Just bought the game and wondering what (if any) communities are there comparable to WoWhead, EJ etc. Any place to see quest/achievements/builds/theorycrafters etc?

And any recommendation's on what server (if it has servers) to play on? Still installing atm.

Deleted
    All servers ("dimensions") are linked. When you join a group you will join the dimension of the person who is leader.

Your question was also asked here: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/sho...d.php?p=905338 I admit I did not wade through all the replies.

I don't know if there has been relevant theorycrafting in the MMOC thread. TSW also has their own forums, click on link above and browse around.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    What does "hype" mean?

Advertising by the company?

Or just positive reviews by players?

Or is it just "optimism"?

The thing is, you can advertise and be optimistic about a game before it launches. But it's all bullshit, since the game hasn't been out yet!

But once a game is out, you can... you know... actually play it. The players may love the game! But that's NOT bullshit, since they have first-hand experience with it!

So I think there's a big difference depending on what you mean by "hype".
    Hype can be done by the company or players, by exaggerating about how good something is, company's can only give so much hype, a good example of this is SWTOR showing HD videos pre launch of 100's of sith and jedi running into battle with lightsabers etc, when in fact we got nothing of the sort, personally player hype is what most of us have to put up with, prime example of this is just about every mmo that has came out in the past few years, biggest hype ofc is GW2, the fan boys and girls of that game would pull out there own grandmothers teeth, to convince you, me, and the crackhead on the corner, that GW2 is the next latest and greatest thing. why people do it I have not Idea, its only a game, I dont know why people cant just give an open honest opinion about something and not try to sell it to everyone.

There are two words that when I see people use them I usually will ignore what they say, and they are fanboys and hype.

Anyway, I have hardly seen any marketing for The Secret World. Funcom just doesn't have the fund for it I don't think.

I'm not all that impressed by YouTube videos of the game, weapons that float on your back, stiff last gen animations, poor collision graphics, it doesn't even look like the melee weapon hit the target. It seems like all the videos have the producers telling you how cool the game is and that's like a mother of a cereal killer telling you that her baby is just misunderstood. Ill wait on solid reviews before buying. I think a monthly fee for this is wishful thinking though.

Is it true there is no form of resurrection in the game? So you die your done?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I'm not all that impressed by YouTube videos of the game
    Yup ... that's almost exclusively the best way to see if you like something. Just youtube it. Guess what? I never played LoL or TERA but the games suck because of videos I saw of them but I don't have any first hand knowledge and I refuse to even give it a spin. Because, y'know youtube...

No. There's no mid boss fight rez. In a dungeon, when you die during a boss fight, you return to the nearest spawn point where you are locked in until the boss is killed or the group wipes. From there you can repair, leave the instance or watch the fight via spectator cam.

When you die out in the world, you can either run back to your body or rez at the Anima well. If you rez at the anima well there is no "rez" penalty, so there is no need for a corpse run.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-07-05 at 04:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really jumped all over the new MMO bandwagon. I've always found flaws and things that pissed me off. But for the first time I can honestly say, this game will be the new standard for MMOs. The quests are diverse and fun, the combat is awesome, the graphics are fantastic, the sound and music are top notch, the leveling system is fresh. I could go on and on. I wasn't even going to buy it but read a couple reviews and picked it up and can say without a doubt that it's the best MMO I've ever played.

15+ Year Old Account
    As good as the game looks I think I rather wait for the free trial before buying it. I've been fooled so many times before that I won't trust a review even if it's coming from my best friend sitting next to me playing the game while I'm watching.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Yup ... that's almost exclusively the best way to see if you like something. Just youtube it. Guess what? I never played LoL or TERA but the games suck because of videos I saw of them but I don't have any first hand knowledge and I refuse to even give it a spin. Because, y'know youtube...
    Why are you a mod? Your reaction is aggressive and inflamatory. You should be infracted for that post.

To the guy that said everything looks rather static. You are absolutely right. I own the game (as in, have it in my possession) and have been playing a few days now. The combat animations are stiff, the character jump animation is a reason not to jump ever and combat handling is so, so much worse than GW2 is doing.

I have my doubts about GW2 in terms of questing and how engaged I'll feel to keep running the same few dynamic quests over and over to level, but they have combat pinned down pretty much perfectly. TSW, not so much. I hope it gets better.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-05 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I have my doubts about GW2 in terms of questing and how engaged I'll feel to keep running the same few dynamic quests over and over to level, but they have combat pinned down pretty much perfectly. TSW, not so much. I hope it gets better.
    Yeah. I believe some weapons are not as polished as other in TSW. Picking the right weapon combination does impact your overall experience quite a bit. On the other hand the class system I am not sure if GW2 one is better than TSW one. Both are good, but the freedom in TSW is really pleasing.

I'm not all that impressed by YouTube videos of the game, weapons that float on your back, stiff last gen animations, poor collision graphics, it doesn't even look like the melee weapon hit the target. It seems like all the videos have the producers telling you how cool the game is and that's like a mother of a cereal killer telling you that her baby is just misunderstood. Ill wait on solid reviews before buying. I think a monthly fee for this is wishful thinking though.

Just make sure you watch recent videos. Not something from 5 month old beta.

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 06:31 AM ----------

On another note why the hell is my rank Pandaren Monk ... is the forum trolling me or what.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heya, so I've been watching The Secret World since it was first announced.
    Kept up to date, but haven't bought it yet.
    I live in Australia, and have pretty a pretty poor internet connection/ outdated laptop.
    I run games like LoL and WoW at about 220ms. And run WoW without many problems on a medium graphics setting.
    When I played SWToR, it would take up to 20seconds at some bad points to load the cinematic talking for quests, and the combat was a little chuggy. (But this was the first month of it released).
    I found this too much of a hassle to deal with, so I unsubbed, and haven't been back.

So does anyone have any idea how it would go if I tried it?
    Thanks.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

This is the case when youtube videos do not show how good the game really is. But judging from your comment I think you're looking for a game with advanced graphics and realism. TSW isn't like that but it has great atmosphere and interesting, sometimes time consuming and difficult quests. Let's just say there are people who do not like the graphical part of the game and do not enjoy questing so if you're like that we better stay off each other's playgrounds. Peace.

Why are you a mod? Your reaction is aggressive and inflamatory. You should be infracted for that post.
    Do you know for a fact mods on mmo-champion can't share their opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Heya, so I've been watching The Secret World since it was first announced.
    Kept up to date, but haven't bought it yet.
    I live in Australia, and have pretty a pretty poor internet connection/ outdated laptop.
    I run games like LoL and WoW at about 220ms. And run WoW without many problems on a medium graphics setting.
    When I played SWToR, it would take up to 20seconds at some bad points to load the cinematic talking for quests, and the combat was a little chuggy. (But this was the first month of it released).
    I found this too much of a hassle to deal with, so I unsubbed, and haven't been back.

So does anyone have any idea how it would go if I tried it?
    Thanks.
    I'm not sure about performance but I'm playing with 140-180 ms and it seems rather fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Do you know for a fact mods on mmo-champion can't share their opinions?
    Sharing is fine. The way, people in general, share opinions is strictly moderated however, and he is in violation of those rules.

A friend of mine is playing this game and from his words it is really looking like I might have to try it out. While he is quick to jump on every new MMO; and I mean EVERY ONE; he does tend to burn through them fast mostly because he is in BETA for many. I haven't heard this level of enthusiasm from him for a new game in ages. While he was pretty gung ho on SWTOR he has reservations he relayed to me about it and has filtered a number of games for myself and others.

I have watched a lot of game play on Twitch Tv... now all I need to do is convince my friend to get online with his play.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

So what is there to do here once you're finished with all the quests/stories?

What's the endgame?
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I really enjoy this game. Good graphics for an mmo. Opening story is cliche, but otherwise the mission stories are great. Some of the characters are hilarious. Lots of really clever, dark humor. Voice acting is pretty good. Combat is pretty decent - low tier ability animations are kind of boring and sime polygon counts leave something to be desired, but those are things that can be improved later. There are some bugs, but most can be worked around by getting a group invite to another server (dimension).

Investigation missions are AWESOME.

Boss fights are really fun. Final boss in Polaris is a neat fight for a bottom tier dungeon.

Did I mention how awesome the story missions are?

Pvp is hard to talk about. Gonna wait for the game to age, but right now melee based builds are ridiculous.

Crafting is a tad onerous and confusing, but very unique. I imagine it'll improve.

Did I mention how awesome the story missions are? I had a haunted house try to kill me tonight in a bathroom above a room that was bleed. The house tried to kill me. The house!

Sharing is fine. The way, people in general, share opinions is strictly moderated however, and he is in violation of those rules.
    Frankly, I don't see him being infracted for what he wrote if he were a regular poster. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post

What's the endgame?
    Official release date - 3rd July. Today - 5th July. I'm not sure many can answer your question atm. Endgame is important though, I concur.

Deleted
    How do you people feel about the possible longlivity of the game?
    If there's no level, it should be never ending story in terms of quests and you will get all spells in game in a certain amount of time?
    And talking about pvp, is there any division among teams depending on how long they played? Guess that when this game has been out for a couple of years and people have neverending progressed since start and someone buy game and just join... there will be hard to compete and impossible to catch up. Can people explain please :P

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Official release date - 3rd July. Today - 5th July. I'm not sure many can answer your question atm. Endgame is important though, I concur.
    Question is, when does it end? With no levels there should be endless progress which would mean no end. And as my personal wonders are, if no end.. how will people ever be able to catch up if they join in late?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    How do you people feel about the possible longlivity of the game?
    If there's no level, it should be never ending story in terms of quests and you will get all spells in game in a certain amount of time?
    And talking about pvp, is there any division among teams depending on how long they played? Guess that when this game has been out for a couple of years and people have neverending progressed since start and someone buy game and just join... there will be hard to compete and impossible to catch up. Can people explain please :P

---------- Post added 2012-07-05 at 12:02 PM ----------

Question is, when does it end? With no levels there should be endless progress which would mean no end. And as my personal wonders are, if no end.. how will people ever be able to catch up if they join in late?
    At any given time you can only have 7 active and 7 passive abilities. That means even if you have unlocked all the abilities you will not be able to use all of them. Sure, some are more powerful and some are less but the trick is the synergy. And of course we will see nerfs and buffs but I'm not sure how they're going to pull that off.

And once again - yes, there are no levels per se but you still accumulate XP points that go towars earning ranks inside your faction (sprinting speed increase, perks), AP that you use to purchase skills and SP that you use to advance through ilevels of gear.

The difference between a guy using level 1 weapons and amulets and a guy using level 10 represents the progression curve. How much of a difference it is? I don't know.
    Last edited by Pokot; 2012-07-05 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post

What's the endgame?
    There's the higher difficulty version of all the dungeons, two PvP battle grounds and a 24/7 persistent pvp warzone, and world boss type creatures - those in particular require a sort of progression through lairs (areas of a zone that has enemies far more difficult than others when you go through the first time) that lead to gaining something necessary to summon a demon, which drops pieces necessary to summoning a region boss...which also drops pieces necessary to summon the world boss. All three drop gear as well, and need an increasing amount of players and coordination to defeat.

They are also releasing a raid sometime "soon" though I've not seen an official date on that.