Thread: Windows 8 UI

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a (microsoft-biased) developer, I'm super-excited!

The apps run on HTML5/JS. Although I was hoping for Silverlight, just like on Windows Phone 7, this isn't half-bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    I heard a rumor that Win8 will allow Xbox 360 games to run natively on the PC. If that's true, then I will get it in a heartbeat. Just a rumor though. The only reason to own a console is the 1-2 good exclusives that come out each year.
    Not possible because they would need to be recompiled against x86. Microsoft cannot do that because they do not have the source code for most of the console games.

Even binary translation would be impossible because of indirect jumps and self modifying code.

15+ Year Old Account
    They'd better include an option to switch back to "classic" because that just looks awful. My desktop is not a touch screen...I don't even know why you'd want a touch screen desktop. Moving a mouse a small degree is way easier than failing your arms around while you're working a touch screen.

Cant see why I would want 8 when i paid for 7 which is awesome and already does everything I need it to whilst running effectively on my system.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems like a decent concept that COULD work, and I hope it does-but it's about the market, will people enjoy it?
    Sig by Soko, keep being amazing!

From MS's standpoint I can seem them doing this. They have all platforms (tablets, desktop pc's and ofc the windows 7 phone) all use the same UI. They would bet that more people would pick up the win 7 phone instead of an iphone since it has the same UI flow to it. I would bet that all 3 devices all share a cloud based account, so if you use win7 phone and then go back to the desktop everything is exactly the same, same files, same settings etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumiko View Post
    XP was awesome, Vista sucked, and 7 was awesome. Won't even think of getting 8 before a few people have tested and "approved" it in beta.
    Vista was nearly the same as 7, people hated it based on prejudices and others opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    I heard a rumor that Win8 will allow Xbox 360 games to run natively on the PC. If that's true, then I will get it in a heartbeat. Just a rumor though. The only reason to own a console is the 1-2 good exclusives that come out each year.
    People calling out random stuff without any reference are the source of all these rumors. Post a source or stop spreading crap around, please.

Anyway, a smartphone interface on a computer is something I'd like to see. It's much more intuitive to use for less experienced computer users, like elderly people and such. As for all other users, I don't see why MS wouldn't include an option to use the current navigation style and desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Vista was nearly the same as 7, people hated it based on prejudices and others opinion.
    All that I can say for certain was that Vista was a recourse hogging piece of software. The required RAM, HDD space and graphics card memory requirements were all higher for it to be able to run smoothly. And even with everything above the recommended specs, it was still sluggish, at least in my experience.

Feel free to check out the facts:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-requirements
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...m-requirements
    Last edited by Auralan; 2011-06-02 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    No Vista was slow and filled to the brim with unneeded apps.
    W7 in comparison is a quick lightweight OS - bounds better than Vista.

Even MS realised this which is why W7 was out so damn quick.

Deleted
    As long as it supports the all drivers I need, its compatible and with the software I use and games I play, the films I watch and the music I listen to, and the web pages I browse, I don't care what it looks like, gowd it could look like Windows95 as long as the background part works im happy

It's really too early to base whether you buy Windows 8 based on literally a single screenshot I'd think.

Also of interest:
    Microsoft says Windows 8 will be able to run on processors designed by ARM Holdings, in addition to Intel chips. That's an important addition because ARM's technology is winning among most smartphone and tablet makers. ARM President Tudor Brown predicted on Monday that his chips will be used in at least half of all mobile devices sold, which includes laptops.
    Currently iPads, iPhones and iPod touch sell like hotcakes. This is clearly an attempt to get more of that market.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-06-02 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    No Vista was slow and filled to the brim with unneeded apps.
    W7 in comparison is a quick lightweight OS - bounds better than Vista.

Even MS realised this which is why W7 was out so damn quick.
    Ok then provide an example of such unneeded apps and what was their impact on lets say, games fps, system performance etc. Instead of repeating same shitty story try to come up with some real argument. Yes, the system requirements could be considered TOO HIGH around the release date, but like 1-2 years later it was not an issue anymore.

Just tried looking at this: http://www.google.pl/search?client=o...N&hl=pl&tab=wi

Not saying they are all legit but none of these is even barely similar to the one in OP.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2011-06-02 at 12:03 PM.

Azerate, the OP has a link. Try reading it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the wanna do some fancy UI, that's great, as long as there is the old one available for ease of use.

As already made clear in the video it's gonna be available. However, it is supposed to work as a "subset" of the new UI. Hopefully there will be simple settings to "lock onto" the desktop properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    On tablet: YES!
    On PC: WTF?? no thanks!
    English is not my mainspec!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't want a touch screen pc. Sounds horrific to play games on.

Quote Originally Posted by druidicitus View Post
    On tablet: YES!
    On PC: WTF?? no thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    I really don't want a touch screen pc. Sounds horrific to play games on.
    Watch the video. Not only can you also use a mouse and a keyboard, regular Windows programs still run on regular Windows mode.

Deleted
    Ok then provide an example of such unneeded apps and what was their impact on lets say, games fps, system performance etc. Instead of repeating same shitty story try to come up with some real argument. Yes, the system requirements could be considered TOO HIGH around the release date, but like 1-2 years later it was not an issue anymore.

Just tried looking at this: http://www.google.pl/search?client=o...N&hl=pl&tab=wi

Not saying they are all legit but none of these is even barely similar to the one in OP.
    I don't need to provide you with anything. The information is out there, if you are interested, you will find it. But you clearly don't want to, you would rather try to argue with people.

Vista was crap, it was a step in the right direction but it was executed wrong.