Poll: Dwarf

Page 7 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TraksSuns View Post
    Thats awesome. I really, really hope that they will release Thranduil and Bard.
    This, Bard has to have epic casting... also I really want to know who is going to be doing Smaug's voice!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Ok, so in my copy Frodo and Sam are having a meal with Faramir and Sam gets to talking and mentions that Boromir wanted the ring and that it was probably in Lorien that Boromir decided he wanted the "Enemy's Ring". From there Faramir works out that Boromir probably tried to take the ring by force and that Sam and Frodo escaped somehow. It is a couple paragraphs after this that he says the bit about even if he found it laying on the ground he would not pick it up.

---------- Post added 2011-07-09 at 12:48 AM ----------

I am pretty sure that they did not have Mithril in their possession until after Smaug's lair. My impression was that they were sort of poorer dwarves on the outs trying to reclaim their old riches.
    I really need to reread the hobbit but I believe these dwarfs were the only ones to escape smaug which explains why they have on light armor. After escaping Gandalf meets up with them and leads them to poor ol bilbo and the story then commences.

---------- Post added 2011-07-15 at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    Not true, in the original printing the ring was just a magic ring that turned people invisible. After Bilbo won the ring in the riddle competition, him and Gollum just went their seperate ways. It wasn't until after LOTR had been published and Tolkien had went back and edited The Hobbit to include the rings corruptive effects on it's holder do we see the ending of that encounter that has Gollum screaming and raving about hating Bilbo. It's true that you don't find out about the ring past until LOTR (in publication dates.), but Tolkien changed The Hobbit to reflect his new book.
    Um bilbo tricked golumn in a game of riddle by asking what was in his pocket. Golumn got mad cause if he had won he was going to eat bilbo. Golumn went back to his hut to find the ring and kill bilbo anyway. Couldn't find the ring remembered when he lost it went back to bilbo but bilbo was gone. Golumn then assumed bilbo had discovered a way out and golumn went toward the exit. Bilbo who had put the ring on at that point followed Golumn tot eh exit, just before leaving bilbo made some kind of remark which alerted golumn that he had been tricked and that bilbo had the ring. At that point he left his cave looking for bilbo but never found him. He did however get found by Orcs I believe who took him to mordor and thats where the LOTR picks up. But the original poster is correct because the ring was just a ring that turned him invisible no history was ever given about the ring which is why LOTR was written.

I believe its mentioned in the book that Golumn used the ring to hunt the orcs that inhabited his cave system. He called bilbo a thief for taking his precious he hated him for stealing it nothing more. f you came to my house and took my computer I would hate you as well.

As an interesting note, while working at oxford one of Tolkien's students turned in a paper incomplete with only one line on it. "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

---------- Post added 2011-07-15 at 08:15 PM ----------

So at work our elevators have a screen that scrolls through news headlines and weather and sometimes Words of the Day. Well Today's word is apparently Bilbo, which is another word for ankle shackles. Which as I got thinking about it is interesting, considering when we first meet Bilbo he is completely hunkered down and quite content to live in Bag End for the rest of his life. But then Gandalf kicks him out of his hole and he goes on this great adventure and is never the same again. Idk was interesting to me.
    Tolkien was a word scholar and was the main driving point for writing all the middle earth lore. He loved words. So im betting thats why he named him bilbo. Gotta love tolkein the man was a true genius.
    Last edited by theturn; 2011-07-15 at 08:21 PM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the book and I enjoy most of Peter Jackson's films so I am very excited!

This, Bard has to have epic casting... also I really want to know who is going to be doing Smaug's voice!
    Those roles have been cast for a while. Smaug will be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch and Bard the Bowman will be played by Luke Evans.

I've been getting really excited about The Hobbit ever since I heard they were making it, and became even more excited after watching the bonus features from the Special Edition LOTR that was just released.

Even though the dwarf designs were a little jarring at first, they've really, really grown on me.

I can't wait to see what they do with Smaug. I'm hoping that they go with something similar to Tolkien, Alan Lee and John Howe's paintings/sketches. Lee's paintings of him are my favourite though.

I've been in a fantasy mood, so I've been testing out different designs for Smaug and this is what I've come up with. Yes, I know his wings are missing. It was a big blunder on my part. It was a poorly planned image, and when it came time to paint the wings, they looked terrible no matter what I did, so I left them out. Plus the wings would've covered up his pretty red scales and fish-like frills. I'll probably end up doing another painting of him later on, with a better pose of course. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I've been getting really excited about The Hobbit ever since I heard they were making it, and became even more excited after watching the bonus features from the Special Edition LOTR that was just released.

Even though the dwarf designs were a little jarring at first, they've really, really grown on me.

I can't wait to see what they do with Smaug. I'm hoping that they go with something similar to Tolkien, Alan Lee and John Howe's paintings/sketches. Lee's paintings of him are my favourite though.

I've been in a fantasy mood, so I've been testing out different designs for Smaug and this is what I've come up with. Yes, I know his wings are missing. It was a big blunder on my part. It was a poorly planned image, and when it came time to paint the wings, they looked terrible no matter what I did, so I left them out. Plus the wings would've covered up his pretty red scales and fish-like frills. I'll probably end up doing another painting of him later on, with a better pose of course. :P
    Nice drawing. But after watching how Weta designed The Balrog in LOTR i could imagine(and fear a little bit) that they are going the gothic/dark way with Smaug. Maybe something like -http://www.moviereporter.net/assets/...jpg?1278676696
    Personally i would prefere a more intelligent looking Smaug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    Aragorn is actually incredibly old. He is around 80 at the time of LOTR trilogy... So yea, he was probably around
    According to LOTR appendix, Aragorn was 10 years old when Bilbo joined Gandalf and the Dwarves in their journey for the Lonely Mountain. Since he was fostered by Elrond in Rivendell after the death of his father Arathorn, we could see a short cameo of Aragorn as a young boy when the party visits Imladris. In fact, that would be nice.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2011-07-17 at 04:50 AM.

So many characters leave room for interpretation, looking forward to see what they come up with. Smaug ought to be good.

I really can't wait to see this. Really great book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    The thing about Faramir in the book is that he is static. A bit of a mystery at first, but once we get to know him nothing ever changes. That can be boring. In addition, Peter Jackson had just spent like 9 hours establishing how evil and tempting The Ring is, and how it absolutely corrupts people with all the power it has and that no one can be trusted with it. Faramir completely breaks that down, you destroy any credibility the ring has when a character says "I wouldn't touch it if it lay by the wayside" (or something to that effect). Those 9 hours have crossed some of the most powerful people in Middle Earth, if not the most powerful, and every single one of them who knew anything about The Ring was terrified of the power it had and what it might do. Gandalf and Galadriel were both offered the ring, but considering that they are arguably the two wisest people in all of Middle Earth, it makes sense that they'd know to refuse it because of what it would do. Faramir shouldn't know that, he's a soldier (albeit a well educated and gentlemanly one, but still a soldier).

What Faramir saw was a chance to step out of his brother's shadow, to do something that Boromir could not, and potentially save his country that he loves so dearly. In the film it is completely in character of him to take that chance, and it provides him an opportunity to then right his wrongs. He still does what his brother can't in that he lets Frodo and The Ring go, but it makes more sense because he only does that after he's seen just what The Ring does; instead of an overnight decision that honestly doesn't really fit with the overall lore.

With regards to things changing, the trilogy is about as faithful as you're ever going to get with a book-to-movie adaption without the movie being absolute shit. Word for word adaptations just don't work when you change mediums.

/massive goddamn nerd
    Faramir had no lust at all for power. So the ring was not interesting to him. For the same reason, he did not want to step out of his brother's shadow. He was perfectly satisfied with his position and even offered to go to Imladris instead of Boromir so that Gondor did not lose his best general. He only wanted his father to love him. Faramir was humility incarnate. Since Faramir refused the Ring, it was now plausible for him to also refuse power and accept Aragorn as his King. The House of the Stewards had ruled Gondor for countless generations. It became proud and arrogant. Denethor did not want the title of King, but he did not accept Aragorn has his King (he says so to Gandalf). Boromir was even prouder. The return of the King was meant to be a complete victory of good over evil and a perfect restoration of the West. Minas Tirith did not fail. The Stewards did not fail, since they kept the city and gave the power back when the King returned. Tolkien needed humble Faramir to do that.

As for his knowledge, Faramir is almost a pure blood Numenorean. He had taste for battle as a mean to defend his people and for knowledge. He was often with Gandalf when he consulted the archives about the Ring. Gandalf tought him much.

I loved the film. but I hated what they did with Faramir. In the book, Faramir is a strong, uncorruptible leader. In the movie, he is weaker, indecisive, corruptible. I'll admit, though, that Peter Jackson did a far worse job with Elrond than with Faramir.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

I loved the film. but I hated what they did with Faramir. In the book, Faramir is a strong, uncorruptible leader. In the movie, he is weaker, indecisive, corruptible. I'll admit, though, that Peter Jackson did a far worse job with Elrond than with Faramir.
    In my opinion PJ`s worst mistakes in lotr goes something like ( from worst to averagely bad); Saruman(enchanted voice, cough)-> the dragged out ending->Elrond->Lothlorien->Saurons Eye->Faramir->general annoying Elf whispers. I like most of what WETA did though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    In my opinion PJ`s worst mistakes in lotr goes something like ( from worst to averagely bad); Saruman(enchanted voice, cough)-> the dragged out ending->Elrond->Lothlorien->Saurons Eye->Faramir->general annoying Elf whispers. I like most of what WETA did though.
    Saruman's voice is supposed to be enchanted and I think Christopher Lee has a good voice for that. What I didn't like about Saruman was that he was too powerful. In the movie, he's the one who causes the storm in Caradhras. In the book, the mountain itself is evil. Saruman's possession of King Theoden was also very bad. It was only Grima's lies that were weakening Theoden. I understand that PJ needed a strong antagonist in the first two movies, but this is too much powerful for me. For the dragged out ending, the book is far worse (but I love it that way). I agree with you with Sauron's Eye.

Elrond was bad from A to Z. He's dark, pessimistic, cynical, he despises dwarves and humans, etc. He's almost the opposite of the Elrond of the book! The contrast will be even worse between Hugo Weaving's Elrond and the Elrond from The Hobbit's novel.

Last weekend ive seen the Extended version of all 3 movies, and it got me so mutch excited im wondering how the books should be read. And if there are more smaller books that i perhapds dont know of.

The Hobbit
    THe Fellow shit of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    The Return of the Kings

thats the order i know of, but are there mobs books, because i always found that theres such rich background story, and we are supposed to know that already, because in the movies they dont always explain it fully.

Deleted
    Saruman's voice is supposed to be enchanted and I think Christopher Lee has a good voice for that. What I didn't like about Saruman was that he was too powerful. In the movie, he's the one who causes the storm in Caradhras. In the book, the mountain itself is evil. Saruman's possession of King Theoden was also very bad. It was only Grima's lies that were weakening Theoden. I understand that PJ needed a strong antagonist in the first two movies, but this is too much powerful for me. For the dragged out ending, the book is far worse (but I love it that way). I agree with you with Sauron's Eye.

Elrond was bad from A to Z. He's dark, pessimistic, cynical, he despises dwarves and humans, etc. He's almost the opposite of the Elrond of the book! The contrast will be even worse between Hugo Weaving's Elrond and the Elrond from The Hobbit's novel.
    Though i completely agree about Elrond - and maybe the elfs as a whole(Legolas was ok though) i still think i was most dissapointed with Saruman. I thought he would be a interesting challenge for a director - a wise, deceptive (and skilled) leader of Istari who maybe should have charmed the audience instead of just be a plain onedimensional villain. Theoden and Grima was allso to much spelled out yea. As for the ending - i remember Frodos goodby as genuinly melancholic in the books, while the movies almost tryed to force out tears - to much imo.
    I hope PJ will give some key characters abit more personality in The Hobbit - mainly the trolls in the beginning, Smaug, Beorn and ofc Thorin allso have a blueprint to something really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoef View Post
    THe Fellow shit of the Ring
    It wasnt that bad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    Though i completely agree about Elrond - and maybe the elfs as a whole(Legolas was ok though) i still think i was most dissapointed with Saruman. I thought he would be a interesting challenge for a director - a wise, deceptive (and skilled) leader of Istari who maybe should have charmed the audience instead of just be a plain onedimensional villain. Theoden and Grima was allso to much spelled out yea. As for the ending - i remember Frodos goodby as genuinly melancholic in the books, while the movies almost tryed to force out tears - to much imo.
    I hope PJ will give some key characters abit more personality in The Hobbit - mainly the trolls in the beginning, Smaug, Beorn and ofc Thorin allso have a blueprint to something really interesting.
    I think Legolas had his flaws too. This interpretation lacked the witty sense of humour and jollity that Legolas had in the book. He's probably one of the most optimistic character of the Fellowship after Merry and Pippin. PJ reversed that quality in the Legolas-Gimli pair. In the book, Legolas is jovial and Gimli is grim. In the movie, Legolas is grim and Gimli is funny. But it works so well, Gimli is funny as... well not as Hell, since Hell is not really funny but you get my point. Also, I'm sorry but Gimli should not have lost the drinking contest with Legolas still sober. We will see (or should see) in The Hobbit that Elves can easily get drunk.

I am a bit concerned about the trolls too. In LOTR (novel), the trolls are like the berzerker trolls of WoW : big, mean, nasty. In The Hobbit, they are like hobgoblin oafs : big and stupid. They can hold a conversation. In LOTR (movie), the trolls are big, mean and bestial. They grunt and roar and are almost treated like animals. I don't see three trolls such as these named Tom, Bert and Bill Huggins quarelling in a cockney accent about what to do with 13 dwarves and a hobbit.

When I saw the actor chosen for Thorin Oakenshield, the first reaction I had was " My, this guy looks so young for the role". But make-up exists, so I will wait.

For Smaug, if he looks like this picture from John Howe, I will be happy.

For characterization, I hope they will make him very evil, but also witty, regal and vainglorious.

10+ Year Old Account

When I saw the actor chosen for Thorin Oakenshield, the first reaction I had was " My, this guy looks so young for the role". But make-up exists, so I will wait.
    They released a pic of Thorin yesterday. He does look younger then I pictured him, but still looks badass. Orcist looks pretty cool too. I like how they added a similar scroll engraving to the one they had on Sting in LOTR.

Bigger pic and original posting here:http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011...d-and-orcrist/

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking up every bit of info I can and watching all of the official videos from the crew. Wish I could be a part of the film-making process with these movies.. it looks like a lot of fun. Jackson is sure to do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    I'd be more excited about this movie if it wasn't been made by Peter Jackson...and wasn't a prequel.....and wasn't an adaptation of a Tolkien book....In short, if it wasn't The Hobbit, I'd be excited for it. (Just in case you tripped up on my words, I'm not excited, nor looking forward to it in anyway, shape or form.)
    Then, perhaps this isn't the thread for you.

It feels like I've been waiting for this as long as I've been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever (The video game). Let's hope the movie ends up better than the Game Boy game, though! He he.

Deleted

I am a bit concerned about the trolls too. In LOTR (novel), the trolls are like the berzerker trolls of WoW : big, mean, nasty. In The Hobbit, they are like hobgoblin oafs : big and stupid. They can hold a conversation. In LOTR (movie), the trolls are big, mean and bestial. They grunt and roar and are almost treated like animals. I don't see three trolls such as these named Tom, Bert and Bill Huggins quarelling in a cockney accent about what to do with 13 dwarves and a hobbit.

For Smaug, if he looks like this picture from John Howe, I will be happy.

For characterization, I hope they will make him very evil, but also witty, regal and vainglorious.
    I think the problem is that the Art directors from WETA prolly finds it stimulating to go all out so to speak with their concepts. While i actually would have thought of the best solution for the 3 highway trolls to be played by types like for example Gerad Depardeu, i could imagine that they will be CGI.
    I saw a pic from ( i think) a early Smaug, when del Toro was in the seat, and he looked like a brute version of Deathwing or something - not my taste, awesome concept design, just not for Smaug.

Im abit torn with the use of CGI, because i actually enjoyed stuff like the Cave Troll in Moria ( in the book i think its a Orc Chieftain), the Balrog was allso pure awesomness even though there is abit debate about how they actually look.
    It looks like we are going to se Dol Guldur in The Hobbit btw, a derivation from the book which i dont mind really

Part one is scheduled for release December 14, 2012 and will be titled "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey."

Part two is scheduled for release December 13, 2013 and will be titled "The Hobbit: There and Back Again."

Dude that's sooo much to wait! I want it NOW!!!