Magma Totem vs Stealth

I admit, my understanding of my own magma totem is limited. I've been placing it at the start of an arena when there is a rogue involved thinking that it would give me some protection.

I seem to be getting sapped even while standing on the totem. How do the mechanics of the totem work and how can I improve my chances of pulling a rogue out of stealth with it? Over 200 spell pen currently so any insight would help.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhud View Post
    I admit, my understanding of my own magma totem is limited. I've been placing it at the start of an arena when there is a rogue involved thinking that it would give me some protection.

I seem to be getting sapped even while standing on the totem. How do the mechanics of the totem work and how can I improve my chances of pulling a rogue out of stealth with it? Over 200 spell pen currently so any insight would help.

Thx
    As it's down spam fire nova. Make sure you're right in the middle of the totem too, it'll give you a higher chance of him messing up and running in.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    rogues sap has a 10 yard range so they do not have to stand in it to sap you
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

Quote Originally Posted by capslocked View Post
    As it's down spam fire nova. Make sure you're right in the middle of the totem too, it'll give you a higher chance of him messing up and running in.
    Dude, which patch you are living in?

OT: Magma totem does pulses, any pro rogue will count a pulse before getting close to sap.
    Also sap doesn't require melee range.
    Playing both shaman and rogue, I can tell that no rogues with half brain would get caught to magma totem.

So your best bet is to get in combat asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithgroth View Post
    Dude, which patch you are living in?

OT: Magma totem does pulses, any pro rogue will count a pulse before getting close to sap.
    Also sap doesn't require melee range.
    Playing both a shaman and a rogue, I can tell that no rogues with a half brain would get caught to magma totem.

So your best bet is to get in combat asap.
    Haven't arena'd with my shaman in that long, my bad.
    Still, though, if you're on the ropes in the one arena, place it at the start of them, stand back.
    Put it before they reach you in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by capslocked View Post
    Haven't arena'd with my shaman in that long, my bad.
    Still, though, if you're on the ropes in the one arena, place it at the start of them, stand back.
    Put it before they reach you in other words.
    I think he's refering to the fact that fire nova no longer comes from your totem, but your flameshock target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shamans have no reliable way of getting Rogues out of stealth. I don't even bother using magma totem in 3's, because I don't have time to replace flametongue against an RMP if he gets a sap off. The chances of him being retarded and hitting magma totem are so little, because most Rogues don't run through you when they sap.

Deleted
    Rogues can even sap without getting flared out when people are standing right in the middle of the aforementioned flare, let alone getting knocked out by magma totem. Your best bet as a (resto) shaman is just the usual tell one of your team mates to get in and then buff them or cleanse them or something of the likes to get combat off them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the old days. Using Fire Nova when it pulsed out of magma totem got many a rogue out of stealth in my day. Now this Flame Shock bullshit sucks.

YOUR BEST BEST: Get in combat before he can sap you.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin