Poll: Dwarf

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    also, why didnt the nazgul go all bat shit crazy when bilbo put on the ring. arent they supposed to sense it whenever someone puts it on?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    also, why didnt the nazgul go all bat shit crazy when bilbo put on the ring. arent they supposed to sense it whenever someone puts it on?
    They weren't brought forth by Sauron until he discovered where the Ring was in the Shire. Until then, they were guarding several of his fortresses within Mordor, leading the war against Minas Tirith and other kingdoms of men, as well as garrisoning his fortress in Mirkwood.

Went to see it last night in 3d & 48frames, will list my comments, for those who care .

First, the bad things. For me, most of the comic relief is quite unnecessary and kinda ruins the immersion. The Goblin King was just awful, way too clever and way too British for a goblin, and his "that ought to do it" moment (can't remember exactly what he said) made me groan. Also, I was very surprised that Azog's Goblins speak their own language in The Hobbit, while the orcs in the Lord of the Rings movies are just portrayed with English. The Goblin language didn't add much and just made it a bit more confusing, although that may have been written in The Hobbit, I can't remember. And since when does Dale look like a mediterranean city? I always felt it should be a much colder place, so far up north, and it didn't feel at all like my idea of Dale.

Second, the I'm-not-sure-about-these things. I don't know whether it was 3d or 48 frames, but some of the movement seemed too fast. Warg jumps, Bilbo talking, it all seemed unnaturally fast at certain times. Saruman wasn't portrayed as powerful as I hoped, Galadriel's mind-talk interruptions made him seem like a babbling fool instead of a wise and powerful wizard. However, Christopher Lee is still the best person to portray a wise bad guy in my opinion, so it's definitely not bad, just.. different, I guess. Also, the start with Frodo was a bit weird. it might work out nice if all six movies are watched together, but now it felt a bit off.

And best to save until last: the good things. I'm really happy with the way Martin Freeman plays Bilbo, he's a much nicer character to follow than Elijah's Frodo (although that may not be Elijah's fault, just the script) and he's very pleasant to watch. I was afraid to have the "Oh that's the guy from the Office"-feeling, but none of that. As always, the scenery is absolutely breathtaking and the locations have been well-chosen. The action scenes were grand: Erebor, Moria, the Goblin caves, all fantastic to watch. Azog and his white warg also looked pretty cool and Gollum & the riddles in the dark were great!

And my main surprise: the extra', the additional information taken from the appendices. I was very apprehensive at first, because of the whole "why three movies, why so much extra's", but I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. Most of the extras seem to make these movies into more of an introduction to Lord of the Rings. Through the introduction of additional characters (e.g. Saruman & Galadriel, who, as far as I know, are not written about explicitly in The Hobbit), the whole of the six movies will be a much nicer combination once this trilogy is finished.

All in all, an 8,5/10 in my opinion. A good introduction with useful extra's has left me hungry for more. Bring it on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sauron hasn't come into the form we see him in, in LotR, he is still is a very weakened state. This is why it is not so omnious and scary for Bilbo to put on the ring, and Im happy they made that clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    Sauron hasn't come into the form we see him in, in LotR, he is still is a very weakened state. This is why it is not so omnious and scary for Bilbo to put on the ring, and Im happy they made that clear.
    But still, the references while Radagast was in Dol Guldur were cool. ^.^
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    The casting out of the necromancer from Dol Guldur is going to be totally kickass, at least I hope so. It's almost a given that it'll be in the next film.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    Also, for those who have not seen LotR or read the books get an instant spoiler that Bilbo and Gandalf survive which may change their perspective on how they watch the next two movies in the same way those who have read the book are dreading the Battle of the Five Armies and might want to distance their feelings towards certain characters to avoid emotional breakdown.
    How so? The events in The Hobbit happen first, the part with Frodo and Bilbo in the beginning happen at the beginning of fellowship when they are getting ready for the party for Bilbo that starts off Fellowship. I'm not sure how they give anything away.

As for the eagles, iirc when the King of the eagles was a younger bird, Gandalf saved his life by healing him after he had gotten hit by an arrow. As a result Gandalf can ask for the help of the eagles and it will always be given.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Went to see it last night in 3d & 48frames, will list my comments, for those who care .

First, the bad things. For me, most of the comic relief is quite unnecessary and kinda ruins the immersion. The Goblin King was just awful, way too clever and way too British for a goblin, and his "that ought to do it" moment (can't remember exactly what he said) made me groan. Also, I was very surprised that Azog's Goblins speak their own language in The Hobbit, while the orcs in the Lord of the Rings movies are just portrayed with English. The Goblin language didn't add much and just made it a bit more confusing, although that may have been written in The Hobbit, I can't remember. And since when does Dale look like a mediterranean city? I always felt it should be a much colder place, so far up north, and it didn't feel at all like my idea of Dale.

Second, the I'm-not-sure-about-these things. I don't know whether it was 3d or 48 frames, but some of the movement seemed too fast. Warg jumps, Bilbo talking, it all seemed unnaturally fast at certain times. Saruman wasn't portrayed as powerful as I hoped, Galadriel's mind-talk interruptions made him seem like a babbling fool instead of a wise and powerful wizard. However, Christopher Lee is still the best person to portray a wise bad guy in my opinion, so it's definitely not bad, just.. different, I guess.
    My experience was mixed in same way. I hate the way they portrayed Saruman. They have the perfect actor and the perfect outline for a really interesting character. A powerfull being who craved so much for knowledge and order that it became his downfall. He managed to decieve some of the wisest ppl of Middelearth - Elfs and wizards who have lived for centurys and seen such a huge betrayel. Pj`s version is transparant and simple. Apparently Gandalf have allready seen trough it, wich isnt surprising - but still odd, when you think of the events to come.
    Didnt like Radagast as a babbling idiot either. Rumors say that he is going to play a key part in the Dol Guldur confrontation - hopefully he wont be pulling a Jar jar (or turning into a Moth).
    Not to fond of the Dwarfs as skilled warriors. They are much more vulnerable in the book - wich makes the world seem more dangerous, and Bilbos stealth abilitys (and magic ring) more handy. It does accumulate some action scenes ofcourse. But i could have lived with less of the many predictable actionscenes and ideally - more suspense.

Still, even though these things annoyed me - i enjoyed most of the movie. I think it was worth the money, and im going to se the next parts. Gandalf was spot on as usualy. Bilbo was perfect - and the prologue, introducing the dwarfs, was awesome. Gollum was great as well. His Facial expression was amazing. WETA did a great job. Imagine if they decided to make a 100% animated Silmarilion movie - wow.
    Would prolly give the movie ~6/10. But 8.5/10 for entertaining value.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i thought the dwarf prologue and the dwarf orc moria battle were the best bits to watch
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Been a big (and wonderful) day, spent the whole day at the shops and watched The Hobbit twice.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Watched the first time in 48 FPS and the second in 24 ... I never would watch in 24 Again, Fuck the retard reviewers stuck in some stupid 'traditional cinema' (My eyes adjusted IMMEDIATELY, straight away it just felt awesome and normal). Everytime a CGI character walked onto the screen, it looked VASTLY superior in 48FPS. EVERY action sequence/fighting scene was far more glorious and breathtaking to behold. Not only that, but where you might think the 24FPS would shine, in the simple talking sequences, they were about equal. Absolutely no reason to watch in 24FPS, every part of the movie is either the same quality or superior in 48.

I don't think this should become the norm for ALL Films, and there's certainly improvements to be made, but I really think smart directors should start considering 48-60FPS especially for heavily action orientated movies as it's a far better way of viewing.

No movie is without flaws, even movies like the LOTR Trilogy and now of course The Hobbit. There's parts they changed/added/removed from LOTR that I went 'WUT?' at, and there was parts of Unexpected Journey that was the same. However just like LOTR it found a way to change/remove/add, but keep all the necessary story elements in tack and portray everything in a correct way. I certainly wouldn't say it's better then Fellowship of the Ring (That's my favourite of my favourite trilogy, so it's damn hard to beat), but I'd say that Movie VS Movie, it beats ROTK. It was amusing reading reviewers complain about how Gandalf would show up time and time again and save the 'Party', and when I watched each moment I simply just had a massive grin on my face because I KNEW it was coming, that was exactly how it happened in the book and if he had changed it I would have been more annoyed.

It's absolutely disgraceful that the movie sits at 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I hope and pray that nobody ever snobs up the opportunity to watch the movie based off it's reviews, because it's WAY WAY WAY WAY better then that. The only movie that even comes close to the caliber of this movie since the original LOTR trilogy was 'The Dark Knight', and even then I'd put Unexpected Journey above it. It was refreshing to get a legitimate 10/10 movie which we've only had 1 of in the last 10 years.

Totally buying a pair of these, when they release for Australia in Feb, for my 4-5 viewings of Desolation and There and back Again next year and then 6 months later - http://www.oakley.com/innovation/opt...eriority/hdo3d
    Last edited by Daverid; 2012-12-26 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    fuck yeah, channel4 is showing the whole LOTR trilogy, and ive booked to go and see the hobbit on saturday. a good week for me

Seen it twice now(just got back in) and I think it's good entertainment but it's not amazing imo, 7/10. Havn't read the book in ages so don't remember that much but the story of this movie doesn't really have me spellbound. Extremly well made though and as I said good entertainment, NZ is a lovely country though, there are some god damn beautiful nature scenes.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    fuck yeah, channel4 is showing the whole LOTR trilogy, and ive booked to go and see the hobbit on saturday. a good week for me
    ffff. WHEN!?

I must watch this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, go get the extended versions for maximum enjoyment! :>
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    First, the bad things. For me, most of the comic relief is quite unnecessary and kinda ruins the immersion. The Goblin King was just awful, way too clever and way too British for a goblin, and his "that ought to do it" moment (can't remember exactly what he said) made me groan. Also, I was very surprised that Azog's Goblins speak their own language in The Hobbit, while the orcs in the Lord of the Rings movies are just portrayed with English. The Goblin language didn't add much and just made it a bit more confusing, although that may have been written in The Hobbit, I can't remember.
    The whole movie / book is Bilbo telling a story. Bilbo was not in the fight with the Goblin King so all he have heard from what happened he have gotten told by some drunk dwarves at a party. I can guarantee that they would exaggerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    Also, for those who have not seen LotR or read the books get an instant spoiler that Bilbo and Gandalf survive which may change their perspective on how they watch the next two movies in the same way those who have read the book are dreading the Battle of the Five Armies and might want to distance their feelings towards certain characters to avoid emotional breakdown.
    You kinda get that in every film where someone tells their own story about their life. It would be pretty difficult for them to tell the stories if they were dead dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Didnt like Radagast as a babbling idiot either. Rumors say that he is going to play a key part in the Dol Guldur confrontation - hopefully he wont be pulling a Jar jar (or turning into a Moth).
    Not to fond of the Dwarfs as skilled warriors. They are much more vulnerable in the book - wich makes the world seem more dangerous, and Bilbos stealth abilitys (and magic ring) more handy. It does accumulate some action scenes ofcourse. But i could have lived with less of the many predictable actionscenes and ideally - more suspense.

Still, even though these things annoyed me - i enjoyed most of the movie. I think it was worth the money, and im going to se the next parts. Gandalf was spot on as usualy. Bilbo was perfect - and the prologue, introducing the dwarfs, was awesome. Gollum was great as well. His Facial expression was amazing. WETA did a great job. Imagine if they decided to make a 100% animated Silmarilion movie - wow.
    Would prolly give the movie ~6/10. But 8.5/10 for entertaining value.
    I agree with a lot of this, but I kind of like Radagast, it's a movie for +11 yo and he fits the bill for that, a bit of a silly character to bring out some chuckles. Can't remember much from the book though, could have toned down the warrior elements of the dwarfs I guess, but I think they managed to create a decent mix of skilled warriors and not so skilled ones.... the slingshot scene for example
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    However just like LOTR it found a way to change/remove/add, but keep all the necessary story elements in tack and portray everything in a correct way.
    Meh, I disagree on the grounds that he ruined Faramir's character... but in general you are correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Meh, I disagree on the grounds that he ruined Faramir's character... but in general you are correct.
    But the change to Faramir makes sense. They build up the corruption of the ring and shows how easily Boromir gets corrupted by it, if they then went on to have Frodo meet a person that is basically "meh" about it it would ruin the whole thing. I think the change was a good one.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Watching this movie in cinema made me feel like a little kid when I saw Willow for the first time (most magical fantasy movie ever, watch Willow now!). I was worried I would never relive such magical feeling in my life again (LOTR was great but it wasn't magical in the way Willow was) and how was I wrong. Hobbit gave me once again that incredible feeling and in my eyes beats LOTR by far. It's 100x times better than I thought it would be (really had bad feeling some weeks ago) and was just perfect (well maybe except the scenes when the dwarfs glorified Bilbo like 2 times in a row, was kinda strange). I will remember this movie for certains scenes, moments, something I haven't experience since I was a child watching movies like Willow, original Star Wars, Labyrinth, Legend or Battle for Endor. Thank you PJ you brought out the kid in me!

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    But the change to Faramir makes sense. They build up the corruption of the ring and shows how easily Boromir gets corrupted by it, if they then went on to have Frodo meet a person that is basically "meh" about it it would ruin the whole thing. I think the change was a good one.
    See I don't agree with the "logic" of that at all. That was the whole point of Faramir's character... that he was one of the few people who were able resist the ring. In the book when I read that part my reaction wasn't "OMRG the ring is Weak" it was "wow, Faramir has a strong sense of self and is rather wise".