Like/dislike button for forum posts

Hey,

I like to read occasional forum posts and comments, and every once in a while I come across a response or suggestion that I really like. When I see posts like those I want the people who wrote them to know that I like what they said. The official WoW forums have this functionality and i must say that i enjoy it quite a lot.
    Anyway, I love these forums and the general atmosphere.
    - Teh R
    i like my steak to say "moo" when i put my fork in it.
    GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
    Originally Posted by Pope http://http://www.mmo-champion.com/t...thoughts/page2
    Arthas: "Hahahaha, I'm the Lich King, and I gathered Millions of Minions on the Glacier"
    Players: "Yeah, We're just gonna fly over them. trollface.jpg"

Deleted
    We had this feature on one of my nation's forums. People ended up disliking a post if they didn't like the person or his/her tastes.

Deleted
    I smell Reddit..

Deleted
    It doesn't really work on a forum like this I think. For example if I don't like a deathknight I could thumb down every deathknight posting anything.

Deleted
    im an admin on a ~15k users gaming community.a drop in the ocean compared to mmo-c but...
    after one month of this we removed it.. put it back in after a while.after another week we restricted the option to moderators(and higher) only.

people will thumbs up their 'friends' and thumbs down people they don't like, regardless of what they post.

Just have a like button. Having a dislike is more easily abused. if you don't like someone's post don't like it lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you could have you only can like or dislike a post two times a day or some kind of limit.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjomolf View Post
    I smell Reddit..
    Reddit's system is great, user driven moderation ftw.

That being said I don't think a lot of people on this forum are mature enough for it...
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the link/dislike button is a very good idea for a linear based forum. If one post get's disliked to oblivion and it auto hides the post, the conversation starts to get out of whack as parts of it get hidden as spam. Like/Dislike buttons really shine on forums that are threaded.

Just so theres no confusion:

Linear:
    Code:
    Parent Thread
    Threaded:
    Code:
    Parent Thread
    If you a post in a linear thread get's hidden then parts of the conversation are missing, if a thread in the threaded one gets hidden then all replies to out are also hidden and the conversation can carry on in another thread.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-05-30 at 01:17 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    This is something we'd like to implement in some form or other (whether it's with like and dislike buttons or with only like buttons or some other form); we'd just like to make sure however we implement it works well for our particular community.

In short, it's possible, but no ETA currently.

15+ Year Old Account
    But then when I say how Blizz loves the Horde I'll get disliked

Personally I'm not sure we need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind seeing a like button; just so someone can show their agreement. But, similar to Facebook, there shouldn't be a dislike button; it leads to further arguments. But neither the like or dislike is necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking about it these days. It can be a cool feature but as already stated, can bring some problems.
    Nothing that cant be worked tho. THUMBS UP IF YOU WANT THUMBS

I wouldn't mind a karma feature, or something similar to what stack overflow uses. Every time you down vote a post you lose like 2 rep points, and you can't start voting until you have at least x number of reputation points, etc. A decent system with lots of checks and balances to stop abuse
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Please no dislike button, at least. I'd hate to feel like I need to go back through some folks' entire posting history downvoting almost everything they've ever said.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really do not see the reason having a like button without a dislike. In the real world people do not like certain stuff. You can not simply have a like button button with out the opposite opposition. Just make it either limited kinda like karma or make it were it has no consequence about bing liked or disliked. Perhaps just making the post green or red for like and dislike respectively.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Possibly a karma system, scaling the amount of karma "points" with the karma level of the user themselves.
    Example:
    Code:
    Karma level             Positive                          Negative
    1-15                      1                                   0
    16-30                     2                                   0
    31-70                     3                                   0
    71-99                     4                                   0
    100-x                     5                                   2
    etc. You see where I'm going.
    Going to put this in here again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    But then when I say how Blizz loves the Horde I'll get disliked

Personally I'm not sure we need it.
    Considering how moderated this site is, it's probably not necessary. But if it were, I'd assume moderators couldn't be liked/disliked