Deleted

Keeping a healthy lifestyle - I need a bit of advice!!

Hey Guys, been a while since I posted here!

So, over the past few months, since I started college really my general eating and fitness habits have gone up the spout, due to odd schedules, lack of free time and all sorts i've found myself eating a lot more junk food and not exercising, hell it's just easier when i need a quick energy boost, have assignments to do or just the fact that I can't cook for naught to order in a pizza, grab a Big Mac or even just munch on a bag of doritos.

Due to this i've put on a bit of weight and my fitness has decreased.

My friend has reccomended I go to a gym every other evening or something to help with my fitness and burn some of the fat I put on, and getting up early and going running. The problem here is I have to get up early already to go to college (5:30. Yeah. I've gotta transfer busses and all sorts to get there for 9) and I honestly have no money to pay for gym memberships, nor the time to put in at the moment with coursework, exams and all that good stuff to actually make a difference. At this point all the exercise I seem to get is playing gigs with my band, and walking into town, general sorta stuff.

So I ask you, do you guys have any tips that can help me maintain a relativly good level of fitness and health that wont take too much time (It's not the fact that I'm not willing to put effort in, I literally have fudge all time to make serious commitments if I want to have a social life as well) out of my schedule or any tips on how I can bring my eating habits back up to a non-shamefull level again based around my schedule and all sorts? At the moment I've kinda shrugged it off and thought I may just have to bare my big ol belly untill I finish college, but another year or two of this would probably have pretty serious effects on my health. Not to mention i'm not exactly in an attractive state.

Thanks in advance!! Desp.

You don't need to do much to stay healthy 30mins a day will keep you in shape and this can be anything really, in your circumstance I'd go and buy some 2nd hand free weights a pair of adjustable dumbells (to swap weights) an ezy bar and a barbell will make u ur own gym and since time is of the essence you would be doing all compound workouts stuff the works major muscle groups together, like the clean jerk =) that is essentially what olympic weightlifters do on stage, start on ground end over your head, that works your WHOLE body!

Do 3-4 sets of compound exercises (just read about em online), stay away from anything isolation based there only for the already freaks of nature that are rip shredded professional bodybuilders/lifters/models. The compound workouts should leave you feeling spent but remmber, you will ONLY GET OUT what YOU PUT IN!

As far as eating goes (and it is the MOST important part) if you are at college why not approach some people studying the fitness aspect of your college SURELY there is a subject on it, I am sure they would LOVE to make you there pet gunie pig while you get the best of both worlds you'll get a dedicated dietition (or if your even more lucky MULTIPLE dietitions!) thats at your side all the time cause there going to want to know the results of the info they gave you more so then you want them & you will be eating rite and healthy

In order to stay eating healthy, I do not keep junk food around my house or I WILL EAT THAT SHIT! Once I was supposed to go on a fishing trip, boss rented a boat. the seas were too rough so it was called off. I was asked to bring a few bags of Dorritos. Well, those Dorritos called to me and called to me and before I knew it I ravaged all of em.

Eating healthy on a college schedule can be tough. I would recommend keeping things like mixed nuts around for snacking or cheese sticks, or even a container in your frig with celery and carrots chilled and yummy (I like mine with a lil spicy mustard).

Dont eat fast food, avoid it like the plague. To help you with this I recommend watching the movie "Supersize Me!". After a month of eating McDonalds this dude went from being perfectly healthy to very near death. the guy's doctor told him whatever he was doing to quit it asap or he would contract a serious illness. Anyway, check out the show,

Everyone knows the answer to this. Noone does anything about it, they just look for a magic cure. Dont eat shit, exercise a bit. The weight will come off eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post

So, over the past few months, since I started college really my general eating and fitness habits have gone up the spout, due to odd schedules, lack of free time and all sorts i've found myself eating a lot more junk food and not exercising, hell it's just easier when i need a quick energy boost, have assignments to do or just the fact that I can't cook for naught to order in a pizza, grab a Big Mac or even just munch on a bag of doritos.

My friend has reccomended I go to a gym every other evening or something to help with my fitness and burn some of the fat I put on, and getting up early and going running. The problem here is I have to get up early already to go to college (5:30. Yeah. I've gotta transfer busses and all sorts to get there for 9) and I honestly have no money to pay for gym memberships, nor the time to put in at the moment with coursework, exams and all that good stuff to actually make a difference. At this point all the exercise I seem to get is playing gigs with my band, and walking into town, general sorta stuff.

So I ask you, do you guys have any tips that can help me maintain a relativly good level of fitness and health that wont take too much time (It's not the fact that I'm not willing to put effort in, I literally have fudge all time to make serious commitments if I want to have a social life as well) out of my schedule or any tips on how I can bring my eating habits back up to a non-shamefull level again based around my schedule and all sorts? At the moment I've kinda shrugged it off and thought I may just have to bare my big ol belly untill I finish college, but another year or two of this would probably have pretty serious effects on my health. Not to mention i'm not exactly in an attractive state.

I forgot to mention my favorite, protien packed snack...Pig skins, yep cracklins! Taste amazing and have 63 grams of protien per bag (normal sized).

your in college, walk to your classes(or ride a bike). everytime you enter or leave your dorm/room do 10-15 push-ups/sit-ups. dont eat many carbs, protein is good and fat isnt as bad as everyone claims it is.

you dont need 30-45 set aside at once to get a workout for the day. space it out over the day if you have too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Aah, the famous freshman-kilos :P Everyone I know, including me, gained a few kilos during our first year in college. Living for yourself for the first time without mum's cooking = pizza and takeaways. For me I stress so much during exams that I lose the weight I've gained through the semester, but I've also started exercising and eating healthier. As others have suggested do not keep junk, snacks and candy in the house. I recommend buying some fruit instead. That way when you get cravings you can just take an apple, and not get tempted to eat that chocolate or snack.

And give yourself time everyother day or every third day to make easy, but healthy dinners. Make big portions, that way you can freeze them or keep them in the fridge till the next day. Lasagne with vegetables and chicken is a good choice.There should be some very easy recipes online that you can find. Try to have some vegetables to every meal, and white meat instead red. Also make it a rule drink water to the meals, not soda. Water is not only healthier it makes you less thirsty, so after a while you automaticly don't drink as much soda. I could drink probably 5 liters of coke a day, but after changing to water I only drink 2, 3 if I exercise. A way I've "exercised" is by walking to the busstop not closest to me, but the next one and waiting untill the next stop to get off the bus, that way I get 20-30 mins of walking both ways.

My stepdad decided to turn his life around, granted he is injured and can't work so he stays home all day and therefor have the time to focus on staying healthy. But he eats every three hours on the clock every day. The first meal at 6am, the last at 6pm. That way he kinda "starves" himself for 12 hours. He does eat ALOT when he does eat. But that is because he is exercising and needs the protein. But the general rule is to not eat aleast 3 hours before you go to sleep.

To sum it up: The first weeks of changing a diet from high fat and lots of sugar to a healthier one are always the hardest. Your bloodsugar is used to be higher so you might even feel dizzy, but it will get adjusted. The easiest thing is just to make a few rules for yourself. Like I've said, drink water to every meal, add vegetables, always keep some fruit around(even in your backpack if you are in need for an energyboost), do not keep snacks/junk in your house, try to walk/run atleast 30 mins a day, your last meal should be atleast 3 hours before you go to sleep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post

You really don't need to make huge changes or follow a strict diet/fitness program to stay reasonably fit. Just adapt to your new life-style in a healthier manner.

1. Less junk food: This is obvious but it needs to be said. Try going to Subway or other healthier fast-food chains rather than opting for Pizzas and Burgers.

2. Water should be your drink No.1: Nothing contributes more to your health than drinking a good amount of Water each day. It should be your most common drink by far. Also, chose sugar-free sodas whenever you drink one.

3. Get a bicycle: Not sure how long your buss-trip is but any distance shorter than 6 miles can easily be covered by bike each day. It will give you the exercise you need, keep you fit and flexible and might also end up saving you money. I'm 26 years old and have yet to own my own car. I do almost everything by bike (including groceries, which I have an odd looking trolley for).

-Sleep alot. Atleast an average of 7.5h/night is that i'd recomend. I try to get 8h/night on average.
    -Alcohol contains about as much calories as fat.
    -Eat things like chicken/fish a lot. It's some of the best sources of protein, and low calories. Still, dont skip the carbohydrates (if that is what its called in english) , becaue just swapping to chicken can make big difference.
    - Eat veggies/fruit/some GOOD smoothie if you are in a hurry, like you are.
    - If you are not afraid you can start drinking diet coke instead of eating candy. I have completely stopped eating candy/drinking sugar-beverages and drinking diet drinks instead, and have completely no "sugar-need". It's said that drinking aspartam beverages will make you hunger for more sugar, but me aswell as my brother who is bodybuilder does not find it to be that way, we do both feel no need for more sugar afted a diet-soda. Wether aspartam is bad or not i dont know, but there is no proof whatsoever imo, there is some studies made on small mamals that show that it's bad. but no case has shown it on humans as far as i know, please, prove me wrong if you want too.,
    - A great way of excercise if find a steep hill. Run up as fast as you can, go down lika regular speed, rush up, go down, repeat some times till you are totaly "out of energy". It is a great way to train.
    - I assume you play WoW, so focus on one or maybe just two chars instead of alot of alts and jazz. This should make you get "capped" on what you can improve each week, leaving you with more time. I understand if you got alot of exams, but that's not the entire year (?). So you can slow down during that time, and get back on track when you are done

Hope something helps here
    Originally Posted by Archer
    I wanted to make the front door look like a warlock summoning portal, but my wife said something about the neighbors thinking we worship the devil.. or something along those lines. Either way I was told no

Deleted
    I cook with friends on a regular basis, it's cheaper, less work for each individual and usually lots of fun involved. And it's easier (as in package sizes for example) to have a healthy meal for 4 persons rather than one.

Check this site out: http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/
    I know it is dedicated to bodybuilding but go for the nutrition section and the nutrition tools. This really made me aware of what to eat and what not.

But if you are still young "obvious advise is obvious": Do some sports and just do not eat crap like burgers, pizza, chocolate, candies, ...
    Don't trink anything else but water. Lots of calories come from what you drink (coke etc...). Water has no calories. Drink a lot of it!

Don't start stupid diets where you are running around hungry all day. This does not work and you will go crazy during exam preparations.

After all: The start sucks and is hard. But at the end it will be very rewarding. It is all just a question of getting used to it.

Best thing i can suggest is to learn to cook properly - cooking isn't as difficult as some people make it look and well, homemade is almost always better for you than either takeout or pre-prepared stuff.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.