Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I'm in the "Would buy if no sub fee" club, too. Even if it was B2P I would get it. I'm a fan of B2P/F2P now.
    I'd probably give it a shot as well, but I know I won't commit to the game enough, since it might be something I casually play a few times a month. I really hate sub fees. :\

More games imo need to go F2P, or the very least B2P. Just from the viewpoint of the consumer, it's so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'd probably give it a shot as well, but I know I won't commit to the game enough, since it might be something I casually play a few times a month. I really hate sub fees. :\

More games imo need to go F2P, or the very least B2P. Just from the viewpoint of the consumer, it's so much better.
    F2P? That's a little much, don't you think? B2P is standard for all, F2P is usually web games and such.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    F2P? That's a little much, don't you think? B2P is standard for all, F2P is usually web games and such.
    Most MMO's are F2P nowadays. It's the norm rather than the exception.

most is a bit of an overstatement isn't it? all the big games are still monthly sub, altho SWTOR is talking about going F2P, but other then that i can't rly think of many F2P games that are moderately big

I'd prefer a sub fee without a cash shop than a F2P/B2P with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadith View Post
    most is a bit of an overstatement isn't it? all the big games are still monthly sub, altho SWTOR is talking about going F2P, but other then that i can't rly think of many F2P games that are moderately big
    LOTRO, Aion, Lineage 2, Vindictus, DDO, STO, Champions Online, CoH, AoC, DCUO, EQ, EQ2, Vanguard (soon), Fallen Earth...I could go on.

Subscription only games: WoW, EVE, SWTOR, Rift, TERA, TSW (soon) and...I'm about out of ideas (I'm tired).

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    LOTRO, Aion, Lineage 2, Vindictus, DDO, STO, Champions Online, CoH, AoC, DCUO, EQ, EQ2, Vanguard (soon), Fallen Earth...I could go on.

Subscription only games: WoW, EVE, SWTOR, Rift, TERA, TSW (soon) and...I'm about out of ideas (I'm tired).
    B2P: Lonely GW2

I wouldn't mind a B2P + cash shop, if the cash shop just had cosmetic item and +exp boosts type items that didn't break the game. I LOTRO is the only F2P game I play. And even then they give you very little to play with when you start. It's like yeah 20% of their game is F2P but you still have to drop $60+ to get the full game any way.

Don't you buy a box to play LOTRO? It has expansions too, doesn't it?
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Don't you buy a box to play LOTRO? It has expansions too, doesn't it?
    Nope. The expansion you can purchase gives you a bunch of rewards and the cash shop currency, but as far as I know you don't need to buy the expansion box to get access to at least some of the expansion content. I may be wrong though as I haven't looked into it that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    I wouldn't mind a B2P + cash shop, if the cash shop just had cosmetic item and +exp boosts type items that didn't break the game. I LOTRO is the only F2P game I play. And even then they give you very little to play with when you start. It's like yeah 20% of their game is F2P but you still have to drop $60+ to get the full game any way.
    I think seeing the current market, they are killing their own game by adding a 15$ subscription model. Even a 5$ subscription would make a huge difference for people. Me included. Though I'd rather see a one time purchase and a cash shop for those who want it, personally.

Quite a few of the F2P games you mentioned there are "old" games, which were sub-based in their hay days, and have since gone F2P, rather than actually being F2P games by design.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Quite a few of the F2P games you mentioned there are "old" games, which were sub-based in their hay days, and have since gone F2P, rather than actually being F2P games by design.
    I don't see how that makes them any less relevant to the discussion. If anything, it shows that for moderately successful games (none of them are really "failures", since we've already seen that "failures" get closed down), transitioning to a F2P of a F2P/Hybrid business model is far more profitable.

That and most are games that were part of the "WoW bubble" where everyone tried to get in on the action of P2P games. Now though, F2P has shown itself to be a massively successful business model and superior to P2P exclusive for most games.

I don't see how that makes them any less relevant to the discussion. If anything, it shows that for moderately successful games (none of them are really "failures", since we've already seen that "failures" get closed down), transitioning to a F2P of a F2P/Hybrid business model is far more profitable.

That and most are games that were part of the "WoW bubble" where everyone tried to get in on the action of P2P games. Now though, F2P has shown itself to be a massively successful business model and superior to P2P exclusive for most games.
    Well, I was more highlighting the fact they were supposed to be popular games you listed. They only went F2P after their main popularity had decreased. So while they are still popular-ish they are not exactly in a position to be demanding a full-monthly fee anymore anyway.

Kind of like paying the same price for the two-day old bread, and the fresh bread in the supermarket. You would expect the older bread to be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Well, I was more highlighting the fact they were supposed to be popular games you listed. They only went F2P after their main popularity had decreased. So while they are still popular-ish they are not exactly in a position to be demanding a full-monthly fee anymore anyway.

Kind of like paying the same price for the two-day old bread, and the fresh bread in the supermarket. You would expect the older bread to be reduced.
    Meh, they weren't necessarily "unpopular". They were still profitable. They just though (rightfully so) that they could bring in more revenue through a F2P transition. Many of the games (CO/CoH/LOTRO/EQ2/DCUO/AoC ect.) still have the option for players to subscribe, and all of them saw an increase in subscriptions after going F2P (strange, I know). They've all seen a big jump in popularity overall since going F2P too (new players, revenue, concurrent users ect.)

And the old bread analogy isn't really very accurate. These games all still put out content updates and provide new things for players to do. Sure they may not necessarily be graphically up-to-date, or mechanically, and may be based off of a lot of currently "outdated" concepts, but that doesn't make them any worse than games that come out nowadays. Heck, people still play EQ1 (a 13 year old game) and other old games like Ultima Online, Ascherons Call (can't spell it), and DAOC despite how EXTREMELY outdated they are.

From the footage I've seen the voice acting is terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    From the footage I've seen the voice acting is terrible...
    >.>

The writing and voice acting has been the high point for me from what I've played in the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Pretty much this... unfortunately I can't warrant the price of the game plus $15 a month.
    I expect to buy the game, get my moneys worth in the first month maybe two and stop after that. Basically same deal as with usual b2p games.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

>.>

The writing and voice acting has been the high point for me from what I've played in the beta.
    I watched a few of TB's videos, and the first person you encountered made me cringe. Although I suppose it does get better.

Meh, they weren't necessarily "unpopular". They were still profitable. They just though (rightfully so) that they could bring in more revenue through a F2P transition. Many of the games (CO/CoH/LOTRO/EQ2/DCUO/AoC ect.) still have the option for players to subscribe, and all of them saw an increase in subscriptions after going F2P (strange, I know). They've all seen a big jump in popularity overall since going F2P too (new players, revenue, concurrent users ect.)

And the old bread analogy isn't really very accurate. These games all still put out content updates and provide new things for players to do. Sure they may not necessarily be graphically up-to-date, or mechanically, and may be based off of a lot of currently "outdated" concepts, but that doesn't make them any worse than games that come out nowadays. Heck, people still play EQ1 (a 13 year old game) and other old games like Ultima Online, Ascherons Call (can't spell it), and DAOC despite how EXTREMELY outdated they are.
    Exactly, they are out of date, but still good to eat You wouldn't want to pay full whack for them though!

All this comparing games to food has made me hanker after a snack...

I agree with you about the voice acting, and for me the quests and lore where the best things about the game. Sadly the fact that it runs like abosolute crap on my PC however I tinker with the settings has turned me off the game