selecting your first weapon. Test them all out, and get a good feel for one. I prefer to stick to one main weapon, but will spend AP to get a basic finisher for my second weapon (so I have 2 instead of 1). Spending AP to get to the outer ring of a weapon means you'll get better abilities sooner. Picking a premade deck to work towards isn't a bad idea either. Spend SP ranking up your main weapon and talismans (gear), concentrating on damage first. I tend to spend SP on my main weapon and gear in sets of 3 ranks, then going back to my secondary weapon and catching it up. After that, I'll either hoard SP or fill out secondary roles on weapons.

TSW is fun on its own merits, and if you can make a connection with the game world, the more you'll feel invested. As long as you don't treat it the same way as other games (i.e. don't expect phat lewts and instant gratification, do things to do them; not for the rewards) you may enjoy it.

It takes a while to really get into the game and stumble upon the main story arc of the beginning zones. The game is definitely not for everyone. If you manage to get into Savage Coast (you'll want your gear to be QL3 at least) and don't get a good feel for it by then, it may not be your thing.

edit: If you are having trouble adapting to the basic UI keybinds, remap them in the "Controls" menu to something you're more familiar with, instead of fighting with the browser every time you try to bring up your bags.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-06-15 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks guys, good posts. That should help get me headed in the right direction.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is there some place we can look at the ability wheel and build decks outside of the game, or is all of that still under NDA?
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    You can find vids from the last weekend beta but those are old builds. There are changes but nothing too drastic.

I don't think the ability wheel is under NDA since it's fully available during the beta weekend. I'll probably be on for most of the night tonight, so feel free to friend me (default keybind is shift+F) or shoot me a whisper. My character's name is Roksana. I decided to go Russian.

On the topic of character names, when naming your character, you'll be given three boxes: first name, nickname, and last name. First and last names do not have to be unique. Your nickname, however, is your unique character name that people will use to add you to friends list and what will show up in cabal (guild) chat. It can contain dashes and numbers. You will appear to people as First "Nickname" Last in the world, unless people change their settings. Your nickname will always be visible.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Found one on this Polish site, but it's probably super outdated.

http://tsw.mmoz.pl/tsw-skillwheel.html
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account

This is the most updated vid you're gonna find. This is a month old, but like I said there aren't too many differences. Mostly where abilities fall in the ability trees.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the video format isn't super helpful for what I was trying to do, mainly browsing the skills and trying to piece together the various synergies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Yeah, the video format isn't super helpful for what I was trying to do, mainly browsing the skills and trying to piece together the various synergies.
    I wish there was a "calculator" type thing too. Using premade decks and using the ability search can only help so much.

Try http://thesecretsandbox.com/

It's not great, but it's better than nothing. Wahoozerman put up a program he wrote on the official site, but I can't search for it atm.

anyone have a mirror of the client up? I was going bouncing between 3-5MB/s, now I'm down under 10KB/s, and it isn't my net since I can get on and play Tribes and MW3 without lagging much at all.

Deleted
    55 minutes to go... what faction will you people try first?
    I'm going illuminati. A bit worried though about performance, read about people having problem with freezes both other BWE. Game is soon to be released, so question is if they will do a swtor when it come to release the game, or if they did work on it. Guess it's time to find out soon

I cant seem to get on at moment, cant connect to authencation server...anyone else?

Gonna try Illuminati as im going Templar at launch

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    55 minutes to go... what faction will you people try first?
    I'm going illuminati. A bit worried though about performance, read about people having problem with freezes both other BWE. Game is soon to be released, so question is if they will do a swtor when it come to release the game, or if they did work on it. Guess it's time to find out soon
    Going Dragon probably. Played Templar before in previous betas, and I think Illuminati is going to be completely overpopulated (The "America" faction, the cool/bad guys, etc). Want to be on the underdog side come Beta4 and pvp :P

Doh it says 16.00 GMT start but forgot clocks are hour different at mo so 8 mins to go >.>

Remember that faction choice really only matters in PvP and joining cabals. Story mission dialogue changes a bit, too. You can group up and do anything non-PvP with other factions.

Personally, I'm torn between Illuminati and Templars. I really relate to the Illuminati's M.O., but I like the moral conundrum facing the Templars.