The best way to approach TSW too is to take your time and don't rush. You can stretch the the content out and make it last if you don't try and blitz it.

I wish TSW didn't have such an outdated combat system. That is my only major gripe with the game. Everything else about it is pretty decent.

Yeah the combat system is definitely a blemish on the entire package. The devs acknowledge that, so maybe they'll do something about it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavri View Post
    I wish TSW didn't have such an outdated combat system. That is my only major gripe with the game. Everything else about it is pretty decent.
    Speaking honestly. I read some of the reviews of this game when they were still taking pre orders. You got an extra boost in experience etc. I have a few questions if people who played the game would be so kind to answer. Seeing how I will buy this game in the upcoming week.

A: is there anything a new player should get used to when playing the game for first time

B: The whole buy to play I assume it mirrors GW2 system. Do you get full access to content. Are their any perks they offer on the side for money. If so. Which are most usefull

C: Is the server active? do you interact with the other factions often

A) Maybe do some research on the wheel, or look on the forums for an idea on a build that you might like using to level. Or do what most did and jump in blind and learn as you go - honestly its probably for the best. Some of the posts I gave recently about cosmetic items or the crafting guide will be useful at some point too.

B) Essentially get your account by the end of the month and you'll have everything in game currently for free. Next month and you'll have to pay a nominal amount for the last issue of content. Future content will require the same payment but you never have to pay for what you already have, once you've bought it, its yours for good.

Subscribers (or life members) get:
    "The Time Accelerator". This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 16 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by subscribers or life time members.
    $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months) - these points will always be enough to cover the new content for the month cost wise.
    Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month) - Decembers item was a mayan helm cosmetic.
    10% discount to everything in the Item Store except Content Packs or other Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).

The store largely has cosmetic sets of clothing, pets and titles. There's some pots for +xp from mobs but that's about the only thing off hand that isn't novelty/vanity. We haven't seen what an issue will cost from the store yet, but estimates range from $5 to the full $10 worth of points - probably varies depending on funcom's estimation on the value of a pack. Issue 5 which was given out for free this months had a four part mission where each quest rewarded a signet (end game mod to your items to boost them) and the last quest gave a 2nd tier quality (blue quality) signet. These quests (like all quests) are repeatable every three days. That and they're perhaps some of the best quests/storytelling in the game thus far - which in and of itself is saying A LOT.

Personally I think that both pure buy player, subscription and lifetime members all have a pretty good deal with the model.

C) Servers are active. There is a one server technology where if you party up with someone not from your server you get a popup asking if you want to move to their server. Cabals (guilds) can have members from multiple servers on them - but only one faction. Parties in PVE content can be of any faction.

Note for clarification: With the transition to B2P, point A mentions account by the end of the month. If you don't buy secret world as it looks like you'll not by the end of December you'll have to purchase Issue 5 (probably $5 or something). Not a big deal, you won't need anything from it till you've played through a good chunk of the game anyways - which depending on how quickly you devour content could be a month to months down the track anyway.
    Last edited by Laikai; 2012-12-31 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Laikai View Post
    A) Maybe do some research on the wheel, or look on the forums for an idea on a build that you might like using to level. Or do what most did and jump in blind and learn as you go - honestly its probably for the best. Some of the posts I gave recently about cosmetic items or the crafting guide will be useful at some point too.

B) Essentially get your account by the end of the month and you'll have everything in game currently for free. Next month and you'll have to pay a nominal amount for the last issue of content. Future content will require the same payment but you never have to pay for what you already have, once you've bought it, its yours for good.

Subscribers (or life members) get:
    "The Time Accelerator". This clickable item increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour and has a 16 hour cool-down. This item can only be used by subscribers or life time members.
    $10 worth of Bonus Points given out every month which can be used towards any product in the Item Store of The Secret World (bonus points are valid for 6 months) - these points will always be enough to cover the new content for the month cost wise.
    Membership Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month) - Decembers item was a mayan helm cosmetic.
    10% discount to everything in the Item Store except Content Packs or other Packs (discounts to the Item Store do not stack with other offers).

The store largely has cosmetic sets of clothing, pets and titles. There's some pots for +xp from mobs but that's about the only thing off hand that isn't novelty/vanity. We haven't seen what an issue will cost from the store yet, but estimates range from $5 to the full $10 worth of points - probably varies depending on funcom's estimation on the value of a pack. Issue 5 which was given out for free this months had a four part mission where each quest rewarded a signet (end game mod to your items to boost them) and the last quest gave a 2nd tier quality (blue quality) signet. These quests (like all quests) are repeatable every three days. That and they're perhaps some of the best quests/storytelling in the game thus far - which in and of itself is saying A LOT.

Personally I think that both pure buy player, subscription and lifetime members all have a pretty good deal with the model.

C) Servers are active. There is a one server technology where if you party up with someone not from your server you get a popup asking if you want to move to their server. Cabals (guilds) can have members from multiple servers on them - but only one faction. Parties in PVE content can be of any faction.

Note for clarification: With the transition to B2P, point A mentions account by the end of the month. If you don't buy secret world as it looks like you'll not by the end of December you'll have to purchase Issue 5 (probably $5 or something). Not a big deal, you won't need anything from it till you've played through a good chunk of the game anyways - which depending on how quickly you devour content could be a month to months down the track anyway.
    Thanks this was help full. I will likely buy it in the upcoming week. Currently I am playing TOR however due to the increasing grind. I have not signed in on it for almost a week now. Its still fun to play however I maxed most of my alts to 50 and I have no interest in raiding. This does seem to peak my interest in a MMO and it is still around.

Reading through a few pages some people seem to be excited and convinced if it was promote more. It would get a ton more attention. I plan on at least giving it a try. I do admit it sounds fun to be apart of a certain faction. I would have gotten this game sooner but I looked off reviews and a ton of them were now glowing at the time for this product.

It must have improved a lot since beta.
    I was in the first Beta but the game felt so bad, quality wise I did not want to ever touch it again.
    But then it became B2P and I decided to give it a shot anyway.

I'm loving it.
    About time an MMO came out that treats you like an adult.
    Not just talking about the cussing, sex and gore but also the difficulty of the common quests.
    The dungeons are all very well made as well, I never get the ''Oh god, now to kill the same adds half an hour to kill a reskinned tank and spank boss'' feeling like in some other games.
    I'm just having a good time overall really.

Custimisation has been improved but is still pretty lackluster, the combat is outdated and the graphics are nothing to write home about.
    Also heard the pvp is bad but haven't tried that out yet myself.

All in all you can get a lot of hours out of this game, it's a lot of fun and cheap as well now.
    I'd recommend it to anyone who's still on the edge.

Deleted
    A weird question, but does this game resemble somehow Matrix Online?

Deleted
    Hey guys!

I need some help on stats.

I'm currently building an Elementalist build (using the Magus one as a base) and it looks like it focus a lot on crit.

The thing is: Which stats should I get? Penetration rating? Hit rating? There's a lot of stuff (evading, blocking, glancing...) and I need to know PvE-wise which are the stats I need to stop glancing on dungeons/questing.

Deleted
    If you are glancing a lot this is due to either a lack of hit or your gear is too low for the mobs you are fighting.

So you need to prioritise hit as a stat, you can glyph this on crafted weapons. There are also several passives that give you +hit buffs.

On a side note there are mobs (particularly in Egypt) that heal whenever youi glance them - very annoying.

Here is a link to a good build creator:

http://www.tsw-builder.com
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-31 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bethofwow View Post
    So, yay or nay to buying The Secret World? Only have enough left for one more online purchase
    Id say its a big yay.

This is not a debate, but the best explaination I can come up with on this selling point for me.

- I have GW2 and though I like a lot of the systems, I feel disconnected often. I love the fact that weapons determine abilities, but I hate the fact that there are 5 static weapon abilities and then your other passive/activate abilities that you can unlock/choose. Nothing wrong with the system, it just leaves me feeling like I am not unique to the next player, the same as I did in City of Heroes. I, personally, dont like that.

TSW has not only the same ideology that weapons determine abilty, but in the traditional way that you have abilities to choose from and mix and match on a hot bar. They limit you to 7, but you have a choice of 7 active and 7 passive spanning two different weapons with like 30 different abilities each. So you choose every abiity your taking with you. Reminds me of the good old DnD days. Also like GW2 you are eventually going to get all of the abilities, I really like these types of systems.

- The server structure is also unlike anything Ive seen. Brilliant, all I can really say about that.

- Quests are hard, even in Kingsmouth. I found myself using the browser a lot at first because I just wasnt ready for the "lack of hand holding" like in the old days. Been sometime since a questing game expected you to think, even in AoC which is also a Funcom title.

- Its different. The way the world connects, running around in a modern setting. Its all different and I didnt really think they could pull it together properly when I had first heard of this game. I was definitely wrong.

- The price. B2P is probably the best thing they could have done. In fact, it should have been this way from the get go. The game itself, even seeing this from a new players point of view, is completely designed for B2P + DLC's. Since there are no levels, there is no reason to worry about a raise in level cap with a DLC. The DLC isnt required to progress the character, though it may help speed things up and keep it interesting. But you can simply release story and players can choose to buy it or not. Think of the way Fallout works, its basically the same but in a MMORPG.

On a more comedical note, I love how all of Funcom's games share similiar crappy client code traits. For instance: No Fullscreen Windowed option, shutting down the game client executes a crash report, logging out causes client to close or restart instead of reaching a character select screen. I played Anarchy Online and I played AoC a lot when it launched for the first few months. All 3 of these games share these qwerks lol.

PS. The worst part of TSW is that EA logo at the beginning.... I was pissed when I realized I gave them money after they destroyed SWTOR...
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-12-31 at 03:43 PM.

Deleted
    I am playing in a fullmscreen windowed mode and i assure you it exists
    And I recommend this game to anyone who is tired of "kill 10'boars"'mmo's. I am not home atm and wont be tonight cause of new year and i already miss the game ):

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kessos View Post
    I am playing in a fullmscreen windowed mode and i assure you it exists
    And I recommend this game to anyone who is tired of "kill 10'boars"'mmo's. I am not home atm and wont be tonight cause of new year and i already miss the game ):
    The options are: Fullscreen, Windowed, Windowed (borderless). While Windowed (borderless) may appear to act as Windowed Fullscreen, on a multi monitor setup, trust me its not.

Deleted
    Ah, forgive me then, it was borderless i thought of.

Deleted
    Can anyone tell me how this game actually plays? The information is very vague on their home page and I'm not exactly prepared and willing read hours of blogs, watch videos and check forums about it.

Ok, it has modern setting with paranormal stuff on the side, no leveling, no classes, no sub? But what's the goal of the game? Is it themepark and you play it for the loot and then they release more, better loot with every x-pac? I admit, I've never had any interest in this game but I've recently given a few games I considered bad, boring and not even worth a second look a try and was positively surprised.

It's definitely a themepark but has sandbox elements. There are no levels per say but there is definitely a power structure in which you have to play to get more power (skill points and AP, which are used to buy abilities and skills)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Can anyone tell me how this game actually plays? The information is very vague on their home page and I'm not exactly prepared and willing read hours of blogs, watch videos and check forums about it.

Ok, it has modern setting with paranormal stuff on the side, no leveling, no classes, no sub? But what's the goal of the game? Is it themepark and you play it for the loot and then they release more, better loot with every x-pac? I admit, I've never had any interest in this game but I've recently given a few games I considered bad, boring and not even worth a second look a try and was positively surprised.
    Pretty much Theme Park, but with a lot of customization on how you play your character. Its less linear than some games, but is by no means sandbox. I believe this game would have done much better at the start if it was b2p. The updates are more like DLC's with added story. Not necessairy to acheive max character abilities, but wouldnt hurt. Im not sure on what type of gear cme with those though if any. Right now its my understanding that when you buy the game you will get all thats released up to thsi point. Moving forward they will continue to release DLC's. But remember, there are no levels. Abilities and Skill Points are what you increase, they are rewarded from quests and kills. Technically every quest accept the story quests can be repeated after their cooldown finishes so you dont run out of ways to obtain the points to unlock all your abilities and max your skill points in every weapon.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-12-31 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    My new wallpaper

Image Uploaded to Steam

I might take it again tho, with everything on Ultra and running on Directx11

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    PS. The worst part of TSW is that EA logo at the beginning.... I was pissed when I realized I gave them money after they destroyed SWTOR...
    EA Distribution was only involved with box copies, I can state that as a fact. If you bought a digital copy, you didn't do EA any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Holymorph View Post
    My new wallpaper

Image Uploaded to Steam

I might take it again tho, with everything on Ultra and running on Directx11
    Savage Coast was awesome. Just wait until Egypt! Even though I'm in QL10 greens, I still get whipped in City of the Sun God. Praise Aten!

Edit: I'm actually using a screencap from TSW on my desktop too.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-12-31 at 11:32 PM.

Have not played this in a while... getting a new PC in the next month or so, so I'll probably get back into it then. Part of the reason I stopped playing was how nasty the graphics looked turned down on my old PC, coupled with the loading screens and occasional crashes ( the game seems to dislike older PCs even though i was not below min specs).

Quite looking forward to playing it properly with good graphics and more than 5 fps...