1. #1181
    Closed Beta NDA lifted.

  2. #1182
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Closed Beta NDA lifted.
    With the final patches out, are the clothing vendors still just selling recolored versions of a few pieces of clothing? That was a turn off for me, is that there is only like 5 orginal per vendor and the rest is just recolored and I couldn't find any more clothing vendors outside the main citys.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  3. #1183
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    With the final patches out, are the clothing vendors still just selling recolored versions of a few pieces of clothing? That was a turn off for me, is that there is only like 5 orginal per vendor and the rest is just recolored and I couldn't find any more clothing vendors outside the main citys.
    They've added a good little bit more clothing to the shops. There are rewards for missions that give clothing, as well as certain dungeons and rare mobs awarding clothing. Then of course there's going to be tons of it in the cash shop.

    On the topic of "recolored" clothing, next time you go to the store to buy some clothes, look around at all the recolored versions of the same thing.

  4. #1184
    On the topic of "recolored" clothing, next time you go to the store to buy some clothes, look around at all the recolored versions of the same thing.
    There is usually more then a few options though with recolors.

    Edit: london is intended to be the main social hub? What.
    Last edited by zito; 2012-06-21 at 01:22 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  5. #1185
    Completing skill tiers gives you coats. I had a cool white one with a sort of charged neon blue design on it. Sort of like if someone made a white Tron lab coat.

  6. #1186
    Tried this game and to me it's a resounding no. Here is why:
    Specially if you're an artist, as I happen to be, the anatomy issues with their human models are glaring. It would be hard to describe it here in detail but suffice to say if you're looking at them and they feel "weird" I can tell you it's because their animators are in need of a class in human anatomy.
    The voice acted dialogue is ruined by the fact it's completely one sided, that is awkward as hell. It made it impossible for me to get "pulled in" as I all kept thinking was why do I just stand there looking like an idiot while people talk at me endlessly?
    Those action icons look awful, and lazy.
    Sure, there are lots of abilities, but many of them do more or less the same thing just with a different "weapon". Overall, while they talk about there being "no classes" as a selling point, let me put it differently, it's one class with one giant talent tree full of redundancies. Found it completely underwhelming.
    Having players wear regular clothes is cute and all, aside from a clever way to not have to design gear, but seeing people rush into battle against giant monsters wearing a tank top and short skirt was just stupid.
    The story is cool and the settings are interesting but at the end of the day, it's about gameplay and it's meh.

  7. #1187
    Anyone that has played funcom old titles know if they have any kind of UI customization btw ? i read somewhere that they all pretty much hav addons but i can't remember where. (effing 2012 and UI in mmo are still non functional for healers. sigh)

  8. #1188
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,435
    It's a flash-based UI, just like parts of AoC's, which had a good bit of addons. They haven't said anything definitive about whether or not addons will be allowed.

  9. #1189
    Scarab Lord Buckwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    4,342
    Well, you can now size different elements of the UI. I shrunk everything down to about 80%.

  10. #1190
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcheshammie View Post
    Tried this game and to me it's a resounding no. Here is why:
    Specially if you're an artist, as I happen to be, the anatomy issues with their human models are glaring. It would be hard to describe it here in detail but suffice to say if you're looking at them and they feel "weird" I can tell you it's because their animators are in need of a class in human anatomy.
    The voice acted dialogue is ruined by the fact it's completely one sided, that is awkward as hell. It made it impossible for me to get "pulled in" as I all kept thinking was why do I just stand there looking like an idiot while people talk at me endlessly?
    Those action icons look awful, and lazy.
    Sure, there are lots of abilities, but many of them do more or less the same thing just with a different "weapon". Overall, while they talk about there being "no classes" as a selling point, let me put it differently, it's one class with one giant talent tree full of redundancies. Found it completely underwhelming.
    Having players wear regular clothes is cute and all, aside from a clever way to not have to design gear, but seeing people rush into battle against giant monsters wearing a tank top and short skirt was just stupid.
    The story is cool and the settings are interesting but at the end of the day, it's about gameplay and it's meh.
    You want more realistic human anatomy I don't see the problem, remember this is a video game set in a fantasy world yes its in a modern setting but please remember its not real, we aint here to watch human anatomy and check to see if Bigfoot's walk cycle is a guy in an ape costume, you are over analyzing for the sake of finding something to pick at.

    Now the voice acted dialog I will agree with on some points, yes its strange and awkward but you need to understand what you are viewing is the answer to a question its called "listening" Essentially all that is missing would be the dialog of your character asking the initial question, you would still see the same cut scene after that of your character looking brain dead. if anything your character lacks emotions in most of these scenes and at the time I played a lot of them were out of synch, but cut senes are the least of my issues with a game, we all remember swtor "watch it once then have fun spamming 1 & spacebar"

    Ability's ability's ability's, clearly you didn't play it for any length of time, or didn't read fully what things do and how they interact with one another, you argument about the ability's is complete nonsense to anyone who has actually played the game for more than a couple of hours in Kingsmouth or scanned over them briefly. its like saying a warlock is the same as a mage in wow, "ohh i played to level 10 they both cast some kind of energy balls and they both wear cloth armor they are all the same" this is what your comment comes across as.

    You say its a clever way not to have to design gear and people wearing regular clothes is stupid against giant monsters, do you know how ridiculous that sounds.
    First off I would have thought seeing as you being an artist and all, that all the little tank tops in game are actually made by someone same way as they would make any armor yes even re-colours need a model to begin with. You then complain about non realistic human anatomy, you complain about tank tops and short skits but your are fine with fighting giant monsters but only if you have some kind of armor on. hmm hang on a sec let me find an armor smith in this modern setting, "can thou please craft me up some titanium armor blacksmith of New York I have some giant monsters to slay in Kingsmouth in the morn"

    Now let me set one thing straight before the fanboy comments come out, I will not be playing this game at launch but for other reasons, I have played it enough over the past months. my conclusion about you from your review is you never really played the game for more than an hour or two, which is the equivalent of watching 30 seconds of a movie trailer and automatically saying the movie sucks. There are puzzles in this game in the first area that take the average player a good 30 minutes to an hour to complete. and no, asking for the solution or goggling the solution doesn't count its not playing the game, it cheapens the experience and robs you of what the game is about. that is as much of what the game play is as killing mobs or pvp or even grouping for dungeons.

    ---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 01:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    It's a flash-based UI, just like parts of AoC's, which had a good bit of addons. They haven't said anything definitive about whether or not addons will be allowed.
    I believe in one of the conferences they had months back, the devs did say they want addons and user customized UI's etc. personally I think the UI is ok, I mean you only have 7 active ability's, the only thing I would like to see would be improved raid frames as they suck at the moment and ofc mouse over ability's and mouse button support for binding as that was broken last time I was in game, a few other minor things but cant think off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Jailbuild; 2012-06-21 at 05:51 PM.

  11. #1191
    I must agree that lack of armors seems weird. Noone is asking for steel cuirass straight from medieval fantasy game. We have kevlar vests, combat armors, bulletproof vests after all.
    I read something weird few days ago about that, I think it was in the patch notes or some interview. Devs said that amulets are not visible on player model, and thanks to this players can look however they want. It sounded like a lame excuse for not making models.

    As for the abilities, I don't know how long do I have to play to stop noticing that many abilities are very similar. With differences being that ability A is point blank AOE, B is chain AOE, C is channeled target AOE, and each of them is in different pistols subtree. They do seem redundant, or at least very similar.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  12. #1192
    Your character doesn't have to ask a question. Your toon talking would add more depth to the cutscense. Like being kidnapped a simpled "what the...." before you get knocked out would enhance the experience ten fold and since everything except your character talks I don't see a reason why we couldn't at least get one voice at the start :/
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  13. #1193
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I must agree that lack of armors seems weird. Noone is asking for steel cuirass straight from medieval fantasy game. We have kevlar vests, combat armors, bulletproof vests after all.
    I read something weird few days ago about that, I think it was in the patch notes or some interview. Devs said that amulets are not visible on player model, and thanks to this players can look however they want. It sounded like a lame excuse for not making models.
    What's the difference between making armor and making clothing? I'd rather look the way I want than have "realistic" armor. If you want realism, you'd be down for the count after a couple of hits. Ever been shot while wearing a bulletproof vest? I have. That shit fucking hurts, and you aren't gonna hop back up like in the movies.

    Remember that you play as a person who has been granted power by Gaia. Armor isn't really a necessity.

    As for the abilities, I don't know how long do I have to play to stop noticing that many abilities are very similar. With differences being that ability A is point blank AOE, B is chain AOE, C is channeled target AOE, and each of them is in different pistols subtree. They do seem redundant, or at least very similar.
    Different sub-types (blast/strike/frenzy/etc.) trigger different passives for different synergies. Most of those "redundant" abilities have different sub-types or passives related to them. While it may be "pistol attack that builds a resource for both weapons," the interaction between that ability and the others that you pick is where the real depth is. I've mistakenly equipped the wrong builder before (right weapon, wrong sub-type) and the difference was freakishly obvious; none of my finishers and passives were kicking in the way they were supposed to just because of that one ability. It may be a bit too punishing, but it does provoke thought.

    I'll admit the combat/ability system takes entirely too long to become interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Your character doesn't have to ask a question. Your toon talking would add more depth to the cutscense. Like being kidnapped a simpled "what the...." before you get knocked out would enhance the experience ten fold and since everything except your character talks I don't see a reason why we couldn't at least get one voice at the start :/
    That's really a matter of taste. TSW tries to blur the line between game world and reality as much as it can (the ARGs are a good example of this), and nothing breaks immersion like your character opening their mouth and speaking in a voice that didn't match what you heard in your head. That's the reasoning Funcom gave for this approach, and a lot of non-English speaking forum members were very grateful.

    I can understand why they did that, tbh. When I played TOR (loved loved loved it) I never really felt related to my character because of the character voice-overs. They were well done and interesting, it's just not what I would've said, and it did have a subtle effect on my immersion.

  14. #1194
    Sarah, list me the locations of the vendors that sell clothing!
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  15. #1195
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    What's the difference between making armor and making clothing? I'd rather look the way I want than have "realistic" armor. If you want realism, you'd be down for the count after a couple of hits. Ever been shot while wearing a bulletproof vest? I have. That shit fucking hurts, and you aren't gonna hop back up like in the movies.

    Remember that you play as a person who has been granted power by Gaia. Armor isn't really a necessity.
    hehe, this is quite funny actually. I was answering to a guy who said that armorsmith wouldn't look realistic in modern setting. I said that there are modern types of armor, which automatically made me "want realism"
    I never said I want the game to be realistic.
    I only complained about the fact that clothing, and letting players to dress the way they want is suddenly a reason (for me an excuse) to not have any armor, or equipment (apart from weapons) displayed on your character
    Different sub-types (blast/strike/frenzy/etc.) trigger different passives for different synergies. Most of those "redundant" abilities have different sub-types or passives related to them. While it may be "pistol attack that builds a resource for both weapons," the interaction between that ability and the others that you pick is where the real depth is. I've mistakenly equipped the wrong builder before (right weapon, wrong sub-type) and the difference was freakishly obvious; none of my finishers and passives were kicking in the way they were supposed to just because of that one ability. It may be a bit too punishing, but it does provoke thought.

    I'll admit the combat/ability system takes entirely too long to become interesting.
    Well, it still smells of redundancy if you have a bunch of abilities which have almost the same effects, but different "tags" which make them form synergies with different other abilities.

    That's really a matter of taste. TSW tries to blur the line between game world and reality as much as it can (the ARGs are a good example of this), and nothing breaks immersion like your character opening their mouth and speaking in a voice that didn't match what you heard in your head. That's the reasoning Funcom gave for this approach, and a lot of non-English speaking forum members were very grateful.
    Well, to my taste, again, they remove a feature in the name of "immersion". Don't you think it's lackluster, or at least fishy? They remove armors and equipment models so that your character can look "the way you want" (well, maybe I want to have my character wearing some stuff, which is visible, instead of fighting zombies in pijama, the same with which I started the game). They remove dialogues and voice acting from player character so that the game is more immersive (well, maybe it's not immersive for me when I only listen and take no part in convos, like if I was watching a movie instead of playing the game). Every coin has 2 sides. And to me, Funcom is presenting their shortcomings as good things.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  16. #1196
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Sarah, list me the locations of the vendors that sell clothing!
    All the fashion accessories and clothes!

  17. #1197
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,435
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Sarah, list me the locations of the vendors that sell clothing!
    I'm a clothes junky, so I've gone hunting! Besides the in-game shop (which we're only seeing a small portion of, but it's not bad) I've found:

    London:
    Women's Vintage Clothing - Haitian Market
    Men's Import Clothing - Haitian Market
    Men's and Women's Business Wear - Pangaea
    Men's and Women's Casual Wear - Pangaea
    Men's and Women's Footwear - Pangaea

    Seoul:
    Women's Couture - From Agartha, go through the bike shop and take the first left
    Men's Modern Wear - Same as above

    New York:
    Women's Streetwear - From Agartha, leave the warehouse via the big garage door, go left down to the stop signs then take another left and keep going straight
    Men's Streetwear - Same as above

    Scorched Desert (Egypt):
    Exotic Eyewear - al-Merayah

    ---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 07:05 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    hehe, this is quite funny actually. I was answering to a guy who said that armorsmith wouldn't look realistic in modern setting. I said that there are modern types of armor, which automatically made me "want realism"
    I never said I want the game to be realistic.
    I only complained about the fact that clothing, and letting players to dress the way they want is suddenly a reason (for me an excuse) to not have any armor, or equipment (apart from weapons) displayed on your character
    It was always the design of TSW to not have visible gear. Originally talismans were called Chakras, and worked more like glyphs from WoW than gear. Remember that you're playing as a member of a secret society. We're supposed to blend in. Granted, we are running around packin' heat, but that can't be avoided methinks. There are deck outfits and drops/rewards that resemble armor types, as well as a few combat vests and bulletproof vests. They aren't going to be available to you until later in the game though.

    Well, it still smells of redundancy if you have a bunch of abilities which have almost the same effects, but different "tags" which make them form synergies with different other abilities.
    I don't see how it's redundant. Should there be no Steady Shot because hunters also have Cobra Shot? Should Blizzard axe Revealing Strike because rogues already have Sinister Strike? Your answer is of course not, because there are talents or interactions that affect all of these and make them subtly different. It's the same with TSW.

    Well, to my taste, again, they remove a feature in the name of "immersion". Don't you think it's lackluster, or at least fishy? They remove armors and equipment models so that your character can look "the way you want" (well, maybe I want to have my character wearing some stuff, which is visible, instead of fighting zombies in pijama, the same with which I started the game). They remove dialogues and voice acting from player character so that the game is more immersive (well, maybe it's not immersive for me when I only listen and take no part in convos, like if I was watching a movie instead of playing the game). Every coin has 2 sides. And to me, Funcom is presenting their shortcomings as good things.
    And to me, they're improvements over the style of TOR. My character is a Templar, and it was explained to me that we are not saving lives one at a time, but fighting for the greater good, the big picture. It makes sense to me to be silent. It also gives me the opportunity to come up with my own reactions and responses, instead of having them scripted and expressed for me. I don't find it fishy at all. And they never removed dialogue and voice acting from PCs, it was never intended that they should be there.


    Procne, I'm not saying your opinions are unfounded or wrong in any way, btw. I just wanna make sure you know that

  18. #1198
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I must agree that lack of armors seems weird. Noone is asking for steel cuirass straight from medieval fantasy game. We have kevlar vests, combat armors, bulletproof vests after all.
    I read something weird few days ago about that, I think it was in the patch notes or some interview. Devs said that amulets are not visible on player model, and thanks to this players can look however they want. It sounded like a lame excuse for not making models.

    As for the abilities, I don't know how long do I have to play to stop noticing that many abilities are very similar. With differences being that ability A is point blank AOE, B is chain AOE, C is channeled target AOE, and each of them is in different pistols subtree. They do seem redundant, or at least very similar.
    hehe, this is quite funny actually. I was answering to a guy who said that armorsmith wouldn't look realistic in modern setting. I said that there are modern types of armor, which automatically made me "want realism"
    I never said I want the game to be realistic.
    I only complained about the fact that clothing, and letting players to dress the way they want is suddenly a reason (for me an excuse) to not have any armor, or equipment (apart from weapons) displayed on your character
    That's the thing whats kevlar armor gonna do?, other than everyone running about looking like Seal Team 6, its also most as ridiculous as my crazy example, maybe funcom could rename it to "The secret world of counter strike" only one problem is, most of the mobs don't have guns, other than the odd scarecrow. I don't know how well kevlar holds up against a horde of zombies, slobbering cathulu monsters or vampires, about as well as assless chaps I imagine.

  19. #1199
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I don't see how it's redundant. Should there be no Steady Shot because hunters also have Cobra Shot? Should Blizzard axe Revealing Strike because rogues already have Sinister Strike? Your answer is of course not, because there are talents or interactions that affect all of these and make them subtly different. It's the same with TSW.
    I haven't played TSW yet (will do this weekend) but you can't compare this with WoW if you can have only 7 active skills up. WoW has far, far more! My characters have about 3*12 keybinds.

    Compare to Diablo 3 which has 6 (+ runes, + 3 passive), GW2 which has 5 from weapon (+ heal, + 3 talent points) and F-keys for special abilities. In Diablo there is a lot of freedom to make a build, but you just don't use 2 similar offensive abilities such as 2 missiles because it'd take a skill slot. You need skill slots for useful abilities, in later level this means defensive CDs.

    TERA has a handful of options, seems like Diablo 3, pretty liberal. Less is more, in my opinion. I'd say GW2 has it more elegant than TERA: abilities are combined (like block + summon of illusion for mesmer), and the proc is on the same keybind. Suffice to say you won't find stuff like cobra shot AND steady shot on the same weapon in GW2. Each ability is unique, the "combo" ability style goes much deeper between abilities yet does not because the amount of abilities is less. Brilliant, really.

    So I hope the talent system is either strict in design (weapon talent trees in GW2) yet compelling, or providing enough freedom to make your own build (like Diablo 3). The chaos and many abilities like in WoW isn't something a new MMO should copy anno 2012.

    As example of redundancy check TOR. Around level 32 you get some kind of abilities which every class gets (but called different on every class!) and it only works in PvE on "incapacitated" targets. Ridiculous! And again I had 3*12 keybinds. No thanks!

    What attracts me to this MMO is the theme/lore. Seems unique, something different than fantasy. Whoever called the secret society theme "fantasy" above in this thread, has no clue what "fantasy" means regardless of the existence of said secret societes.

    To the people who miss voice chat of main character, indeed check TOR once again. Hearing your character talk while questing is one thing (and weird IMO). Hearing someone who plays same class/gender as you with the very same voice is an entirely different one! Sometimes less is more, and you can use your imagination to RP the lack of voice chat on your character.

  20. #1200
    Don't laugh at me. As I am going over what TSW's underlying gameplay mechanics and what it has to offer, if you take away hype and place GW2 and TSW on a level playing field, TSW might just beat it. The more I think about it, the actually gameplay that makes up the two games is somewhat similar.

    - Combat is similar
    - Player scaling is comparable
    - Progression philosophies are somewhat comparable
    - Both offer non linear gameplay
    - The way gear is designed
    - Quest presentation
    - Persistent PVP Map

    What's holding TSW back:

    - Combat isn't fluid as GW2s despite sharing many elements with GW2
    - Apparently players really care about animations, TSW's animations suck (ironically its emotes are amazing)
    - Subscription. You would be surprised how many MMORPG players are completely over P2P games.
    - No dynamic events. Dynamic Events are "it" right now
    - PVP. Its going hold up the devs. A lot of people aren't playing TSW with PVP in mind at all.
    - Its not a fantasy game.

    What is TSW offers:

    - Its not a fantasy game.
    - The lore and environments is very familiar and pretty much untapped real estate.
    - Quest will always be "grab x, kill x, etc" Thats video games. Thats life. They way TSW presents them is amazing though. The way they can hide you fetch and kill quest behind clever gameplay is also amzing.
    - Scaling is even less linear than GW2. The no level thing feels a lot better than downscaling in GW2. I can tune my own difficulty. I can choose to steam roll old content with my souped up build or run through it in a new build that I am progressing. Even with downscaling in GW2, you can't go back an redo hearts with your friends, you're only there to kill stuff and maybe do events. In TSW world, you can completely redo everything with them.
    - ARGs. ARGs. ARGs.
    - Again the lore. The world feels so familiar as if it were just an parallel universe away. Every is more "real". Folklore and legends that have come to life. If you're one of those people who get immerse in their games, you're in for a treat. Its like playing an episode of X-Files, Supernatural, Fringe, etc.


    If by some miracle Funcom can get the combat in order and make the game B2P/F2P. I'm on board and will finance their cash shop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •