10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    TSW is very linear indeed. You have a pre-determined order and path to complete the main quests. The only thing that breaks said linearity is the side missions that can be completed mostly in any order at any given zone.
    Well, to be fair, the story mission is "linear', but it's less than 5% of the missions. The main missions can be done in pretty much any order (some require a specific prior mission to "unlock" them, but that's it, there's no larger progression), and as you said, side missions are everywhere and usually have no requirements at all.

I wouldn't say TSW is totally UNlinear, but it's not totally linear, either. To use a completely different genre, shooters, something like Max Payne is "linear", to me; there's one path, and you follow it. Something like Deus Ex isn't; there's side missions you can skip or miss, multiple paths, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, to be fair, the story mission is "linear', but it's less than 5% of the missions. The main missions can be done in pretty much any order (some require a specific prior mission to "unlock" them, but that's it, there's no larger progression), and as you said, side missions are everywhere and usually have no requirements at all.

I wouldn't say TSW is totally UNlinear, but it's not totally linear, either. To use a completely different genre, shooters, something like Max Payne is "linear", to me; there's one path, and you follow it. Something like Deus Ex isn't; there's side missions you can skip or miss, multiple paths, etc.
    Well.. ye , your logic makes sense. I stand corrected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man doing Slaughterhouse elite is a pain. Apparently there aren't many people who want to do it, and it's the last one I need before I can do the gatekeeper :/ Anyone here up for some SH elite?

Deleted
    Second boss in SH elite is a big P in the A, when I killed him i felt like i've defeated some awesome raid boss in wow.

I just finished the elites and is getting started with Nightmares, so if anyone would like to play with me, write
    Either a new one just like me, an adventure to share!
    Or a veteran that can help me :3

Edit: Or... obviously people somewhere inbetween...

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Man doing Slaughterhouse elite is a pain. Apparently there aren't many people who want to do it, and it's the last one I need before I can do the gatekeeper :/ Anyone here up for some SH elite?
    Not sure if you still need to run Elite Slaughterhouse, but if you do, and can pop on anywhere from 8 PM to 1 AM EST, I can probably get a group together, and we can run through it. Just try whispering Xuanryu during the time frame I mentioned.

As Kessos said, it's the 2nd boss that causes people the most consternation. It's a crazy fight for survival, but doable, and so long as one can make it past that encounter, the rest of SH is a cakewalk by comparison.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    Not sure if you still need to run Elite Slaughterhouse, but if you do, and can pop on anywhere from 8 PM to 1 AM EST, I can probably get a group together, and we can run through it. Just try whispering Xuanryu during the time frame I mentioned.

As Kessos said, it's the 2nd boss that causes people the most consternation. It's a crazy fight for survival, but doable, and so long as one can make it past that encounter, the rest of SH is a cakewalk by comparison.
    Oh yeah I've been stuck on the second boss the most while trying it. Did a group last night and we got him down to about 120k by his first aoe, and the tank decided to not los it...ever. Huge tank reliant fight. I raid in wow from 8-12 EST Tues-Thurs, so it will probably be Friday before I hit you up for a run. Thanks for offering. Until then I shall gain more AP/SP!

Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    Huge tank reliant fight.
    Indeed, that's probably the biggest problem right there. Maybe more than any other fight in the game, the 2nd boss in SH requires one to have a tank that's completely on the ball and capable of adapting to the constantly changing situations in that fight. I won't claim to be a perfect tank, or even have the hubris to refer to myself as a great tank, but I have successfully completed every SH run I've been apart of as a tank thus far, and I'm getting better at it each time. That's why I often volunteer to run people through SH, even thought it can be so time consuming: that fight is probably better practice for a NM-aspiring tank than even the Gatekeeper was. And unlike the Gatekeeper, I can repeat that fight as often as I like.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you on Friday. What's the name of the character you plan on running SH with, so I know who's whisper I should be looking out for?

Deleted

Question about The Secret World

Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

After playing WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR (and a long long list of other games to follow) i am looking for a new game.
    Now the Secret World has caught my eye, though there is one issue! I really do not like Horror.
    Now i have heard different opinions about the game itself - so my question for you is: Is The Secret World something i would like if i dislike horror/real chair shaking moments?

If the secret world would not be my game - are there any other games you can recommend?
    Ty in advance!

Velandra

Quote Originally Posted by Velandra View Post
    Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

After playing WoW, Rift, GW2, SWTOR (and a long long list of other games to follow) i am looking for a new game.
    Now the Secret World has caught my eye, though there is one issue! I really do not like Horror.
    Now i have heard different opinions about the game itself - so my question for you is: Is The Secret World something i would like if i dislike horror/real chair shaking moments?

If the secret world would not be my game - are there any other games you can recommend?
    Ty in advance!

Velandra
    You won't really be scared playing TSW. There are some tense moments (dim lighting, atmosphere) but nothing going to jump out and scare you. There's a little bit of gore, but nothing exceptionally graphic from what I can recall. The entire game isn't really a "horror" game anyways; it mainly got that label during press betas and such when the entire game was not available. Egypt isn't horror themed. Transylvania is dark and gloomy, but nothing scary.

Deleted
    Thank you for your quick answer SJ = )
    I Think ill give the game a go then! ^^

Another slight question though - is TSW still active, or is a bit like GW2, Huge hype and then slowly starting to dissapear (along the lines of the community)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

Another slight question though - is TSW still active, or is a bit like GW2, Huge hype and then slowly starting to dissapear (along the lines of the community)
    Well there was never the same about of hype for TSW as there was for GW2, and it was never that big - I think they sold about 800k copies of the game, so not a gigantic succes, but it was always going to be a niche game.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, that's probably the biggest problem right there. Maybe more than any other fight in the game, the 2nd boss in SH requires one to have a tank that's completely on the ball and capable of adapting to the constantly changing situations in that fight. I won't claim to be a perfect tank, or even have the hubris to refer to myself as a great tank, but I have successfully completed every SH run I've been apart of as a tank thus far, and I'm getting better at it each time. That's why I often volunteer to run people through SH, even thought it can be so time consuming: that fight is probably better practice for a NM-aspiring tank than even the Gatekeeper was. And unlike the Gatekeeper, I can repeat that fight as often as I like.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you on Friday. What's the name of the character you plan on running SH with, so I know who's whisper I should be looking out for?
    Musunoki, same name as my warlock in my sig. I'm building a tank spec, because I like the tanking in TSW, but I also really like the AR/Shotgun combo. Just really fun to play it. Yeah, if I get to get on earlier in the week(might have a night or two off raiding) I will hit you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well there was never the same about of hype for TSW as there was for GW2, and it was never that big - I think they sold about 800k copies of the game, so not a gigantic succes, but it was always going to be a niche game.
    Going along with what Venziir said, the game is still fairly active and got a huge influx of new players since the buy-to-play conversion. If you try it out, the main thing you need to do is be open-minded as it's a different MMO from what you're used to. Also, plan on getting your ass kicked at some point or another, because it will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello Fellow Gamers! ^_^

It's a horror-based setting, but not a horror-based game, if that makes any sense. Survival horror like the Resident Evil series rely on harsh restrictions on ammo and the like to provide increased tension, and have constant scare-the-pants-off-you moments where stuff jumps out of nowhere.

TSW doesn't really have that. It's still a horror setting with heavy influences from Lovecraft, but rather than the usual horror story (where you'd be a regular joe trying to escape/survive), you're an arse-kicking warrior of destiny who's going to kick tentacles and take names. In general, I'd describe it more as "Urban Fantasy". It's as much "horror" as, say, the Hellboy movies/comics are, which share a similar setting and influences.

If that doesn't scare you, TSW probably won't either.

Edit: there's one story mission, actually, that's sort of close. You're sneaking through a car park with the power out, using a headlamp for light, and if any of the patrolling enemies aggro you, they'll kill you. That's the closest to "horror", and it's really not that bad, more just tense.
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-02-05 at 07:50 PM.

Edit: there's one story mission, actually, that's sort of close. You're sneaking through a car park with the power out, using a headlamp for light, and if any of the patrolling enemies aggro you, they'll kill you. That's the closest to "horror", and it's really not that bad, more just tense.
    There's another story mission involving an asylum, that actually has a couple of pop-out scares, along with the usual and expected creepy atmosphere. And then there's the roller coaster ride in the Theme Park Tycoon mission....

I don't want to (literally) scare away a potential new TSW player, but I do want to put in that, while it may not be a "horror-based" game per se, it does definitely have strong horror themes, especially in certain areas and missions.

There's another story mission involving an asylum, that actually has a couple of pop-out scares, along with the usual and expected creepy atmosphere. And then there's the roller coaster ride in the Theme Park Tycoon mission....
    I actually forgot about those.

In unrelated news:

https://twitter.com/funcom_tsw/statu...76434523516928

Nominated for "Best Original Composition: Gaming" and "Best Sync/Use of Existing Music in Trailers and Promos" at the Music+Sound Awards 2013. I remember the launch trailer with the Dinah Washington song, but I wonder which original composition(s) they were nominated for.

Edit-

Here are the pages for the categories:

Best Original & Best Existing
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-02-05 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I remember the asylum, that's kind of there too but not to the same degree as, say, a Resident Evil game. Especially if you figure out the "puzzle" part of that relatively early; most of the scares are of the "you picked the wrong option" variety.

I still wouldn't label TSW as a horror game. Horror aspects, sure, but in the same sense that Hellboy does; I'd still label the Hellboy movies as entertaining action/comedy, not horror.

I would say that the game doesn't horrify you or scare you, but it creeps you out. Honestly, Deputy Andy, wtf?

I still wouldn't label TSW as a horror game. Horror aspects, sure, but in the same sense that Hellboy does; I'd still label the Hellboy movies as entertaining action/comedy, not horror.
    Again, I wouldn't label it as such either, and the Hellboy comparison is a decent one, but it does still have just enough horror elements, some of which spike up often enough in the game, that I feel it fair to warn someone who says that they do not like horror in general about them, even if those horror elements are not as prevalent as in a true horror game.

Rohan brings to mind a good point too: Even if it isn't outright horrifying, it does still maintain a fairly creepy atmosphere- again, especially during certain portions of the game -that some may still find somewhat unsettling.
    Last edited by RadasNoir; 2013-02-05 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I would say that the game doesn't horrify you or scare you, but it creeps you out. Honestly, Deputy Andy, wtf?
    Best voice over ever.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.