1. #2001
    Even if you don't get a buddy invite I would recommend buying it, the 5 man dungeons are really intense from the start (the first dungeon is 10x harder then the sloppy DS dungeons in wow) , the questing is actually pretty fun and possibilities for specs are insane, if you don't like to test different specs like I do there are pre set decks which cover most roles and are very good. Also if you like investigations there is plenty of that aswell.

    Negative sides is probably that it's no LFD there, although there is a ton of people playing atm and it seems to be an ok mix of tanks, healers and dps so it doesn't take that long to get a group.

    Give it a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surpriced how easy it is to get into and the quest areas are pretty huge.

  2. #2002
    Epic! bcbully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Forgotten Relms
    Posts
    1,638
    My boy picked up TSW last night. We got to do some quest together tonight. This game is so much fun playing with a friend and building synergies together. The game gets better and better even after playing 2 months in CB.



    btw if you looking for some challenge and to play the game they way I think it was originally intended try this:

    /option screen_waypoints 0" this turns off the waypoints
    /option screen_waypoints 1" this turns off the waypoints

    Turn the way points off and dive in! Thanks Melieza!

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 05:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    uhh huh



    Then you might want to play it, because last time I checked.... nothing can do any of those except you or your sugar daddy.

    Also:



    Ragnar gonna be in trouble, R.I.P.
    hahah nice find! I was wondering about the weapons, but finding the zones will be Kingsmouth size with instances was the icing on the cake!

  3. #2003
    The Patient Taan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    236
    If anyone got a spare buddy invite - please pm me. Want to try it out before buying.
    Last edited by Taan; 2012-07-12 at 06:08 AM.

  4. #2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If you give bigger importance to combat over content, I don't think you are the target audience for this game. Combat is not the selling point of the game, it's a mix between GW1 and GW2 mechanics; nothing more, nothing less.
    It's a mix between WoW + GW2, with an emphasis on WoW. GW1 is not a good measure for comparison, since it's an entirely differen perspective. Even GW2 itself cannot be compared with GW1.

    It's also not about desperately seeking combat and entirely neglecting any basic storyline(for me personally), it's just that the combat in TSW is really sort of bad. It feels like Richard Garriots Tabula Rasa, where you expect dynamic combat due to the presence of certain aspects (keeping it vague, because no direct comparison is possible), which were the FP-pov and the free aiming in TR, while it's the addition of dodge, the presence of certain attacks that are targetless and the amount of abilities that impair an opponent in TSW. Perhaps I believed it would be different at first and perhaps I'm disappointed due to my own misinterpretation of the system.

    Long story short; some people can play detective games that only give you a first person view and a flashlight. I'd die out of boredom. TSW is pretty much the same for me. Combat feels extremely boring. You'll have to find your kick in the quests (and they are really, really well done. Beyond anything currently available) and if that works for you, this game is probably the best thing that's going to happen to you this year. Digitally speaking.

    I'm contemplating to roll a tank in TSW instead of a dps, just to see how that works out for me, but there I go again, I want it to be a melee (as in, barehanded), so I'll have to pick up chaos + something and chaos has this utterly lame disc on their backs with which they don't do jack shit. My immersion broken that very second. And that's how I keep quitting classes that I play in favor of others, only to turn away after a while because things just don't add up.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-12 at 07:07 AM.

  5. #2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    It's a mix between WoW + GW2, with an emphasis on WoW. GW1 is not a good measure for comparison, since it's an entirely differen perspective. Even GW2 itself cannot be compared with GW1.

    It's also not about desperately seeking combat and entirely neglecting any basic storyline(for me personally), it's just that the combat in TSW is really sort of bad. It feels like Richard Garriots Tabula Rasa, where you expect dynamic combat due to the presence of certain aspects (keeping it vague, because no direct comparison is possible), which were the FP-pov and the free aiming in TR, while it's the addition of dodge, the presence of certain attacks that are targetless and the amount of abilities that impair an opponent in TSW. Perhaps I believed it would be different at first and perhaps I'm disappointed due to my own misinterpretation of the system.

    Long story short; some people can play detective games that only give you a first person view and a flashlight. I'd die out of boredom. TSW is pretty much the same for me. Combat feels extremely boring. You'll have to find your kick in the quests (and they are really, really well done. Beyond anything currently available) and if that works for you, this game is probably the best thing that's going to happen to you this year. Digitally speaking.

    I'm contemplating to roll a tank in TSW instead of a dps, just to see how that works out for me, but there I go again, I want it to be a melee (as in, barehanded), so I'll have to pick up chaos + something and chaos has this utterly lame disc on their backs with which they don't do jack shit. My immersion broken that very second. And that's how I keep quitting classes that I play in favor of others, only to turn away after a while because things just don't add up.
    Imagine class system where levels don't matter, gear and unlocked abilities do. What game am I talking about ? GW1 and TSW. Imagine game where you are limited in how many abilities you can use, not what kind of abilities (except for the limit of 1 elite skill and what weapon you are using). What game am I talking about ? GW1 and TSW. Why does your perspective differ between these two games I don't understand. WoW and TSW has clicking abilities and targetting enemies in common; that's it. Actually not even targetting enemies since TSW has offensive/defensive target system.

    That you don't like the combat is your thing ... but it's not bad combat. Certainly not worse than WoW, TOR, GW1, WAR etc offers. Maybe if you sticked to one class long enough ...

    Anyway; from your posts it sounds like the combat in TSW is bad when you seem to think the same about every MMO combat besides obviously the GW2 one that is yet to be properly tested. And that is misleading. TSW combat is not revolutionising MMO combat, but it's not bad. At least you have to pay a bit of attention to what is happening and not just bash your head randomly into keyboard to kill stuff like you can in some other MMOs. On top of that the class build capabilities in TSW are interesting to say at least.

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  6. #2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Imagine class system where levels don't matter, gear and unlocked abilities do. What game am I talking about ? GW1 and TSW. Imagine game where you are limited in how many abilities you can use, not what kind of abilities (except for the limit of 1 elite skill and what weapon you are using). What game am I talking about ? GW1 and TSW. Why does your perspective differ between these two games I don't understand. WoW and TSW has clicking abilities and targetting enemies in common; that's it. Actually not even targetting enemies since TSW has offensive/defensive target system.

    That you don't like the combat is your thing ... but it's not bad combat. Certainly not worse than WoW, TOR, GW1, WAR etc offers. Maybe if you sticked to one class long enough ...

    Anyway; from your posts it sounds like the combat in TSW is bad when you seem to think the same about every MMO combat besides obviously the GW2 one that is yet to be properly tested. And that is misleading. TSW combat is not revolutionising MMO combat, but it's not bad. At least you have to pay a bit of attention to what is happening and not just bash your head randomly into keyboard to kill stuff like you can in some other MMOs. On top of that the class build capabilities in TSW are interesting to say at least.
    The part you are talking (mostly) about is [pre-combat]. I'm talking about [combat]. You either play with hindering, or you're stuck with a single dodge every 30 seconds and soak all other damage. Outrunning, impossible, circling around the target, no use.

    I have no gripes with the setup [pre-combat]. It's basically magic the gathering. Gather your deck of skills, make them match as perfectly as possible and create your own unique build. The possiblities are limitless and could possibly even be expanded far beyond its current skillset. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

    Combat is just shite. Period. (that's an opinion, don't bother attacking me based on me saying period, when obviously you disagree) It's worse than all current MMO's because the animations are horrible, character movement is horrible and generic, jumping is only possible if your brain can deal with the image of you flapping your arms in a kung fu kind of way, while you raise both your feet from the ground and while keeping this exact pose for about .2 seconds too long in mid air, making it seem as if you just made yourself a flying statue in a horrible pose. If I'd see that happen in real life, I'd probably die laughing.

    One good thing about the models, female character + shotgun = nice ass.

    Summarized:
    - Skilldecks, ideas, classes, skilltrees: Good
    - Combat [execution of],models: Bad
    - Quests: very, very good
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-12 at 09:07 AM.

  7. #2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post

    One good thing about the models, female character + shotgun = nice ass.

    Summarized:
    - Skilldecks, ideas, classes, skilltrees: Good
    - Combat [execution of]: Bad
    - Quests: very, very good
    Disagree about female models, couldn't find a single one I liked! This is pretty much how I feel though. Quests are great, much better than any other MMO, especially the cut scenes. Skills are almost too complicated, but really intriguing once you get a handle on them. The problem with the combat is, as Vespian said, the animations are terrible and (at least at the start of the game) you just stand there and trade hits. The tedium is compounded by the relatively few skills you have available and that after the inital zombies mobs start to take a fair while to kill comparative to WoW/TOR/Rift. It might pick up later in the game when tactics and a need for different builds depending on mobs come into play, but at least at the beginning combat is an extremely tedious affair.

    That said, I played a bit more last night and really enjoyed it. Definitely has something going for it.

  8. #2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    The part you are talking (mostly) about is [pre-combat]. I'm talking about [combat]. You either play with hindering, or you're stuck with a single dodge every 30 seconds and soak all other damage. Outrunning, impossible, circling around the target, no use.

    I have no gripes with the setup [pre-combat]. It's basically magic the gathering. Gather your deck of skills, make them match as perfectly as possible and create your own unique build. The possiblities are limitless and could possibly even be expanded far beyond its current skillset. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

    Combat is just shite. Period. (that's an opinion, don't bother attacking me based on me saying period, when obviously you disagree) It's worse than all current MMO's because the animations are horrible, character movement is horrible and generic, jumping is only possible if your brain can deal with the image of you flapping your arms in a kung fu kind of way, while you raise both your feet from the ground and while keeping this exact pose for about .2 seconds too long in mid air, making it seem as if you just made yourself a flying statue in a horrible pose. If I'd see that happen in real life, I'd probably die laughing.
    You are talking about animations, not about combat. Combat = usage of abilities + movement of character. Animations = how your character is animated. Animation of characters is in the same category as graphic of the game, not combat. If you have problem with combat (which you definitelly can have), talk about combat.

    If you say combat is bad and explain it by bad animations I don't understand that reasoning. Would you say original CS has terrible fps combat, because its animations are bad ?
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-07-12 at 09:12 AM.

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  9. #2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daine View Post

    That said, I played a bit more last night and really enjoyed it. Definitely has something going for it.
    Yeah, people tend to forget, I'm also still playing. Apparently not allowed to call out the obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    You are talking about animations, not about combat. Combat = usage of abilities + movement of character. Animations = how your character is animated. Animation of characters is in the same category as graphic of the game, not combat. If you have problem with combat, talk about combat.
    Dude, let me repeat.
    - Combat = the part where you run around trying to avoid getting hit.
    - During combat, you move.... Oh WAIT! Now I get what you mean. Yes, you are correct, during combat, besides dodge, you do not move. So obviously movement is not a part of combat. I'm so sorry, I made a mistake there.
    - Combat = Stand still (statue like), soak damage. Sidestep aoe. Dodge if you have a 2+ seconds reaction time.

    But for the sake of the argument, let's assume that your character breathes while being in combat, right? Ok, well, the breathing looks horrible. And let's assume that your character occasionally raises an arm when firing a gun or hitting with a weapon. Well, you know, assuming they do, I would assume it looks horrible.

    All hypothetical of course.

    Without nonsense this time:
    (repeating this for the 5th time or so)
    Combat in TSW = [without hindering] soak damage, fire gun, sidestep out of aoe, soak more damage.
    Combat in TSW = [with hindering] run, kite, dodge, soak damage, fire gun, sidestep out of aoe, run, kite, possibly more dodge.

    Combat with hindering is doable. All combat without is standing still and soaking damage.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-12 at 09:18 AM.

  10. #2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Dude, let me repeat.
    - Combat = the part where you run around trying to avoid getting hit.
    - During combat, you move.... Oh WAIT! Now I get what you mean. Yes, you are correct, during combat, besides dodge, you do not move. So obviously movement is not a part of combat. I'm so sorry, I made a mistake there.
    - Combat = Stand still (statue like), soak damage. Sidestep aoe. Dodge if you have a 2+ seconds reaction time.

    But for the sake of the argument, let's assume that your character breathes while being in combat, right? Ok, well, the breathing looks horrible. And let's assume that your character occasionally raises an arm when firing a gun or hitting with a weapon. Well, you know, assuming they do, I would assume it looks horrible.

    All hypothetical of course.
    I am not saying that it's not a valid issue of the game (for some), but it's not what I think about when you say combat. Combat = rotations/priority list of abilities, how abilities interact with each other, resource management etc ... that's combat for me. Jumping funny ... that's cosmetic stuff.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 09:26 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Without nonsense this time:
    (repeating this for the 5th time or so)
    Combat in TSW = [without hindering] soak damage, fire gun, sidestep out of aoe, soak more damage.
    Combat in TSW = [with hindering] run, kite, dodge, soak damage, fire gun, sidestep out of aoe, run, kite, possibly more dodge.

    Combat with hindering is doable. All combat without is standing still and soaking damage.
    There you go ... spec into hindering then

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  11. #2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I am not saying that it's not a valid issue of the game (for some), but it's not what I think about when you say combat. Combat = rotations/priority list of abilities, how abilities interact with each other, resource management etc ... that's combat for me. Jumping funny ... that's cosmetic stuff.
    I don't see it that way. So let me ask you. Let's assume you are a rock. The rock is stuck in one place and it can only fight with other rocks, that are also stuck in one place. You can't move, or make a sound and [combat] lasts ages. You're casting a list of abilities, based on priorities or rotation. The rotation goes pretty much like this:

    Rock on \oo/ -> Rock the boat -> Rolling Stone -> Hold breath -> Deadly Stare -> Gravity
    None of them do anything.

    That's combat. Without animations, without movement, without models, there is no combat.

    Oh and also, please do read my edit.

    There you go ... spec into hindering then
    But that's still no reason to claim that all combat for all classes and choices is well done. In this case I don't think the exception makes the rule.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-12 at 09:44 AM.

  12. #2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I don't see it that way. So let me ask you. Let's assume you are a rock. The rock is stuck in one place and it can only fight with other rocks, that are also stuck in one place. You can't move, or make a sound and [combat] lasts ages. You're casting a list of abilities, based on priorities or rotation. The rotation goes pretty much like this:

    Rock on \oo/ -> Rock the boat -> Rolling Stone -> Hold breath -> Deadly Stare -> Gravity
    None of them do anything.

    That's combat. Without animations, without movement, without models, there is no combat.
    Why without movement ? You are forced to move in TSW more often than in WoW or TOR for example and you have fast dodge to play around with. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's better than in other MMOs. Aside from that yes, you do your rotation/priority list combat, you move out of stuff, you take damage/use defensive stuff/kite/cc ... Feel free to specify what more do you expect from MMO combat.

    Animations and models = cosmetic. I really don't care about that, but even if you do care you should word it properly. You can say the combat LOOKs bad, but if you say the combat IS bad ... you should reason with combat mechanics which imho are no worse than todays standard for MMOs. That's how I see it ... TSW has great settings/questing. Some interesting dungeon bosses. Interesting class system. And the combat is standard. You can add that it does not look as good as in some of the other MMOs.

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  13. #2013
    Let's assume the rock has legs and can move, but doesn't have to move, because there's no necessity. So he doesn't. Does that make it more exciting combat?

  14. #2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Let's assume the rock has legs and can move, but doesn't have to move, because there's no necessity. So he doesn't. Does that make it more exciting combat?
    What MMO are you talking about now ? Because this applies to any MMO I have played, more to others than to TSW. Don't remember one instant I had to move while leveling in WoW or TOR or AoC or WAR or GW1 etc ... In TSW and GW2 I move just because I see something on the ground and why not move if it makes me sustain fights better.

    What's the worst that can happen to you ...

  15. #2015
    Brewmaster Grantji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    whenever my faction rules in PvP I notice I get a huge buff during questing. The PvP status has a realtime impact on everyone in the faction. Don't know about the end of the week rewards yet...
    you get white marks of venice depending on how long and often your faction controls fusang and wins/loses the other two BGs ... at least that's what i read in general chat yesterday

  16. #2016
    is the game worth picking up? doesnt have to be brilliant but i want a decent time killer, with decent(ish) pvp for an mmo, and at least the prospect of frequent updates / improvements. I could read online reviews.. but id prefer gamer opinions of people still playing.

    dont want to start anything negative but i quit the old republic due to horrible horrible pvp.. is gear mechanics and general pvp better, worse, or same?
    Dictated but not read.

  17. #2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    is the game worth picking up? doesnt have to be brilliant but i want a decent time killer, with decent(ish) pvp for an mmo, and at least the prospect of frequent updates / improvements. I could read online reviews.. but id prefer gamer opinions of people still playing.

    dont want to start anything negative but i quit the old republic due to horrible horrible pvp.. is gear mechanics and general pvp better, worse, or same?
    Totally worth it!
    the quests are just awesome and sometimes are very difficult too ^^ (but still in a fun way and not in a "whoarg-i-hate-this-game-now" way ^^)
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-07-12 at 02:23 PM.

  18. #2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ilTeatrino View Post
    Totally worth it!
    the quests are just awesome and sometimes are very difficult too ^^ (but still in a fun way and not in a "whoarg-i-hate-this-game-now" way ^^)
    cheers thats like £10-12 saving.. having looked at buying the game from the official website i noticed the starter packs had bonus stuff like extra character slots and life time 10% store discount.. along with a monthly sub (guessing as the game comes with 30 days of playtime :P) does the store play a big part to the game or is it more vanity items with little to no actual benefit.

    also pvp opinions would be appreciated as its a bigger deal for me than pve
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-07-12 at 02:24 PM.
    Dictated but not read.

  19. #2019
    Brewmaster insmek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,396
    Good lord this game is fun. It's just the right mixture of fantasy and the modern world, and just the right blend of traditional MMORPG elements, detective work, and action. The combat feels good, the abilities are varied and fun, and the controls don't get in the way of themselves.

    I'm currently playing an Illuminati Gunslinger by the name of Severus "HBP" Snape. ^_^

  20. #2020
    Picked up the game last night, and just got into Kingsmouth a little this morning. The, hands down, best thing this game has going for it is atmosphere. It's better than any game on the market in that respect (I'll exclude GW2 because it isn't out yet) and I didn't realize how much I've been wanting to play a Lovecraftian horror game. Combat is standard hotkey combat, so far dodge is a rare thing to use, only to avoid a big hit every now and then. I like the skill tree, I love full customization, instead of the direction games like WoW go. It's confusing and overwhelming, but I want that, which is why I didn't choose to go with a deck. Basically I went into this game with no knowledge of it, and it's really fun to learn all the complexities of it.

    By the way, I'm going pistols/chaos magic, anyone able to tell me if this is worth sticking with before I dump anymore points into it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •