... LastLast
    Deleted
    What is 6 - 6 * 6 in trade chat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCH3MIST View Post
    What is 6 - 6 * 6 in trade chat?

Too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    That one's easy enough. Although the triangles are the same size, the area covered by the yellow and blue pieces is different. In the first it's 3x5=15, in the second it's 2x8=16 (one square short).

The triangles themselves are irrelevant; they're just defining the quadrangle you have to fit the blue and yellow pieces in to.
    Wrong, the fact is that the top one is not a triangle. If it were, the point where green meets red should've been one square to the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetrofi View Post
    Wrong, the fact is that the top one is not a triangle. If it were, the point where green meets red should've been one square to the left.
    Neither of the big triangles are triangles. The smaller (red+green) triangles are triangles, it is the fact that their hypotenuses have different gradients that the gap exists in the bottom triangle. In the top triangle, red is first, this has a shallower gradient than green and so makes the overall "triangle" bend in on itself. The bottom triangle green is first, which makes the overall triangle bend outwards, and because all of the individual shapes are exactly the same, there needs to be compensation in the form of a gap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    Also, prove mathematically that "women = problems" (nothing sexist intended, it's just how this little thing works. Could be used with men as well).
    women = time + money (women require time and money)
    time = money (but time is money, friend!)
    women = money2 (therefore meaning that girls are money + money .. or money squared!)
    money = √all evil (but as we all know, money is the root of all evil!!)
    women = evil (and if we cancel out the squares and roots we find that... GASP!)

:3 cookie now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnttodda View Post
    women = money2 (therefore meaning that girls are money + money .. or money squared!)

money+money would just give 2 money instead of money*money.. no cookie!

Quote Originally Posted by Tnttodda View Post

Evil? Interesting
    You get a cookie, but only if you change it to "women = time * money"

False proof that 2 =1:

Assume: a = b.

Multiply both sides by a: a^2 = ab

Subtract b^2 from both sides: a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

Factor: (a+b)(a-b) = b (a - b)

Cancel: (a+b) = b

Substitute: (b + b) = b

Simplify: 2b = b

Cancel: 2 = 1

As the conclusion is false, obviously there is a mistake in this proof. The riddle is to find it. And as I'm sure many of yall have seen this standard trick, I'll leave it to yall to find the error.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Assume: a = b.

Factor: (a+b)(a-b) = b (a - b)

if a equals b, then a - b = 0. something * 0 = 0. that's the math problem.

my turn.

if a rooster lays 11 eggs and the farmer took 5, and another rooster lays 14 eggs, but 5 are rotten, how many eggs are left?

you are driving a bus. the first stop, 7 people get on. the next stop, double get on and 3 get off. next step, 2 get off and the square root of those that remain get on. next stop, 3/4 extra get on. of those on the buss currently, double of 1/5th get off. next stop, the negative of the square root get on and double that step off. at the final stop before the exit, for every person on the bus with number n, n+1 get on.

question: how old is the busdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    if a equals b, then a - b = 0. something * 0 = 0. that's the math problem.

my turn.

if a rooster lays 11 eggs and the farmer took 5, and another rooster lays 14 eggs, but 5 are rotten, how many eggs are left?

you are driving a bus. the first stop, 7 people get on. the next stop, double get on and 3 get off. next step, 2 get off and the square root of those that remain get on. next stop, 3/4 extra get on. of those on the buss currently, double of 1/5th get off. next stop, the negative of the square root get on and double that step off. at the final stop before the exit, for every person on the bus with number n, n+1 get on.

More to the point, that you're dividing by 0 when you cancel. 0=0 is valid, but 2=1 at the end is not =)

Regarding the bus riddle, I read your question before the wall of text and hence stopped reading there =-p

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    "P versus NP: The question is whether, for all problems for which a computer can verify a given solution quickly in polynomial time, it can also find that solution quickly. The former describes the class of problems termed NP, whilst the latter describes P. The question is whether or not all problems in NP are also in P."
    You should also point out that whoever solves this problem will win 1 million US dollars and fame in the nerd herd ;P

0, roosters can't lay eggs

He/she/it is the age of whoever/whatever that reads the text :P
    Last edited by Spl4sh3r; 2011-05-29 at 07:33 PM.

1) Prove that a set contains the elements it contains.

2) Does a set containing all sets contain itself?

what about this one ? anyone can solve?

A telephone number of 9 digits abcdefghi is memorable if the initial sequence of four digits abcd is repeated in the final five digits sequence efghi. How many memorable numbers of 9 digits are there?

Everytime you whine, blizzard lags a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetrofi View Post
    theres just one big triangle =)

you are going to hotel with 2 friends.
    You read online that it costs 3000 gold for all 3 to set your hearthstones there.
    You go the the inn, and pay 3000 together.
    When you get outside, you see that theres a factiondiscount and that its only 2500 gold for 3 persons.
    You go inside and complain.
    The innkeeper decides to give you all back 100g, so essentially you all paid 900g, while he himself keeps 200g.

So, you 3 paid 900 each, for a total of 2700 and the innkeeper got 200. Wheres the missing 100 gold? Blizzard nerf? Ah cuts?
    theres nothign missing? the innkeeper got 2700 (2500+the 200 he kept), and teh friends got 100 each.. total 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdris View Post
    1) Prove that a set contains the elements it contains.

2) Does a set containing all sets contain itself?
    If i got the question right, the answer is yes :\
    Everytime you whine, blizzard lags a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Seys* View Post
    If i got the question right, the answer is yes :\
    (I assume you're referring to #2) It's actually quite a complicated question, and the "correct" answer depends on how you axiomatize set theory.

Not quite sure how to translate this to english but here we go:
    A half calf half, and one fourth (1/4) from it.
    and in swedish(yes, it sounds just as retarded in swedish as in english) if anyone cares for a better translation:
    En halv kalv halv, och en fjärdedel därifrån.

Quote Originally Posted by henern View Post
    Not quite sure how to translate this to english but here we go:
    A half calf half, and one fourth (1/4) from it.
    and in swedish(yes, it sounds just as retarded in swedish as in english) if anyone cares for a better translation:
    En halv kalv halv, och en fjärdedel därifrån.
    a half of half a calf, and one forth from it.. you get 1/16 calfs, or 3/16 depending owhat the question really is.
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2011-05-30 at 12:27 AM.

Two candles of luminosity (meaning brightness) x and y are separated by a distance z. Find the position of the dimmest spot between the candles.

Not really a puzzle, but it's stumped my old university's maths undergraduates for years now.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdream View Post
    Two candles of luminosity (meaning brightness) x and y are separated by a distance z. Find the position of the dimmest spot between the candles.

Not really a puzzle, but it's stumped my old university's maths undergraduates for years now.
    For x != y ? In which case I'll need an order relation.