Got some computer upgrade questions

Hey there, I've been contemplating upgrading my computer but I can't decide on a few things.

First, here's my current specs (to the best of my memory, not in front of my PC atm).

CPU - Core 2 Due E8400 3.0GHz
    Motherboard - EVGA 750i FTW
    RAM - G.SKILL 4x2GB (8GB total) DDR2-800
    Hard Drive(s) - 1 G.SKILL 64GB SSD and 1 500GB HDD (forget manufacturer).
    GPU - XFX GeForce GTS 250 738MHZ 512MB 2.2GHZ DDR3
    Power Supply - Corsair 750W
    Case - Antec Nine Hundred

I'm mainly looking for 2 things:

1) Is it worth upgrading my PC? And if so...

2) What would would be some good upgrades to get? I'm looking to do some in-game video recording and my planned budget is about $600-$800.

Note: I already have a large tower purchased and ready to use, seeing as the Antec Nine Hundred is a mid tower and is probably going to be WAY too small now.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2011-05-30 at 04:49 AM.

Your case is fine.
    Keep the case, PSU, Hard Drive, and SSD. Purchase new CPU, MOBO, RAM. With your budget I'd recommend and i5 2500k + Z68 mobo, 4 or 8 gb ram, and a gtx 560 ti.

15+ Year Old Account
    GPU - Upgrading GPU is a possibility, you wont have any compatibility issues with the PCI-e 16x slots. However, it will be bottlenecked by the rest of your system.

MOBO/CPU/RAM - Upgrading ram/cpu to something worthwile requires a new mobo. So if youre gona upgrade one of the 3 you have no choice but to upgrade all 3.

So it will be more of new build with some parts salvaged. As opposed to upgrade the system as you will be requires to upgrada all the key components.

What i suggest:
    MOBO - Asus p8p67 pro
    CPU - i5-2500k 3.3 GHZ
    RAM - G.SKILL ripjaws 1600MHZ, 8-8-8-24, 1,5V. 2x2GB. Feel free to get 4x2GB or 2x4 GB if you prefer 8GB. But 2x4GB would be the best choice.
    GPU - GTX560ti 1GB GDDR5 Upgrading to a GTX570 will cost you another 100$.

= 706.96 USD
    Or
    = 801.96 with a GTX570

You will also require a new CPU cooler with the upgrade to a new socket if you are going to OC. But if money is short atm, it can wait.
    And do note that a large cooler will most likely block one RAM slot. So you will not be able to place tall Ram chips closest to the CPU.
    Last edited by kailtas; 2011-05-30 at 05:25 AM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

I'd go with a Radeon 6950 2gb card over the gtx 560ti. Same price, similar performance, more RAM, uses less power. Plus, you can unlock the Radeon 6950 2gb to a full 6970 with a firmware tweak.

Ya I figured that if anything I'd have to replace the core components (CPU/MOBO/RAM) seeing as those are USUALLY the reason(s) why upgrading can be costly.

Glad to see my budget was pretty much in the right ballpark. Though, assuming I wanted to skimp money a little bit, could I get away with a Geforce 460?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well yes a GTX 460 is a good choice for a GPU. You can play most games on pretty high graphics if you are willing to turn down the most graphic intensive settings. Settings like shadows and Anti-aliasing.

But for WOW it will be no problems whatsoever.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Well yes a GTX 460 is a good choice for a GPU. You can play most games on pretty high graphics if you are willing to turn down the most graphic intensive settings. Settings like shadows and Anti-aliasing.

But for WOW it will be no problems whatsoever.
    That's not too different than what I'm doing now with my GTS 250 atm. Granted I don't notice any real difference on anything above 2x AA and max Shadows on WoW have virtually no change either. I would assume then that I'd get a boost in FPS in raids and better video recording capabilities then?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    That's not too different than what I'm doing now with my GTS 250 atm. Granted I don't notice any real difference on anything above 2x AA and max Shadows on WoW have virtually no change either. I would assume then that I'd get a boost in FPS in raids and better video recording capabilities then?
    Well forgive my knowledge on GPUs

A GTX 460 is an upgrade over your current GTS 250. And you will experience an increase in FPS.

Im just having a hard time making an example :S

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Well forgive my knowledge on GPUs

A GTX 460 is an upgrade over your current GTS 250. And you will experience an increase in FPS.

Im just having a hard time making an example :S
    Totally understandable, seeing as GPU performance is not the only factor in what settings you can use.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Your biggest boost in video recording will not come from the GPU, but the CPU - I am in the midst of doing a VERY similar upgrade, and as soon as my parts arrive Tuesday I'll be building it - granted, I only bumped up to an i3 for now, I'm positive I will still see a large FPS bump - I'm also upgrading from a 250 to a superclocked 460.