Thread: building pc

building pc

Thinking of building a new pc in ~august, and need some help to pick parts... have a budget on about 1400-1500$ don't know if that would be enough tho, so need some help with this, because this is the first time i build my own...

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until August. AMD's new CPU platform called "BullDozer" is coming out in late June/July. That's going to cause a lot of price repercussions. By then, new hardware and whatnot will be out, and prices will be insanely different than what they were now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Wait until August. AMD's new CPU platform called "BullDozer" is coming out in late June/July. That's going to cause a lot of price repercussions. By then, new hardware and whatnot will be out, and prices will be insanely different than what they were now.

Hmm... okay, but what if i'm not going to build one, was looking at http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10452 and it looks ok, not sure tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by imtehrogue View Post
    Hmm... okay, but what if i'm not going to build one, was looking at http://www.komplett.no/k/ci.aspx?sku=10452 and it looks ok, not sure tho.
    You can definitely make a better computer for cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You can definitely make a better computer for cheaper.
    Okay... gonna wait untill august then and see what i can get. Thanks

well.. Bulldozer is supposed to come around August and Ivy Bridge in Q4. Depends how good / bad comp you got now. If its pretty decent you can wait till Q4 and see what intel can offer with Ivy Bridge or AMD with Bulldozer, and for 1400$~ you can build very good comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    well.. Bulldozer is supposed to come around August and Ivy Bridge in Q4. Depends how good / bad comp you got now. If its pretty decent you can wait till Q4 and see what intel can offer with Ivy Bridge or AMD with Bulldozer, and for 1400$~ you can build very good comp.

I have a laptop, it works fine, but overheats even with a cooler, so i'm going to build one.

Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    True, if you pick parts and build it you can get a sweet gaming computer for that price, but the prices here in Norway are a little higher than in the US (I have compared with new-egg US before, big differences were found).

But OP if I were you I would look at the alternatives in set-ups like that from Komplett. Some of the parts they put in there is not "best bang for buck" in any way, and definitely not top sellers. But you can choose to customize it and then good alternatives pop up and you can land at almost the same price. Also go to Asus or Nvidia to find the list of certified PSU brands, a cheap PSU is likely to not bring the power it promises.

Also maybe consider to go with an AMD chipset. Don't want to start a flamewar here, but for gaming only AMD gives you a lot more performance per dollar/gbp/nok /whatever. This is my opinion tho, based on my own setups and benchmarks/comparisons online. For other heavy applications Intel seems supreme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    True, if you pick parts and build it you can get a sweet gaming computer for that price, but the prices here in Norway are a little higher than in the US (I have compared with new-egg US before, big differences were found).

But OP if I were you I would look at the alternatives in set-ups like that from Komplett. Some of the parts they put in there is not "best bang for buck" in any way, and definitely not top sellers. But you can choose to customize it and then good alternatives pop up and you can land at almost the same price. Also go to Asus or Nvidia to find the list of certified PSU brands, a cheap PSU is likely to not bring the power it promises.

Also maybe consider to go with an AMD chipset. Don't want to start a flamewar here, but for gaming only AMD gives you a lot more performance per dollar/gbp/nok /whatever. This is my opinion tho, based on my own setups and benchmarks/comparisons online. For other heavy applications Intel seems supreme.
    Your own setups and benchmarks are wrong. (Not trying to start a flamewar.)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...formance-Cores
    Also, Asus isn't a GPU manufacturer, it's AMD and Nvidia.

What about this one? a friend helped me pick parts.

Chassi: Fractal Design Define XL black pearl
    Corsair TX 650W PSU
    Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE
    Processor: Intel core i5 Quad i5-2500K
    RAM: Kingston ValueR DDR3 2GB
    graph: ZOTAC Geoforce GTX 460 1 GB AMPI
    Harddrive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB

Anything that should be upgraded?
    Last edited by imtehrogue; 2011-05-30 at 07:04 PM.