Motherboard with a bent pin

Morning all,

The motherboard is the "Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard"

I went to build my new computer last night only to find that i was getting a BSOD or the motherboard not recognising the memory in the 3rd slot, in the end i found that one of the centre CPU slot pins where bent in on its self. Using a very small flat head screw driver i managed to bend it back and things SEEM to be working, so no more BSOD and all the memory is being recognised. (I’ve installed thousands of CPU’s in my life so I imagine I would know if I did it. I’ve got a feeling it was done at the factory)

My question is am i better of returning the board or will it be ok with this fix?

Cheers all,

Toccs

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i bought the board in January and have only just managed to fit it due to buying computer parts bit by bit (Stupid idea in hindsight)
    Last edited by Toccs; 2011-06-01 at 08:49 AM.

Tbh i prob would of done the same thing, but i think you should of just waited and sent it back.

Typically things like that need to be caught early, since it's considered physical damage. ie if you had gotten it a month ago, most respectable places would deny the return. Within a few days at most however and it's up in the air and they would have to give the customer the benefit of the doubt.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    When I build my first machine when I was around 13 I bent a pin (oops) I bent it back and the OC lasted for 5 years, then I sold it and to my knowledge its still running. Should be fine as long as the connection is there.

However, for peace of mind sending it back for a replacement is a good option if the place you bought it from isn't PC focused. E.g. newegg/ebuyer/overlockers will test and check it over.

The pins on boards are really fragile these days. They're only rated for a handful of installations. I'd be worried.

Just called my supplier (OCUK) they won't replace the part as its been too long (5 Months) since i bought it so i'm stuck with the board, on that note am i right to assume that it will be fine with the bent pin as long as it works after my DIY?

Thanks for the replies btw.

Toccs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Just called my supplier (OCUK) they won't replace the part as its been too long (5 Months) since i bought it so i'm stuck with the board, on that note am i right to assume that it will be fine with the bent pin as long as it works after my DIY?

Thanks for the replies btw.

Toccs
    If its working now, chances are it'll keep working. its not like the CPU is a part which regularly has large shifts in positions. As long as you don't swap it out too often it should be fine.

OCUK are full of crap, they're meant to have a 1 year store-warranty but they try everything they can to wriggle out of it. I ended up returning a defective video card to them and they gave me the run-around for so long that I ended up having to get trading standards involved to get a refund (I originally asked for a replacement and they wouldn't offer me a like-for-like replacement, which is ridiculous).

As for the motherboard itself, it'll probably be fine as long as it's not erroring anymore. I've got a friend who had a pin break off one of his CPUs (CPU was pinned rather than the board itself) and he put the pin in the correct hole on the board and mounted the CPU above it properly and it still worked, even as one of the pins that was mandatory (not all pins are after all). There's no movement of the CPU once it's in, so as long as the connection is made, the chip will be absolutely fine. I wouldn't try reselling it at any point as that's the sort of thing people will kick off about, but for your own usage until you upgrade next time it should be fine.
    -Cazic, 85 Death Knight, Draenor-EU
    -Chaosweaver, 85 Warlock, Draenor-EU