Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Virtual Reality gaming, Is it possible?

Do you think that in the future, our gaming will have evolved to virtual reality? by virtual reality, i mean that the signals of the video game are uploaded into your brain, and you act out your character. Like, you are in the virtual world, and you swing a sword and cut down virtual enemies.

This would be the ultimate awesomeness. but, do you think its possible?

I do think it is possible. with the technological progress we have made in the past 15 years, who knows what its gonna be like 50 years from now. Were gonna be able to fit googles of information in computer chips the size of a fingernail. Implanting images into a brain is simply electronic signals, and its inevitable that we will develop this in the future.

I can see potential problems with this type of gaming, but their are problems with everything

It would be pretty cool, But I mean look at the Aniumus, didnt it make people fucking insane?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarim View Post
    It would be pretty cool, But I mean look at the Aniumus, didnt it make people fucking insane?
    well, the Animus was completly different. you were living the lives of your past ancestors, fucking with your DNA. a Virtual reality game wouldnt mess with your DNA. but who knows, we wont know the problems untill we invent it

I think people in general would be more interested in virtual gaming if it's more like the Star Trek holodeck than if it's entirely cerebral.

My evidence: personal 3d viewscreens never really took off (the helmet variety), but 3d motion games are HUGE. We really do like to feel like we're actually interacting, even if we pretend to be asocial gamers sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course its possible, cant wait for it

virtual reality has always been one of the two things i want to live long enough to experience

They're already experimenting on these kinds of games. By using your brain, and your brain only to do simple tasks as swinging a sword, picking up objects and walking from A to B. Brain>Computer>Reaction.

Brain implants allowing blind people to visualize their surroundings is already being tested and developed.

I hope I'll be around to experience these types of Virtual games.

They have already developed the first phase of this technology the company Emotiv Systems. http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ntroller-brain

So to answer your question yes 100% most defently infact ill be buying this product when it launches in Decemeber. its expensive around 300$ but worth the cash if it means i can eat and fap while playing guildwars 2.

Its funny the company was orginally call it (The Force) but george lucas arts were gonna sue them for the use of force in the name LoL.
    Last edited by Hellspawnx; 2011-05-28 at 01:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    virtual reality is when you are put into the game, your mind is put in control of an avatar and you do everything a regular human can do in RL.

Aka Brain Uploaded into Game System=Fun fun fun.
    Cant happen though,you would have to be sleeping or something, unplugging the machine while in play could cause brain damage.
    and people cant connect organic tissue with mechanical parts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Saw some thing on the history channel where they HAVE invented the technology to control computers through brain signals. It was of course.. a small percent of people that were able to do it and it was moving a pixel slightly :P

Well have to see how technology develops for games, I also read somewhere that because of the tech involved for creating modern games that someday the costs will get so high that video games will be something the rich only have the luxury to play :P

When I hear of this kind of thing, I think Avatar.

i think the third guy hit the head of the nail star trek style in a 3d chamber with friends and others that way your doing it with your body not some charector your playing as its you that would be the ultimant game

I think its possible, imagine some games like Amnesia with it though... oh my.

10+ Year Old Account
    <---- Wants something like that fighting game from G Gundam that Domon and that Swedish chick broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Saw some thing on the history channel where they HAVE invented the technology to control computers through brain signals. It was of course.. a small percent of people that were able to do it and it was moving a pixel slightly :P

Well have to see how technology develops for games, I also read somewhere that because of the tech involved for creating modern games that someday the costs will get so high that video games will be something the rich only have the luxury to play :P
    I dunno, I doubt only rich people will be able to play them.

I think that only rich people will be able to OWN the device, but video arcades will serve the middle class. I'm not totally sure about this, but if you were playing a game inside your brain, time would significantly slow down since your brain does actions as such fast speeds. so, like you buy an hour of game time for 29.99, and in your head, you are in the virtual world for like 6 hours.

Sorta like, only rich people own Pinball machines, but you can pay to play one at any arcade.

Imagine if you lagged or crashed or something, that would really suck

It depends on what style of VR and how detailed of an experience your looking for.
    As others have pointed out there has been some limited success at picking up brainwaves to control computers. This is very young tech though so how fine the control is can be very limited. In addition it will not work as well for everybody do to peoples brains just functioning differently from each other. This is only 1 way communication though, these systems can not currently inject data directly into the brain for fully immersive experiences (Matrix style VR) on the other hand you could probably pair it with VR goggles, headsets an even a force feedback body suit to come up with a pretty good facsimile in the next decade or two.

I suspect holodeck type VR to be a more likely solution for the whole "You are there" experience. It would not surprise me if we had non solid holograms that were fairly realistic in a few years although I dont think we'll have "Hard light" holograms in our lifetimes. Agian could probably play some games with bodysuits to give the illusion of physically interacting with the holograms though.

Blizzard did it already, mon.
    Check out their Neural Interface:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/l...ural-Interface

WoW be in virtual space, mon!

:P
    Last edited by ssambakd; 2011-05-28 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear you go into a coma irl if you die in one of those games, and you only wake up until some kid saves the game world

Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    I hear you go into a coma irl if you die in one of those games, and you only wake up until some kid saves the game world
    .//Hack, much?