Thread: Work Outs

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Work Outs

    Pretty simple, any suggestions on good ab work outs? Thanks

  2. #2
    Insanity Cardio Abs

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    2,821
    No. I bodybuild and i hate/refuse to help anyone whose only going to work one muscle group. If you want abs, you have to get biceps, triceps, shoulders, traps, back, lats, quads, calves ect... If so, i'll then help you.

    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    No. I bodybuild and i hate/refuse to help anyone whose only going to work one muscle group. If you want abs, you have to get biceps, triceps, shoulders, traps, back, lats, quads, calves ect... If so, i'll then help you.
    I am starting with abs because I naturally have a decent body other than that. But what would you suggest?

  5. #5
    A lifting program focused around compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, ohp's, and benching. Hit your compounds hard enough you engage your core get shredded abs without ever doing an isolation ab excercise.

  6. #6
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    321
    Work out your entire body and abs will come through. Also Abs show up only when you're at a certian percent of body fat. Since you can't just lose body fat in one place you have to work your entire body to get abs.

  7. #7
    Sense I have to work out my whole body, what are some good work outs?
    I found this work out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHDHOraRkY

    I can definitely feel that one when I am done. I usually do it for about 10 minutes or so
    Is that one a good work out? yes? no? should I add to it? if so what?

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-28 at 09:36 PM ----------

    Any suggestions?

  8. #8
    Field Marshal XeroDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA.
    Posts
    59

    Abdominal Workouts-- few things to know

    Ok bro here are a few things to know:

    Personally, that guy in the video link you had is not in shape (in my opinion)-- I give him credit for him trying to get himself out there as a Fitness Guy, but he has awhile to go. He is getting himself in shape, and I commend him for his efforts; but by no means is he there in top tier shape yet. If you're curious, I posted is a picture of me on pg. 645 of the "Post An Image Of Yourself" Thread. My development has increased and will posting a new pic of me within the next week or so on my personal site. I did this workout-- didn't do much for me at all. But if it works for you then awesome. But below are the tips I've put together for you-- especially if you have access to a gym. I hope my post helps.

    01. You often get great Core (Abdominals, Side Wall, Obliques, Lower Back) development from heavy Squats and/or Deadlifts. Your Core is locked and in a fixed position-- so it's always having stress on it. So you don't just get Abs from just doing Abs-- its a popular misconception.

    02. Work all portions of your body-- do not think you will get abs because you think you look good/okay everywhere else. If you feel that way, post/pm me a pic of yourself cause I'd be curious to see what your development is thus far if all you feel like you need is abs.

    03. Depends upon what your diet/nutrition/supplementation looks like. If your diet is not clean and consistent, your abdominals wont be either (cannot stress that enough)

    04. Working/Putting Focus on your Erector Spinae (Lower Back) will give/show abdominal development. Your Lower Back must be just as important as your abs (similar to how your Chest is to your Back)

    Saying All That, Here Are Some Abdominal Tips:

    01. Scientific Research has revealed on numerous account your Abdominals and your Calves can be worked every single day because of how much they are stressed in everyday life. Further, your abs are very close to your heart and lungs-- meaning they can oxidize and recover quickly. So you can do your abs at the end of every single workout-- but vary the exercises each day and make sure your hitting at least a large muscle group everyday your lifting.

    02. Your Core is broken down into the following areas: Abdominals (Lower Abdominals, Middle Abdominals, Upper Abdominals), Side-Wall, Obliques, and Erector Spinae (lower back)

    03. When you curl your hips to compress your Abdominal Wall, thats when your working your Middle-Lower abs. When you curl your shoulders to compress your abdominal wall, your working your Upper-Middle Abs. So make sure you do both.

    04. You have 2 Variations of Abdominal Exercises: BodyWeight Exercises and Weighted Exercises. BodyWeight Exercises will tone your abs up--peeling the skin back towards your abs. Weighted Exercises increase the depth (kinda like size) of your abs-- giving your abs the more large brick look.

    05. While both are essential to attaining an awesome mid-section, Lower Weighted Abdominals are the key to have really nice abs (in my opinion) because they are the hardest, but you need to be in VERY good shape to do them (similar to be fully geared in a heroic 25-man raid; because the time you put in getting that end-game tier gear, if you put it in the gym, you'd have a physique to match it. Trying to speak metaphorically here lol)

    Heres An Example of one of my Abdominal Routines (FOLLOWING the working of 2 major muscle groups-- take about 15-25 mins to do). All of these exercises are to be Cycled, as in you do one following the other. The optimal rest period is ONLY when going to the next station (so theoretically, its 15-20sec break). You are to do the cycle 4 times. I could make this difficult but you would need time to develop the right amount of core strength to do so.

    * weighted would be like putting at least a 5lb. dumbbell inbetween your feet (remember, curl your hips to compress your abdominal wall)

    01. Roman Chair Weighted Leg Raise (4 sets @ 10-15 rep range)

    02. Hanging Leg Raise (4 sets @ 13-20 rep range)

    03. Roman Chair Weighted Knee Raise (4 sets @ 10-15 rep range)

    04. Hanging Knee Raises (4 sets @ 13-20 rep range)

    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/XeroDivide/

    (my web page showing my growth from when I started to now-- my 2 year mark of training is coming up soon so I'll be sure to post a pic then)
    Last edited by XeroDivide; 2011-05-29 at 04:59 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroDivide View Post
    Ok bro here are a few things to know:

    Personally, that guy in the video link you had is not in shape (in my opinion)-- I give him credit for him trying to get himself out there as a Fitness Guy, but he has awhile to go. He is getting himself in shape, and I commend him for his efforts; but by no means is he there in top tier shape yet. If you're curious, I posted is a picture of me on pg. 645 of the "Post An Image Of Yourself" Thread. My development has increased and will posting a new pic of me within the next week or so on my personal site. I did this workout-- didn't do much for me at all. But if it works for you then awesome. But below are the tips I've put together for you-- especially if you have access to a gym. I hope my post helps.

    01. You often get great Core (Abdominals, Side Wall, Obliques, Lower Back) development from heavy Squats and/or Deadlifts. Your Core is locked and in a fixed position-- so it's always having stress on it. So you don't just get Abs from just doing Abs-- its a popular misconception.

    02. Work all portions of your body-- do not think you will get abs because you think you look good/okay everywhere else. If you feel that way, post/pm me a pic of yourself cause I'd be curious to see what your development is thus far if all you feel like you need is abs.

    03. Depends upon what your diet/nutrition/supplementation looks like. If your diet is not clean and consistent, your abdominals wont be either (cannot stress that enough)

    04. Working/Putting Focus on your Erector Spinae (Lower Back) will give/show abdominal development. Your Lower Back must be just as important as your abs (similar to how your Chest is to your Back)

    Saying All That, Here Are Some Abdominal Tips:

    01. Scientific Research has revealed on numerous account your Abdominals and your Calves can be worked every single day because of how much they are stressed in everyday life. Further, your abs are very close to your heart and lungs-- meaning they can oxidize and recover quickly. So you can do your abs at the end of every single workout-- but vary the exercises each day and make sure your hitting at least a large muscle group everyday your lifting.

    02. Your Core is broken down into the following areas: Abdominals (Lower Abdominals, Middle Abdominals, Upper Abdominals), Side-Wall, Obliques, and Erector Spinae (lower back)

    03. When you curl your hips to compress your Abdominal Wall, thats when your working your Middle-Lower abs. When you curl your shoulders to compress your abdominal wall, your working your Upper-Middle Abs. So make sure you do both.

    04. You have 2 Variations of Abdominal Exercises: BodyWeight Exercises and Weighted Exercises. BodyWeight Exercises will tone your abs up--peeling the skin back towards your abs. Weighted Exercises increase the depth (kinda like size) of your abs-- giving your abs the more large brick look.

    05. While both are essential to attaining an awesome mid-section, Lower Weighted Abdominals are the key to have really nice abs (in my opinion) because they are the hardest, but you need to be in VERY good shape to do them (similar to be fully geared in a heroic 25-man raid; because the time you put in getting that end-game tier gear, if you put it in the gym, you'd have a physique to match it. Trying to speak metaphorically here lol)

    Heres An Example of one of my Abdominal Routines (FOLLOWING the working of 2 major muscle groups-- take about 15-25 mins to do). All of these exercises are to be Cycled, as in you do one following the other. The optimal rest period is ONLY when going to the next station (so theoretically, its 15-20sec break). You are to do the cycle 4 times. I could make this difficult but you would need time to develop the right amount of core strength to do so.

    * weighted would be like putting at least a 5lb. dumbbell inbetween your feet (remember, curl your hips to compress your abdominal wall)

    01. Roman Chair Weighted Leg Raise (4 sets @ 10-15 rep range)

    02. Hanging Leg Raise (4 sets @ 13-20 rep range)

    03. Roman Chair Weighted Knee Raise (4 sets @ 10-15 rep range)

    04. Hanging Knee Raises (4 sets @ 13-20 rep range)

    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/XeroDivide/

    (my web page showing my growth from when I started to now-- my 2 year mark of training is coming up soon so I'll be sure to post a pic then)


    So I am a beginner in the truest sense of the word. So some more questions I have are thing like
    1. What is a good diet?
    2. I don't have any weights, what exercises would I do with out them? Be as specific as possible. Thanks

  10. #10
    You got pretty shredded xero. *brofist

  11. #11
    Field Marshal XeroDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA.
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Markatron View Post
    You got pretty shredded xero. *brofist
    Thanks bro. That means alot to me-- especially when people can see where I started. The sad fact is everyone can achieve it; it may take longer than others due to lives they have lived for years, but it is most certainly in the realm of possibility. The people who make gains similar/ to me and higher are the ones who fall in love with the way they feel. They find meaning in the sacrifice and pain and construct a new life out of themselves. If you fall in love in your head by working out, and do the research to get a good plan of attack, trust me everything else comes together. It's all in your head; if you go in for the vanity, you won't achieve your goals; at least not the long-term goals. If anyone is curious, there is no fundamental answer or secret; its just hardwork, sweat, pain, and a desire to improve. People play WOW out of love and a sense of community and meaning-- working out I assure you is no different. Don't you laugh cringe at those who just want good gear, but don't want to put the time in to get where they want? It's kinda the same idea.

    ** Remember, fall in love with the way you feel when you close your eyes-- not when you open your eyes and look in the mirror.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-29 at 12:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingcooKiljaeden View Post
    So I am a beginner in the truest sense of the word. So some more questions I have are thing like
    1. What is a good diet?
    2. I don't have any weights, what exercises would I do with out them? Be as specific as possible. Thanks
    Putting a diet for together you is somewhat difficult only because of your FITT status (Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type). Also, your diet plan will be VERY difficult for you to adapt to at this time because of how new you are to Training. Further, you just started Training; meaning the Fitness lifestyle is something you got to warm up to (similar to jumping in the deep end of a pool without knowing how to hold your breath and not knowing how to swim). However I will link you the diet plan I am using-- and its from a renowned Training website (SimplyShredded.com). I've modified it by adding in an early morning Isolate Protein shake before breakfast and a overnight Casein Protein shake before sleep. My suggestion to you would be secure a gym membership at a local gym (if you have one close by, go to Gold's Gym in my opinion). Once you plot out your goals (if your goals are visual, they wont happen-- think deeper about your goals beyond what you look like) then put together your own Workout split. Me giving you a balls to the wall routine that will rock your growth might be suitable for you (think about those who get into raids when clearly gear wise they are not ready for raids). Below is the link-- Its the best one I've ever found in my life thus far. One more thing, your Training/BodyBuilding experience and knowledge will come from the info you get on your own plus those who have more experience lifting than you do. So what i'm saying is do your research, you'll be able others as I am helping you. Feel Me?

    Heres the link: http://www.simplyshredded.com/perfec...d-choices.html

    ** In terms of the exercises I gave you, if you cannot do any of the weighted stuff, just do the hanging abdominal exercises. If you are not capable of doing those, here is another link that I think is much better for abdominal sessions.

    http://www.simplyshredded.com/next-b...edded-com.html

    P.S.- if while you're going through Hell while doing these abdominal exercises and you feel like a sharp excruciating pain in your abs, KEEP GOING
    = )
    [IMG][/IMG]

  12. #12
    i have a lot of will power when i want to get something so adjusting my diet cold-turkey is no problem for me. Honestly, if what I'm eating is going to make me feel better, i could care less what it is (with in reason of course). And doing the exercises usually takes a while before it starts hurting. For example I can do 20-30 crunches before it starts to hurt. Once it starts to hurt I do them until my body doesn't let me anymore. Is that a good approach to the amount of exercise I do? Just do it till I can't?

    Oh and about that link you gave me for diets, that stuff is what my body naturally tells me I should be eating so that's encouraging. One thing I was curious about is soda, how bad is it for this kind of stuff?

    And the 2nd link is awesome but a bunch of the exercises require work out machines that I don't have access to, could I drop those exercises?

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-29 at 02:48 PM ----------

    I looked up nutrition information about soda......what I found made me so sick to my stomach that I am done with that shit.

  13. #13
    You need to make sure that your resting and giving your abs enough time to rebuild themselves. One of the best exercises I find for abs is close grip pull ups (palms facing each other) but you kinda need a cable machine with handles to do them.

    You should get yourself down the gym though, as someone said before you need to work the whole of your body, not just one part or it can lead to bad posture and other problems.
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.


  14. #14

  15. #15
    Blademaster darkalumina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The world that never was
    Posts
    48
    its best to work out your whole body as only working on your ab muscles can make your body be not proportional to every other part. But doing crunches, situps, leg lifts are pretty good also incline situps.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroDivide View Post
    I looked at your oldest photos. Checked the difference between the 07/13/2009 one and the one from 07/30/2009. That's 15 days.

    How the hell did you make a visible change in that short timespan? :S What's your secret!?

  17. #17
    You're brand new and you just want abs?

    There's really no easy way you should do it. You should build all of your muscle groups together, or it just looks weird.

    Also, abs are some of the hardest things to get, unless you have a naturally high metabolism and thus low body fat.

  18. #18
    Field Marshal XeroDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, PA.
    Posts
    59
    Thank you for pointing that out; my dates are off and I will fix them, the 2 pics you mentioned are within a month of each other-- not 15 days (I apologize for that). Honestly the secret is: there is no secret, it's just hard work and sweat. In my early days of training (when I had no idea what I was doing) I woke up, went for a 1-2 mile run (every morning). About 3-5 hours later from the run, I'd go to the gym for about 90mins. I did this for 5-6 days straight taking Sunday off; and have changed that since then. Back then I did alot of Deltoid and Arm work because i knew more exercises for that body part. I have better proportionality now though lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]

  19. #19
    Don't get me wrong. I'd still say that it's quite impressive getting those results within a month. Means there's hope for tubbies like me. Not that you were fat before, but still.

    I just got started, trying to hit the gym or the tracks every other day on average, to start with, and also put some thought into food and stuff. So will see how things go!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by supergrux View Post
    light, quick reps are best when building abs...
    Light quick reps are best at building muscular endurance. Not so great for adding mass.

    If you want to make your abdominal muscles bigger, then you need to induce muscular hypertrophy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •