View Poll Results: Dwarf

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thorin Oakenshield

    52 33.77%
  • Balin

    21 13.64%
  • Bifur

    4 2.60%
  • Bofur

    7 4.55%
  • Bombur

    18 11.69%
  • Dori

    1 0.65%
  • Dwalin

    16 10.39%
  • Fili

    5 3.25%
  • Kili

    19 12.34%
  • Gloin

    8 5.19%
  • Nori

    1 0.65%
  • Oin

    0 0%
  • Ori

    2 1.30%
  1. #1061
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well good for him for doing it but I think he should have done Smaug instead. I imagine a certain "oiliness" from Saruman that I'm not sure if Chris can still pull off.
    Would you rather have another actor portrait him? I personally don't think I can see anyone else doing the role after him. Or, maybe in like 20 years if they decide to re-visit LotR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I had no idea he was that old...
    Some fun facts about the oldies in LotR: Christopher Lee is 90 years old and reads LotR at least once a year, he also knows the text on the ring in the language of Mordor by heart and has recorded a few of Treebeard's songs before the movies came out. Ian McKellen is 73 years old, and Ian Holm (old Bilbo) is 81. Best part: all three of them are a "sir"

    Edit: Lee even met Tolkien once!
    Last edited by Skinny Red; 2012-12-18 at 07:21 AM.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  2. #1062
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    The Necromancer is actually in the Hobbit book used to get Gandalf away from Bilbo and the Dwarves during Mirkwood and the encounter with Smaug so Bilbo could become important and a hero.

    And yes, the Necromancer [spoiiler]is Sauron, this was not something Peter Jackson made up either.[/spoiler]
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself

  3. #1063
    Mechagnome Proxeneta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far north of everything
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself
    You're wrong, the Necromancer is Sauron.

  4. #1064
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,244
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself
    No, it's definitely Sauron. It's been a while since I've read the books, but I am 100% certain the Necromancer was Sauron.

  5. #1065
    Warchief Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    2,156
    why did rotten tomatoes give the hobbit 65%? i mean they gave all the lotro movies 90+%



    what gives
    Milk was a bad choice.

    2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

  6. #1066
    Gollum and Radagast were the best characters in the movie. Was quite enjoyable apart from the utterly pointless 3D.

  7. #1067
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,032
    Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself
    Yeah it's Sauron, though the ghost which attacked Radagast could've been the Witch-King since Peter Jackson apparently wanted to pull of some jibber jabber about him being burried in a tomb and what not....

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  8. #1068
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah it's Sauron, though the ghost which attacked Radagast could've been the Witch-King since Peter Jackson apparently wanted to pull of some jibber jabber about him being burried in a tomb and what not....
    Yeah, that does seem very likely. Especially since the sword dropped was confirmed to be the Witch-King's


    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  9. #1069
    Good film, but im getting old and My bum was aching , really needed 5/10 minute recess with these longer films

  10. #1070
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    10,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    why did rotten tomatoes give the hobbit 65%? i mean they gave all the lotro movies 90+%



    what gives
    Read through the comments, and some of them were pretty sad; overall lost all of my faith in rotten tomatoes after this. That and I think there was a shadowing effect since LOTR was, well.... epic is an understatement.

  11. #1071
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Yeah, that does seem very likely. Especially since the sword dropped was confirmed to be the Witch-King's
    My thoughts exactly.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  12. #1072
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Would you rather have another actor portrait him? I personally don't think I can see anyone else doing the role after him. Or, maybe in like 20 years if they decide to re-visit LotR.
    I would be fine with someone else in the role. They are acting after all. I don't get "that" attached to anyone in a particular role. If age or health gets in the way then absolutely someone else should fill the part.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  13. #1073
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I would be fine with someone else in the role. They are acting after all. I don't get "that" attached to anyone in a particular role. If age or health gets in the way then absolutely someone else should fill the part.
    Interesting view of things, I've never liked it when they replace actors in movies (Took a few movies before I could feel at ease with the new dumbledore for example). It's just.. when I imagine the character I see the actor. So when I imagine Saruman I always see Christopher Lee. Even if I read a book, a few years later a movie comes out and I go back to re-read the book, I keep seeing the actor.

    Obviously not the case if I read a book without a movie adaption though.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  14. #1074
    Quote Originally Posted by metaladdict View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was the witch-king not Sauron himself
    In the movie the ghost you saw was the witch-king, then after that you saw a black outline of something indistinct. That was the necromancer (who is also sauron).

    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Yeah it's Sauron, though the ghost which attacked Radagast could've been the Witch-King since Peter Jackson apparently wanted to pull of some jibber jabber about him being burried in a tomb and what not....
    I think the ghost was definitely the witch king, he looked identical to what he looks like in Fellowship on the Watch Tower; but the necromancer was also there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Interesting view of things, I've never liked it when they replace actors in movies (Took a few movies before I could feel at ease with the new dumbledore for example). It's just.. when I imagine the character I see the actor. So when I imagine Saruman I always see Christopher Lee. Even if I read a book, a few years later a movie comes out and I go back to re-read the book, I keep seeing the actor.

    Obviously not the case if I read a book without a movie adaption though.
    I have to agree here. It's always jarring to me when a character is suddenly portrayed by someone else. I mean I never really got used to the second Dumbeldore and always liked the first much better (as an example).

    Side note, anyone else concerned about Cumberbunch (no idea how to spell his name) being the voice of smaug? I mean I get everyone loves him and stuff, he just doesn't have a very dragonish voice imo.

  15. #1075
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Side note, anyone else concerned about Cumberbunch (no idea how to spell his name) being the voice of smaug? I mean I get everyone loves him and stuff, he just doesn't have a very dragonish voice imo.
    Haven't seen much with him to actually have an opinion on the matter, but I'm sure layers of effects will solve any possible issue. I mean, the Nazgul screams were actually made by Peter Jackson's wife, Fran Welsh, who found out she could make some horrible sounds while her throat were sore. I have faith in PJ and his crew to make Cumberbunch or whatevs sound like the most dragonly dragon!
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

  16. #1076
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Haven't seen much with him to actually have an opinion on the matter, but I'm sure layers of effects will solve any possible issue. I mean, the Nazgul screams were actually made by Peter Jackson's wife, Fran Welsh, who found out she could make some horrible sounds while her throat were sore. I have faith in PJ and his crew to make Cumberbunch or whatevs sound like the most dragonly dragon!
    How does one even sound dragonly?
    Belief can become reality!

  17. #1077
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,848
    I didn't read the book (nor every page in this long thread), but I was wondering if some people could clear some stuff up for me.

    The 13 dwarves in this movie, is that all that remain from the orginial kingdom in the mountain? The rest were either killed by Smaug or died in that war with the Orcs?

    Speaking of this war, I was confused as what the purpose of this was? What were they fighting for? A new homeland they had found?

    The Heart of the Mountain, is this gem what Smaug truly wanted? Is the gem still resting with him in the city in the mountain?

    Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over the city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P

    Thanks for the help

  18. #1078
    Anybody worried about Benedict Cumberbatch's Voice for Smaug should realize there is a thing called Voice Acting.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 04:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I didn't read the book (nor every page in this long thread), but I was wondering if some people could clear some stuff up for me.

    The 13 dwarves in this movie, is that all that remain from the orginial kingdom in the mountain? The rest were either killed by Smaug or died in that war with the Orcs?

    Speaking of this war, I was confused as what the purpose of this was? What were they fighting for? A new homeland they had found?

    The Heart of the Mountain, is this gem what Smaug truly wanted? Is the gem still resting with him in the city in the mountain?

    Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over they city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P

    Thanks for the help
    13 dwarves are the only ones who said they would help when Thorin asked all the dwarves to go retake their home. There are more dwarves they just dont want to fight smaug.

    What war?

    Heart of the mountain is still with Smaug, he took the mountian because Dragons just like gold.

    its been 200 years since Smaug took the mountain, and yes Thorin Oakenshield looks similar because Dwarves live a long time so he is still a Youngish Dwarf

  19. #1079
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    How does one even sound dragonly?
    Have you ever seen the old animated version? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/ Richard Boone was the voice of smaug and was brilliant. I'd search for a clip of it on youtube to show you but I can't see youtube at work

    I also think that Keith David's would have been great for smaug. For mean I think a voice needs to have a deep and large quality to it.

    Benedict Cumberbatch (i looked it up :P ) seems like he can definitely do the arrogant part, but the over powering awe inducing aspect.... idk. I am also incredibly curious what he will look like exactly. Sad we didn't see more of him in the first movie

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:52 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Finally a timeline, is this accurate? Smaug takes over city --> King Oakenshield behead, Thrain lost in war with Orcs --> Bilbo and 13 begin journey to take home city back. This is now 60 years after Smaug has taken over the city, which is why they assume he is no longer there? I guess Dwarves age very well since Thorin looks exactly the same 60 years later? :P
    To clarify what Gamdewlf said, the 60 years part is just how long it's been since smaug has been active/seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Anybody worried about Benedict Cumberbatch's Voice for Smaug should realize there is a thing called Voice Acting.
    Of course, but everyone's voices have certain timbre's to them that no matter how you try to make them sound different. An example would be Robin Williams (who can do some great impressions) still always sounds like Robin Williams. I mean sure they can put it through processing and stuff, but then it's not really his voice anymore.

  20. #1080
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    In the movie the ghost you saw was the witch-king, then after that you saw a black outline of something indistinct. That was the necromancer (who is also sauron).



    I think the ghost was definitely the witch king, he looked identical to what he looks like in Fellowship on the Watch Tower; but the necromancer was also there.



    I have to agree here. It's always jarring to me when a character is suddenly portrayed by someone else. I mean I never really got used to the second Dumbeldore and always liked the first much better (as an example).

    Side note, anyone else concerned about Cumberbunch (no idea how to spell his name) being the voice of smaug? I mean I get everyone loves him and stuff, he just doesn't have a very dragonish voice imo.
    It's Benedict Cumberbatch. I think his voice will be just fine and deep enough. It's not like they can't modify it anyway if he's unable to do it himself. Which I doubt.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wFmr1GuZLY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •