Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] FMA Brotherhood

Ok so i was on Netflix and saw FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, i am now on ep 27 of brotherhood and wanted to know what the difference between the 2 was?

Thanks,
    Dannee

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong forum. As for the difference I don't know I haven't watched brotherhood nor plan to.

FMA Brotherhood follows a different story line than the original series did if i recall.

Something a little closer to the manga. It's been a while since I saw any brotherhood episodes though.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

its better imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to correct subforum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before I answer I need to know cause I haven't watched it in a while. What is Hughes curretly doing where you're at in the show

I'm pretty sure that Brotherhood follows the story of the original manga, while the other version kinda dips in and out and makes up its own story. I can honestly say that I enjoy Brotherhood a lot more than the other series though.

At this point Hughes is dead, and Mustang just found out that Bradley was really Fury and all that...

FMA and Brotherhood are pretty much the same, with a few differences, up until the boys go to see their old master, Izumi. That's where FMA diverges into an original story, while Brotherhood follows the manga.

Basically, when the first anime came out the manga was far from over (it was monthly, not weekly), so they had to make their own story/ending. Brotherhood was made as the manga was finishing, so there was no problem.

For what it's worth, I think Brotherhood is much, much better. It has an actual ending, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when the original anime was made, the manga only had a few issues out, the manga followed a pretty different storyline. This original anime is what made FMA famous, when someone says "FMA was awesome" they mean that original anime, not the manga, or brotherhood. Brotherhood and the manga essentially make the story a lot more comical, ie, more like naruto. Millions of subcharacters that don't play any major role and etc.

The original FMA is far better to brotherhood in the narrative sense, it's a lot darker. Brotherhood is what all the shonen loving naruto kids will prefer though, not that they're a bad group of people, just a different demographic to what the original FMA series was aiming for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garsgmog is pretty much right, both of them follow the manga but original full metal alchemist series stops after episode 25 or in other words when Hughes is dead. After that it kind of follows it's own story. Now brotherhoods first 25 episodes aren't exactly the same as the original but t follows the same general story line.
    Tbh brotherhood is better and it follows the manga. The homunculus are kind of different and the only thing that really bothers me about brotherhood is that scar is portrayed as more of a brute. I would have suggested watching the original first and the brotherhood but since your already watching it you might as well finish it and then watch original. Doubt you'll like it as much as brotherhood though

10+ Year Old Account
    To sum it up:
    FMA 1-51 veers away from the original manga.
    FMA: Brotherhood follows the manga 99.9%.

I like both, but since I read all the manga, I love Brotherhood more~

10+ Year Old Account
    Brotherhood is more like the manga, the first anime series is based off of the manga, but has changes such as Sloth being a woman rather than a man. I enjoyed Brotherhood quite a lot, it's a very good series in my opinion.

Brotherhood...comical?

The only "comical" thing is the panda, lol.

IMO, the final story arc blows anything the original FMA anime did out of the park.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite a few of the Homunculus are different. Trying not to give any spoilers, so I'm going to be pretty vague here. Wrath, Pride and Sloth are all completely changed. Greed starts off the same, but by the end of the series he is completely different. Lust, Gluttony and Envy are similar in each series, but have their own changes.

The creation and killing of an Homunculus is changed.

The villain behind the Homunculus is a completely different character in each series.

Brotherhood actually has an ending, whereas the original anime has a bit of a cliffhanger.

Brotherhood has no filler (that I can recall).

FMA Brotherhood >>> FMA
    That's all you need to know =P

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've seen the first series, you should certainly be able to tell a lot of the differences by episode 27... (just checked, NF stopped @ season 2 and the last episode was 26). Anyway, there are a lot of new characters in Brotherhood, the storyline is MUCH different (and in my opinion, much better), and some of the Humuncili names are changed around.

Brotherhood follows the manga to the T (as far as I know, waiting for a new volume in the local book store atm), where as the first series borrows some aspects from the manga and the rest is original. I think Brotherhood has more in-depth character development, for the main characters that is.

Brotherhood's Barry the Chopper is FAAAAAAAAAR superior than the first series'. He's my 2nd favorite in the whole thing, next to Ling.

Although, I do dislike how small of a part Hughes plays in Brotherhood as compared to the first series. His lack of involvement moved him from 1st to 3rd.
    Last edited by Hanto; 2011-05-29 at 06:37 AM.

the original followed the manga up to a point, however, then, from what i understand, it was being released faster than the manga, so the story ended up being different. i've only watched brothehood, but it's still one of my all time favourites animes EVA!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    The original FMA is far better to brotherhood in the narrative sense, it's a lot darker. Brotherhood is what all the shonen loving naruto kids will prefer though, not that they're a bad group of people, just a different demographic to what the original FMA series was aiming for.
    I think Brotherhood is slightly more comical, but is certainly more gory than than the fist series thus I don't think it's geared more towards Naruto-style fans. Naruto is all friendship and love, some betrayal, and lots of random abilities that just someone pulls out of their butt (thought I still read it....). Brotherhood has some of the friendship and love stuff, but it's much more down-to-earth and serious, and I feel like I can connect with Ed and Al suffering with the loss of their mother.

10+ Year Old Account
    for those of u saying FMA was a cliffhanger they had a movie to end the story it wasn't a great ending but it was ok