Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by razisgosu View Post
    Give me Sword Art Online without all the dying and I'd be very happy. I'd love for some legit playable virtual reality gaming.
    Oh dude, i think about Sword Art Online everyday. Call me crazy but i think i would enter the game even if i die irl if i die there.

I would love to see Virtual Reality in my my life span. I have been descussing this with some of my friends (we are all seeing SOA) and some say we will have it in 50 years, others say 100, others 150. I personnaly think they are crazy and it will take no longer than 20-30 years.

Well, in order for an event to be considered virtual REALITY, it must be experienced as such. Meaning, EEG scanners, and the like, fall very, very short of true VR. But on the other hand, EEG scanners may very well be half the battle, in terms of interaction, but is it possible to replicate reality? I'm honestly not sure. Lets put this in perspective: it takes an unimaginable amount of physical, chemical, and electrical processes, interacting in a specific way, to create what we know as "reality". Now, how do we reproduce this? Well, as all these processes are interconnected (physical, chemical, electrical), we'll assume affecting one process will influence the others. So what's the best route? Physical isn't really necessary, or more so, just impractical. Chemical is probably the most viable prospect in this day and age, though highly intrusive (unethical even?). And lastly, electrical, such as affecting human brain wave function through electromagnetic radiation (microwaves, as in Sword Art Online). The latter seems the most viable, though I'm hardly qualified to say...

On another note, while virtual reality could be used for gaming, I'd expect it to create an industry within itself, assuming it's possible. Say chemical or physical processes end up being the medium for VR: while preserving, maintaining, and manipulating endless amounts of chemicals/instruments may be entirely impractical in an individuals home (or illegal), it may be quite practical on a small businesses level (similar to Total Recall, except VR instead of implanted memory).

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I think its possible, imagine some games like Amnesia with it though... oh my.
    That just made me shiver involuntarily. I think I'd have a heart attack.