Like I said, not everyone's cup of tea. If it feels like a single-player game, did you try finding anyone to play with? Did you try any of the dungeons?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just booted up the beta. If the opening cinematic for my Illuminati character is any indication of the quality of the game, all I have to say is WTF. I have seen better cinematics in PS2 games. The characters literally look like they are from that generation, the mouths don't match up, the models clip through objects, just absolutely terrible looking.

Will continue playing though which is hopefully better.

Just got into the actual game part. On Ultra, this game looks like freaking Grand Theft Auto 3, maybe worse since all the cars are static blocks of awful. The cinematics look slightly better though so perhaps it was just because it wasn't on ultra the first one looked so bad.

Edit: The game actually looks okay once you are into like the tunnels actually fighting stuff.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-16 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, after a few consecutive hours of gameplay, I don't think I'm going to be able to pay a sub fee for this game, which is fine. To each their own. I was drawn in to the characters, the setting, the stories, etc, but the movement and combat just feel soooo sooo outdated. And no, I don't believe it's something that could be fixed with a patch or saved with the "Beta is beta" line. It's extremely floaty. I don't actually feel like I'm part of the stage.

Melee feels more like I'm just wildly swinging and trying to position my character so that my wild swinging actually hits something. The casty "classes" were pretty fun but being a gun-oriented guy myself, I was a little let down.

Overall, a very solid game, I just wouldn't pay monthly for it. Worth it for the story experience though if you're looking for an RPG fix.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

The Secret World Beta Weekend

It's the third beta weekend now and it's my first time playing the game.

I love it so far.
    Haven't paid much attention to the story yet, but the gameplay is amazing.
    It's quite fun how they combined guns with the unique powers your character has.

I'm playing a Templar right now using rifles. The game is still kinda buggy in my opinion, but it's a beta. So I hope
    they manage to iron most of the bugs out once it goes live.

Anyway, how did your beta weekend go so far?

I got my beta key like 2 weeks ago, downloaded the GIGANTIC game, found out I couldn't play until the 15th, and said screw this and deleted it. Might reinstall it tonight though and give it a go.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm cringing at the voiced quest dialog. It's just one broken cliche after another. Was it written by a 10th grader? Awful...

The quest variety and skill wheel are keeping me going for now, but the writing needs to get a whole lot better if anyone expects me to pay money for this.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    This game is amazing. I don't care what you have to say. This game is amazing. Please, look at my horse.

The only criticism I came up for the game is that the cursor graphic is lame. Everything else is blowing my mind.

Please, look at my horse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Eh, after a few consecutive hours of gameplay, I don't think I'm going to be able to pay a sub fee for this game, which is fine. To each their own. I was drawn in to the characters, the setting, the stories, etc, but the movement and combat just feel soooo sooo outdated. And no, I don't believe it's something that could be fixed with a patch or saved with the "Beta is beta" line. It's extremely floaty. I don't actually feel like I'm part of the stage.

Melee feels more like I'm just wildly swinging and trying to position my character so that my wild swinging actually hits something. The casty "classes" were pretty fun but being a gun-oriented guy myself, I was a little let down.

Overall, a very solid game, I just wouldn't pay monthly for it. Worth it for the story experience though if you're looking for an RPG fix.
    ya just as i thought of it as well, the combat and movement just feels very weird. and like you said, it just feels dated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    ya just as i thought of it as well, the combat and movement just feels very weird. and like you said, it just feels dated.
    Yeah, I only got one beta invite, so I played while the GF watched. She kept saying things like "Haha, what the hell is he doing? He's running like he's in pain." or "Um, you hold that gun differently as you get higher in level right? He looks like a 5 year old with a squirt gun." etc etc.

I couldn't even contest it, she was right. The "stances" are inanimate and statue like, the running looks like they're floating, sprinting looks decent but can't be done in combat. In most cut scenes, your character would be staring over the shoulders of the people he was talking to like he was looking at something super interesting behind the guy.

I duno, it just got to me too much. I'm pretty picky, though.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    If this game didn't have a sub, I'd probably buy it.

It's just simply not good enough to warrant a monthly fee.

Feels more like a co-op game than an mmo.

---------- Post added 2012-06-17 at 11:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    I got my beta key like 2 weeks ago, downloaded the GIGANTIC game, found out I couldn't play until the 15th, and said screw this and deleted it. Might reinstall it tonight though and give it a go.
    It's not gigantic, it's the pretty much standard these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't plan on getting this game at all. At least until I see how the one or two weekends left turn out but I still find thinks I love about the game. The atmosphere is amazing. Some of the enemies look amazing and incredibly creepy. All the tie into real urban legends/mythology and the ARGs are very deserved break from orcs and dragons. These are stories I know. Its like playing a darker version of the X-Files. I'm currently question through the Savage Coast and dammit if that place didn't creep me out in some of the areas. The Carrie house is on the best things I've seen in a game period. Immersion is easy if you don't look at your character...

I did have a chance to play the first dungeon, Polaris. Its nothing too different until you get to the last boss. A boss fight has never made me feel so much suspense and terror for my toon.

Wrapping this in tags just in case. But you pretty much fight Cthulu. The mechanics are standard, LoS during X phase, but the way Funcom executed the encounter is what makes it. When the LoS phase happens, a fog covers the room and you can barely see anything in front of you. You must hide from Cthulu as he wonders around looking for you. You can hear the splash in the water as he searches but you can't see him. When he reaches you, its like he appears out of know where. You have to scramble around a rock pillar hoping he doesn't spot you. At any moment he can smash the pillar. It feel more than just some mechanic dance to me.

Would play if it was free.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, I only got one beta invite, so I played while the GF watched. She kept saying things like "Haha, what the hell is he doing? He's running like he's in pain." or "Um, you hold that gun differently as you get higher in level right? He looks like a 5 year old with a squirt gun." etc etc.

I couldn't even contest it, she was right. The "stances" are inanimate and statue like, the running looks like they're floating, sprinting looks decent but can't be done in combat. In most cut scenes, your character would be staring over the shoulders of the people he was talking to like he was looking at something super interesting behind the guy.

I duno, it just got to me too much. I'm pretty picky, though.
    hehe, reminds me of a guy i work with, he would never ever look at you directly while talking to you. though hes hilarious so it makes up for it lol.

but back to the game. While i initially started, you had to go talk to a guy in the laundry mat, then check for cameras, but before i even talked to the guy in the Laundry mat, the game went black and loaded me into a cut scene with the 3 people talking about something in the subway, but while this was happening my character was turning from a male to a female and back again, really buggy, THEN, I went back to New york and my screen went black but i could see my UI. so then i had to reboot the game, then i got to talk to the laundry mat guy and continued on the quest series until the cut scene again but this time it was at the part that it was ment to be at during the quest series.

Needless to say, they have a Butt TON of work to do, to make this game viable tbh.

hehe, reminds me of a guy i work with, he would never ever look at you directly while talking to you. though hes hilarious so it makes up for it lol.

but back to the game. While i initially started, you had to go talk to a guy in the laundry mat, then check for cameras, but before i even talked to the guy in the Laundry mat, the game went black and loaded me into a cut scene with the 3 people talking about something in the subway, but while this was happening my character was turning from a male to a female and back again, really buggy, THEN, I went back to New york and my screen went black but i could see my UI. so then i had to reboot the game, then i got to talk to the laundry mat guy and continued on the quest series until the cut scene again but this time it was at the part that it was ment to be at during the quest series.

Needless to say, they have a Butt TON of work to do, to make this game viable tbh.

Your character is actually supposed to change from male to female for that cutscene, you're experiencing the memory of a different person. That's working as intended.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorian View Post
    Your character is actually supposed to change from male to female for that cutscene, you're experiencing the memory of a different person. That's working as intended.
    oh, but what about my jacket turning white with a blue trim? but the white is like bugged white(where its whiter then it should be lol)

oh, but what about my jacket turning white with a blue trim? but the white is like bugged white(where its whiter then it should be lol)
    That's your character turning into the person whose memory you're experiencing. They were wearing a white coat with blue trim. Just look closely at the end of the memory.

15+ Year Old Account

Anyone here been healing in the Secret World?

I looked a bit around in the ability wheel to get a pointer at what I should do to become a healer, but I am sitting on the impression that I am forced to use a rifle and fist weapons to be a healer. Or atleast a decent one. Am I completely off here?

I freaking hate physical weapons, and want to be a healer with caster offensive abilities. I don't even want to touch a single physical weapon, but can I do this without being completely gimped?

I got the impression that you could be whatever you want to be here, but right now I can't really see that. My impression of the game is that it seems to be pretty good and unique, but if I can't be a healer with caster offensive abilities I am not sure I can handle it.

EDIT: Crap, I just noticed the megathread. Sorry. Moving my question there, so feel free to delete.

Try blood magic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. Seems that might solve my "problem".

You'll gimp yourself only using one weapon, unfortunately. Fist weapons are the closest you'll get to a secondary caster weapon. Build up your abilities with Blood Magic, like grandpab said, and use a fist weapon heal finisher. Those big finisher heals are important, and you'll be struggling without using two.

Deleted
    I've played the Beta abit and I must say that eventhough the game seems really interesting it was dissapointing if not down right confusing for me at certain points.
    I went with blood magic since it looked really fun and original (Plus I dont really like to use weapons at all) and I liked the idea to be able to be a healer using my own blood.
    The tutorial pretty much explains you can be anything you want to be, pick anything out of everything but I decided to stick with full blood (thinking I could be good in the one role if I maxed it out fully). In the beginning I was super crap..couldn't kill things at all..well I could..but it took me a long time to do (and alot of heal shield bubble spam). So I continued questing in the hopes that when I got my skills up abit I'd be able to do things more easily.
    I was wrong. I felt like I was fighting mobs by slapping them with a pudding till they decided to die out of boredom/old age. The healing was equally crap. Taking for example 100 damage I healed for only 25, what the hey? Spamming seemed useless since the mobs damage you quicker then you can even heal, I fear dungeon grouping as a healer..
    Later on (and alot of 'lol ur dumb, go read forum guides etc' comments later) I decided to ask some advice in the chat. Turns out I was pretty much forced to pick a different skill tree to go with my blood magic otherwise according to people I'd suck for all eternity.
    So I went with fists. Oh great..Its useless for now I need to find some fist weapons first. Having found fist weapons..Oh great..I need to equip two different trinkets to be able to use both my skills..but I can only equip 1 type at a time? I'm terribly confused.

Other than that the graphics felt very outdated. I mean, the area's look really cool and atmospheric but the character designs look like 6 years old? The character customisation is TERRIBLE. Godawful hair options for females, 70% of the hair makes you look like either a lesbian or an office secretary, then some vague bowl hairdo that I thought only asian kids would wear and pigtails that appeared to be a plastic mold.
    The clothes well..I managed to put together something decent but it needs more options..in less terrible color combinations. This could be easily added/fixed so it didn't bother me -that- much.

The quests: Awesome! Loving the story going on with them. Really enjoyed killing some zombies raiding an icecream truck and then finding a severed hand in one of the icecream boxes with a quest attached.
    The difficulty was strange though..Every quest I picked up was marked as 'hard' or 'very hard'. Of course be wielding a wet noodle to combat wasn't helping (yey blood magic!). Some of the puzzles were very far fetched in my opinion. I've never touched a bible all my life yet I am somehow supposed to know that a random number is supposed to be a psalm of some kind? Or that a random painting is created by frans hal? Google won't help much if you don't know what you're looking for. Solving the difficult quests by using a walkthrough on google felt like cheating.

The social aspect: Hmm..I'm not sure how this is suppose to work out. There are no 'levels' so you can't really tell if anyone is around your skill level to be doing things with. After abit of asking around I finally managed to group up with someone..turned out they'd allready finished off the place I was currently in, plus beeing a great deal stronger then me. Most of the quests are solo focussed, the instances attached to them solo instances. I left the poor guy waiting for me outside on more then one occassion. Luckily he was patient enough.
    I'm a very sociable person in games, I want to have someone in my party to be chatty with, share a laugh while exploring etc. You know..the main important thing in any MMO? TSW felt more like a single player to me where others just happened to be there too.

All in all: I -liked- TSW. I liked the new genre but it just has so much I'm not certain about. I want to buy the game really, but as it is now i think its abit of a waste of monthly subscription money. I wonder how quickly things will get too frustrating/boring. I'm alittle 50/50 on it at the moment.