Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In other words, "I was less interesting and fun than video games so my husband spent all his time playing them rather than spending time with me, and rather than try and be more fun and engaging so he'd want to spend time with me, I decided to just make ultimatums and then ragequit when I didn't get my way."

The problem here is that Jessica was an immature, spoiled little princess who couldn't understand why her husband's world didn't naturally revolve around her.

I'm not saying game addiction doesn't happen; anything pleasurable can be addictive. But actual addiction is exceedingly rare. Choosing to game instead of spend time with your wife doesn't mean you're addicted, it means your wife is more boring than Call of Duty.
    yo sir can has all teh internetz. this boys and girls is the truth lol. honey im sorry i didnt want to go shopping for throw pillows today now can i go play zombies with the guys from work?

babe im almost done with this heroic the dishes will be there in 10 mins wont they? the garbage too i promise. if they sprout legs and make a b line for me i will delete wow ok babe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of these posts make me understand fully why more and more women are CHOOSING to be alone and never marry . I think it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Oh look, a website that handles e-divorce has gamers that use it. WHAT A SURPRISE! The title of the article is so misleading it's practically lying.
    Yeah, I wouldn't get too excited about a "study" performed by an internet poll.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    babe im almost done with this heroic the dishes will be there in 10 mins wont they? the garbage too i promise. if they sprout legs and make a b line for me i will delete wow ok babe.
    Actually, my boyfriend has been getting a bit snippy with me lately about "always being in a dungeon"; I think he waits until I get into a dungeon to start demanding attention. :-P He's half-right though, I could stand to spend more time in meat-space.
    Last edited by Auloria; 2011-05-31 at 05:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    Some of these posts make me understand fully why more and more women are CHOOSING to be alone and never marry . I think it's a step in the right direction.
    And nothing of value was lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    Hm, 8 hours a day playing and also on their wedding aniversary. Does not sound like she was the one causing problems. I hope you was only joking.
    "up to" 8 hours a day, which means that was probably only on weekends when there was no other events he had to take part in.

How many guys spend up to 8 hours watching sports on days like Superbowl Sunday? Is that an addiction?

As for the anniversary; they had plans for the weekend to celebrate the anniversary. The issue is she wanted their planned anniversary celebration AND something special on the actual date for some reason. It says this right in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Katt
    Guys are choosing to never marry, too. The issue is one that's related to other things like the women who want their wedding to be based around making them a princess, and never spare a thought for their husband's desires on that day. See almost every wedding dress show on television for examples. I've seen women there demanding more extravagant and expensive gowns than Kate Middleton wore, so they're literally more demanding than an actual princess.

If you expect your SO to give things up, the first thing you should ask yourself is what have you given up for their benefit? If you haven't sacrificed anything, it's entirely unfair to ask that they do so.

I am by no means saying all, or even most, women are like this, but there's this weird undercurrent in Western society that supports it. And it causes more problems than anything else, including 95% of the claims of "addiction" to things like gaming; the women who're losing their men to things like this just aren't willing to admit that they're boring and demanding and he'd rather enjoy himself than deal with it. A lot of women never have this issue, because they're not insane, and they're also fun to be around, so it's easy for them to provide an alternative to gaming that their boyfriend will jump at.
    Last edited by Endus; 2011-05-31 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    And nothing of value was lost.
    EXACTLY. Glad we agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some people here are confusing women who throw a fit and get hysterical at the tiniest little thing with the poor women/men who get understandably upset when their partner DOES play for 8 hours a day and flat out refuses to do anything else, like spending a little time with them on special days like anniversaries/etc.

Somebody wanting to spend time with the person they love does NOT make them a "spoilt little princess", it makes them human.

Whether this article is accurate or not, don't throw them all in the same boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

Did anyone else notice that the 21 year wife is 24 years old?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ths-challenge/

Here's somewhere that actually looks into these claims that game related divorce is actually increasing. Look at the figures.

Deleted
    normal day: get up at 06.00.
    get ready and take car to work at 7.45.
    work for eight hours until 16.
    get home/buy groceries for half an hour.
    do whatever the fuck you want at 16.30, OH WAIT, wife quality time.

this is usually where things either take a turn for the better or the worse. either you live in a NORMAL relationship where you do not have to actually spend time with your wife, but can use that time for your hobbies, i.e cod, wow etc. remember, she has hobbies too! or you're doing a couple thing, which means, no wow, no cod. or you live in a very weird relationship where you aren't allowed to have hobbies and whatnot.

but then again, playing cod and/or wow for 8 hours per day means that you're unemployed and then you should REALLY stop playing wow and go get a job.

Deleted
    According to a press release issued by Divorce Online, an examination of 200 unreasonable behavior petitions filed by women using its service between January - April of this year found that 15 percent complained that their husbands were happier playing video games than they were paying attention to them. They called their "gaming addiction" an unreasonable behavior that lead to the divorce they were seeking.
    ... According to a press release issued by Africa Online 100% of the world population is dying from starvation...
    or
    ... an examination of 2 unreasonable behavior petitions filed by women using its service between January - April of this year found that 50% of divorces is caused by their husband being gay...
    or
    ... 15% of men complained they prefer a Happy Meal over a homecooked dinner by their spouses => 15% of women can't cook...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpet View Post
    I think some people here are confusing women who throw a fit and get hysterical at the tiniest little thing with the poor women/men who get understandably upset when their partner DOES play for 8 hours a day and flat out refuses to do anything else, like spending a little time with them on special days like anniversaries/etc.

Somebody wanting to spend time with the person they love does NOT make them a "spoilt little princess", it makes them human.

While I'm not suggesting otherwise, I'm sure many of us gentlemen have also experienced the, "if you don't call me 16 times a day while you're working, you're fucking my sister" chick too. And as for the video games - oh man. You're fucking everyone on those.

That wasn't my experience, but a friend of mine - man.
    And he's still with her. Stupid kid.

As for me - after 8 years, some people get to the point where you just want them to go away.
    There's a reason men who've been with a woman for a lengthy period of time call her "the room mate"; because when it boils down to it, that's what it really is at heart. Someone to split the bills with; and occasionally you'll catch hell from them for leaving dishes in the bathroom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    While I'm not suggesting otherwise, I'm sure many of us gentlemen have also experienced the, "if you don't call me 16 times a day while you're working, you're fucking my sister" chick too. And as for the video games - oh man. You're fucking everyone on those.

That wasn't my experience, but a friend of mine - man.
    And he's still with her. Stupid kid.

As for me - after 8 years, some people get to the point where you just want them to go away.
    There's a reason men who've been with a woman for a lengthy period of time call her "the room mate"; because when it boils down to it, that's what it really is at heart. Someone to split the bills with; and occasionally you'll catch hell from them for leaving dishes in the bathroom.
    Oh I know there's some crazy women out there, like the one who fell out with her partner for not buying her flowers (Get your own damn flowers I say, If I wanted flowers, I'd buy them myself) and the jealous paranoid chicks, but it pains me when I see blokes judge ALL women by those standards, like blokes hate it when women refer to all of them as arses.

And I could never stay with somebody I didn't love anymore. I hope I never experience the "room mate" issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Troll Druids turned into walking cannabis plants.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm by no means saying this is true of all, or even most, women. But it IS true for a specific subset of women. The same women who demand the $10,000 wedding dress even though their fiancee is renting a tux.

Look at the article for a second;

"It got so bad that he even organised to play on the day of our second wedding anniversary as we had decided to go out at the weekend instead."

Emphasis mine. They had anniversary plans, on the weekend. Her issue is that, despite them having plans to celebrate their anniversary, she ALSO wanted all his free time on the day itself. She wanted to celebrate their anniversary twice. And it's his fault that he thought one celebration event was enough.

Like I said; I've been through this. I stopped hanging out with my friends, because my ex-wife didn't want to lose time with me. I stopped gaming almost entirely, because she wanted my undivided attention if we were both around; I still played a little if she went out, but never when she was around. I gave up almost everything for her. And it wasn't enough. It wasn't because she loved me, it's because she was insecure and needed constant support. Even all that wasn't enough; she eventually started cheating on me, because she needed that ego boost. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, and why I filed for divorce, but all the other abusive crap I'd put up with in the name of love was definitely why I decided it wasn't worth fighting for any longer.

So yeah. I've been down this road. And I gave it up for my ex-wife. It was one of the early stages in the worst mistakes of my life. That's why I'm so vehement about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I know there's some crazy women out there, like the one who fell out with her partner for not buying her flowers (Get your own damn flowers, I say, If I wanted flowers, I'd buy the myself) and the jealous paranoid chicks, but it pains me when I see blokes judge ALL women by those standards, like blokes hate it when women refer to all of them as arses.

And I could never stay with somebody I didn't love anymore. I hope I never experience the "room mate" issue.
    Everyone says that, but it sneaks up on you; it's insidious.
    You wake up one morning, and bam. It's reality.

Ending it was very liberating though, I will admit.

While that's a little excessive (unless it was raid night, obviously) prioritizing gaming over his anniversary probably was a bad move. you need to get an agreement with your partner that wife > games, except on raiding night.

I'm not sure if I'm wording this right. he does also need time to do dailies and such...

bah this is hard, good thing she's gone. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramore View Post
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ths-challenge/

Here's somewhere that actually looks into these claims that game related divorce is actually increasing. Look at the figures.
    /endofdiscussion

Now, as for the topic of video game addiction, I do have an opinion. I think adrenaline addiction is a legitimate addiction, and I think the underlying idea that people can become addicted to video games boils down to this. Playing video games can give you a huge shot of adrenaline, especially when competing against others. It can keep you awake long after you should be tired and asleep. Even when you are tired and groggy, jumping into a game can actually make you feel refreshed and sharper. This is a result of adrenaline triggering that fight or flight response in you.

Personally I think video game 'addiction' is a real addiction to the way games make you 'feel', and that feeling is a result of the release of adrenaline which makes you feel both more alert and allows you to continue playing long after your spouse thinks you should be bored.

Deleted
    What it says:
    all are 8 hours a day, every day........if this is the case fair enough, divorce going to happen

What is most likely the case(yes there will of course be exceptions)
    the bloke plays a FEW hours a day.

I imagine a good few cases are:
    Wife is busy most likely busy, he goes on WoW. Wife has done what she wanted man is still playing WoW. Wife is PISSED!!Repeat over a number of weeks/months

Also how many relationships have facebook destroyed?
    Whats worse someone physically cheating, or 'cheating' by playing the computer for a few hours

Replace "gaming" and "world of warcraft" with "reading" and "books" in the entire article and it just sounds silly, yet that is the argument being made. Gaming is a hobby, just like reading. You can't be addicted to reading. Its a distraction from reality; that's what hobbies are. If someone uses those hobbies to avoid a dysfunctional relationship the real problem is the relationship, not the game. The game is a symptom. This woman is doing the same thing as her ex-husband, she's focusing on the evil game rather than focusing on the real problem: their relationship and the fact that they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    I have no response to this, just wanted to say I love your avatar. When I was in my first band, we covered that song as loud, fast, and distorted as we possibly could.

Anyway, OT, I used to worry about this too, I went through an "addiction" phase with Guild Wars, and when I stopped playing that I picked up WoW and had the same concerns, but then seeing how easy it really was to unsubscribe and not give a shit, I got over it.

I never really believed in non-chemical addiction anyway, and this just reinforced that belief. Until video games are able to reach out of our computers/consoles and physically inject us with something every time we complete a dungeon, I firmly believe that it's possible to walk away from them at any time. Just takes a small amount of willpower.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for that paragraph.

---------- Post added 2011-05-31 at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post
    Also how many relationships have facebook destroyed?
    Many, in my experience. Not only from "OMG YOU POSTED ON HER WALL YOU AND I ARE *OVER*" to people spending literally all their free time on facebook instead of actually interacting with those people. My friend's mom basically stares at facebook all day and all night, waiting for someone to update so she can click "like". There's a reason I'm not on that site.