Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wow. If it is truly B2P I'm seriously thinking of buying...

Do you have to 'unlock' the endgame stuff at all, or is it straight B2P?
    You have access to 100% of the game content now. They will be releasing DLC later that you have the option to purchase, but at the moment you get everything except one (I think only one) of the auxiliary weapons.

I have no problem paying for future DLC if it is a buy to play (as long as the content in the DLC is worth the price). Personally I think that is how all games should go

It's definitely a steal for $10. Personally I thought it was worth paying a sub for (and still do).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    You have access to 100% of the game content now. They will be releasing DLC later that you have the option to purchase, but at the moment you get everything except one (I think only one) of the auxiliary weapons.
    Nope, you still get the quantum brace, that mission is part of the over-arching update, but not part of the DLC (The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn).

Everything that's on the live servers now is included with the purchase of the client. The DLC starts with Issue #6.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Everything that's on the live servers now is included with the purchase of the client. The DLC starts with Issue #6.
    Afaik you only got the Tyler Freeborn DLC for free if you bought the game in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    Afaik you only got the Tyler Freeborn DLC for free if you bought the game in January.
    I think that was the case prior to the new layoffs and resulting delay of Issue 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, $10 is a steal. I bought it off Steam in Dec for $23 and even that was good deal considering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright I snapped it for $10 so it's low risk, I played it in beta and recall that the combat was something I couldn't warm up to but for that price I can give it 2nd chance. Now finding the time to play it is another story I'm knee deep into Path of Exile atm that released yesterday......What do :P

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Now finding the time to play it is another story I'm knee deep into Path of Exile atm that released yesterday......What do :P
    This has been an issue for me for the past month or so ;_;

These new games keep coming out, and they're even pulling me away from the single player games I've been trying to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    This has been an issue for me for the past month or so ;_;

These new games keep coming out, and they're even pulling me away from the single player games I've been trying to finish.
    Story of my winter

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Most of you have probably already heard this week’s news. Funcom has announced the creation of one joint, centralized team at our studio in Raleigh, North Carolina, and that team will be working on all of our live games going forward. This is part of the restructuring process that was started in order to create a better foundation for implementing the new company strategy of developing smaller, more focused online games at the same time as we keep our existing games going with both updates and support.

Obviously this means a few changes for all our games. The good thing is that we are now bringing all the developers into the same studio where we have previously only had customer service, billing, quality assurance and our community teams. Allowing all these different people to work together directly with the developers will hopefully be very beneficial for The Secret World as a live game. Having one centralized live team also allow each game to benefit from a shared pool of people with exceptional competence, experience and skill working on MMOs and especially live, operating MMOs.

Not everyone on the current team will join the centralized live team. The developers on The Secret World were given the opportunity to relocate, but it is only to be expected that people are not always willing to relocate. I would ask the community to join me in wishing those team members the very best in their future careers. You have been amazing and I know that you will continue to be amazing. It has been a pleasure and an honor.

How then, does this affect the production and development of The Secret World? In particular, how does it affect the milestones for the development and improvement of the game?

Firstly, some reassurance. With the recent re-launch of the game to a buy-to-play model, we increased overall sales with more than 30% and the activity levels on the servers soared as more people came in – both new and returning players. This success is inspiring and we will continue building on that success going forward by expanding the game regularly and supporting our community.

We still have a strong, veteran team of designers and artists working on the game and working towards regular content updates. The move to North Carolina will cause some "development turbulence" - people will be moving and getting adjusted to new circumstances and thus you can expect things to slow down during this period, but our plan is still to deliver regular DLC and updates for The Secret World.

So, on that note, let’s have a look at what’s coming up next in Issue #6 which we are aiming to launch end of February.

The Issue #6 DLC, primarily set in Egypt, sees the player working with the Marya against the cultists of Abdel Daoud. The player learns the location of a prison, where Maryan captives are taken and tortured by the Atenists. Infiltrating the prison reveals information to the player about an Atenist plot to cause a second event on the scale of Tokyo. The player must race against time (and through time) to prevent the event from occurring!

Issue #6 will also see the return of the characters Said, Nassir and Zhara, as well as the villainous Abdel Daoud. Through the events of the issue, players will also gain access to the newest Auxiliary weapon, the whip. More details on the whip and its abilities as the DLC gets closer to launch.

Players will also see new features in Issue #6, including improved Cabal management functionality. New functionality will include things like Cabal logs, custom ranks and permissions, notes and a cabal news feed. We see this as the first step in improving the cabal system in The Secret World and we will continue to listen to our community and make improvements based upon their feedback.

PvP will also see some new updates in Issue #6 including a revamped matchmaking system and PvP ranks. More details will be available in a developer blog in the coming weeks.

As I mentioned in a forum post, we have always been looking at ways to improve the value of the subscription for our players. One of these initiatives is the Veteran Reward System. As players spend time with The Secret World, they gain veteran points, which can then be spent at in-game store to purchase both cosmetic and convenience items. Here is a list of some of the veteran rewards that you can expect to see:

Automatic Item Repair Consumables
    Portable Combat Dummy with Feedback
    Veteran Outfits
    Veteran Pets
    Veteran Titles
    Mission Cooldown Removal Consumables
    Portable Bank/Tradepost/Mail Consumables
    ... and many more to come.

The first iteration of the Veteran System should be available in Issue #6.

In addition to the Veteran System, we are also going to sweeten the deal for members and Grandmaster account holders by allowing them 48 hour early access to the DLC content.

As you can see, the plans for The Secret World are as ambitious as ever. The development of the game continues to be a priority and there is plenty of story left to come!
    Not impressed with issue 6 if this is going to be all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Reread the first 2 sentences and you will see as to why it is a little bit lackluster in your eyes. I personally think with all the stress going around that they are doing a good job still releasing issue 6 when they haven't even done the move yet. Given they still have a month before the issue releases, but they have been doing great keeping up thus far.

This is a bare bones description of quite a bit of work. I'm eager to see the MMR addition, as it should help PvP quite a bit. It's not going to be a huge update since they're moving to Raleigh. Since the team's going to be so close I may have to stop in with pizza and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Reread the first 2 sentences and you will see as to why it is a little bit lackluster in your eyes. I personally think with all the stress going around that they are doing a good job still releasing issue 6 when they haven't even done the move yet. Given they still have a month before the issue releases, but they have been doing great keeping up thus far.
    Im aware they are moving. However I know im not paying 5$ for one mission that was planned to be worked on for 2+months.

Sorry but they fail at planning ahead.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a bare bones description of quite a bit of work. I'm eager to see the MMR addition, as it should help PvP quite a bit. It's not going to be a huge update since they're moving to Raleigh. Since the team's going to be so close I may have to stop in with pizza and beer.
    They will still be about 6 hours away from me, but I personally know one of the devs that are moving to SC. I have to go visit him sometime.

Im aware they are moving. However I know im not paying 5$ for one mission that was planned to be worked on for 2+months.

Sorry but they fail at planning ahead.
    You do know that each issue gives one mission, right? It is there to advance the storyline(think SWTOR, but the story didn't end), and keep people interested in it. They usually release fixes and new additions along with issues. Not sure what you were expecting from it.
    Last edited by Haizer; 2013-01-26 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    You do know that each issue gives one mission, right? It is there to advance the storyline(think SWTOR, but the story didn't end), and keep people interested in it. They usually release fixes and new additions along with issues. Not sure what you were expecting from it.
    One mission? The first issues had around five each, many of them investigations which take quite a bit of time to complete. $5 for one mission is ridiculous.

Deleted
    He probably means mission chain, like the Tyler Freeborn one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    He probably means mission chain, like the Tyler Freeborn one.
    That's correct; Issue 6 will have a mission chain, not just a single mission. I haven't been on TestLive in a while so I'm not sure if anything's up on it yet, but I have spoken with top men about it. Top. Men.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's correct; Issue 6 will have a mission chain, not just a single mission. I haven't been on TestLive in a while so I'm not sure if anything's up on it yet, but I have spoken with top men about it. Top. Men.
    Looking foward to the next DLC =)