• Nori

1 0.53%
  • Oin

0 0%
  • Ori

2 1.05%
Page 70 of 118 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There is still SO much content to cover, and that's just the book content. If you add in all the new (And parts of the story that are being done more in-depth) stuff; Dol'Guldur (Necromancer/Witch King/White Council), Azog, Goblin King ... They have MORE then enough content to span 2 movies with utter ease, especially in typical Peter Jackson fashion. Extremely, extremely glad it's 3 movies.

I, like most, have absolutely no idea where they're going to end movie 2. There's alot of stuff to achieve over the 2 movies but Unexpected Journey ended at a really nice spot to kick off into movie 2. So all I can say is simply don't be worried, PJ will find a suitable place to end it and it will be suitably epic.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    IIRC they WERE all done and they went back to shoot some extended edition stuff.
    I'm pretty certain that they did all of the actual shooting at the same time and then saved special features like interviews and touching up editing, as well as make changes based on the responses to the previous movie released for the following years.

One thing I just thought of.. does anyone else think its hypocritical how much some critics are bashing The Hobbit for its minute inaccuracies, while they glorified Lord of the Rings as one of the best film series of all time? That series was far, far, far from perfect.
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

I saw The Hobbit last Sunday and was very pleased with it. The 48 fps was surprising at first, but I got used to it pretty quick. The movie did not seem too long for me, although some scenes were not as good is I expected, and those were the ones showing events that were added to the book. I'm disappointed, because I really anticipated some of those additions, like the White Council's meeting. However, I liked very much how they showed Erebor and Dale in their golden age. Erebor was impressive, and Jackson managed to depict a pretty decent Dale with its many bells (which is one of the only things we know of that city's architecture). Smaug's onslaught was also very impressive. I don't know why they added Azog, he seems a pretty weak addition. He could not be there and the story would be mostly unchanged. At least for now. And Gandalf's question remains unanswered : how did he know about the dwarves' journey? The riddles in the dark were well played, and in a more dynamic way that is more consistent with the Gollum we know from LotR.

I liked Martin Freeman as Bilbo. As for the the Dwarves, only three get real attention, but it is to be expected when you have thirteen characters to devellop. So Thorin, Balin and Bofur got more attention in this movie. Of the three, I really liked Bofur (especially when he describes the effects of a dragon's breath...). Fili and Kili seems like the Merry and Pippin of the group. They had some attention in this movie, but I bet we will see much more of them since we know they will both die in the Battle of Five Armies. Rhadagast was funny, made to please a younger audience, but the bird poop was a little too much. We should see him again in the next movies, since he's part of the White Council. Hugo Weaving managed to play a far better Elrond than he did in LotR.

So, all in all it was a pretty good flick, that does not deserve some of the lukewarm critics it recieved. Now, I will have to wait 12 long months before the next episode.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Watched the movie again. During the part where Bilbo is giving the history of Erebor, they do show female dwarves. But, my previous comment seems to have been false. I originally mentioned this, that they showed female dwarves and they had NO beards. Alas, I was wrong. They do have beards, but they are fairly wispy and sparse (more so than Ori's beard), but it looks like they don't have mustaches.

Still a very great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk123 View Post
    Smaug will die in movie 2.

Leaving the "Battle of 5 armies" and The Necromancer for part 3
    That's what I was thinking too. Though I hope they make the death Smaug more epic than it was in the book. I realize it was the culmination of a bunch of things but it was just so...sudden in the book.

The movie seemed a little too "fun" to me. It wasn't so much a gloom and doom like lotr. But then the book is pretty much just like that. I just hope they get the feel of the forest more dark and foreboding.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    The movie seemed a little too "fun" to me. It wasn't so much a gloom and doom like lotr. But then the book is pretty much just like that. I just hope they get the feel of the forest more dark and foreboding.
    Since the book got darker and more serious the longer they went on their journey, I hope and think that it will be shown in the upcoming movies too.
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Since the book got darker and more serious the longer they went on their journey, I hope and think that it will be shown in the upcoming movies too.
    They did the same for LotR trilogy so I'd assume it gets a bit more serious as they progress to its climax.

I'm such a happy camper, they could do so much with this universe. New Zealand is beautiful too, I actually want to go there and just scale those mountains.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

Loved the movie so much. Saw it in 3D and it made me feel like a kid again. Did anyone else feel like they were watching the "Warcraft Movie" at the beginning with the dwarf intro, both me and bro said dude this feels like "iron Forge"

Quote Originally Posted by jdbjr3314 View Post
    Loved the movie so much. Saw it in 3D and it made me feel like a kid again. Did anyone else feel like they were watching the "Warcraft Movie" at the beginning with the dwarf intro, both me and bro said dude this feels like "iron Forge"
    Guess what Ironforge was based on?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Guess what Ironforge was based on?
    Erebor xD i remember reading that a few years ago and then when i typed that on Wikipedia i got too the Hobbit :P
    |Asus Rampage IV Formula|GeIL 16 GB DDR3-1600 Kit|Intel i7-3930K|EVGA GTX680 Hydro Copper|OCZ VTX4-512G x2|Corsair HX1050|Cosmos II|ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT|Astro A40|Logitech Z-5500|Custom Watercooling System|
    ~ Sta op voor de kampioen! 2013-2014 ~ Friend Code - 4785-6590-2958, Friend Safari "Ghost" - Pumpkaboo, Lampent, ???

as someone whos never read the books or follows lotr/hobbit like other fans, i enjoyed the movie. sometimes its hard to get into a movie that follows a series of books without getting lost and the producers of these movies did quite well. im glad the guy who plays bilbo baggins got the part for the movie, he was awesome in the bbc series sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    as someone whos never read the books or follows lotr/hobbit like other fans, i enjoyed the movie. sometimes its hard to get into a movie that follows a series of books without getting lost and the producers of these movies did quite well. im glad the guy who plays bilbo baggins got the part for the movie, he was awesome in the bbc series sherlock.
    You should see him (Martin Freeman) in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, he's brilliant in that one! At first I was kinda hesitant about having him as Bilbo, simply because I didn't know of any of the actors in LotR when I first saw FotR (apart from Gandalf/Elrond), and I wanted them to keep using rather unknown actors for the characters that don't need an old actor, since a lot old actors are well known ^^ But damn he did a splendid job potraying Bilbo.
    singin' lalalalalalala

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    You should see him (Martin Freeman) in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
    OMG.... I never realized that was him! Never occurred to me at all ><

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    OMG.... I never realized that was him! Never occurred to me at all ><
    Haha, it's actually the only thing I've seen him in before
    singin' lalalalalalala

Finally went and saw it last night. Loved it. Thorin is such a badass. And I think Gandalf did more awesome stuff in that than he did in all 3 LOTR movies combined, except for maybe when he fought the Balrog.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

Quote Originally Posted by badhairday View Post
    you should see him (martin freeman) in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy,
    o.o .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    If that's the case, then those who found that An Unexpected Journey was slow paced will find the second movie to be too fast and filled. Beorn, Mirkwood with the spiders, the escape from the Elven King's palace, the trip in the barrels to Laketown, the travel to Erebor, Bilbo's encounter with Smaug, the Battle against Smaug and however they choose to end it. While the third movie wont have much material. The Necromancer, the armies of Men and Elves lay siege to Erebor, Bilbo's theft of the Arkenstone and flight to the Men and Elves where he meets Gandalf, the Battle of Five Armies, the return of Bilbo. The End. I admit that's much events, but they are not very long (except for the Necromancer and Battle of Five Armies.
    This is honestly is why it might have been better as two movies, they could have cut out the unneeded filler fluff, and packed each of the two movies to be a nice long 3 hour movie and then left a lot of the fluff for the extended edition.

I don't mind 3 movies, but it seems like no matter how they do it one movie will have too much material to cover and the other not enough. I will just have to wait and see, I enjoyed the AUJ enough to the point where I will trust Jackson's decision with the next two.

Went to see it today, was awesome. Cgi was really bad in some points imo especially the part with the wizard on the sledge getting chased by worgs lotr had better cgi imo. Aside from that it was awesome and i still loved every moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Went to see it today, was awesome. Cgi was really bad in some points imo especially the part with the wizard on the sledge getting chased by worgs lotr had better cgi imo. Aside from that it was awesome and i still loved every moment!
    Eeeehhh ... Some things are opinion, and other things are fact. Fact is that this had better CGI then LOTR. It would be like comparing 'Return of the Jedi' with Revenge of the Sith' .... Opinion - Return of the Jedi is the far better movie ... Fact - Revenge of the Sith CGI is leaps and bounds better. (And if you say that's unfair then even Phantom Menace VS ROTJ, Phantom Menace would still win CGI-wise)

I'll give you that moment though, when he's getting chased on the Sled and he like goes past 2 Outcrops and then the Sled does like a 'Flick' at the Camera and you see his cape kind of 'Pop out' in 3D. That was probably the one (And only) moment where I did cringe at the CGI. But Trolls in ROTK VS the 3 in The Hobbit? Smaug VS Felbeasts? Wargs VS Wargs? .. I could go on, but the CGI is most certainly better in The Hobbit.
    Last edited by Daverid; 2013-01-05 at 10:11 AM.