Need help with multi-dotting.

Hi all,
    Recently I've been doing alt run on my spriest. I'm generally ok with single-target fights, however my rotation's a mess when it comes to fights like V&T or AC. Can you guys give me some insights as to how you multi-dot targets, any addon, macro or tip that you can show me?
    Also some quick questions:
    - How do you deal with the add on magmaw and cho'gall? The add's HP is too low to be the target of Mind Sear =/
    - When Magmaw's head becomes exposed, will the dots on the "normal" head keep running and vice versa? If so, can I apply 2 DP, or just VT and SW: P? I know DP's only on 1 target at a time, but technically these 2 targets dont exist at the same time, so I figure...
    - Does the Shadow Fiend benefit from the spirit--->hit talent? I've heard someone said that it only benefits from pure hit rating, not spirit---->hit.
    - Is Shadow Fiend considered a pet or guardian? a.k.a does it scale with your stats dynamically or just your stats at the moment you summon it?
    Last edited by Kidies; 2011-06-02 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get tidyplates. It's almost a must for me. It gives me the chance to see wich dots are on wich targets, and the nameplates are coooooler!

Deleted
    tidyplates is indeed a very nice addon to keep on track of multiple dots..
    tab targeting is also kinda a must with this

Deleted
    1. Keep Magmaw and Cho'gall on focus and track the dots this way and have the add as target. Use focus macros to cast on focus target.

2. You can only apply one DP. You want that DP to be on the exposed head for as long as possible.

3. No idea but don't think Shadowfiend can miss. Boomkins were discussing about if hit and spirit affected their treants and I think they came to the conclusion that neither affected treants.

4. I am quite sure it scales dynamically.

Hi all,
    Recently I've been doing alt run on my spriest. I'm generally ok with single-target fights, however my rotation's a mess when it comes to fights like V&T or AC. Can you guys give me some insights as to how you multi-dot targets, any addon, macro or tip that you can show me?
    - How do you deal with the add on magmaw and cho'gall? The add's HP is too low to be the target of Mind Sear =/
    - When Magmaw's head becomes exposed, will the dots on the "normal" head keep running and vice versa? If so, can I apply 2 DP, or just VT and SW: P? I know DP's only on 1 target at a time, but technically these 2 targets dont exist at the same time, so I figure...
    - Does the Shadow Fiend benefit from the spirit--->hit talent? I've heard someone said that it only benefits from pure hit rating, not spirit---->hit.
    - Is Shadow Fiend considered a pet or guardian? a.k.a does it scale with your stats dynamically or just your stats at the moment you summon it?
    - An addon that can track DoTs on multiple targets, like ForteXorcist or DoTimer. As for the targetting part, some ppl use Focus target macros. I simply use /target macros, having 4 different buttons for each Tron on ODS. The only fight where target macros for some reason won't work, is V&T, where I just manually click the dragons (requires good camera control and placement).

- I guess this is normal mode, since on HC we just kite the adds on Magmaw. But yeah, Mind Sear is your best spell here.

- On Magmaw, reapply VT and SW:P right when his normal phase is about to change to the headphase, then reapply VT, SW:P and DP 1 sec before the Exposed Head of Magmaw phase ends. 5k Dps increase right there And no, you can not have DP on more than one targets, so let it tick fully on the Exposed Head (again, use ForteXorcist or DoTimer to track this)

- I see no reason why it shouldn't benefit from the spirit hit, since the spirit is converted to hit rating, not just hit %. If you have only spirit gear, you still get the same amount of "hit rating" as if you used hit gear.

- Shadow Fiend is considered a Pet, and its stats depends on your stats when you summon it. If you use your SF without any proccs, but 4 sec later your Power Torrent and Lightweave proc, they won't affect your Fiend. Same if you pop SF with PT and LW 2 sec before you lose these buffs, the SF will keep these stats until it dies.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2011-06-02 at 02:06 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

My question on cho'gall and magmaw is that the add dies too quickly to be the target of Mind Sear, and unlike in Malo when you can Mind Sear the tank, on Magmaw and Cho'gall there's no one near the adds. And yes it's normal, cant expect more from the alt run...yet.

Is mouseover macro better than focus? I can just /focus the 2nd target and use my mouse to mult-dot without having to tab (for some reason the tab button in my laptop doesnt work very well, and it's a bitch when aoe as enhance if you know what I mean). I tried to create a mouseover macro but it also switchs target when my mouse's on ally, which is kinda annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidies View Post
    Since they're all being AoEd at the same time, they should all die at roughly the same time. What I'm trying to say is that if the target you're Mind Searing dies, the others should be mostly dead by then anyway. With multi-dotting, like the others have said, use Tidyplates as it looks better and is good at helping you track your dot timers on each target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    3. No idea but don't think Shadowfiend can miss. Boomkins were discussing about if hit and spirit affected their treants and I think they came to the conclusion that neither affected treants.
    At the end of wrath it was just hit rating. Some time after Cataclysm launched they hotfixed it to benefit from the spirit as well. So the treants got all the hit rating listed in your character sheet. I would imagine the same is done for the Shadowfiend as I notice I don't miss in shadow, but miss in Holy spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidies View Post
    It's really not too low. They die so quickly that multidotting isn't very viable because many of them will die before you even get the chance to refresh DoTs on the first one. It's better to multidot when the add health is very high (H Maloriak slimes for example) and MS when the health is low (magmaw and chogall).

DP can only be applied once, period. Both targets do exist at the same time, even if you can't switch between them, or else you wouldn't be able to multidot to begin with. Just do your best to refresh on both just before they disappear during the switches.

From my understanding, your shadowfiend takes a snapshot of your stats when you summon it, so if you summon it during procs, it will take those into account for its entire duration. As for the hit issue, I'm unsure (I'd guess it'd be looking at our hit%, not straight hit stat), but keep in mind it also does melee and doesn't require as much hit as we do anyway. Even if it was worst case scenario and only took straight hit into account, it wouldn't change our scaling for hit versus spirit much at all since it does so little total damage.

As for general tips, I'd also recommend Tidy Plates. They have a setting to show your DoTs and their duration on each target, which is very nice. I don't use any macros because I'm bad (I actually just click targets with TP to switch around), but that's just my style of it. TP is helpful whether you tab, click, or macro though.

Best focus target macro ever:

/focus [target=focus, noexists]
    /target [combat, noexists] focus
    /clearfocus [nocombat, noexists]
    /stopmacro [target=focus, noexists]
    /target focus
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus [exists]
    /targetlasttarget
    /clearfocus [btn:2]

left click = set your target as focus. If you reclick it with another target, it sets your last target as your focus while keeping your current target. Incredibly useful for fight likes V&T, Nefarian (is you switch target at the beginning).

right click = obviously clear your focus

I remember at the beginning of Cata you could not focus Magmaw as it was diseappearing constantly when the head was up. Is it still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by jfmartel View Post
    Best focus target macro ever:

/focus [target=focus, noexists]
    /target [combat, noexists] focus
    /clearfocus [nocombat, noexists]
    /stopmacro [target=focus, noexists]
    /target focus
    /targetlasttarget
    /focus [exists]
    /targetlasttarget
    /clearfocus [btn:2]
    Agreed, best focus target macro ever. I use the same exact thing on V&T without the /clearfocus on rightclick. Using this on every phase change makes life so much easier than focusing your current target and manually targeting the other dragon. I don't use it on Nef though, having Ony on focus in p1 and Nef as my current target, I just hit my focus current target bind as Ony dies, then target the pillar add as I'm jumping up to it, keeping Nef as focus.

As for Magmaw, currently you can focus him or the head but you lose focus everytime it changes, and have to refocus them. I've tried /target macros for both Magmaw and Exposed head, but I can't get either to work for some reason, so I have to manually target each, then refocus everytime I lose it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just downloaded Tidyplates and tried it out. After I cleaned up the mess I made in my pants, I started kicking myself for not getting this add-on months ago. ><

GET Tidyplates.

edit: Okay, awesome on dummies that stand there and don't move, but running a quick ZA was a different story, seemed cluttered...suggestions?
    Last edited by Pontificate; 2011-06-04 at 04:32 AM.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

If you look through the different set up options for TP, you can make it so the plates don't overlap. Just gotta explore the settings.