Surge of Light vs Darkness

Hi,

Link to me build: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

As you can see i have taken Surge of Light instead of Darkness, firstly so far i have loved healing with Surge of Light the free Flash Heals are pretty handy but last night had no shammy/spriest/boomkin thus i was lacking quite a bit of haste, other than that i started looking at logs and the extremely low proc rate of surge of light.

Option 1: Drop Surge of Light and put two points in Darkness (if i keep the haste i currently have on gear i think with the 5% buff i could reach 2 second cast time GH's - which sounds delicious).

Option 2: Drop Surge of Light and put two points in Darkness and reforge out of haste where i haven't already - which would leave me more or less where i am now except ill gain some crit/mast depending what i reforge.

Atm i am leaning more towards option 1, opinions please?

Btw i only heal in 10 man encounters thus haste is pretty handy.

Deleted
    Surge of light is good, mabe reforge out of crit instead fo haste? Also it will make a massive difference if you can get your self the healing parts instead of dps gear

I assume you are referring to shoulders as Dagger is pretty good for disc as far as i know (At least until i can get that spir mace - that is obviously preferable), anyway the shoulders were a free drop i got them or they were DE'd and they were far better than what i had so thus i'm wearing them.

So in your opinion keep build intact? Btw i did not say i had any problem healing i just mentioned that i was noticing a low proc rate and the 2% from darkness might be a more solid stat as its not proc based.

I have been thinking of getting rid of some crit starting with gems but think it would be best to go for mastery or haste in its place? I feel i might be lacking some mastery whereas as long as i have 5% haste buff i am happy with my current haste.

I have exact same talent build, and have been debating the exact same thing lately, surge of light makes the game more fun, use that the difference will be minor at best.

and if your like me and like to use plain old heal to keep grace 3 stacked on tank the whole time surge of light will proc more often.

Idd i do but only on Fights that are not to intense on the tanks as i am mainly assigned to tanks, once i get 4p T11 i doubt i will use heal at all. I find penance a much more efficient and powerful way of keeping grace up, with 4p T11 there will obviously be no competition.

Thanks for the replies guys, i think i will defo keep Surge of Light its fun but also useful at times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxickbunny View Post
    Idd i do but only on Fights that are not to intense on the tanks as i am mainly assigned to tanks
    as a tank healer you'll benefit greatly from haste (darkness), it's also more reliable than the rng based sol proc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surge of Light is one of those talents you think you love until you drop it. Then you realize you don't miss it at all.

At least, that's been my experience.

--

Edit: That's for Disc, ofc. As Holy you really have nowhere better to put the points anyway, so having free Flashes pop up doesn't hurt. But as Disc, where your free points come at a real premium, it's quite missable.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2011-05-31 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I like it for Holy due to Serendipity (even if I can't heal anything with the Flash Heal I still get a stack), but for Disc I don't really see the point. I'd much rather have Darkness or the reduced Shadowfiend cooldown.

Ok lets clean this up quickly. Haste is subpar period for a disc priest it can be argued for sniping as holy but not as disc. Now Desperate prayer can be a life saver its basically a personal lay on hands, No priest should go w/o it still in a disc spec your not choosing haste and you shouldnt be reforging crit.
    Looking at your armory not only are you gimping your PWS but your DA with such low mastery. Veiled Shadows should be 2/2 for disc and in most cases 2/2 for holy aswell. More over unless your ilvl 372 and can give up a ton of through put haste isnt even great for holy. To even be worthwhile you need to gem every slot 40haste.

In all use a cookie cutter spec for disc and make your prayer of healing worthwhile w/ a serious DA on the end of each cast.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%A8/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Ok lets clean this up quickly. Haste is subpar period for a disc priest it can be argued for sniping as holy but not as disc. Now Desperate prayer can be a life saver its basically a personal lay on hands, No priest should go w/o it still in a disc spec your not choosing haste and you shouldnt be reforging crit.
    Looking at your armory not only are you gimping your PWS but your DA with such low mastery. Veiled Shadows should be 2/2 for disc and in most cases 2/2 for holy aswell. More over unless your ilvl 372 and can give up a ton of through put haste isnt even great for holy. To even be worthwhile you need to gem every slot 40haste.

In all use a cookie cutter spec for disc and make your prayer of healing worthwhile w/ a serious DA on the end of each cast.

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/shadowmoon/milkshak%C3%A8/advanced
    Milkshake, you fail to realize that there's more to disc than raid bubble spamming aka tank healing and that's where haste becomes valuable (and the OP stated that he's mostly assigned to tank healing). Whether you pick Veiled Shadows is a very individual decision, depending on your playstyle and raid comp. Don't sell optional points as mandatory and don't reduce disc to bubble spamming. Cleaned that up for you.
    Last edited by mmoce6438d9a93; 2011-05-31 at 10:26 AM.

Wont take Vieled Shadow's, got no real mana issues.

If i were to take Darkness instead of Surge of Light i would reforge some of the haste i have not already and make sure i am back on about 7% haste without the 5% buff, as 12% in raids gives me 2.1 Second cast time on GH (Which i like), anyway by doing the afore mentioned i would be able to gain some mast/crit from the reforges as i feel i am lacking in both those stats (Also previously mentioned). Thus nothing to clean up i simply asked for opinions, mathematically Darkness probably equates to more throughput unless you could guarantee a certain amount of SoL procs which only exists in dream land. The only reason i like SoL is because it honestly has made the difference once or twice of keeping the tank up, although i must admit that was earlier on in cata and at lower gear levels that is why i am questioning my current build.

Anyway thanks a mil for all your help.

Doesent look like you have really reforged to haste? Mastery is great but imho you would be better taking haste untill at least 12.5% and then look at and asses your other options .

Lets not start ANOTHER 12.5% haste discussion please. Read the dang stickies on that.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ORE-POSTING%29

Secondly Veiled shadows is almost 100% useless on most fights, most fights arnt even long enough for you to get a 2nd SF cd even with the talent (you also don't blow SF at the start of the fight anyway more like 2-3 min into a fight).

Third Surge vs Darkness is purely choice, if you are tank healing most of the time you (or switch from raid to tank healing [nefarian]) will find surge to be a better option, but while raid healing you will find yourself not using flash/heal/gheal enough for surge to make any use. It comes down 100% about your role in a raid.

Lastly, Crit, mastery, and haste are optimal options for a Disc priest. We are probably the only class/spec that values all 3 secondary stats so high. It just comes down to play style and preference on what you decide (and role).
    Last edited by zito; 2011-05-31 at 01:25 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Zito pretty much sums up my exact thoughts, really just wanted to know what others are using etc.