[Music] Should I feel bad?

Good evening guys,

I am a huge music fan and audiophile, and I like every single kind of music you could possible imagine, no exceptions. Yesterday, while going through my music collection, I stumbled across this song. In my opinion, it's a genre classic, and Bonecrusher & Busta Rhymes are legends. This is the kind of song I like to blast that shit while driving, and it's what I like.

BUT, the problem is...

I'm white. Yup, I'm your average white kid, I wear some American Eagle jeans, a plain white T-Shirt, some Adidas shoes, a bit of hair gel, I go to college, I drive a Hyundai Genesis, I work at a local Best Buy 3 days a week and sport some Oakleys when I'm at the beach.

When I blast that in my car, people look at me in a weird way. I feel awkward, to be honest. I'm definitely not racist as I enjoy music from every corner of the world, and I think it's a shame not everybody thinks like that. Sometimes, even when I wear my beats (the small earbud ones), people ask me why I wear those, since Dr Dre makes them. When I listen to some Pharrell or some Biggie Smalls, I get called out since I should listen to my "kind" of music, "white" music...

I can understand their point, but I don't know what to think. Nonetheless, I think 90's - early 2000's hip-hop rap scene made legends, and I believe in every single kind of music, no matter what race, gender or social class makes it. What do you guys think about that situation?
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-06-01 at 05:52 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell them to mind their own business.

You should never feel bad about something you like, as long as it's not something obviously wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Music is one of the most personal things in the world. Never feel bad about it.

It's unfortunate the world can't evolve.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I strongly believe that Tupac & Puff are just as much musical legends as Paul McCartney, Freddy Mercury, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dr Dre, Sepultura, or hell, even Beyonce. It's so hard for others to understand, it's unbelievable.

Deleted
    No. They should feel bad for telling you what to listen to.

10+ Year Old Account
    This post is hilarious. Hip Hop hasn't been something that was purely understood and appreciated strictly by black people in a really long time. In the early 90's gangsta rap was the most popular music in the US, and that's with everybody. With rap being all over the radio and stamped all over all aspects of pop culture, it's been slurped up and digested by white people for ages, especialy suburban white college kids in American Eagle, hair gel and Oakleys. I have no clue where you live that you would get weird looks for listening to rap. It makes so little sense that I almost have to wonder if you're trollin'

Jada aheeeeeeee

10+ Year Old Account
    Never feel bad about your music choice, at the end of the day your never going to see those people again...so who cares?

That songs pretty sweet. Im 18 and I drive a hyundai tiburon, completely riced out. I have a sound system so when I play my music, I play it loud and proud. I listen to the same kind of music ( and techno too, love that stuff ) but it's not much of a problem where im from.. canada of course.

Next time you're drivin by or walkin and listenin to music. Turn that shit UP. If someone talking racist to me, it's not acceptable. By no means am I huge or ripped, but I know the law and little loopholes that can get alot of people in shit if they try and do anythin to me. Sure using the law instead of your fists is considered "white", but when he got a criminal record or you slap up a law suit your going to be the one walking away with a smile, white, black or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by shaQ View Post
    Jada aheeeeeeee
    I love how I got an infraction for that just because most of you dont even know that is Jadakiss' laugh and completely on topic lol

10+ Year Old Account
    You should feel bad because you listen to crappy music, not because your a racist.

J/K Anyone who says you should listen to "your" music is the racist. Music has no color. Listen to what you enjoy and to hell with anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Mexican so I can get away with listening to anything, cept for my ridiculous amounts of music of Japanese origin (hell, blasting J-rock gets me weird looks when I go driving). Prejudice is amusing in that certain races are expected to listen to certain types of music (I despise most marriachi, corridos, reggaeton, etc.). I don't let it bother me though, like someone said, music is as personal as it gets. It shouldn't bother you whatsoever what other people think.

Blast and bump dat shit bro, and be proud of your choices in music! It's the proper way.

The worst part is it seems like you're out of high school yet you still wear high school tier clothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you should not feel bad, I listen to ALOT of Japanese rock/metal, am I Japanese? Hell no... I'm from freakin London, and as white as it's possible to be Do I feel bad for listening to Maximum the Hormone and JAMproject as loud as I possible can on my Ipod? FRAK no, why the hell should I? it's music, I appreciate fine music. Saying you shouldn't listen to Hip Hop/Rap because the artist is black is like saying you shouldn't listen to Mozart because he was Austrian, it's stupid, pointless and an insult to music in general.

hell could be worse, you could like Justin Bieber
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should always feel free to listen to what you want to. But, you state you "blast" your music, did you consider that might be part of the problem? If I am in my car with the windows rolled up and I have to turn up my stereo to hear it over yours, then yours is too loud and I might just give you a weird look. I wouldn't tell you to listen to "white" music but I might tell you to grow up.

Deleted
    Reminds me about the movie Crash when the black guy said to some guy he was getting a lift from that he liked country music so he thought he was taking the piss.