1 0.63%
  • Oin

0 0%
  • Ori

2 1.27%
Page 60 of 110 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snore View Post
    Can you elaborate? It was ages ago I read the book but that Azog dude sure as hell wasn't in it.
    His son is, getting revenge for his father is the very reason the orcs and wargs are even there.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    And so it crushed me when I realised The Hobbit was a bad film.
    Now I don't think Hobbit is anywhere near "that" bad. I didn't think it was really that bad at all. Now there were various bits that just didn't "fit" for me, but its PJ's movie. I wasn't terribly impressed with the first LotR one either, but the second two got better. My main issues with Tolkien's books in general have usually been Tolkien. Not the various interpreters that followed.

My issues with this movie have all been really minor. Radagast being a bit too brainless. The pointless chase. Saruman being a bit too lethargic. The goblin town goblins looking too inbred. The orcs and goblins now having an almost slimy "sheen." Adding a whole new plotline, Azog and Thorin, to the story. Just annoyances really. Overall I don't think the movie is bad at all.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    He was mentioned in the backstory of Thorin Oakenshield, although in the books he died in the battle for Moria.
    Ah yes. But can you explain why they need him in the movie? Something about the battle of the 5 armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    So is that it? It's just to be commonly accepted that the next Peter Jackson movie is SUPPOSED to be utter crap because it's from a kids book?

Consensus from people that like the movie:

Kids book = free pass. It's okay that it was terrible.
    More like:
    We liked the book, and movie is following it closely, while adding things that happened in the same timeframe of The Hobbit that isn't explained in the actual novel (but in other works) so we get a bonus. And we like it.

Ah yes. But can you explain why they need him in the movie? Something about the battle of the 5 armies.
    Instead of having an army of unknown goblins we will have a leader we recognize from the earlier movies.

Edit: If Bolg really shows up, I guess Azog is there as new Lurtz, in a way. Only he gets more spotlight.
    Last edited by Skinny Red; 2012-12-18 at 10:51 PM.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    His son is, getting revenge for his father is the very reason the orcs and wargs are even there.
    So why is he there instead of his son when he's supposed to be dead? Doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something.

Just the thread I was needing!

So 3 of my well educated friends saw it before I could (still haven't) and they gave it a somewhat 6-7 out of 10.
    I know it's a trilogy and the story unfolds, but is it really a 6-7?

No spoilers please, just rate it (subjectively, of course)

Here is stuff about Azog and Bolg.

He creates a main villain and a sense of "something being out there to get them" while on the road for the first movie. Without Azog, things would have seemed much more... peaceful, in some ways I guess.

A different orc leads the horde in the battle of 5 armies, so no he has no place there. It's simply better for cinema if you have a tiny plot giving more characterization beyond "random orc attacks yay!"
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Anathaema View Post

So 3 of my well educated friends saw it before I could (still haven't) and they gave it a somewhat 6-7 out of 10.

I'd give it a 9.5/10, there's a reason I saw it four times! The 0.5 is because a few jokes are a bit cringeworthy. I expected it to be awesome, which it was, but I also expected that I'd feel that LotR still was better, which I think it was. But that's because I'm more into the darker epic trilogy than the children's book.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

So why is he there instead of his son when he's supposed to be dead? Doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Seems like PJ is trying to make it more "personal" to the protagonists.

I would give it about the same, maybe even an eight out of ten. I think of it like the first one for the last trilogy. Its laying the groundwork for the stuff that follows. Plus, to be honest, some parts I just didn't like. Too dark in this or that scene. Minor stuff really but they add up.

Alright thanks for the replies everyone. It feels like they could have put Bolg there instead and his motive being killing Thorin to avenge his father.

(I was honestly hoping for a Dwarf to die so that I could find myself caring about what happened in the film.)
    And this right here is where it shows you have no idea what you speak of. He follows the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Why would it be wrong to kill a human being?
    Quote Originally Posted by fanjodaman View Post
    You have a tiny brain. There's you're insult.
    Pateu's postulate: '' As an online discussion about RPGs or sci fi grows longer, the probability of a comparison or bashing involving Mass Effect 3 approaches 1. ''

Well, I loved the movie and I love how it's following closely to the book. I call it a warm up movie, as it really gets going in the second and third movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    A different orc leads the horde in the battle of 5 armies, so no he has no place there. It's simply better for cinema if you have a tiny plot giving more characterization beyond "random orc attacks yay!"
    I thought I saw somewhere that Azog's son (Bolg) is planned to appear in the trilogy. So, it may be one of those "Azog dies from Thain, Bolg takes over leadership of the goblins and orcs starts the 'The Battle of Five Armies' in the last movie of the trio.

I rate it 10, but I think LOTR is the best movies ever made (yet), and I generally want more fantasy movies (something truly lacking, and nobody got the memo after LOTR it seems, besides The Dark Knight http://moviecriticassassins.com/essa...han-you-think/,) so take that as you want.

We all have different opinions, apparently even more so when it comes to The Hobbit, although I think that is somewhat fueled by the critics not praising it to the skies like the LOTR trilogy, so people who didn't like LOTR all that much in the first place has become brave enough to express their opinion on The Hobbit.

I don't see 6/10 as a justification, although my 1-10 rating system is based around 7 being a solid "good movie", 6 being a "just enough good to beat the bad overall", and 5 to be a "just bad enough movie to beat the good overall".

Random tip for people who haven't seen it or those seeing it again.

I read a suggestion from another viewer to ignore the film during the Riddles in the Dark and literally closer your eyes. I will agree the scene was too light and let you see too much where it really should have felt more difficult to see. Riddles "in the dark" after all.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

Alright thanks for the replies everyone. It feels like they could have put Bolg there instead and his motive being killing Thorin to avenge his father.
    Bolg is still going to be in the movies as stated previously, so he probably has a(nother) role to play.

I rate it 10, but I think LOTR is the best movies ever made (yet), and I generally want more fantasy movies (something truly lacking, and nobody got the memo after LOTR it seems, besides The Dark Knight http://moviecriticassassins.com/essa...han-you-think/,) so take that as you want.

We all have different opinions, apparently even more so when it comes to The Hobbit, although I think that is somewhat fueled by the critics not praising it to the skies like the LOTR trilogy, so people who didn't like LOTR all that much in the first place has become brave enough to express their opinion on The Hobbit.

I don't see 6/10 as a justification, although my 1-10 rating system is based around 7 being a solid "good movie", 6 being a "just enough good to beat the bad overall", and 5 to be a "just bad enough movie to beat the good overall".
    Actually a lot of the critics that praised LOTR are giving The Hobbit bad reviews. I think it's because they are comparing it to much to LOTR. It shouldn't be. It's based on a more lighthearted book.

That does seem like an odd choice of PJ's too. However, it may make a lot more sense once we see the next two movies.