Poll: Dwarf

Page 84 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the midnight premiere here in Sweden. Watched the 3D 48 fps version and I honestly liked the format, which is funny since I just am not into the whole 3D thing at all. Some of the scenes were just excellent, especially the action scenes since you were able to see pretty much everything. Though, I don't think 48 fps works in every scenario, so if movies will continue to use this technology they would have to adapt a mixture of 48 and 24 fps to create good motion for everything on screen.

As for the movie itself, I really, really liked it. Was a lot of fun and had a lot of good things going for it. An improvement from the previous installment, I have to say, and I liked the first one quite a bit. Looking forward to the last movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Stephen Fry was brilliant, for what little time he got on screen.

Not sure whether it's Fry or the character I like, but whatever it was, it works!

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed two-legged!
    I don't know how I feel about that... I always liked four legged dragons more. However, I believe the book described him as two legged, so I guess it should be fine.

I always saw two legged as not a dragon, but a drake.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    I don't know how I feel about that... I always liked four legged dragons more. However, I believe the book described him as two legged, so I guess it should be fine.

I didn't even know there was a difference between a dragon and a drake. Always thought it was just different names of the same thing, but a drake was a younger version of a dragon. *shrugs*

As for Smaug in the movie, he may not have had 4 legs, but he walked around on all 4 by having claws on his wings. Pretty much like bats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's a lot more intimidating. His stance is like that of a Proto-drake, leaning forwards on his wings. I mean, he's still got four limbs, just with his wings attached to his forearms.
    Right. I figured as much. Again, not a big deal. When I think dragon I think four legs, though two still applies to a dragon in some settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I didn't even know there was a difference between a dragon and a drake. Always thought it was just different names of the same thing, but a drake was a younger version of a dragon. *shrugs*

As for Smaug in the movie, he may not have had 4 legs, but he walked around on all 4 by having claws on his wings. Pretty much like bats.
    Drakes are usually considered "Proto-dragons" or related to dragons, but not true dragons. They tend to be less intelligent and more brutish than true dragons, as well.
    Last edited by Rendia; 2013-12-11 at 07:56 PM.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Just watched it.

such dragon
    very cool
    much effects
    wow

I often over the years after the movie read how the role of Gandalf was actually offered first to Sean Connery (James Bond guy) and I don't really think he could even have pulled it off. Similarly with Aragorn. Before Vigo Mortensen got the role, they actually had another actor but was dropped the first few days of filming. Even Gimli was simply outstanding.
    Nicholas Cage.

They wanted freaking Nicholas Cage to play ARagorn.

Sean Connery as Gandalf? Impossible.

Deleted
    Stephen Fry was brilliant, for what little time he got on screen.

Not sure whether it's Fry or the character I like, but whatever it was, it works!

fuck all of you, the movie isn't even out here yet, and now i find out stephen fry is the film????????

i hate everything.

and yes, i am the most impatient person in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just came back from the cinema, it blew my mind. But the ending was disappointing. Did not expect this from Peter Jackson...
    "The sword is mightier than the pen, and considerably easier to kill with."

Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    I just came back from the cinema, it blew my mind. But the ending was disappointing. Did not expect this from Peter Jackson...
    Makes a lot of sense. Makes people want to watch TABA, where as some (stupid) people would else wise be like "WELL NOW THEY KILLED THE DRAGON, WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO FOR THE LAST MOVIE?". I kind of liked it. Means we'll have Smaug in the third movie too, and we'll get some cool scenes from pretty much the very beginning. It also helps along the idea of "this is one story in three parts, not three movies on their own. Creates some solid connectivity. This one actually felt a bit disconnected to the first honestly.

Also, some of the criticism for this movie the critics gave were mostly extreme nitpicks. The only one I can sort of understand is "middle movie trouble" argument.

Interested to see what (and how much) EE will add in an year. More Beorn is the only thing that springs to mind.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-12-11 at 10:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post

In the drawings by Tolkien and the map of the Lonely Mountain he is a four legged dragon. Also, a 2 legged dragon is a wyvern. Not that it really bothers me either way, but some people were tripping balls about it on other forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    In the drawings by Tolkien and the map of the Lonely Mountain he is a four legged dragon. Also, a 2 legged dragon is a wyvern. Not that it really bothers me either way, but some people were tripping balls about it on other forums.
    I suspect it's going to bug me. Not "OMG how could they!" or in the sense of ruining the film, but it's like hearing that they decided Gandalf didn't need a beard, or that the Jedi in the next Star Wars movie won't have lightsabers. It's not some "you must do it like the book!" objection, but rather a sense of, "why would you do it that way, when a much better design was right in front of you?" All IMHO, of course.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    "WELL NOW THEY KILLED THE DRAGON, WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO FOR THE LAST MOVIE?".
    I thought spoiler was for things that were less than a month old, not half a century...can we plz not do spoiler on an old book written many decades ago?...It's not a spoiler when your grandfather can say he read about in a book when he was young. In fact, I think puting spoilers on such things should be punishable..

And it ends with a battle of many armies.

I thought that was common knowledge since ages ago! He plays the Master of Laketown!
    Yeah, master of Laketown, hardly a spoiler if you have seen this before the premiere,
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pjackson...?feature=watch

Can we keep spoiler tags for things we wouldn't know? Like that new made-up character, that female elf heroine or something other, like what's been added to the Hobbit that wasn't in the book or revealed before the latest movie...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    No, a wyvern is a draconid that has only two back legs and wings, yes, but it also has a giant stinger on its tail and is as dumb as a rock.

A drake is similar to a dragon, but again, less intelligent, with two legs and a wings for front appendages.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdrake View Post
    I thought spoiler was for things that were less than a month old, not half a century...can we plz not do spoiler on an old book written many decades ago?...It's not a spoiler when your grandfather can say he read about in a book when he was young. In fact, I think puting spoilers on such things should be punishable..

And it ends with a battle of many armies.
    Because it reveals they don't kill the dragon in the end of this movie. That's a spoiler.

Deleted
    I always thought of Smaug as a classic super smart 4 legged dragon. Cba looking it up but i think there even is a description of the location of his weak spot, behind his forleg.
    Not that it matters. Jacksons The Hobbits is apparently a re-interpretation to say it mildly. And Drakes kind of feels more anatomically correct to me - i just wish there was a picture of himsomewhere (besides the painted airplane) now the movie has premiered.
    Sounds like they are saving his attack on Lake town for next movie? What about Beorn - is he cool? (Dont mind spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    I always thought of Smaug as a classic super smart 4 legged dragon. Cba looking it up but i think there even is a description of the location of his weak spot, behind his forleg.
    Not that it matters. Jacksons The Hobbits is apparently a re-interpretation to say it mildly. And Drakes kind of feels more anatomically correct to me - i just wish there was a picture of himsomewhere (besides the painted airplane) now the movie has premiered.
    Sounds like they are saving his attack on Lake town for next movie? What about Beorn - is he cool? (Dont mind spoilers)
    Beorn I found sort of whatever, but he had to be there because people would be angry if he weren't. Probably more stuff about him in EE.
    Yes, it ends with him flying towards the town.
    Smaug is incredibly cool, to be honest, most people don't notice that he's a "drake" and not a dragon. He's more agile this way I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    That cliffhanger

Just watched it.

such dragon
    very cool
    much effects
    wow
    Get the fuck out with this lame meme bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Get the fuck out with this lame meme bullshit.
    Get out with your negative attitude and lacking sense of fun and courtesy.

Get out with your negative attitude and lacking sense of fun and courtesy.
    Fun? One of the lamest memes in the history of the Internet and you think it's fun? You see other spamming that nonsense and you need to follow like a sheep. Dear oh dear...