Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Healing meters = better healer

So guy in my guild keeps arguing with me. In my opinion if I top the healing meter, that means I've healed the best in that fight. However, he doesnt agree and says healing meters are basically a stupid way to measure performance.

I mean I play a holy paladin, so if someone beat me in the meters, I'd say "well done, you healed that better"...but he doesnt seem to agree and says healing meters, within reason, are just a stupid way to measure performance.

Can anyone give me some arguments to show him he's wrong?

Cheers

You're wrong. Also, holy paladins have the biggest crutches to pad the meters while actually being useless. Congratulations.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Meters are broken by the fact that if you stop healing for 10 seconds, the meter will also stop measuring it.

If your assigned targets didnt die (out of their own stupidity), you were the best healer.

Also, not that big achievement when 30% of your heals are passive.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    It's not stupid as long as you know what it is actually showing. Healing is more about making decisions and healing damage in a smart and efficient way; to plan ahead and manage your mana has also become a greater part of healing since cata release.

Sure, the numbers on your meters show who did the most, but it doesn't show who choose to heal the tank instead of the raid when it was really needed, or who healed the raid to full before that next AoE.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    No but we can give you arguments to show you that you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    You're wrong. Also, holy paladins have the biggest crutches to pad the meters while actually being useless. Congratulations.
    This. You might be healing 12k HPS, but if you're pulling 40-50% overhealing, then you're really only pulling down about 6-7k HPS. Meters are a good indication of who is pulling their weight, but not the end-all-be-all measurement most folks think they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here: I healed an alt run last night on my H paladin, and we were on Chimaeron. I was in charge of keeping the tanks up, and even though I was topping the healing meter I occasionally let the tank die due to my ignorance of the encounter as a healer. If the boss is dead healing meters don't mean jack I've always said.

Deleted
    It very much depends on the fight.. On alak'ir heroic for example and some other healing intensive fights with no special gimics, if you have highest hps and your healing assignments didnt die (to healable abilities) you healed better than the ones with lower hps. On a fight like chimaeron hps doesnt really matter, we use an addon to mark caustic slimes, and if your mark stays alive you are doing it right.

But hps isn't everything, i usually look at overhealing as well and compare mana gained for healers of the same spec.

A good way to analyze the healing meters is in three steps imo.
    1, Your healing overall for that fight.
    2, Your hps.
    3, Did any of your assigned target die.

Your healing and hps means absolutely nothing if your targets keep on dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    This.

Just because you can cast unnecessarily huge overheals and have spillover Beacon heals on someone who doesn't really need it doesn't make you a better healer than the person who uses their heals intelligently and efficiently. The 'LOL BIG NUMBARZ = WIN LOL' mentality does not apply to healing.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

A healer's performance SHOULD NOT be measured by healing meters... [unless it's something blatantly obvious, like 2k hps vs others being 12+k... then that healer's clearly not pulling his weight].

Fights with not a lot of AoE damage, the tank healer will have more HPS than the raid healers... and vice versa, a lot of raid damage will have the raid healer having more HPS than the tank healer.

Then there's instances where there's not much healing needed... which would lower the HPS.

Then there's Discipline priests that use Shields and absorptions...

etc.

Bottom line - only idiots would judge a healer's performance based on their HPS... if anything, someone with ridiculously high overheals would be questionable...

Healing meters are important if you can interpret the information correctly.

Looking at who did the most healing to each individual person, such as what % you healed the tank and what % of healing the tank received that came from you vs healing you did to other raid members weighed against your assigned healing role (if any) etc.

But as far as "I healed 12k per second" that doesn't mean squat.

There are terrible, terrible, terrible druid healers who still insist on casting rejuv on absolutely everyone and using that as their ONLY heal. I see it a lot, and they usually top the meters because thats just the nature of HOTs but they aren't saving lives and if other healers weren't carrying the weight, people die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Konkussion View Post
    This. You might be healing 12k HPS, but if you're pulling 40-50% overhealing, then you're really only pulling down about 6-7k HPS. Meters are a good indication of who is pulling their weight, but not the end-all-be-all measurement most folks think they are.
    Except most meters dont usually show overhealing. There are obvious fights where it doesnt make much sence judging the meters, but mostly I think meters are showing the truth pretty good, even for healing.

You're a better healer if the people you're assigned to heal are all alive when the boss dies, not based on how many digits are in front of your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Beroin View Post
    This comes to mind, but your HPS could be 15k while another's is 10k but if the overhealing done is 70% and 20% respectively I would say they are a better healer (if your respective targets didn't die) since you did 4.5k HPS that mattered and they did 8k HPS that mattered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Healing is a team effort that produce a binary result. DPS meters matter because there's a continuum of results, ranging from a 5-minute kill to a 10-minute kill. Healing, on the other hand, is either sufficient or insufficient, so judging healing by meters is relatively useless. The meters don't tell you how the team did together.

The other big reason that healing meters don't really matter is that almost all healing gets done eventually before the target dies. Omnotron is a great example. When Magmatron's AoE goes off, there's very little need to heal the raid up "omg as fast as we can," but people do anyway. As a result, classes with faster heals can do better on the meters.

You should judge your healers by how well they handle their individual responsibilities. If healer A is assigned to group 1, you can measure the effectiveness of healer A by how often someone in group 1 dies.

By spreading out the individual responsibilities, you can pin down who is responsible for "healer error."

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing is one of those more touchy-feely things that are less about the meters and more about the class, encounter, etc.

"Topping the meters" is an indication that you put out a lot of healing. It does not mean you healed intelligently, efficiently, or frankly even well. What is your overhealing? How much mana did you use? Did anyone die? Were debuffs being cleansed where needed?

My advice is that you disable your meter for a raid cycle. Try to judge performance from a more intuitive basis and less meter driven and you might begin to see how horribly wrong you are.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Healing meters only really matter when you have fights that require bulk healing for a period due to high damage intake and aoe (Al akir or Halfus). Chimaeron is a stupid fight to base healing meters from, just because 80% of it could be overhealed (over 10k health).

Also, recount separates effective healing from overhealing. So it is a good tool (unless you use shields, its wierd for those)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is also wrong in every possible level.
    Overhealing, by meters, is all healing done after the target was already at 100% health. And those numbers are automatically ignored on the "healing done" meter.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.