Poll: Dwarf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    but to be honest the similarrion has the potential to be better than the hobbit and lotro combined.

morgoth anyone?
    It's really, really unlikely, but it would be great to see some of the individual story arcs fleshed out and adapted for film. Seeing Morgoth in action against Fingolfin would be fantastic.
    I'd like to see The Children Of Hurin on screen, but the romance is probably a little too unorthodox for the family audience it would likely be targeting.

btw thats morgoth
    Isn't that Ungoliant?

Deleted
    but to be honest the similarrion has the potential to be better than the hobbit and lotro combined.

morgoth anyone?

That book is just crap. And no, The Hobbit wasn't a letdown.

10+ Year Old Account

morgoth anyone?
    The Silmarillion is way too long and has too much characters to make a movie out of it. They could take one story from the book like Beren and Luthien or The Children of Hurin. In fact, a movie of The Children of Hurin could be more captivating than that dry book Christopher Tolkien wrote. I was so disappointed. It was like reading a chapter from The Silmarillion, only longer, as verbose and with barely more dialogues. I mean, they could have done so much more with that story if they gave it to a decent writer.

Anyway, don't expect a movie from the Silmarillion soon. At any rate, Peter Jackson won't be doing it. The Tolkien Estate is not overthrilled by his work (although they should be happy with the money they make out of it). Such a project would mean years of negociations with the Tolkien Estate.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 12:43 AM ----------

btw thats morgoth
    That little man in the bottom right may be Morgoth. This is Ungoliant.

This is Morgoth.

Last edited by Frontenac; 2013-01-10 at 05:43 AM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    That book is just crap. And no, The Hobbit wasn't a letdown.
    I'm guessing you didn't get through the beginning of it. either that or shit taste

Please don't abuse spoiler tags and insult people.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2013-01-10 at 05:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't get through the beginning of it. either that or shit taste
    While I don't like to call other people's opinions/taste wrong, the fact that there could be anyone enjoying Tolkien's work enough to read Silmarillion fully and NOT liking it would blow my mind. So I kinda agree with you. I knew it would be one of my favorite books even before reading half of it. But I won't re-read it for years due to how it's written.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    im actually kind of surprised by the blind approval of the hobbit movie from the tolkien fans.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    ..Huh? I loved the movie and you didn't, just because I, and others here who loved it, happen to be Tolkien fans doesn't mean that it's blind approval. I love Batman but I thought the Dark Knight Rises was pretty shit.

Also, there's a couple of posters in here that shared their opinions about things they didn't like and they do seem to be Tolkien fans, seeing how they know a lot of the lore outside of the movies and hobbit/lotr books.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post

Isn't that Ungoliant?
    spider is. morgoth is the little man
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

im actually kind of surprised by the blind approval of the hobbit movie from the tolkien fans.
    Blind approval? If I wanted to I could critique the movie down to every last fault. If you start nitpicking then hell, you can claim there's tons of faults in movies like Schindler's List, Twelve Angry Men, Pulp Fiction, Citizen Kane (Widely considered some of the best movies) etc.

The main thing you need to ask yourself when you leave the cinema is, "Did I enjoy that movie?" If your answer is yes, then it's not 'Blind Approval', it's called enjoying the damn movie. You stated on the last page that you did, 'enjoy the movie', so what's with the snarky comment almost implying that we're weird for being Tolkien fans but still loving the heck out of the movie? You clearly like Tolkein based off your comments and Similarion stuff, and you enjoyed the movie, so I don't see what the problem is. State what you thought was strange about it (Like you did with your Goblin King comment etc from the last couple pages) and see what other people's opinions are, but don't try and say that people liking those aspects is, 'Blind Approval'.

In regards to Azog, I think Peter had two choices, either add that 'Main Antagonist' in to give the movie a more tense story Arc making the film stand better as it's own journey. Or spend all that time that was spent explaining Azog and any scene that involved him or his band of Orcs, basically instead just having talking shots between the Dwarves, learning about them, their history, more silly humour etc. Now I personally wouldn't mind it either way, when it comes to the Writing team behind these Middle Earth films, I'm happy to spend an hour of just character background setup, since it's always still done extremely well in both script and direction. But as a person who understands basics of our society, majority of people need more then that, they need an antagonist to follow and they need at least some action to break up the "slow" sequences. Frankly it could have been completely terrible, but in the hands of Peter Jackson he was able to create this interesting plot Arc, build up a character who in the book was essentially nothing and turn a film which could have had no tension and mostly 2 hours of character setup, into a Thrilling and intense journey which satisfied both aspects.

As I've stated before, I don't think The Hobbit is better then LOTR (And that's just slightly unfair considering it's 1 movie VS 3 >.> ), and I don't think it will beat out LOTR even after the entire trilogy is complete (Unless the next 2 movies are Higher then God Tier). Even comparing Fellowship of the Ring VS Unexpected Journey I still think Fellowship is better. But it was still an immensely enjoyable movie, worthy of being called a 'Tolkein based' movie and another year to wait is going to be an Expected Journey of patience. (For reference, IMO FOTR > TTT > UJ > ROTK and Bilbo (Martin Freeman) > Frodo)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Even comparing Fellowship of the Ring VS Unexpected Journey I still think Fellowship is better.
    But The unexpected journey was def better then The Two towers which i personaly disliked most of the LOTR trio but tbh even if this trio is better then TLOTR and im not saying it will be better you still cant compare both yes they are connected but by far are the same the hobbit isnt ask dark as TLOTR therefor people will dislike it more then TLOTR.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Deleted
    I don't know if this has been posted or not, but I saw it on Imgur and I thought I'd put it here so everyone can see it.

Amazing poster I say, love it a lot.

Can't wait to see the next LoTR, The Destruction of Smaug. I really enjoyed The Hobbit, and I haven't seen any LOTR before except the first one at release.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Can't wait to see the next LoTR, The Destruction of Smaug. I really enjoyed The Hobbit, and I haven't seen any LOTR before except the first one at release.
    Think your talking about the new Hobbit, desolation of smaug xD also you havent seen any of the LOTR before except the first one xd?
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Overall it wasn't bad but it kinda felt like a "cheaper" and less epic version of LOTR. Which is pretty much what the book was as well but still. They should have done the Hobbit movie first.

Also I didn't really appreciate the childish moments. I guess they wanted to put in some funny moments for the kids but it felt really out of place. Especially the scene with the goblin king. I was like ".... really?" Radagast also felt more like a silly Hogwarts teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Overall it wasn't bad but it kinda felt like a "cheaper" and less epic version of LOTR. Which is pretty much what the book was as well but still. They should have done the Hobbit movie first.

Also I didn't really appreciate the childish moments. I guess they wanted to put in some funny moments for the kids but it felt really out of place. Especially the scene with the goblin king. I was like ".... really?" Radagast also felt more like a silly Hogwarts teacher.
    The Hobbit is a kids book, so it's to be expected that there will be childish moments. LOTR is about 1200 pages, while the Hobbit was something like 300 or so (been 21 years since I read it so memories are a little foggy with such detail), so yeah, you're going to have a difference in epicness. The movie seemed to hit everything I remember from the book pretty dead on and it seems like quite a good adaptation. I think a lot of people forget the fact that the Hobbit is a children's novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    My thoughts on that are more that... well a really good version of LOTR had never been done. The cartoons for it was okish... but not all that good really. It was amazing to actually have it done in a satisfying way. The Hobbit being done was probably less urgent because the cartoon for that actually had been brilliant. At least that's my own reasoning about why it was done in this order.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    My thoughts on that are more that... well a really good version of LOTR had never been done. The cartoons for it was okish... but not all that good really. It was amazing to actually have it done in a satisfying way. The Hobbit being done was probably less urgent because the cartoon for that actually had been brilliant. At least that's my own reasoning about why it was done in this order.
    The Lord of the Rings simply has more action and a more mature storyline. That's why it was made first.
    Remember that prior to the LotR movies, fantasy movies in general were shunned. Only if done right, something as big as LotR could change this.

If the Hobbit was released first instead, it probably wouldn't have had the impact to change how society looks at fantasy movies. And it wouldn't have been 3 movies, it would've been 1 too full with stuff to make sense. The LotR movies were the only logical option.

But looking back, for the fans it would've been more fun to see the Hobbit first and Lord of the Rings second.
    Chronologically it makes more sense, and in terms of action and darker storyline as well.

But do take in mind that because LotR was made first, we do get more enhanced Hobbit movies with all kinds of backstory that wouldn't have been in it had the Hobbit been made first. So in a sense, what we have now is better.

Fantasy movies were shunned what? I mean some of them certainly (and they pretty much deserved it)... but there have been a number of very successful fantasy movies. Maybe if you define fantasy movies as being only ones where there are elves and dwarves... the genre of Fantasy is MUCH MUCH larger than that though.

Beren & Lúthien someone?

THAT would be the story

Deleted
    before i start comparing the hobbit to Lotr i need to see the whole trilogy i think. i really enjoyed the movie.