View Poll Results: Dwarf

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thorin Oakenshield

    52 33.77%
  • Balin

    21 13.64%
  • Bifur

    4 2.60%
  • Bofur

    7 4.55%
  • Bombur

    18 11.69%
  • Dori

    1 0.65%
  • Dwalin

    16 10.39%
  • Fili

    5 3.25%
  • Kili

    19 12.34%
  • Gloin

    8 5.19%
  • Nori

    1 0.65%
  • Oin

    0 0%
  • Ori

    2 1.30%
Page 39 of 109 FirstFirst ...
29
37
38
39
40
41
49
89
... LastLast
  1. #761
    Here is something I found that's a little fun to read, it was an imdb user's review of the hobbit, I know it is not a truly serious review, but it made me laugh at how overblown it is.

    "Some love stories are built on passion, some on courage and some on hope. Very rarely do you come across a love story that encompasses itself around a journey. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey introduces us to the world of Bilbo Baggins, who mirrors the most innocent of sentiments which lie locked up within the depths of our heart. He wins us over in the first frame, because he is one among us. It is not his heroism which makes him surreal, but his vulnerability which makes him endear-able. The audience falls in love with Bilbo because he is scared of the unknown just like us. What makes him a hero is his conviction and spirit, which makes him embark on a wide-spread journey for the search of love and faith. It is somewhere in that journey, that you no longer root for Peter Jackson and his victory, but for Bilbo and his belief, which makes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey a winner right from the opening credits.

    His name is Bilbo, Bilbo Baggins. Brought up in an unforgiving society, Bilbo battles the alternate evils of racial profile and scornful peers with equal focus, trying to make sense of the world that burns homes, bullies people at school and make a false show of sympathy. He goes by the doctrine of Gandalf the Grey, who teaches him that there are two classes of people in the world, those who are good and would offer a lollipop and those who are bad and would point a sharp stick. There is no caste, creed or religion but just people who shape the world. It is this philosophy which Bilbo carries forward in his love and faith, painting his journey in a collage of alternate light and dark emotions, shadow plays of human nature which guides him to the world or perhaps, guides the world towards him.

    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is appreciable because of its brilliance, acceptable for its nobility and unquestionable in its integrity. Peter Jackson weaves in a tale of love, faith, strength and humanity within a cinematic frame of timeless minutes pulling out a riveting and compelling human drama of innocence poised against the system, through the filtered sensibilities of a patient suffering from the effects of an enchanter's ring, one who cannot understand the world, but love it enough to change it. The keynotes of each frame, drenched with subtle social comments and complex emotional undertones makes the movie an amalgamation of the colors of hope and persistence, with layered textures of unspoken bonds. With Bilbo, Jackson succeeds in bringing the system on trial through the eyes of one who cannot bias himself on any ideology, making his emotions pure and though provoking, which touches the innermost chords of the heart, moistening the eyes and serenading the senses.

    The story is filled with emotional subtexts which move at breakneck speed throughout the length of the film, constantly switching gears between the palettes of emotions. The dialogs exude class and confidence holding grip of the story yet laced with the finesse that allows for emotional drama combined with spiritual uprising, casting a satire on the entire system and its treatment of identities. The script penned by Fran Walsh is one of par excellence, allowing the audience to blend into Bilbo through his smiles and tears , laugh in his joy and cringe with every blow dealt to him. The screenplay drops hypocritical moral ambitions to make scathingly relevant comments on modern outlook of the world, making it rise several notches above anything attempted in modern-day Hollywood.

    In the end, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey becomes the experience it is because of Bilbo and Gandalf, essayed flawlessly by Freeman and McKellen. Freeman exudes the spirit of Bilbo in every breath and pulse of the film, putting in a performance that is beyond any benchmark of excellence. He controls every single emotional nerve of the audience with vacant stares and dimpled smiles, towering like an illusionist conjuring up a magical performance of a lifetime. He breaks every stereotypical mould attached to him to rise like a phoenix from the ashes with Bilbo , who reigns over the audience in a sweeping wave of emotions, establishing a bond that scales beyond the arc-lights of the 70mm screen. He is complimented by Thorin whose very presence lights up the entire room with just a flashing smile. He balances the sensitivity of love and charm with the emotional conflict of a ravaged heart with effortless poise. The interactions between Freeman and his merry company form the highlights of the film, filled with the cackling chemistry of a uninhibited passion, captivating the audience in the mesmerizing spell of the couple. Elijah Wood as Bilbo's nephew delivers a matured and restrained performance while Hugo Weaving as Eldron blends in simplicity with sensibility in a performance that comes straight from the heart. Benedict Cumberbatch is exceptional as the young Sauron in his mannerisms while the supporting cast all deliver credible performances including Ian Holm in a dazzling cameo.

    There will always be movies that enchant us with their magic, but there will hardly be a journey that goes beyond cinematic borders to deliver the experience of a lifetime. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is undoubtedly the new face of global cinema that enthralls with each passing frame, healing the hidden scars of the heart with its message of a better and humane world. There might be superheroes, but there will never be one Bilbo Baggins, who takes pride in being ordinary and yet changes the face of his world.

    Earlier time scales used B.C. and A.D. to mark important events. After 14th December 2012, the scales of humanity would mark the world before and after the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

    My Rating- 10/10 (Exceptional!!)"

  2. #762
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I really need a better office computer that can actually manage to download and run that trailer.

    I watched the entire GG's video in your signature. Man Korea does such a better job of girl bands than the US and UK. Our dynamic usually only includes 1-2 girls who are "the hot one." That is literally the entire dynamic of Girl's Generation. They are all ridiculously cute. I spent the whole video trying to figure out who was the hottest and the answer was all of them.
    They really do, indeed. I have a really hard time with western pop music, but I love it when it comes from Asia. And yes, the answer is "all of them"! :>

    OT: 6 hours and 30 minutes to go, can't wait much longer! D:
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  3. #763
    22 hours 38 minutes until I get to see it


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  4. #764
    Smile! Migari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    u ma xoxo L O V E
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    22 hours 38 minutes until I get to see it
    Add another 3 hours and you have me.

    This wait is killing me, and I have tests and stuff for school due tomorrow :c
    http://last.fm/user/migari_migi
    <Anakso> I'd fuck yonghwa because he's so dreamy but that doesn't make me gay

  5. #765
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Oh yea, I'm not sure if this was ever posted here in the Forum ... But there's alot of Stupid videos on youtube and shit where they simply just double the speed of the trailer and say it's a "48FPS Example"... However this here is a much better representation of what it will look like.

    http://www.lukeletellier.com/?portfo...ailer-to-48fps

    It's still not exactly what it will look like when it comes onto the theater screen, but this chap has done a proper post-conversion and it gives you a much better idea of what the film will look like.
    That's the second time I have seen an example of that and I've like it both times. Yeah it does look weird at times but I'm sure when I sit down and see it for 2 hours the weirdness will go away. Im still going to see it in 24 fps since the theater closest to me doesn't have the machines for 48 but I will see it again at 48 just so I can say I did. Really the fps isn't going to have an effect on my feelings of the movie.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

  6. #766
    30 minutes to go 'til it's time to go and see how well it worked out! \o/

  7. #767
    I think I've decided on going to see it in 48fps first. Then Imax 3D second time now. I like the 48fps appearance myself, it's strange, but you can just see so clearly what's happening that it seems worth getting used to in my opinion.

  8. #768
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    30 minutes to go 'til it's time to go and see how well it worked out! \o/
    I'm off in 30 minutes myself! Can't honestly say I was this hyped for any of the lotr movies, simply because I wasn't a Tolkien fan before seeing those, even if I did love them instantly. It wasn't until I saw all three that I began reading/re-reading lotr, silmarillion, unfinished tales etc. I had read The Hobbit before watching LotR, so I recognized a few characters.. but that's about it.

    30 longest minutes of my life, I kid you not. D:
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  9. #769
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    As for 3D, i've never seen a movie in 3D before. Not sure If it's really going to be my cup of tea, we have a 3DS Nintendo here and usually the 3D slider is just turned off, it fries your brain quite fast.
    3d movies are like listening to 5.1 music. Neat for a few minutes, rather annoying for anything after that.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  10. #770
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,483
    I am excited, will see it in 24 hrs..what a long night that will be.

    But reading some reviews I guess it is now cool to start hating on the films... C'mon, how can you say a movie is shite because of a new technology. I bet you laugh now about this:



    It is about how Film with sound is stupid, unnecessary and spiritual and commercial murder. That's right folks Apparently it squeaks and ruins artists as well as hearing.
    Last edited by det; 2012-12-11 at 10:17 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  11. #771
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I am excited, will see it in 24 hrs..what a long night that will be.

    But reading some reviews I guess it is now cool to start hating on the films... C'mon, how can you say a movie is shite because of a new technology. I bet you laugh now about this:



    It is about how Film with sound is stupid, unnecessary and spiritual and commercial murder. That's right folks Apparently it squeaks and ruins artists as well as hearing.
    What am I looking at?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 01:08 AM ----------

    The Most Astounding Fact of the Universe


    Invisible flying spaghetti monster in the sky bless America.

  12. #772
    So, the movie is over, I just came home and I have few first words of it. Some spoilers of course so skip the post if you don't want to (Who haven't read The Hobbit anyhow?).

    When I went in I couldn't really tell what I was expecting from it as most of the trailers left me with feelings of a bit like "Meh" "Might work out" "That could be promising" and other assorted stuff.

    All in all I can say now though. Amazing. Simply amazing.

    The movie, when it followed the book driven parts, managed to capture adventurous feeling of the Hobbit extremely well and unlike LotR, there was no gross reshaping of characterisations nor missing scenes (Or added nonesense, fuck you elves at the Helm's Deep). Pretty much everything worked as it did in the book, including the names of the three trolls! And of course songs, lots of singing. And they managed to do that without feeling forced.
    Those few scenes that were from the books and had deviations, mostly worked for the better in the end I would say, such as the stone giants. They did not play football in the mountains and the scene all in all was truly epic sight to behold. The orc chase scene did not quite fit though, which I touch in next paraghraph

    The scenes that were not on the book and followed the expanded "universe" also worked really well most of the time (For example, reminiscin the battle at the gates of Moria) even though in some bits it did interfere with the main storyline a wee. (Azog hunting the dwarves on western side of Misty Mountains).

    Scenes with Gollum was brilliantly excecuted even though from my counting they missed the riddle about fishes which is a sort of silly as it is referred in the Two Towers movie. They also managed to add the tragic element into Gollum's character when Bilbo was about to slice down onto him with the help of the Ring .

    There are, however, some things which I found to be what I call typically "Peter Jacksonin' " of the movie. What that stands for is taking some things that would work just fine by itself and then creating over the top scenes or characterizations to fist in the point with a sledgehammer.

    Radagast was one of these mistreated characters. While it did not suffer from polar shift of character (Looking at you Faramir and Theoden) the way he was presented was simply too much. Most of his scenes were just outright silly (Racing wargs with rabbit driven cart on no wheels? WTF Jackson, WTF). He did have few nice scenes but most of it should've worked off differently.

    Same with some of the chase bits in the Goblin City. Parts of it as I feared, were closer to slap stick humour than suspension filled action but luckily those events were only few and didn't break the flow in the end.

    Musics were a bit "bland" as lot of it were recycled. The few original bits sounded extremely good but were a bit overused by the end and then there was this one "wtf" moment in the end when Thorin and Azog were to duel and suddenly Nazgul theme started to play. It set the "feeling" of that scene off for me quite a bit.

    Overall I find this movie to out-do all the LotR movies easily and is so far the best movie released this year and also in many years. I could always rant about the lack of characterization of most of the dwarves but I won't because 13 is ridiculous amount to flesh out on the screen, expesially in the case when they practically had no character in the book either, just a long list of names.

    Technical side of stuff. 48 FPS. Amazing, pure eyegasms for entire movie. The clarity and smoothness is uncomparable to anything and after going 48 I don't see how I could watch 24 comfortably anymore.

    3D worked out really well too. It was subtle and not blown into your eyes like a gimmick. Instead it was used to convey the atmoshpere, which it did really well.
    Comparisation could easily be made with the pre-movie commercials which simply just abused the whole thing again and again.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2012-12-12 at 02:22 AM.

  13. #773
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    So, the movie is over, I just came home and I have few first words of it. Some spoilers of course so skip the post if you don't want to (Who haven't read The Hobbit anyhow?).

    When I went in I couldn't really tell what I was expecting from it as most of the trailers left me with feelings of a bit like "Meh" "Might work out" "That could be promising" and other assorted stuff.

    All in all I can say now though. Amazing. Simply amazing.

    The movie, when it followed the book driven parts, managed to capture adventurous feeling of the Hobbit extremely well and unlike LotR, there was no gross reshaping of characterisations nor missing scenes (Or added nonesense, fuck you elves at the Helm's Deep). Pretty much everything worked as it did in the book, including the names of the three trolls! And of course songs, lots of singing. And they managed to do that without feeling forced.
    Those few scenes that were from the books and had deviations, mostly worked for the better in the end I would say, such as the stone giants. They did not play football in the mountains and the scene all in all was truly epic sight to behold. The orc chase scene did not quite fit though, which I touch in next paraghraph

    The scenes that were not on the book and followed the expanded "universe" also worked really well most of the time (For example, reminiscin the battle at the gates of Moria) even though in some bits it did interfere with the main storyline a wee. (Azog hunting the dwarves on western side of Misty Mountains).

    Scenes with Gollum was brilliantly excecuted even though from my counting they missed the about fishes which is a sort of silly as it is referred in the Two Towers movie. They also managed to add the tragic element into Gollum's character when Bilbo was about to slice down onto him with the help of the Ring .

    There are, however, some things which I found to be what I call typically "Peter Jacksonin' " of the movie. What that stands for is taking some things that would work just fine by itself and then creating over the top scenes or characterizations to fist in the point with a sledgehammer.

    Radagast was one of these mistreated characters. While it did not suffer from polar shift of character (Looking at you Faramir and Theoden) the way he was presented was simply too much. Most of his scenes were just outright silly (Racing wargs with rabbit driven cart on no wheels? WTF Jackson, WTF). He did have few nice scenes but most of it should've worked off differently.

    Same with some of the chase bits in the Goblin City. Parts of it as I feared, were closer to slap stick humour than suspension filled action but luckily those events were only few and didn't break the flow in the end.

    Musics were a bit "bland" as lot of it were recycled. The few original bits sounded extremely good but were a bit overused by the end and then there was this one "wtf" moment in the end when Thorin and Azog were to duel and suddenly Nazgul theme started to play. It set the "feeling" of that scene off for me quite a bit.

    Overall I find this movie to out-do all the LotR movies easily and is so far the best movie released this year and also in many years. I could always rant about the lack of characterization of most of the dwarves but I won't because 13 is ridiculous amount to flesh out on the screen, expesially in the case when they practically had no character in the book either, just a long list of names.

    Technical side of stuff. 48 FPS. Amazing, pure eyegasms for entire movie. The clarity and smoothness is uncomparable to anything and after going 48 I don't see how I could watch 24 comfortably anymore.

    3D worked out really well too. It was subtle and not blown into your eyes like a gimmick. Instead it was used to convey the atmoshpere, which it did really well.
    Comparisation could easily be made with the pre-movie commercials which simply just abused the whole thing again and again.
    Everyone I know who has seen it (non-Americans cuz it's out Fri for us) claims it's a masterpiece. Bitch all they want about 48fps, the movie itself is phenomenal.
    Last edited by Northy; 2012-12-12 at 02:13 AM.
    The Most Astounding Fact of the Universe


    Invisible flying spaghetti monster in the sky bless America.

  14. #774
    So I just saw the movie, and well.. it was okay? Sure, the visuals and the music were perfect as always, just as expected, but otherwise it could have been better. It's been a long while since I read the book, but in my opinion there were many things added to the story that could have been left out, but I guess the first part of the book wouldn't have been interesting or action-packed enough to make it to a film without adding anything. About Azog (who was basically the villain in the movie), how did he appear in the book? As far as I remember he didn't play such a big role as he did now in the movie. Also, I think the golems turned into stone just because Bilbo stalled them long enough in the book, not because Gandalf came out of the blue to save the day. There were some other things too that I thought were changed, but I'm not completely sure because I haven't read the book in a while.
    There could have been more focus on the different personalities of the dwarves, there were 13 but only a few had really any lines or role in the first movie. Martin Freeman did a fine job as Bilbo, although the character development seemed kinda weird; I didn't really feel that Bilbo really missed his home or was lost in this new, scary environment, this was better executed in LoTR-trilogy. Fine job by the actor anyways, I knew like Freeman would make a great Bilbo as soon as they revealed that he would be playing him. McKellen was great as Gandalf as always, he still got it!
    From the second part I'm expecting more focus on the Necromancer, because in the books Gandalf disappears from the company and I'm guessing that this is what Jackson is planning to do too. Really excited to see how they will handle that, I was actually more interested on that than the actual plot The third film has potential to be pretty damn epic, with Smaug and the massive battle (can't remember the name, the third battle or something like that), definately looking forward to it.
    But overall, I think the movie could have been better. In my opinion they added a little too much stuff to make it more exciting for a casual filmgoer to watch, and there wasn't enough focus on the different members of the company. On the other hand, it really had that sense of epicness and adventure, alongside with occasional humor. There's a lot of potential in the last two movies however, so I'm definately looking forward to watching them aswell.
    Last edited by Daelos; 2012-12-12 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typos

  15. #775
    The Patient Xerkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Norway, Trondheim
    Posts
    263
    Just saw this movie aswell. I loved it ! and I can't wait for the other movies !

  16. #776
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    What is IMAX, and why do we want to see it there ?

    I am sure others have stated this, but it is important to see eyegasm films in IMAX

    "IMAX (an abbreviation for Image Maximum) is a motion picture film format and a set of cinema projection standards created by the Canadian company IMAX Corporation. IMAX has the capacity to record and display images of far greater size and resolution than conventional film systems. Since 2002, some feature films have been converted (or upgraded) into IMAX format for display in IMAX theatres and some have also been partially shot in IMAX."

    this image shows the difference in film size from standard film and IMAX, IMAX is always in the Highest Definition possible.


    ---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 06:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lomppa View Post
    Hello. I heard some place that the Hobbit was going to be a trilogy, its that something some one can verify here?
    Read the book about 10 years ago, and i do remember it pretty well, and i dont understand how they will squeez that much movie out of it.
    Dont get me wrong, i dont think its a bad thing, but i was really looking forward to see the fight vs Smaug!

    Because it is a literal translation of the books into film. The biggest Nerd Film maker of all time made Lord of the Rings and filmed every line of the book, and was forced to edit each film for theatrical release. This time He filmed it the same way and split the film up into a trilogy.

  17. #777
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Berks, UK
    Posts
    15,249
    im a total noob, can someone explain the significance of the 48fps? what does this do to the movie and why is everyone so uppity about it?
    Too cool for a signature

  18. #778
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    im a total noob, can someone explain the significance of the 48fps? what does this do to the movie and why is everyone so uppity about it?
    The reason why 24 looks smooth to human eye is blur effect to hide the jerkyness (Easy to check when you pause 24 FPS stuff during motion it's usually blur). At 48 FPS the picture moves smoothly enough to not need the blur so it's much more crisp and sharper to look at.

  19. #779
    Just saw the movie too, and I loved it. It met my expectations and more, so happy that I bought a ticket to watch it again in about 16 hours. Unlike Wilian, I didn't mind the sillyness of Radagast (We all have our own opinions ) I was aware that he could be crossing into Jar Jar Bings terrority, but I don't think he did at all. It is based upon a children's book after all and unlike a few of the jokes in the movie I thought Radagast's way of travelling was enjoyable to watch

    I was very impressed with the way 3D looked in this film, I've seen my fair share of 3D movies at the cinema and most were awful. It was a bit irritating for the eyes after 2ish hours, but it worked very well. I just wish they had 48 fps around here Next viewing will be without 3D just to compare.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  20. #780
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelos View Post
    Also, I think the golems turned into stone just because Bilbo stalled them long enough in the book, not because Gandalf came out of the blue to save the day.
    It the book it was Gandalf who distracted the trolls by hiding in the shadows and speaking in the voices of the trolls, making them argue and brawl each others until sunrise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •