Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Basic healing addons?

Just want to know your addons when healing, im discipline priest

Deleted
    for healing in general you should be using raid frames (grid, healbot, any other addon that supplies them) together with on-hover functionality, such as that of clique.
    the reason for the on-hover functionality is to save the time it takes for you to select a target by clicking and then selecting a heal by pressing the keybind for the heal. with clique you can hover over the player's frame and never have to physically target them.

a lot of people prefer using grid due to configurability, and clique because clique supports pretty much any kind of bind you can think of.

anything else is just personal preference, as you might want to have a cooldown timer, etc.

On my Holy Pally I just use ElvUI, Decursive, and PowerAuras for my Holy Power. Not sure if you would need the PowerAuras because I don't play priests often or at high level. But honestly, I don't see why you would need anything else. I did try HealBot once back in WotLK on my shaman but I just couldn't do it. I felt like a bad using it since it pretty much did everything for you, plus it kind of made me tunnel vision hard. No idea why

Deleted
    I prefer to only use grid. The rest are just basic addons, not linked to healing per se at all.

Grid + Grid raid debuffs + Clique.

I prefer to use only X-perl raid frames and heal the old fashioned way. A lot of people will argue with me, but I'll outheal almost anyone who uses an addon anyday. Mouseover healing could be useful if you like it, it's not my preference. If you select your new target within the GCD it doesn't make things any faster.

Edit: Oh yea, Decursive is good. I do use that. Saves a spot on my action bar too.
    Last edited by Morgano; 2011-05-28 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Decursive
    "Casuals don't read mmo-champion, because they're too busy being bad in heroics." - Tarragon @ Earthen Ring US

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me start by saying that add-ons aren't needed at all. A lot of people heal completely without and manage just fine.
    If you do want to use add-ons you're probably looking for raid frames. These give you a good overview of everyones health and status effects. The most popular ones are Grid, Vuhdo and Healbot. There's a fair chance this thread will end up in an argument on which is better, but all 3 are perfectly fine.
    Another things some healers use is a way to not have to target in order to heal. This is done either by mouse-over macros (/cast [@mouseover] Heal) or with some kind of click functionality. Vuhdo and Healbot have this build in, but if you use the standard raid frames or Grid you can pick up Clique which does the same thing.

Another useful add-on is PowerAuras which is amazingly useful and customizable.
    As a Discipline Priest you will probably want to use a Rapture timer, but I can't help you with that since I don't play Discipline.

Edit:
    Might as well tell you what I use. I've customized Grid so it does exactly what I want and combine that with mouse-over macros.

Lastly I'd like to ask the members of the community to not make this an argument on which raid frame is best or how (not) using add-ons makes you bad. I know I don't have any power, but these kind of threads all too often become that, and it gets annoying having to refute all that.
    Last edited by Ynna; 2011-05-28 at 02:52 PM.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Valius View Post
    Grid + Grid raid debuffs + Clique.
    Yeah what this guy said. What I like about grid + grid click sets is that it allows you to heal and entire raid with out ever-changing your target. As a resto shammy who's wind shear is almost never off cd this is very important to men

I'm usually a druid, but I also heal as disc sometimes. For that I have macros for Smite and Holy Fire that will attack my friendly targets hostile targets so I can keep target on the tank or another player and still use Smite/HF on the mob.
    "Casuals don't read mmo-champion, because they're too busy being bad in heroics." - Tarragon @ Earthen Ring US

Deleted
    I use blizz raid frames

As mentioned, a Raid frame UI is very helpful... as they beat the default one WoW uses...

After that, you can opt to use mouse over macros, or various addons that give you the same functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Let me start by saying that add-ons aren't needed at all. A lot of people heal completely without and manage just fine.
    You could play all of WoW without any addons and "manage just fine". However, that is akin to a marathon runner not using shoes and "managing just fine". Sure you can run 26 miles without shoes but why would you when your performance is absolutely better using them?

There is simply no way anyone in the world has healed H Sinestra without using something like Grid, Healbot, or Vuhdo. In fact, I doubt there are many people anywhere in the world that have healed any heroic boss this tier without using raidframes to help them. So yes, if all you want to do is heal a random, you could probably get away without using an addon (dispelling on fights like the last boss in VP might be a challenge though). But if you are a healer interested in maximizing your performance and increasing the success of your guild/raid, I strongly recommend grid, healbot, or Vuhdo.

Note: I use healbot but I only heal part time. If I every because a main spec healer for my guild I would probably put in the time to learn to use Grid or Vuhdo (I have heard really good things about Vuhdo).
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

The only AddOn you will ever need or want is VuhDo

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...ils/vuhdo.aspx

You can customize mouse clicks to use spells or macros... Offensive spells or defensive ones. I have a 2 button mouse and I can cast all the spells in a priest's spellbook easily. Huge amount of customizable options.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakkmur View Post
    You could play all of WoW without any addons and "manage just fine". However, that is akin to a marathon runner not using shoes and "managing just fine". Sure you can run 26 miles without shoes but why would you when your performance is absolutely better using them?

There is simply no way anyone in the world has healed H Sinestra without using something like Grid, Healbot, or Vuhdo. In fact, I doubt there are many people anywhere in the world that have healed any heroic boss this tier without using raidframes to help them. So yes, if all you want to do is heal a random, you could probably get away without using an addon (dispelling on fights like the last boss in VP might be a challenge though). But if you are a healer interested in maximizing your performance and increasing the success of your guild/raid, I strongly recommend grid, healbot, or Vuhdo.

Note: I use healbot but I only heal part time. If I every because a main spec healer for my guild I would probably put in the time to learn to use Grid or Vuhdo (I have heard really good things about Vuhdo).
    I raid hc's and got 5/13 currently and i dont use grid/vuhdo/healbot /Wtv, and im one of the best healers that my guild has, using blizz raid frames is enough for me and i like , and it is easy for me

10+ Year Old Account

Actually, a lot of hunter-gatherers ran (and run) more than a marathon without shoes and do better than most professionals would. But I get what you're saying.
    Since Blizzard changed the default raid frames, they've become completely functional and show everything a add-on would show, so it's perfectly viable to heal like that. I personally don't like how they look and the lack of customizability but I've healed with them and did no worse than when I was using Grid. I just wanted to point out that not using add-ons was an option, as I can imagine some players doesn't want to deal with the troubles of installing and customizing these add-ons. Not everyone who plays WoW wants to down Sinestra.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

This guy is the guy I was waiting to pop up. Anyone who tells you that you need anything more than basic raid frames to be the best you can possibly be is ignorant. Don't listen to that crap.

Deleted
    Vuhdo and Ingela's Rapture is a good start for Disci. I'm a Power aura addict too.

Never tried it, but I had good feedbacks on Elvui. You might want to try it before anything else since everything seems to be more or less working out of the box.

15+ Year Old Account
    Decursive is the one addon I would say is a must currently, for any class that can dispel, not just healers. Beyond that it is personal preference. I have tried VuhDo and Clique, and always seem to come back to X-Perl. I personally found its interface more intuitive to use when attempting to replicate UI's I have seen on various sites or videos that had elements I wanted to emulate. I also use mouseover macros so that I can heal without changing targets--I set them up on my usual keybinds, which made the transition from click-and-cast much easier when I decided to change styles. There is a good synopsis of them on World of Matticus:

http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/...seover-macros/

This is the style I use, taken from the article:

#showtooltip
    /cast [target=mouseover,help] Lifebloom; [help] Lifebloom; Lifebloom

As per Keeva’s explanation, this macro means:

“If I have a mouseover target, cast Lifebloom on them
    If I don't have a mouseover target but I have a normal target, cast Lifebloom on them
    if I don't have a mouseover target or normal target, cast Lifebloom on me.”

15+ Year Old Account
    Clique and the blizz frames are perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with the new raid frames.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mouseover macros. Learn them. Love them.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________