Thread: Mac g5

10+ Year Old Account

Mac g5

So I got an old G5 as a rescue and I'm thinking if it would be worthwhile to power it up. It's a solid case and its looking pretty good. Put the new OS on it and everything, only missing an update or so. All I have to go by right now is that it has 2 256MB DDR cards, not much more to go on for now, still have to turn it on and investigate a bit. Do you guys think this old marvel would be worth upgrading? I have some $300.00 I'd be willing to put into this project. Also, curiously, does anyone know by any chance if I'd be able to put DDR2 cards on it as long as I don't mix them up?

If it has 2 256MB DDR cards then it's ancient. Therefore, it most likely has a horrible CPU, GPU and everything else! You most certainly should not spend any money on it. Especially not £300. You would essentially be wasting money, which is never a good thing, ever.
    Last edited by Jaqera; 2011-05-28 at 08:21 PM.

A PowerPC won't run Mac OS 10.6. But it will run 10.5. There are G5s with DDR and DDR2 RAM; they are not compatible with the other.

It's pretty much a waste of power except for nostalgia's sake. :-P We live in the age where $200 will buy you a Sandy Bridge with motherboard and 4GB of RAM. 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR for $55 surprised me in a good way, though.

G5 Macs suck twice the amount of power as current PC for quarter of the raw computing power, that thing is about 6-7 years old now. You'll get more out of it if you sell it instead of put a single penny on upgrades, or recycle the case for some modern PC.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a shame!! It looks so badass, I thought after some upgrades it would be worth it. .. thanks all for your help!