Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    If you're referring to what SOE did with SWG then that's hardly the case here. Blizzard would have to provide people with level capped and legendary geared characters at the start screen in order to be equivalent to the monstrosity that SOE created when they 'revised' SWG.
    And remove Locks, Shaman... and let's choose... Druids, regardless of how long you had been playing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Deleted
    it would be nice to do that but it seems a tad to costly to implement...cheaper version would be to spam trade channel untill you get enough ppl for the old raid u want to do :P

Quote Originally Posted by mcnoobshly View Post
    it would be nice to do that but it seems a tad to costly to implement...cheaper version would be to spam trade channel untill you get enough ppl for the old raid u want to do :P
    True that.

You don't need to get Blizzard to make you a special server. Just get the people who actually want to play that way to re-roll on a sever, lock XP at 60, and classic raid your eyes out.

But don't be surprised when most of the people don't get past level 45, and a month or so in you can't put together enough people to raid.

Unless you really want the whole vanilla experience, where Hurricane, Swiftshifting, and Innervate were 31 point talents... Not to mention the hunter 31 point. Have fun with that, nobody did in vanilla, and I don't think any amount of rose tinting will fix that.
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    True that.

You don't need to get Blizzard to make you a special server. Just get the people who actually want to play that way to re-roll on a sever, lock XP at 60, and classic raid your eyes out.

But don't be surprised when most of the people don't get past level 45, and a month or so in you can't put together enough people to raid.

Unless you really want the whole vanilla experience, where Hurricane, Swiftshifting, and Innervate were 31 point talents... Not to mention the hunter 31 point. Have fun with that, nobody did in vanilla, and I don't think any amount of rose tinting will fix that.
    If you level to 60 in current servers, you'll miss out on cool events such as the opening of AQ, all of Naxxramas, and all of the world bosses.

The problems I think Blizzard has with opening Vanilla servers is that it would make little sense lore-wise, and it would also eventually become boring since there's only a limited amount of updates they can do to it (assuming they start from where Vanilla started). There's also the problem with what point in the game the servers should be at. The very start of Vanilla? The very end? Either way you'd miss out on a lot, and if they put it in an updating loop (start at start, restart again once it reaches the end) that would get ridiculous too.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    If you level to 60 in current servers, you'll miss out on cool events such as the opening of AQ, all of Naxxramas, and all of the world bosses.
    Then, save for the world bosses, it really would be like vanilla, considering 1 person per server got to be Scarab Lord, and such a small population of people saw the inside of Naxx it may as well have never existed.

Deleted
    Because it's hard enough having to balance the current content without having to worry about balancing 3 other expansion's content

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You missed the AQ event during classic, because the servers crashed anyhow.
    You missed Naxx in Classic because
    - most people couldn't get geared for it in time
    - the ones who got geared were flattened by the sheer hardness of it.
    I won't argue that Naxx was overtuned, but I don't really know much, as I only ever killed one boss in there at level 60. I didn't miss the AQ opening though, and as much as I wanted the black scarab mount, it hardly took much coolness away from the event itself.
    If I was to argue FOR a Vanilla server, I'd use the Naxx presence over "level to 60 and raid till your heart's content" on current servers, since Naxx will be the only thing keeping people there. It may be too hard for weaker souls, but it's something you can keep trying and wiping on and never faceroll it (who enjoys that anyway? I usually pass my spot on farm raids), therefore sustaining the challenge in the game.

That being said, I did play in Vanilla, and I am therefore aware of what kind of game it was. All in all, I am NOT arguing FOR bringing back that time.

* They would not attempt to fix any bugs.
    * The GMs would be missing some valuable tools they have been granted in later expansions, making their life harder.
    * Your computer would have to have a 2nd set of game data.
    * The servers would have to be maintained separately from the other realms due to the different software.
    * The graphics would be dated.
    * The populations would be low and fickle.
    * New players without the full expansion set would be tempted to play on one of these servers. They would have a poor WoW experience because of the above and be less likely to continue their subs and buy the other expansions.

+ A few players would enjoy it.
    + People will notice that the game is actually better than it used to be.
    + They would profit from people wanting to char transfer to the next level expansion.

It just doesn't make sense for them to do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Ah okay. Yeah..then it just is like this: Us veterans have all the memories, good and bad...and new players miss out on them. Too bad for them. Or is it? Imagine somebody who started in LK going back to a 1.8 Classic server with Horde having no paladins...with 2 less races and no DKs. Different working spells and talents. Pidgeonholed classes.

Wonder if they would like it and even stay.
    Casters having essentially no DPS stats on early gear, AoE spells (among other things) not scaling for many, one single tank class, Druids/Shamans/Priests/Paladins were essentially forced to be healers in PvE due to their tiers, AV taking hours, finding groups for a single instance taking a very long time, Rogues, Shamans, 40-man raids (it WAS a pain, guys, don't tell yourselves differently).. The list goes on.

>One single tank class.
    What are you talking about? WoW Vanilla didn't have tanks.
    It had warriors.

Deleted
    Opening new servers for a small percentage of the gamebase doesn't sound like a prudent decision. Besides, everyone would get bored pretty quickly, look at the complaining at the end of WotLK when there apparently wasn't enough content. This would be the same... only forever.

Deleted
    Because you'd have nothing to look forward to ? nothing new ever.... People would only start complaining about why the TBC realms aren't getting updated and so forth so it'd basically be the same as it is now(complaining wise).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    I would love to try the vanilla content the way it was designed.
    Warriors were only tanks. Priests were only good healers (and must be dwarfs or undead because fear ward/will of fors).
    Raids could "be done by 25 "active" people" where rest consisted of: being afk, getting "carried", having no freaking clue what to do, paladin blessing 40 people (whos specced to 31 points in ret cos thats kings), paladin being out of combat to ress, autoshot hunter(s), dead priest(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    You can't nerf skill, either.

Yes, 6 years ago when we were all still learning, WoW was hard. Now we have 6 years of experience. Of course it feels easier. There is little doubt the mechanics are more complex now, they just feel easier because we are veterans now, instead of newbs.
    "Vanilla was like amateur childs league of football. No one knew what to do, how to deal damage effectively, there was no guides or minmax simulation crafts and there was one kid who were awesome at everything in their eyes. Back then it was great compared to other competitions, now it wouldnt work out."

Also they would need to balance the game and those servers too.
    Why make vanilla server and would abandon them with no customer support? If one class was OP in vanilla everyone would forever play that class there because theres no patches to balance them there. I mean if it really has to be "true vanilla server" they they cant really start making huge balance changes, now can they? Make any other spec than sbolt spam spec viable? No freaking way man.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you didn't raid in vanilla then you don't want to know how it was. People that started in Wrath or even BC could not imagine the way raids used to be.

Deleted
    Every time I see a thread like this, it always makes me think of the Everquest "Progression Servers"; in which the new server is opened with no expansions added, and then every so often (SOE did it every month or so, but that's because EQ has such a huge number of expansions) an expansion's content was "added".

On second thoughts, that's a silly idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    This conversation has been had before.. alot.

We don't need another thread on it and Blizzard has said there's no point to it.

[Locked]