Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Unofficial Warlock Patch Notes

i made these notes just for fun,and to hear what warlocks of this forum thinks about it.
    probably some "percentages and other numbers" are not too balanced,but i personally think that some of these mods could really help a warlock (or make this character funnier to play).

Warlock:

• Shadow Bolt have now a casting time of 2.5 seconds (down from 3)
    • Fel Flame damage has been increased by 20%
    • Drain Mana is back on the game
    • Curse of Exhaustion is now Cripple
    • Cripple reduces movement speed by 50% and lasts for 20 sec (magic Effect),if cripple is dispelled the target gets Aura of the Helpless, preventing DOTs to be dispelled for 8 seconds
    • Unstable Affliction no longer silences when dispelled
    • Demonic Circle Teleport can now remove stun, but when a stun is successfully removed, a soul shard is consumed.
    • Seed of Corruption mana cost is now reduced by 30%
    • Soul Harvest has a new spell effect (1 minute cooldown, now restores 30% of total health down from 60%, and can be used in combat, no longer restores soul shards.)
    • Bane of Soul Splitting *New Spell*
    the warlock places a bane on the target.
    When corruption ticks, the warlock restores a soul shard and places a debuff called “Soul Splitted” that reduces damage done by 5% (stacks 3 times and lasts for 10 seconds, magic)
    If Bane of Soul Splitting is dispelled, the warlock gains all the soul shards, but the target doesn’t get the “Soul Splitted” debuff. (8% of base mana, lasts for 15 seconds, 30 seconds of cooldown).
    • Soul Burn now affects Haunt and have 30 seconds of cooldown.

Destruction:
    • Bane of Havoc has a new pvp spell effect: when bane of Havoc is placed on a player, it lasts for 9 seconds and ticks every 3 seconds, dealing Shadow/fire damage, every tick have a 33% chance of disorienting the target for 2 seconds. 30 seconds cooldown
    • Chaos Bolt now deals 20% more damage than Incinerate (if inci. hits 10 k c.b. hits 12k) but it’s cooldown is raised to 15 seconds.
    • Improved Imp now increases Soul Fire damage by 30%
    • Improved Searing Pain has a new talent effect (points in this talent now reduces its threat generation to normal ratings, adds a cooldown of 4 seconds on the spell and when the warlock uses Searing Pain increases the damage of the spell by 20% and of the next Chaos Bolt by 10% stacks 3 times)
    • Backdraft now affects Searing Pain as well
    • Shadowfury now leaves a shadow area inflicting it's damage every 3 seconds for 21 seconds
    • Backlash, in addition to its effects, now unleash an exact copy of Conflagrate on the target who dispels immolate with an internal cooldown of 4 seconds

Demonology:
    • The demonology spec now have 2 more demons to use, and the warlock can switch them with 10 seconds of cooldown without spending any soul shard and they have shared health.
    These 2 new demons are: the Wrathguard (single dps) and the Dreadlord (pvp purpose)
    • Hand of Gul’dan now deals 50% more damage than Shadow Bolt (if sb hits 10k HoG hits 15k)
    • Cremation, in addition to its effects, now gives to Corruption a 6% chance to change Soul Fire into Fel Blast ignoring every talent that improves soul fire but dealing the double of Soul Fire’s damage.
    • Now the Decimation buff increases Soul Fire damage by 30%
    • Demonic Pact, in addition to its effects, now empowers Fel Flame, increasing its damage by 100% and adding a casting time of 2 seconds instead of delaying Immolate and Unstable Affliction DoTs by 6 seconds.

Affliction:
    • Shadow Balance *New Talent* when the target enemy have no warlock’s spell effects, banes or curses on self, Shadow Bolt damage is increased by 50% and its cast time reduced by 0.5, this bonuses are reduced by one fifth for every spell effect, bane or curse present on the target.
    In addition the “shadow and flame” debuff adds a 10% shadow damage improvement instead of 5% critical chance
    • Siphon life, in addition to its effects, now adds a new effect to Fel Armor
    In addition to it’s normal spell improvement, now Fel Armor increases the warlock’s spell power by 2% /4% of all DOTs damage in a row of 3 seconds
    • Soul burn: Seed of Corruption now reduces the cooldown of soul burn by 10 seconds if the detonation is successful
    • Soul Burn can now Empower Haunt to improve DoT damages by 40% and shadow bolt damage by 20% for the haunt normal duration
    Last edited by Gromkor; 2011-06-02 at 08:16 PM. Reason: updates :D

Deleted
    These aren't unofficial patch notes, they are balance ideas.

Drain Mana is back on the game
    stopped reading there

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Are these your own ideas of observations from the PTR?
    are my own ideas of observation of all cataclysm,just my opinion of how warlock should be changed...but it's just my opinion

Your Bane of Soul Splitting would make the soul shard mechanic useless in pvp as it would give warlocks shards back too rapidly. Also, affliction wouldnt need any pvp buffs. They're fine as they are so all of them are quite overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Karakk View Post
    These aren't unofficial patch notes, they are balance ideas.
    yeah, that might be a better way to explain what i wanted to do with these notes xD

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alzu View Post
    Your Bane of Soul Splitting would make the soul shard mechanic useless in pvp as it would give warlocks shards back too rapidly. Also, affliction wouldnt need any pvp buffs. They're fine as they are so all of them are quite overkill.
    in facts,there's a cooldown on bane of soul splitting,it could might be higher :P
    i thinked to this new "bane" just to give to the warlock a way to refull soul shards in combat,principally to make it easier in raids and when a warlock can't take soul shards with soul harvest
    Last edited by Gromkor; 2011-06-01 at 05:31 PM.

I look forward to being 5k dps ahead of all other classes bare minimum with these upcoming changes

Seems good to me

they are not upcoming changes,they're just changes i thought could be cool to see live

No I know, I just like your fantasy world where nobody else has any chance of competing with me

xD it's not to over power the warlock,i said that maybe some numbers are not balanced,but i can't really play warlocks in cataclysm cause they're not good in pve...maybe affliction is good in pvp (i can't play it,but it's probably for my pvp n00bness), but in pve they can't do decent dps like other classes...

but the things i liked of what i thought is how the mechanics of all specs are changed and seems funnier to play

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKoil View Post
    Honest opinion... those notes are too complicated. BoH having a PvP only effect? Shadow bolt checking the target and changing its cast time? RnG Corruption effect to change the effect of another spell that gets no talent effects from that spell but does double damage? Bane of Soul Splitting gives soul shards, but affliction has no shard problems. Soul Burn will increase Shadow Bolt damage by 20% for one bolt, that is still not worth soul burning (though the haunt effect would be nice for "turn and burns" when combined with soul swap but still doesn't solve the shadow embrace issue - what about Soul Burn Haunt applies three stacks of Shadow Embrace?)
    i'll try to explain what i intended to do^^

destruction is useless atm in pvp, this is why i thought of a pvp effect of bane of havoc (instead of inventing a new destruction pvp spell)

the purpose of "shadow balance" is to give an affliction warlock a more rapid and powerful spell to dps minor mobs (the same purpose of "mind spike" as the devs thought)

Fel Blast get's the talents improvement,but not the specific ones for soul fire! they way is to give a powerful and slow spell (the full cast time of soul fire,not the reduced one of "emberstorm") to hit enemies (i loved to see big numbers, and you? xD)

affliction maybe have no shards issue,but the other specs have some...and i invented this way to re full shards for the mods on demonic circle.

the improvement of 20% on shadow bolt is on the entire haunt effect :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll put 2c in from a PvE stand point, my thoughts are in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromkor View Post
    • Shadow Bolt have now a casting time of 2.5 seconds (down from 3) Too powerful, would have to bring down the damage.
    • Fel Flame damage has been increased by 20% Agreed
    • Soul Fire now deals 30% more damage than Shadow Bolt [b]No. This would make SF the filler for most specs.
    • Seed of Corruption mana cost is now reduced by 30% Lifetap, its a great spell.
    • Soul Harvest has a new spell effect (1 minute cooldown, now restores 30% of total health down from 60%, and can be used in combat) Make that a glyph and maybe.
    • Bane of Soul Splitting *New Spell*
    the warlock places a bane on the target.
    When corruption ticks, the warlock restores a soul shard and places a debuff called “Soul Splitted” that reduces damage done by 5% (stacks 3 times and lasts for 10 seconds, magic)
    If Bane of Soul Splitting is dispelled, the warlock gains all the soul shards, but the target doesn’t get the “Soul Splitted” debuff. (8% of base mana, lasts for 15 seconds, 30 seconds of cooldown). So you are wanting to let locks soul harvest in combat and also give them this? Lets just let locks have 32 shards again.

Destruction:
    • Chaos Bolt now deals 15% more damage than Incinerate but it’s cooldown is raised to 15 seconds. Chaos Bolt does need a buff, but this change is one step forward two steps back.
    • Improved Searing Pain has a new talent effect (points in this talent now reduces its threat generation to normal ratings, adds a cooldown of 4 seconds on the spell and when the warlock uses Searing Pain increases the damage of the spell by 20% and of the next Chaos Bolt by 10% stacks 3 times) Not a bad change, honestly.
    • Soul Burn can now empower Conflagrate to add a dot effect on the spell that deal its entire damage over 30 seconds. No, I like how SB is designed now. Its a choice to be hit, not a requirement.

Demonology:
    • The demonology spec now have 2 more demons to use, and the warlock can switch them with 10 seconds of cooldown without spending any soul shard and they have shared health.
    These 2 new demons are: the Wrathguard (single dps) and the Dreadlord (pvp purpose) The thing with warlock pets is they are all fairly unique. What kind of abilities would they have?
    • Hand of Gul’dan now deals 50% more damage than Shadow Bolt Already hits pretty hard tbh. Esp with meta up.
    • Cremation, in addition to its effects, now gives to Corruption a 6% chance to change Soul Fire into Fel Blast ignoring every talent that improves soul fire but dealing the double of Soul Fire’s damage. So with SF doing 30% more damage than SB this would mean like 100k Fel Blast crits with meta up? Maybe more?
    • Inferno, in addition to its effect, now gives to Hand of Gul’dan ’s aura an AoE damage effect equals to half the damage of Hand of Gul’dan over 12 seconds. Cause demo totally needs more AoE.
    • Demonic Pact, in addition to its effects, now empowers Fel Flame, increasing its damage by 100% and adding a casting time of 2 seconds instead of delaying Immolate and Unstable Affliction DoTs by 6 seconds. I think its the wrong talent to chain it to, but meh. The thing with Fel Flame I like is it gives me something to do while moving. This kills it.
    • Soul Burn can now empower Hand of Gul’dan to improve the aura’s range, it’s total damage and it’s lasting by the triple. 100k Fel Blast crit, 100k Guldan crit, balanced.

Affliction:
    • Shadow Balance *New Talent* when the target enemy have no warlock’s spell effects, banes or curses on self, Shadow Bolt damage is increased by 50% and its cast time reduced by 0.5, this bonuses are reduced by one fifth for every spell effect, bane or curse present on the target.
    In addition the “shadow and flame” debuff adds a 10% shadow damage improvement instead of 5% critical chance Sorry, don't want to go back to the BC days of pressing one button, I have my mage for that.
    • Siphon life, in addition to its effects, now adds a new effect to Fel Armor
    In addition to it’s normal spell improvement, now Fel Armor increases the warlock’s spell power by 1% /2% of all DOTs damage in a row of 3 seconds Huh? would be so minimal nobody would notice.
    • Soul burn: Seed of Corruption now reduces the cooldown of soul burn by 10 seconds if the detonation is successful Indifferent on this. Afflic and demo AoE would be insane and destro left in the dust. Not that it already is or anything.
    • Soul Burn can now Empower Haunt to improve DoT damages by 40% and shadow bolt damage by 20% No, once again soulburning should not be a requirement.
    While your changes may make the class more "fun", it would create more imbalances than solve. A lot of the PvP changes goes around dispel protection, which would make warlocks gods compared to any other class that uses dots. If you wanted to fix dispelling in PvP all you would have to do is add a DR on any dispel. First two are free without penalty, after that the DR's kick in increasing the chance that it will be resisted 20% for each dispel going up to 100%. The DR would last like 8-15 seconds depending on how far into the DR you got. Offensive dispels would be a bit different, but with the returns being more harsh (like 25% going to 100%)

i said that some numbers are unbalanced,but i wanted to:
    1) give to destruction a use of searing pain
    2) give to demonology a personal filler with fel flame,atm is quite useless cause of it's poor damage,even if you spam it, you won't get some decent results
    3) give to affliction a way to increase it's damage on faster fights
    4) i saw more then one time that chaos bolt and hand of gul'dan doesn't really do so "hard" damage...maybe in metamorpphosis,but without meta up demonology is useless... and how can you do 100k damage with hand of gul'dan with my mods? even if you hit 40k shadow bolt crit with meta up (and it's the only way to hit so hard with sb...for 3 sec cast is too weak) the hand of gul'dan will hit 60k crit (not so hard compared to other dps classes)
    5) with fel blast the goal is to hit very hard,but if you see,it have a really low chance to proc (like molten core) and you get the long cast of soul fire to hit (that make it hard to cast in pvp and effective in pve)
    6) i forgot to say that soul harvet won't generate soul shards anymore
    7) i forgot to lower hellfire damage by few xd to make it funnier to play (well not necessary :P)
    8) with the soul fire thing,my intention is to make it just more ffective then normal filler,but probably the way to obtain this is to take off the 1 sec less cast or better power up some talents related to hit (like the instant sf of destruction or decimation with demonology)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I look forward to being 5k dps ahead of all other classes bare minimum with these upcoming changes

Seems good to me
    The damage can be adjusted. Many of his ideas are pretty good, especially for destro. There's some bad ideas, like the DP idea for Fel Flame, considering the spell was added to give locks more mobility.
    Last edited by Zathrendar; 2011-06-01 at 07:54 PM.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow Balance made me laugh a bit, I'd love being this overpowered xP

10+ Year Old Account
    BTW, lorewise Wrathguards are Eredar, and simply too powerful to control as pets. Same goes for a Dreadlord.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Shadow Balance made me laugh a bit, I'd love being this overpowered xP
    mah,sincerely i can't imagine to reach an higher dps with only shadow bolt instead of all dots up (a sb now hits for 10k no crit as affliction, with shadow balance you would hit 15k no crit and 1.5 sec cast,but you would lose a lot of dps with shadow bite and other dots...maybe it could be strong,but it's not more over power then mind spikex3 and mind blast )

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    BTW, lorewise Wrathguards are Eredar, and simply too powerful to control as pets. Same goes for a Dreadlord.
    well, blizz made a lot of lore breaking changes during this years of WoW,but i guess with other cool demons would be nice too :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromkor View Post
    mah,sincerely i can't imagine to reach an higher dps with only shadow bolt instead of all dots up (a sb now hits for 10k no crit as affliction, with shadow balance you would hit 15k no crit and 1.5 sec cast,but you would lose a lot of dps with shadow bite and other dots...maybe it could be strong,but it's not more over power then mind spikex3 and mind blast )

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 10:05 PM ----------

well, blizz made a lot of lore breaking changes during this years of WoW,but i guess with other cool demons would be nice too :P
    I'd prefer they did less of that, not more...

Anyway, there's some good candidates for new demons in the form of those tentacled eye things and the hellhounds you find in Outland, as well as possibly Shivarra - even they are pretty powerful still.

Funnier? So this makes the class more funny to play awesome sign me up some of the last few lock gear sets did look like clown get ups so this is a natural progression.

Seriously though nice work sadly this is but a dream added to the what ifs of WoW.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

beholders are a very good idea
    anyway yep...i'd prefer it too

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    I'd prefer they did less of that, not more...

Anyway, there's some good candidates for new demons in the form of those tentacled eye things and the hellhounds you find in Outland, as well as possibly Shivarra - even they are pretty powerful still.
    yeah,floating eyes could be cool or shivarras...what about void terrors then? or fiends (terrorguards, fear fiend ecc...)?

---------- Post added 2011-06-01 at 10:44 PM ----------

warp beasts and satyrs are not bad too (demonically corrupted creatures)