Page 1 of 3
LastLast

After workout shake - will help or hinder fat loss?

Got to a point where my workouts finally starting to see the half to 1 kilo a week loss from the waist area.

I'm keep hydration good, getting my sleep, getting a decent amount of omega fats and hitting both cardio and weights to promote changes in body shape.
    Assuming i'm actually lifting enough to need a couple of days aching to get the muscle back in shape (DOMS) would an an after workout shake help? I'm working on stretching out better after excercise to try and help.
    If not better protein intake or better stretching what else can I do to reduce the muscle soreness so I can go at it a little harder?
    Is the shake a good idea anyway for fat loss goals? It's a whey protein job with about as little fat and carbs as it can get away with and still allow the protein to be absorbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

I used it aswell when I was losing weight, just to help my muscles. If you use low fat milk it won't do any harm. Just don't use more then 300ml

My sister's boyfriend and i go to the 3-4 times a week. after we are down we go down to subway(my workplace) and mix our drinks. Atm im taking a suppliment that promotes growth and i take 2 scoops with 250ml of water 30 mins before my work and 10 mins after work out(thats how long it takes to walk to subway). if you really want to get into yeah start taking a shake and see what happens... i think its done well for me
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Your fat will decrease just because larger muscles consume more calories while idle. But at the same time you will not lose as much weight because taking in a lot of protein after a workout helps muscles grow which will make you gain weight from the muscles.

---------- Post added 2011-05-28 at 11:20 PM ----------

Ultimately 80% of fat loss comes from dieting anyways. So if you are just looking to lose weight a protein shake probably isn't the way to go. But if you are more interested in gaining muscle mass then a shake will help you achieve that. If you have a trainer or a dietician they can help you achieve your goals at lot better than a WoW forum though.

After working out, you want to feed your muscles with nutrients, such as a whey protein shake. As long it's not loaded with carbs but only protein, you'll be fine. Keeping your protein intake is important to maintain muscle mass, if not, you'll lose muscle and the metabolism that goes along with it.

Agree that losing weight the shakes aren't always the best idea, but if you're going with a lower fat whey mix, it's not going to reduce your fat loss that much, but could help with your muscle recovery.

Another side option would be to get some Amino Acids. I started taking some BCAA's after almost a month of working out and noticed a big difference in the amount of time my muscles were sore. Definitely worth looking in to, as they're not terribly expensive.
    Dindin - 85 Druid Boomkin/Resto - Demon Soul (H)
    Dinden - 84 Druid Feral/Feral - Demon Soul (H)
    Markeded - 85 Hunter - Doomhammer (A)
    Eggboi - 83 Paladin - Doomhammer (A)

screw the shake, drink piss. dead srs.

People use protein shakes after workouts for a quick way to get protein in to start muscle repair. The only difference between that and eating another source of protein is that liquids digest faster. In reality, you could eat a chicken or turkey breast after a workout and be fine. The only way shakes would really relate to fat/weight loss is to substitute for a meal and consume less calories than you normally would.

If you don't want it, don't drink it, it won't really matter. Most important thing is to recover whatever your body lost, and fix whatever needs fixing. Doesn't matter as much how you do it.

first of all what is your goal? losing weight or gaining muscle you can't do both at the same time as it is inefficient. I would suggest taking a fat burner(not needed but helps) before your workout and do cardio along with plyometrics/palates/yoga to lose fat. once you reach your desired percentage of total body fat (if you want abs under 10% is your goal) then you should start lifting weights to gain muscle assuming you want to be muscular. whey protein is a muscle builder. any protein not used is stored as fat so if your goal is to lose weight whey protein is only going hinder you. whey protein does make a decent snack replacement though, but don't take too much! whey has all your amino acids to help recovery time and protein to aid in muscle building.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowed View Post
    first of all what is your goal? losing weight or gaining muscle you can't do both at the same time as it is inefficient. I would suggest taking a fat burner(not needed but helps) before your workout and do cardio along with plyometrics/palates/yoga to lose fat. once you reach your desired percentage of total body fat (if you want abs under 10% is your goal) then you should start lifting weights to gain muscle assuming you want to be muscular. whey protein is a muscle builder. any protein not used is stored as fat so if your goal is to lose weight whey protein is only going hinder you. whey protein does make a decent snack replacement though, but don't take too much! whey has all your amino acids to help recovery time and protein to aid in muscle building.
    You definitely can do both, but it isn't easy at all. You need to have a really good balance of exercise, nutrition, and amounts/types of calories to accomplish it. This is why most don't bother, but it is possible (it also takes longer).

It is true that excess protein is converted and then stored as fat...IF and only IF it isn't used for energy. Just because your muscles didn't use it, doesn't mean it is automatically stored as fat, however.

If you eat less than you use for the day, even if it's a ton of protein, it will still result in weight loss.

You definitely can do both, but it isn't easy at all. You need to have a really good balance of exercise, nutrition, and amounts/types of calories to accomplish it. This is why most don't bother, but it is possible (it also takes longer).
    Note I said inefficient
    It is true that excess protein is converted and then stored as fat...IF and only IF it isn't used for energy. Just because your muscles didn't use it, doesn't mean it is automatically stored as fat, however.
    note i said protein not used
    If you eat less than you use for the day, even if it's a ton of protein, it will still result in weight loss.
    this is true but whey protein is used as a aid in gaining weight. so why would you drink something that aids in weight gain when you are trying to lose it

Note I said inefficient

note i said protein not used

this is true but whey protein is used as a aid in gaining weight. so why would you drink something that aids in weight gain when you are trying to lose it
    It isn't used primarily as a way of gaining weight. It's used simply to fill any voids that your regular diet can't produce in regards to protein. You don't need it if you get enough, and not all bodybuilders are trying to gain weight. They just need more protein. If we're being specific with words, that's what it is

Just don't want anyone going in thinking "whey protein is a weight gainer", it isn't.

I think it is because it is not really very filling and you feel hungry half an hour after so your just stuffing excess nutrients in your body. all im saying is whey protein is not something you want to take if your goal is to lose weight replace it with a healthy nutritious meal that will keep you full longer.

Sounds like you two have been reading too many amateur body building websites that are loaded with garbage false information.

To the Op, assuming your goal is to get fit, I would recommend taking a quick metabolizing source of protein after doing any heavy anaerobic exercise. This will help promote muscle repair as quickly as possible. On that same note, after completing a any aerobic exercise do not consume any calories directly after, in order to promote further fat burning. You should always maintain a good regular source of protein in order to promote growth of muscle. You should also consume healthy carbohydrates in order to maintain ideal energy levels. The most important factor to getting fit is to count your calories. First determine exactly how many you are burning in a day, including with your exercise, then consume the amount required to achieve your ideal body weight (within reasonable healthy limits). Should you maintain healthy consumption of protein, carbs and a high level of anaerobic and aerobic exercise you will lose fat and gain muscle (To the limit of the number of calories you are taking in) Contrary to the above posters, for your average joe looking for a p90x body it is much more efficient to burn both fat and gain muscle at the same time. Work hard, eat smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    Sounds like you two have been reading too many amateur body building websites that are loaded with garbage false information.

To the Op, assuming your goal is to get fit, I would recommend taking a quick metabolizing source of protein after doing any heavy anaerobic exercise. This will help promote muscle repair as quickly as possible. On that same note, after completing a any aerobic exercise do not consume any calories directly after, in order to promote further fat burning. You should always maintain a good regular source of protein in order to promote growth of muscle. You should also consume healthy carbohydrates in order to maintain ideal energy levels. The most important factor to getting fit is to count your calories. First determine exactly how many you are burning in a day, including with your exercise, then consume the amount required to achieve your ideal body weight (within reasonable healthy limits). Should you maintain healthy consumption of protein, carbs and a high level of anaerobic and aerobic exercise you will lose fat and gain muscle (To the limit of the number of calories you are taking in) Contrary to the above posters, for your average joe looking for a p90x body it is much more efficient to burn both fat and gain muscle at the same time. Work hard, eat smart.
    Don't look at me, I said it was possible ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    If i jump and lift hard stuff while playing WoW and drinking shake, will i get stronger?

after workout shakes are very important
    u can actually worsen your body if u do not replenish the energy u put out
    chocolate milk if very good after because it has alot of wut u need to keep your body doing
    i play alot of competitive basketball and i drink one or a Gatorade recover after every time i play and it helps me build muscle and keep me going for next time
    the way i look at it is it tops of your workout and helps u loose those extra pounds or get that much stronger/faster

It depends on the shake. BUT, you should drink a shake after working out. It delivers a very fast dose of protien to your muscles. Do not consider shakes a meal though. Eat more protien an hour later.

Watch which protien shakes you buy, it really does matter a lot. I get the protien from Costco that is low in sugar (very important) Normal protien shakes last in your body around 25-30 mins. I like using a mixture of Whey and Caseinates (Caseinates burns at a much slower pace allowing your bidy to pull on that protien over a longer period).

Muscle milk makes some great shakes that are both yummy and great for weight loss/muscle growth.

right after workout take a contrast shower to flush your muscles of the lactic acid build up, ive been intensely working out for 5 years and just started doing this. IT WORKED WONDERS, recovering time when down by a good day or 2.
    directions:
    step 1. go in shower and turn to cold( not cool, COLD)
    step 2. after a while, switch to very hot, now if u did it right the very hot water won't feel bad until your body adjusts to the temperture.
    step 3. After a bit of this, turn it back to really cold, and after a bit step out of shower( this is important because this will make your body cool all the way down to normal)
    step 4.????
    step 5. profit

first day i did this after a hard chest/arms day my muscles felt "drained" you could say and thats when you want to take all your protein stuffz.

Forget the shake, forget the...piss? Creatine, drink it, love it. Youll gain muscle faster than ever, and the soreness will go away.

Edit: Studies have shows it also makes you smarter.
    Last edited by Royalcrown; 2011-06-02 at 09:36 PM.