View Poll Results: Dwarf

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thorin Oakenshield

    49 32.67%
  • Balin

    21 14.00%
  • Bifur

    4 2.67%
  • Bofur

    7 4.67%
  • Bombur

    18 12.00%
  • Dori

    1 0.67%
  • Dwalin

    16 10.67%
  • Fili

    5 3.33%
  • Kili

    18 12.00%
  • Gloin

    8 5.33%
  • Nori

    1 0.67%
  • Oin

    0 0%
  • Ori

    2 1.33%
Page 64 of 108 FirstFirst ...
14
54
62
63
64
65
66
74
... LastLast
  1. #1261
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    I was expecting a little more fighting (fierce dwarven combat, not fleeing) - only redeeming part was towards the end in this matter.
    As was mentioned in the start of the movie when they first came to Bilbo's house, they aren't warriors. And the typical response for a non-warrior is to flee for their lives.

    I will agree with Radagast. The long stream of dried bird poo on his face was a bit unneeded.

  2. #1262
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    As was mentioned in the start of the movie when they first came to Bilbo's house, they aren't warriors. And the typical response for a non-warrior is to flee for their lives.

    I will agree with Radagast. The long stream of dried bird poo on his face was a bit unneeded.
    Anyway, what could they have done? 13 dwarves, a hobbit and a wizard against countless orcs in Goblintown... Yes, I would have fled too. Just like the Fellowship of the Ring fled in Moria.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  3. #1263
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Damn, I loved it! The ending was a little sudden I feel. I though we were half way through the movie, thinking there is going to be a small break, but the movie actually ended. 3 hours went so fast!

    Definately will be another 1-2 movies to continue the story, no doubt about it.
    Next one will probably start with Gandalf n Bilbo meeting Beorn.



    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    The Hobbit has gotten miserable ratings because it put in way too much filler content, so much so that the first half of the movie was tiresome. If I was Peter, I would have cut out about 35 minutes worth of footage. I am a die-hard fan, and I watched all the vlogs multiple times, but I LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP about an hour into the movie.
    You don't like Bombur? How do you sleep at night!?
    Last edited by Summerdrake; 2012-12-20 at 01:18 AM.

  4. #1264
    Saw it today in the 3D HFR, love it. Was my first time seeing a HFR movie (not sure if there are even others out there). The first few scenes it was like I was right there on the set. Couldn't tell it was a movie. The movie was a tad slow, but I enjoyed that. Tons of memories from my youth reading the book multiple times over.
    Have A Nice Day (HVND)

  5. #1265
    Dreadlord KDSwain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    does anyone know if peter jackson will do the similiarion movie after the hobbit is finished
    From what I understand the Tolkien family is not very happy with PJ's films (why I don't understand) and will never allow him to make another film. It would actually be helpful in this trilogy if he could use some of the info from The Similiarion but the family has forbid it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

  6. #1266
    The Patient ojg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    306
    I really liked the movie, the only thing is that there were way too much random stuff, like the fighting mountains. 3 mountains transforming to 3 stone giants, that randomly starts fighting and throwing huge rocks at each other, makes no sence imo.

  7. #1267
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    From what I understand the Tolkien family is not very happy with PJ's films (why I don't understand) and will never allow him to make another film. It would actually be helpful in this trilogy if he could use some of the info from The Similiarion but the family has forbid it.
    If they know so well, why don't they make a movie themselves? Or are they going to sit on it indefinitely being selfish like Smaug on his treasure?...

  8. #1268
    Dreadlord KDSwain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    He's not in the book, it's just Jackson messing with several timelines and the overall lore so that he can justify stretching a 300 page book in to 3 movies. I was kind of hoping the characters would be better fleshed out. In the book they were pretty 1 sided and boring and Jackson had the chance to change that but judging by movie he didn't and probably won't. He seems more concerned filling up the run time with unnecessary/unnecessarily long scenes, such as the pale orc storyline, the long stone giant scene, the frodo cameo at the beginning of the movie, the list goes on and on. All this additions just lead to a poorly paced movie.
    Also remember that the Battle of the Five Armies is not in The Hobbit. Bilbo gets bonked on the head and gets knocked out. When he comes to, the battle is over with the Dwarves, Men and Elves victorious. You had to use your imagination to picture what the battle looked like.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 09:39 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    If they know so well, why don't they make a movie themselves? Or are they going to sit on it indefinitely being selfish like Smaug on his treasure?...
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...n-family-47841

    Again, I don't understand this. I thought PJ did very well with the story. It is nearly exactly as the books read with only minor changes to enhance it for the screen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

  9. #1269
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...n-family-47841

    Again, I don't understand this. I thought PJ did very well with the story. It is nearly exactly as the books read with only minor changes to enhance it for the screen.
    Meh... I can completely understand why they wouldn't like LOTR. Tolkien's books are not just a story to them. Its his legacy. Anything other than a completely faithful reproduction of the books would likely be a disappointment to them.

  10. #1270
    HELL YEAH! It's COOL!

  11. #1271
    Herald of the Titans Porimlys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ojg View Post
    I really liked the movie, the only thing is that there were way too much random stuff, like the fighting mountains. 3 mountains transforming to 3 stone giants, that randomly starts fighting and throwing huge rocks at each other, makes no sence imo.
    That was actually in the book.

  12. #1272
    The Hobbit was amazing. Hats off to everyone involved in the making of it.

  13. #1273
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    That was actually in the book.
    Ye it was, had to start re-reading it too remember it, it was like on paragraph, they made an awesome scene out of it.
    personally, I loved it, it feels like a real hearth fire story, mostly just a nice story, nothing too exciting but not too boring either.

  14. #1274
    I loved the movie. I've read the book, so I knew what to expect, and so I wasn't bored or disappointed. There is a lot more action and things happening on a grander scale in LOTR, so the movies are of course more "epic".
    Mother pus bucket!

  15. #1275
    Meh, a lot of unneeded extras in there. While I didn't mind Radagast, it takes A LOT away from Beorn, and what makes him extremely special. Also, did they really have to put the whole Azog chasing aspect into the movie? I mean shit, why can't they have an adventure turn sour because of bad luck, but no, some underlying evil dude has to be there (I mean shit, Azog dies in the battle where Thorin's father dies). So that made no sense to me.

    Also, the reason Gandalf wanted the company to go to Rivendell was because of the threat of Dol Guldur and the Necromancer (Sauron), they had a white council to discuss it. Kinda like the One Ring in LOTR. They didn't all meet there by chance. How Gandalf got the the key, and learned of Sauron in Dol Guldur was of importance. Radagast took that away as well.

    The end bothered me too, but it was more of a culmination of changes that led to Thorin doing that stupid shit, and I wanted to see Gwaihir!
    -You are now breathing manually-

  16. #1276
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    I am a die-hard fan, and I watched all the vlogs multiple times, but I LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP about an hour into the movie.

    I rate the first half of the movie a D-
    I rate the second half of the movie an A-

    Disappointed? Yeah you could say that.
    You literally fell asleep an hour into the movie? That means you didn't see over half of it. You're giving an A- to sleeping? No wonder you're disappointed, you shouldn't have gone if you prefer sleeping over a movie.

  17. #1277
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    The Hobbit has gotten miserable ratings because it put in way too much filler content, so much so that the first half of the movie was tiresome. If I was Peter, I would have cut out about 35 minutes worth of footage. I am a die-hard fan, and I watched all the vlogs multiple times, but I LITERALLY FELL ASLEEP about an hour into the movie.

    I rate the first half of the movie a D-
    I rate the second half of the movie an A-

    Disappointed? Yeah you could say that.
    They're actually making a Weakling Edition (or something along those lines) that cuts off 35 minutes, and EE that adds 25 minutes.
    Since I would only ever watch LOTR in EE version, I was happy that I didn't need to wait an year for the real movie.
    Belief can become reality!

  18. #1278
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Meh, a lot of unneeded extras in there. While I didn't mind Radagast, it takes A LOT away from Beorn, and what makes him extremely special. Also, did they really have to put the whole Azog chasing aspect into the movie? I mean shit, why can't they have an adventure turn sour because of bad luck, but no, some underlying evil dude has to be there (I mean shit, Azog dies in the battle where Thorin's father dies). So that made no sense to me.

    Also, the reason Gandalf wanted the company to go to Rivendell was because of the threat of Dol Guldur and the Necromancer (Sauron), they had a white council to discuss it. Kinda like the One Ring in LOTR. They didn't all meet there by chance. How Gandalf got the the key, and learned of Sauron in Dol Guldur was of importance. Radagast took that away as well.

    The end bothered me too, but it was more of a culmination of changes that led to Thorin doing that stupid shit, and I wanted to see Gwaihir!
    Yeah, Jackson changed a lot of stuff that didn't need to be changed, in my opinion at least.

  19. #1279
    Warchief Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    2,154
    word on the street is that the movie is really slow and bloated for the first 2 hours and then the last 45 minutes kicks up in gear.


    also a lot of people say its fellow ship of the ring version 2.0




    is this true?
    Milk was a bad choice.

    2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

  20. #1280
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    is this true?
    Meh... Opinions will vary I'm sure. I liked it but wasn't terribly impressed. It did remind me of the first LOTR a lot but it should because its from PJ too. I think my biggest recomendation would be to actually not see it at 48fps. Supposedly that makes the CGI bits much more noticeable or something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •