Poll: Dwarf

Page 44 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Very great movie. I kept thinking "This is probably where they will end it" only for it to continue on. At first I thought it would end before they went to Goblin Town (thus before Gollum) but then I remembered that part was in this movie.

My ONLY complaint, is that they didn't have something along the lines of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ
    They included "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates" and "Over the Misty Mountains", which were both in the book, but no inclusion of Down to Goblin Town, which was in the book. Maybe it was a portion that had to be cut and will make it into the extended version of the dvd. It was the best part of the old 1977 animated film, and I was so hoping for something similar in this movie. My only disappointment.

The Goblin King had amazing vocal clarity, which was nice. And he was pretty freaky looking. I didn't think that I would actually end up liking the Goblin King as much as I did. And unfortunately, my theater didn't have the 48 framerate, which I was looking forward to as well.

Oh, and being nearly 3 hours long, definitely made spending the $7 for a matinee ticket (11:30 am showing) well worth it. "$7 dollars??? Holy shit that's cheap!" Yeah, I know. But expensive as hell when you compare it to 3 years ago, when an early (pre 430pm start time) showing used to cost $4.50

10+ Year Old Account
    Good movie. My bro didn't like it due to lack of boobs and linear plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I got Pacific Rim, After Earth, and Warm Bodies, and one of my friends who saw it in a different theater got Star Trek, Superman, and Jack the Giant Slayer.
    15 minutes or so of trailers for me. I got Epic, Pacific Rim (why exactly was GlaDOS in there?), Star Trek, Jack the Giant Slayer, Man of Steel... and I could have swore there was another one but can't remember the name of it.

Just got home from it, LOVED IT except......SPOILER

WTF is with Azog? He died in lore and had no part in the Hobbit, now he is a central antagonist?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Said screw it and saw the 48 fps version.. I personally loved it.

Great movie, IN MY OPINION it's better than the Lord of the Rings so far, at least to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm not quite sure about that... his incorporation of the rings of power in the Silmarillion indicates, at least from my perspective, that he always intended the ring to have a deeper purpose. I don't remember the exact date, but I'm fairly certain the first sketch of the Silmarillion was finished in the 1920's. Rings are a pretty important aspect of lore from his source material, and that the ring came from the darkest depths of the earth can be symbolic in itself.
    Remember that the Silmarillion was writen by Christopher Tolkien based on notes by his father well after The Lord of the Rings. Also, what we called today the Silmarillion is a collection of books : Aïnulidalë, Valaquenta, Quenta Silmarillion, Akallabêth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age. When J.R.R. Tolkien first wrote The Silmarillion (even before The Hobbit), it was about the War of the Jewels and that's it. When he wrote The Hobbit, the ring was just a magical trinket. It is when he began writing the sequel that he thought : "Hmm, where did that ring came from?". Then he had the idea of the rings of power, and the sequel became The Lord of the Rings. After LotR, he began revising The Silmarillion, but died before achieving his task. His son Christopher has assembled all his notes and all his stories about Middle-Earth and completed The Silmarillion.

The Hobbit was also revised to make it fit more with LotR. In the first edition, Gollum willingly gives the ring to Bilbo as a prize for winning the riddle game. He changed it so Bilbo stumbles upon the ring in Goblintown, and Gollum is more evil and aggressive. The story of the first edition is presented as a lie told by Bilbo in LotR, while the second edition presents the true account. There are also changes about the elves to make them fit more with The Silmarillion and LotR.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2012-12-15 at 05:07 AM.

the last time i was this disappointed in a movie, it had jar-jar binks in it. i loved the LoTR trilogy, i have no idea what this P.O.S. was. this movie was "straight to dvd" quality.

im in awe of how bad it was.

Don't forget your spoiler tags peeps (Although I really should be avoiding this thread altogether lol - Just interested in gathering more opinions, which have all been extremely positive yay!) ... Some of us live in the more retarded places of the world and don't get the release for awhile yet (TIME IS MOVING SOOOO SLOWLY, 11 FUCKING DAYS C'MON), my eyes had to do quite a bit of darting to avoid stuff from the last couple pages.

Critics are defs batshit cray, can't wait till my screening on Boxing Day morning.. NGGGHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    So, is anyone else as excited for this two part movie event as I am? I'm giddy as a school girl.

Part one is scheduled for release December 14, 2012 and will be titled "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey."

Part two is scheduled for release December 13, 2013 and will be titled "The Hobbit: There and Back Again."

Love the names, they're straight outta the book. Anyways if you want to keep up with Hobbit news/production check it out.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....81557&comments
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but you forget that there's 3 parts. An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013), and then There and Back Again (2014). I'm really excited to see what Smaug will look like in the movie

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw it at the very first showing where I live...first time I've ever stood in line for a movie lol. I and three friends sat in line for 6 hours for this, and we all agreed that it was totally worth it.

I loved the amount of humor they tossed in. It added a whole new enjoyment level to the movie. I was, however, extremely disappointed to find out this movie would be in three parts (I didn't know that before hand, sorry!). When the credits started rolling there at the end, I was miffed...the movie was really starting to pick up!

As for previews, we got Star Trek, After Earth, Jack the Giant Slayer, Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Superman, Iron Man 3, and possibly one or two more. I just remember that I really liked ALL of the movies they showed, 2013 has a lot of promise as far as the theater goes!
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-12-15 at 05:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Very great movie. I kept thinking "This is probably where they will end it" only for it to continue on. At first I thought it would end before they went to Goblin Town (thus before Gollum) but then I remembered that part was in this movie.

My ONLY complaint, is that they didn't have something along the lines of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTDa-vG2MQ
    They included "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates" and "Over the Misty Mountains", which were both in the book, but no inclusion of Down to Goblin Town, which was in the book. Maybe it was a portion that had to be cut and will make it into the extended version of the dvd. It was the best part of the old 1977 animated film, and I was so hoping for something similar in this movie. My only disappointment.

The Goblin King had amazing vocal clarity, which was nice. And he was pretty freaky looking. I didn't think that I would actually end up liking the Goblin King as much as I did. And unfortunately, my theater didn't have the 48 framerate, which I was looking forward to as well.

Oh, and being nearly 3 hours long, definitely made spending the $7 for a matinee ticket (11:30 am showing) well worth it. "$7 dollars??? Holy shit that's cheap!" Yeah, I know. But expensive as hell when you compare it to 3 years ago, when an early (pre 430pm start time) showing used to cost $4.50
    Down to goblin town was referenced, the goblin king sang part of the song in front of the dwarves after the riddles in the dark scene, and although it wasn't musicalesque it sounded like how a goblin would sing.

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterbee View Post
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but you forget that there's 3 parts. An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013), and then There and Back Again (2014). I'm really excited to see what Smaug will look like in the movie
    His post is from June of 2011, at that time there were only 2 parts.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    1) there is no Boromir
    2) there is no Aragorn
    3) there is no Rohan
    4) there is no Minas Tirith
    5) there is no Witch King.

I am not watching this.
    That's kinda weird to say...considering there's 60 years in between the Hobbit and LOTR. Also..just because the Witch-king of Angmar isn't mentioned doesn't mean he doesn't exist. He stayed out of the way until he learned from Gollum who had the ring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved it except for Jesus Action Eagle Squad at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Don't forget your spoiler tags peeps (Although I really should be avoiding this thread altogether lol - Just interested in gathering more opinions, which have all been extremely positive yay!) ... Some of us live in the more retarded places of the world and don't get the release for awhile yet (TIME IS MOVING SOOOO SLOWLY, 11 FUCKING DAYS C'MON), my eyes had to do quite a bit of darting to avoid stuff from the last couple pages.

Critics are defs batshit cray, can't wait till my screening on Boxing Day morning.. NGGGHHH
    Do it when you can, i saw the standard 2d version today and loved, there was a HFR 3d scheduled but it was too late for me today, i'll certainly get back there to see it, soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    But, the Witch King was mentioned !
    Ahh! I have been defeated!

I'm not usually "that guy" but there were some changes they made to the book that really really pissed me off. Most if not all the changes made in LOTR were passable and forgivable. However in The Hobbit many of the changes were character altering. Two scenes in particular with Bilbo take his character from an intelligent one to a bumbling one. Then we have the ending where the showdown was really unnecessary and accomplished nothing besides creating a relationship bond that never existed in the book.

Also I'm not really sure who this movie is aimed at. Children? Well with all the childish jokes I would guess that they are trying to appeal to that crowd. After all the Hobbit originally was a childrens book. However the beheadings kind of defeat the purpose of the childish jokes. Fans of the Book? Well like I said they changed so much that those people are going to be turned off and all the extra scenes are going to be lost on people who are only fans of the movies. Thats why the reviews have been so low because of the extra lore scenes.

I still enjoyed the film but not nearly as much as the LOTR trilogy. 7.5/10

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 05:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    We got all of those you listed up to Superman. Oblivion looks really interesting.
    Was I the only one that got 6+ trailers before the movie? Generally I see 4 max but it was a neverending flow of them tonight. Star Trek one was badass though.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Loved it except for Jesus Action Eagle Squad at the end.
    In the books the eagles play a fairly big part. They can both talk, and help them more along their journey. If Jackson keeps staying true to the story we will see far more of them in the second movie then we did in the first and LotR. If I am not mistaken it was also stated either by Tolkien or in the Hobbit that the eagles are the most intelligent creatures in Middle Earth. More then even the humans/elves/dwarves/Hobbits.

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterbee View Post
    That's kinda weird to say...considering there's 60 years in between the Hobbit and LOTR. Also..just because the Witch-king of Angmar isn't mentioned doesn't mean he doesn't exist. He stayed out of the way until he learned from Gollum who had the ring.
    Many of those characters listed didn't even exist in the Hobbit, but came around in LotR when Tolkien added them of characters of that story.

Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    Also I'm not really sure who this movie is aimed at. Children? Well with all the childish jokes I would guess that they are trying to appeal to that crowd.
    The jokes where like that because they came from the Dwarves. Dwarvish jokes are childish both in Tolkien lore and in typical fantasy, it's just how that race goes about things. Trying to give them "adultish" jokes would contradict so much and feel really off for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    In the books the eagles play a fairly big part. They can both talk, and help them more along their journey. If Jackson keeps staying true to the story we will see far more of them in the second movie then we did in the first and LotR. If I am not mistaken it was also stated either by Tolkien or in the Hobbit that the eagles are the most intelligent creatures in Middle Earth. More then even the humans/elves/dwarves/Hobbits.

Many of those characters listed didn't even exist in the Hobbit, but came around in LotR when Tolkien added them of characters of that story.

The jokes where like that because they came from the Dwarves. Dwarvish jokes are childish both in Tolkien lore and in typical fantasy, it's just how that race goes about things. Trying to give them "adultish" jokes would contradict so much and feel really off for the race.
    didn't have a problem with most of the dwarf jokes, it was nice to see some playfulness on screen. Humor can come in many forms, it can be slapstick, intelligent, clever, witty and immature. All types have their purposes and a healthy mix is nice. Most of the humor was immature in nature and in a movie that is more mature than the book it just doesn't work. I was annoyed by many of the dwarfs one liners but I didn't have a big problem with it for the reasons you mentioned.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Yeah I've read the books. I just don't like them because all they do is open up massive plot holes. Didn't like them in the books and didn't like them in the movies. In the Hobbit, they randomly come out and save everyone from Azog, then they leave them on top of a cliff, then they don't even have the courtesy to fly them all to the Lonely Mountain. Hate Super Action Eagle Squad.