Deleted
    I've been waiting for an mmo like this to come out. I wanted something modern and up-to-date, with a horror element to it. There is definitely a niche in the market that I'm hoping this game has filled. Much as I love elves and goblins and what not, I wanted something completely different to the fantasy theme that majority of these mmo's seem to follow. So far, from watching videos and reading reviews, The Secret World certainly has me ticking boxes!

Truth is, no game will ever be perfect, not World of Warcraft, not GW2 etc. etc. none of them. People will always find fault and it will be down to personal preference. I've played WoW for a few years now and for the most part, I've really enjoyed it, it's only in recent months I've found it really boring. MoP expansion doesn't overly excite me neither tbh. I've tried a fair few mmo's and they do all seem to become a bit 'samey' probably due to the 'fantasy' theme and structure of the games. I find the whole no levels/classes set up of The Secret World incredibly appealing. The theme of the game also really interests me, there is a story there that I WANT to learn more about. I'm loving the sound of the puzzles and mysteries you have to solve (some of which sound incredibly challenging, music to my ears!). I want a game that makes me think, where I have to use my brain and not just run around mindlessly killing things.

Overall consensus of The Secret World seems to lean towards positive, very positive in fact and that has to be a good thing. It is early days and I think all new mmo's have teething problems initially, some will rectify them, some won't. If the developers listen to the community playing the game and work towards rectifying problems, making necessary changes etc. they could be on to a winner here I think.

I will be buying the game, I already have sub for WoW which I'm stuck with for a few months to come (yes I did get sucked in with the offer of 'shiny mount' and D3 (which is fun but definitely has a shelf live!)) I came very close to buying Tera (I did enjoy the beta, it was fun!) ..... couldn't quite bring myself to do it though! But THIS game, well, it's so my cuppa tea and as I'm from London I shall so be a Templar I'm going to take the plunge! I'm not put off by the sub neither tbh (could do without the WoW one though!) I'm hoping it attracts the more serious/mature gamers out there. Gamers, I think, have changed over the years. It was never 'cool' to game a few years back but now it is massively popular, you therefore, have an influx of a new style of gamer - xbox generation - they all have pc/laptops, I suspect these f2p games could potentially attract these style of gamers (one off price, bit like buying an xbox game!) the - 'I want it now dammit!', 'I have not the patience to play this game properly' types, hopefully the sub on this game will put them off

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    As I said, TSW implements a dodge system, then almost never lets you use it. And while GW2 may be in BETA, I'd say I've played it more (in hours) than I have TSW. Even though that's entirely besides the point when it comes to general npc combat. GW2 really manages to be what TERA promises (action combat) with a working dodge mechanic (in contrary to TSW) and a very diverse skil-set (different from TSW, maybe on par, maybe not). The character animations are near perfect (unlike in TSW, or actually most current MMO's) and combat is dynamic and fluent.

I'm almost sounding like a walking commercial for GW2, but I'm not. The quest system is a reiteration of Warhammer online, with a divided focus on, on one side, the personal quest, which is a classic quest system that we know from older MMO's and on the other side the Public Quest gimmick that's going to be absorbing most of your time to gain levels. So you're basically repeating " dynamic quest events" that are dynamic, but still static in the sense that they do not change, but always follow a set path. They're only dynamic in having a path.

The quests are extremely corny and carry silly voice overs in some cases. You'll find clues that are just too obvious. Rubbed in your face' like. You then proceed to " remember" the clue only minutes later, followed by a moment of selfglorification. Oh how smart I am. It's almost appalling and obviously written by a writer from the cheap segment of fantasy novelists.

That said, I find combat, proper combat, a far more interesting hook than a perfect storyline. I'd wish for both, though.
    Im using dodge in TSW all the time, mobs in the game have directional and aoe abilities, not just in dungeons so i think you never played TSW besides the first 20 minuts of the game, from Kingsmouth to city of the sun god where i am at this point dodge is a key ability to avoid what the enemies have to trow at you, and even gain advantages, in pvp its s save button many times when you can dodge behind a obstacle to brake enemy casting or for a quick escape.

Quest system is unique from what the market have to offer at this point, you have kill x enemies that even thoes have nice challenges and some escalates to some investigation or puzzles, you have investigation quests and others who sometimes requires you to avoid combat, puzzles and so on, hints hidden in objects, even in the voice acting videos when you pick up the quest, i dont see much linearity there, and the game have the main hand of Ragnar Tørnquist (the man behind Dreamfall The Longest Journey), and saying that he belongs in a cheap segment of fantasy novelists shows how is you prespective of quality content, as they say the game is not for everyone, requires more then push one button to play because TSW doesnt hold your hand, in any way.

I am not sure, but to me it seems that dodge on top of being very fast movement is not affected by hindered state ... which makes it very valuable in situations when you need to move away fast no matter. Take last boss in Polaris if you happen to be in his aoe attack location where you get hindered you either dodge or you get hit for well over 50% of your hp. You can't move away fast enough without using dodge.

I clearly recall watching a guy moving like a snail thinking in my head ... dodge dude dodge. He didn't/couldn't and it's something like a 1500 hp hit. One of those oh well moments. It takes half a second to dodge the attack vs a more than a few seconds to heal that damage up.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by konishiwa View Post
    Im using dodge in TSW all the time, mobs in the game have directional and aoe abilities, not just in dungeons so i think you never played TSW besides the first 20 minuts of the game, from Kingsmouth to city of the sun god where i am at this point dodge is a key ability to avoid what the enemies have to trow at you, and even gain advantages, in pvp its s save button many times when you can dodge behind a obstacle to brake enemy casting or for a quick escape.
    We're not comparing male genitalia. It's not a bragging game. I'm not exaggerating. We don't need to throw "lolz you never even played it HURHUR" at eachother. Regular NPC's allow you more than enough time to sidestep out of everything. A true action combat game would mean that circling affects the opponents chance to hit. No such thing in TSW. That was my point. Not the exact refined analysis of dodge per type of mob in type of location.

Combat is still the same as in any other everquest' esque game with dodge as a gimmick.

About the quests, Pokot was right. But than again, that's what amuses me most
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-11 at 10:59 AM.

I want to play this game so much! But I cant because I live in the damn countryside and we only have a satellite internet so no online games for me .

We're not comparing male genitalia. It's not a bragging game. I'm not exaggerating. We don't need to throw "lolz you never even played it HURHUR" at eachother. Regular NPC's allow you more than enough time to sidestep out of everything. A true action combat game would mean that circling affects the opponents chance to hit. No such thing in TSW. That was my point. Not the exact refined analysis of dodge per type of mob in type of location.

Combat is still the same as in any other everquest' esque game with dodge as a gimmick.

About the quests, Pokot was right. But than again, that's what amuses me most
    I feel responsible for you short sided thinking disguised as somewhat atempt of lyric structure, in no way i was "trowing" comments of less experience gameplay to form a more consistend opinion about one of the mechanics, but you are exaggerating IF your gameplay is about only 20 minuts of gameplay, but try it, give it a shot, it may change your opinion, it did for the majority of people who still plays the game, more then spiting an opinion about a product is first understanding what lies behind the hamster who powers the wheel, as much disgusting it may be as a personal opinion.

I feel responsible for you short sided thinking disguised as somewhat atempt of lyric structure, in no way i was "trowing" comments of less experience gameplay to form a more consistend opinion about one of the mechanics, but you are exaggerating IF your gameplay is about only 20 minuts of gameplay, but try it, give it a shot, it may change your opinion, it did for the majority of people who still plays the game, more then spiting an opinion about a product is first understanding what lies behind the hamster who powers the wheel, as much disgusting it may be as a personal opinion.
    IF X == TRUE. But X == false, but you'd know that if you'd taken the time to read my earlier posts about TSW, where I mentioned I played for about a week, 4 hours per evening, 12 on sat&sun (makes 24), before forming my opinion of it.

And I still play it, on and off. I have no issues playing and criticizing a game. Games don't have to be 100% to be played. TSW is just a disappointment in terms of dynamic combat, which is currently what I'm looking for. If dodge didn't have such a long CD, it would have made more of a core game mechanic and would then be useful allround, instead of the rare occasion. All directional abilities from NPC's can be sidestepped as well, which makes so little sense. The cast time is almost 3 seconds, ample time to scratch your ass and move out while whisteling a tune.

So far it seems only characters that utilize a lot of "hindering" are able to actually kite, hinder, dodge, kite, hinder, which makes their gameplay reasonably fun. But the more debuffish characters that focus on reductions in damage/healing etc, mostly soak punches, because they can't outrun their foes. And that's where I'm disappointed in dodge. One dodge every, what, 30 seconds, doesn't make it dynamic combat and therefore not entirely my cup of tea.

I'm not arguing the viablity of dodge as an oh shit button.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-11 at 11:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PiOchagnon View Post
    I want to play this game so much! But I cant because I live in the damn countryside and we only have a satellite internet so no online games for me .
    Cell phone tethering, maybe? I've gamed pretty extensively on 3G, and while it's not a perfect solution it'll definitely do in a pinch.

IF X == TRUE. But X == false, but you'd know that if you'd taken the time to read my earlier posts about TSW, where I mentioned I played for about a week, 4 hours per evening, 12 on sat&sun (makes 24), before forming my opinion of it.

And I still play it, on and off. I have no issues playing and criticizing a game. Games don't have to be 100% to be played. TSW is just a disappointment in terms of dynamic combat, which is currently what I'm looking for. If dodge didn't have such a long CD, it would have made more of a core game mechanic and would then be useful allround, instead of the rare occasion. All directional abilities from NPC's can be sidestepped as well, which makes so little sense. The cast time is almost 3 seconds, ample time to scratch your ass and move out while whisteling a tune.

So far it seems only characters that utilize a lot of "hindering" are able to actually kite, hinder, dodge, kite, hinder, which makes their gameplay reasonably fun. But the more debuffish characters that focus on reductions in damage/healing etc, mostly soak punches, because they can't outrun their foes. And that's where I'm disappointed in dodge. One dodge every, what, 30 seconds, doesn't make it dynamic combat and therefore not entirely my cup of tea.

I'm not arguing the viablity of dodge as an oh shit button.
    I'm just wondering what content you've seen. My dodge has stayed on cooldown since the later portions of Savage Coast. I'm not saying your experiences with combat haven't been disappointing (totally your opinion), I'm just wondering if you've seen any of the zones beyond Kingsmouth or Savage Coast. Time played != progress (I can well attest to that, I spend a lot of time screwing around lol) so I'd like to know what you saw. I'm not disputing what you're saying, I just like to see all sides of a discussion.

The quests are extremely corny and carry silly voice overs in some cases. You'll find clues that are just too obvious. Rubbed in your face' like. You then proceed to " remember" the clue only minutes later, followed by a moment of selfglorification. Oh how smart I am. It's almost appalling and obviously written by a writer from the cheap segment of fantasy novelists.

Im sorry i cant take what you said into account after this comment, i tried and read your posts couple times, for what is worth if dinamic combat is what you looking for, not even in GW2 you will find it, as a personal opinion my view of a combat system like that is mixing Vindictus ability to use the world against the enemy or hitself against the world in a TERA combat system without the need to stop moving to use your ablities, making every fight unique by adding countless odds into que equation.

Deleted
    Does anyone have a spare buddy key please? I would really appreciate since I wanna try this game before I buy it. Thanks

Im sorry i cant take what you said into account after this comment, i tried and read your posts couple times, for what is worth if dinamic combat is what you looking for, not even in GW2 you will find it, as a personal opinion my view of a combat system like that is mixing Vindictus ability to use the world against the enemy or hitself against the world in a TERA combat system without the need to stop moving to use your ablities, making every fight unique by adding countless odds into que equation.
    You read my post a few times and you still think that the part you quoted is about TSW?

Also; GW2 combat system is far better than TERA in almost each aspect. The only class that comes close is the Warrior.

I'm just wondering what content you've seen. My dodge has stayed on cooldown since the later portions of Savage Coast. I'm not saying your experiences with combat haven't been disappointing (totally your opinion), I'm just wondering if you've seen any of the zones beyond Kingsmouth or Savage Coast. Time played != progress (I can well attest to that, I spend a lot of time screwing around lol) so I'd like to know what you saw. I'm not disputing what you're saying, I just like to see all sides of a discussion.
    Use of dodge != usefulness of dodge. That about summs it up.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-11 at 01:17 PM.

Im only in blue mountain but i rarely need to use the dodge key, most of the time im strafing around mobs in a circle and any of the white marks to outrange i do so just by walking.
    Maybe they get bigger later so u need to dodge to get out of them in time?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ize View Post
    Im only in blue mountain but i rarely need to use the dodge key, most of the time im strafing around mobs in a circle and any of the white marks to outrange i do so just by walking.
    you can ignore most of the "bigger" circles in solo content, most of the time it's just a stun etc.
    you shouldn't ignore ANY white circle in group content.
    really.
    don't drive the healer mad.
    use the dodge key.
    practice in solo content.

Quote Originally Posted by Ize View Post
    Some of them get bigger, and others get faster. Some of them will hit hard enough to where you will want to move out of them. You definitely want to dodge them in group combat, if only to decrease your chances of your healer hating you.

Deleted
    Vespian, I might just love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Vespian, I might just love you.
    Normally my sarcasm meter would turn red right now, it seems to be broken

It is true that many enemy AoE abilities can be sidestepped fairly easily, you cannot do the same for the charge-up single target abilities. For these, you need to either interrupt, or dodge at the last second. Sidestepping or backpedaling will not save you from those. The dodge mechanic starts to be useful in Blue Mountain, and is used quite often once you hit Egypt. Granted, I wouldn't mind if the recharge was a little quicker, but it does have its uses and works quite well in those circumstances.

Also; GW2 combat system is far better than TERA in almost each aspect. The only class that comes close is the Warrior.
    The Warrior almost made me sub to TERA. That was one helluva fun class to play. I just didn't like the questing or the gear-treadmill endgame.

Deleted
    How's gear in the game anyway? Visually appealing? Do people just look like clones? Can you choose colors? Do you have the feeling you look epic although it's modern day? Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    How's gear in the game anyway? Visually appealing? Do people just look like clones? Can you choose colors? Do you have the feeling you look epic although it's modern day? Etc.
    Gear is invisible.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.