More FIFA issues.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...961867,00.html - Article here.

Fifa's senior vice-president Julio Grondona denied England and the USA world cup votes due to political reasons. After the world cup nigeria's goverment got involved and nigeria got suspended by FIFA, yet now after all the allegations against FIFA this man comes out and says something like this, here's hoping he suffers as nigeria did for allowing politics to interfere in football (soccer).

15+ Year Old Account
    Wowzers. I knew FIFA was corrupt, but to withhold votes because of political ideals instead of being paid under the table surprises me. Well, not really. Everyone on Earth except the idiots that head FIFA knew that Qatar bought the World Cup. Why else would FIFA pass over countries like Australia, Japan and especially the US? The US offers the best infrastructure in the world for hosting a tournament like the world cup. Every major city in this country has at least one stadium that can host games. But no, instead FIFA award the WC to a country with practically no suitable facilities to host the WC or the boom in tourists and the games will be played in temperatures of roughly 150F on the field. Obviously Qatar lined the pockets of voters with money.

Eventually either FIFA is going to have its entire house cleaned by the supporting countries and new leaders put in place or I wouldn't be surprised to see football powerhouse countries like England, France, Spain, Italy, etc. break away and form a new football governing body.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like they would have won anyway, I don't see what the big deal is. Brazil will always be the best.

Deleted
    I think FIFA needs a complete overhaul with its leading members they are obviously corrupt but no one has the balls to stand up and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Everyone on Earth except the idiots that head FIFA knew that Qatar bought the World Cup. FIFA award the WC to a country with practically no suitable facilities to host the WC or the boom in tourists and the games will be played in temperatures of roughly 150F on the field. Obviously Qatar lined the pockets of voters with money.
    This.

everyone knows its corrupt, Qatar is the undeniable proof of that.

watching them try to deny it is just embarrassing

HAHAHAHA... still upset over those shitty little islands where almost nothing happens.
    It does get old, but whenever some major political problem arises in argentina they tend to divert attention away and onto the matter of the falklands.

It just feels like " that time of the month again " when the argentinans complain.
    Last edited by Zephre; 2011-06-01 at 03:41 PM.

The big problem with the whole thing is that basically everyone knew they were corrupt, but in order to remove the corrupt guy at the top you had to have the backing of the corrupt guys who's indiscretions he's been ignoring for years - you'd have to be an idiot to think they'd vote for that!

The FA were half-assed in their approach, they pointed out the problem without coming up with anywhere near an adequate solution, so their plan to oust Blatter was shot down before they even GOT to the stage of asking the afforementioned corrupt tools to vote on it. If they'd left it a few months and done the real hard work behind it (i.e. conclusive proof, a suitable presidential candidate onboard & better timing - no one will take it seriously since it's basically a "we didn't get the WC and we don't think it's fair" QQ right now) they could have easilly had a vote of no confidence in Blatter in 2012/13 and had him removed. Now it's true that would give them an extra couple of years to fill their boots with loot, but it would have been almost fail-safe and well, there's a fair chance that they could have got someone in there from The FA themselves, or at very worst someone from one of the Home Nations who would be vastly more sympathetic to their requests.

The problem comes when you look at the fact Russia & Qatar got the tournaments. Now Russia i can fully understand, between modern Russia & the USSR they have as proud a history in world football as anyone else - however it's also fair to say that post-communist Russia is also ruled by money, there's enough of it in the "wrong" places to make things happen. Now i'm not for one moment saying Russia bought the world cup, but the thought is out there!

Qatar on the other hand have precious little history in the game, i can't think of a less suitable candidate to host the World Cup - even the US had atleast a little bit of background in the game, the region will be well above what is considered an ideal climate for football & have never qualified for a World Cup finals! The only logic for putting the world cup there would be to put it in the Middle East for marketing purposes.

I understand that non-qualification can't be a barrier to hosting a world cup, but every host thus far has either played in a world cup or has considerable history within the game of football - that accounts for all (with arguable doubt for the first hosts Uruguay - who in turn won the thing!) with the exception of one. Stink much - yeah thought so!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...961867,00.html - Article here.

Fifa's senior vice-president Julio Grondona denied England and the USA world cup votes due to political reasons. After the world cup nigeria's goverment got involved and nigeria got suspended by FIFA, yet now after all the allegations against FIFA this man comes out and says something like this, here's hoping he suffers as nigeria did for allowing politics to interfere in football (soccer).

All i'm saying is... Australia should have got the world cup =p

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofBears View Post
    It's not like they would have won anyway, I don't see what the big deal is. Brazil will always be the best.

It's not about trying to make your country win, it's about sponsoring your country and building it's tourism. Use your brain, countries don't host WCs with their goal to win it, they do it to promote themselves.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofBears View Post
    Thats not the point though.

And to be fair, the last 10 world cups Brazil has only won it twice, and it's been ages since Brazil was the football nation it used to be.