Poll: Dwarf

Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laeneia View Post
    But there is Gollum. Yes my precioussss.

Let's Hope Peter Jackson doesn't change that much again. (He killed Faramir as a character, changed Eomer and stuff)
    And how is he going to make 2 movies out of that short book.
    Unfinished Tales (http://www.amazon.com/Unfinished-Num...0078679&sr=8-1) and LOTR appendices.

Btw CLICKY...SO AMAZING=====> http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGalle..._Journey_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Laeneia View Post
    But Faramir was always the good, numenorian character, who acted good and let Frodo pass against orders, because he knew it was right. Faramir wasn't tempted by the ring. Complete difference to Boromir.

Don't get me wrong. I like the films very much, but it sucks to see things altered.
    The thing about Faramir in the book is that he is static. A bit of a mystery at first, but once we get to know him nothing ever changes. That can be boring. In addition, Peter Jackson had just spent like 9 hours establishing how evil and tempting The Ring is, and how it absolutely corrupts people with all the power it has and that no one can be trusted with it. Faramir completely breaks that down, you destroy any credibility the ring has when a character says "I wouldn't touch it if it lay by the wayside" (or something to that effect). Those 9 hours have crossed some of the most powerful people in Middle Earth, if not the most powerful, and every single one of them who knew anything about The Ring was terrified of the power it had and what it might do. Gandalf and Galadriel were both offered the ring, but considering that they are arguably the two wisest people in all of Middle Earth, it makes sense that they'd know to refuse it because of what it would do. Faramir shouldn't know that, he's a soldier (albeit a well educated and gentlemanly one, but still a soldier).

What Faramir saw was a chance to step out of his brother's shadow, to do something that Boromir could not, and potentially save his country that he loves so dearly. In the film it is completely in character of him to take that chance, and it provides him an opportunity to then right his wrongs. He still does what his brother can't in that he lets Frodo and The Ring go, but it makes more sense because he only does that after he's seen just what The Ring does; instead of an overnight decision that honestly doesn't really fit with the overall lore.

With regards to things changing, the trilogy is about as faithful as you're ever going to get with a book-to-movie adaption without the movie being absolute shit. Word for word adaptations just don't work when you change mediums.

/massive goddamn nerd

Lake Town ftw

Deleted
    I just hope it has an amazing musical score like LotR.

Excited for introducing 13 uninvited guests!
    House of Beorn!
    Trolls and Spiders!
    Rivendel
    Worgs on fire!
    Smaug!
    The back door!
    Arkenstone! (my main mages name!)

My WoW characters:
    Arkennstone (mage)
    Lothlorienn (druid)
    Rivendell
    Thoriin
    Oakennshield (disc priest)
    Impassable
    Last edited by ripcurlksm; 2011-07-08 at 12:07 AM.

As long as you don't have a Blood Elf hunter named Legolas, that's fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...am I the only one that's excited to see Gollum again but with a cute little boat lol
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

And Here is the Latest Photo of the Hobbit Dwarfs

Nori, Ori & Dori

The Film is being shot in Wellington New Zealand

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    And Here is the Latest Photo of the Hobbit Dwarfs

Nori, Ori & Dori

The Film is being shot in Wellington New Zealand

imgsnip
    I admit, they look kinda bad.
    I hope they will look better in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Pffff... Who needs Aragorn when you have Bard. They are almost the same character. Having Aragorn would overshadow Bard. Besides the fact that The Hobbit takes place more then 60 years before LOTR. Aragorn would not even be born yet. The elves being there makes sense since they live forever. There is also alot that happens behind the scenes involving the elves and it only mentioned in passing in The Hobbit. I have a feeling this is the area Jackson is going to expand upon to make the book into two movies.

Actually he was alive at that point. I forget right now, but by the time of the War of the ring Aragorn was well over 100 years old.

---------- Post added 2011-07-08 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    1) there is no Boromir
    5) there is no Witch King.

I am not watching this.
    We don't know that for certain. During The Hobbit Gandalf leave Bilbo and the Dwarves to go counter the evil force growing in southern Mirkwood at Dul Guldor, which, if I am not mistaken is the Witch King.

Its not really covered in the book, Gandalf is just absent for a portion of the novel. Its could be Jackson actually spends some time on the battle...to fill 2 flims it may well be needed.
    Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywulf View Post
    Actually he was alive at that point. I forget right now, but by the time of the War of the ring Aragorn was well over 100 years old.
    In The Fellowship of the Ring, Aragorn joined Frodo Baggins, Bilbo's adopted heir, and three of his friends at the Inn of the Prancing Pony in Bree. These four had set out from the Shire to bring the One Ring to Rivendell. Aragorn, going by the nickname Strider, was then aged 87, nearing the prime of life for one of royal Númenórean descent. With Aragorn's help the Hobbits escaped the pursuing Nazgûl and reached Rivendell.
    Which would mean that he is a little too young to do anything, since Bilbo's 111th birthday is when Frodo became of age (33), he kept the ring hidden for 17 years, so he would have been 50 when they set out. Bilbo had his adventure when he was 50, so that means that the difference between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings is about 78 years, which would make Aragorn about 9 when the events of the Hobbit took place.

Deleted
    Cant wait

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more excited about this movie if it wasn't been made by Peter Jackson...and wasn't a prequel.....and wasn't an adaptation of a Tolkien book....In short, if it wasn't The Hobbit, I'd be excited for it. (Just in case you tripped up on my words, I'm not excited, nor looking forward to it in anyway, shape or form.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for it, I loved lotr and Peter Jackson is an incredibly good film maker. In my opinion he have everything to make this film a success and you can believe me when I say I'm damn going to see this film as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    I'd be more excited about this movie if it wasn't been made by Peter Jackson...and wasn't a prequel.....and wasn't an adaptation of a Tolkien book....In short, if it wasn't The Hobbit, I'd be excited for it. (Just in case you tripped up on my words, I'm not excited, nor looking forward to it in anyway, shape or form.)
    Care to elaborate as to why you feel this way? Seems a little redundant to basically make a post to say "I'm not looking forward to this movie." without actually explaining why those points you've given are a problem.

or are you just trolling?
    Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Care to elaborate as to why you feel this way? Seems a little redundant to basically make a post to say "I'm not looking forward to this movie." without actually explaining why those points you've given are a problem.

or are you just trolling?
    Not trolling in the slightest (I like how my post saying i'm not looking fforward to it seems redundant when in the thread there's people going "squee! so excited!" and such and not giving reasons as to why...same thing really...but I digress), to elaborate, Peter Jackson is a terrible director. I respect the cinematography of the LOTR trilogy, the forced perspective and sets were a great moment for cinema...but in my opinion, thats the only thing the first movie had going for it. Second movie, I can't even remember anything. Battle at Helms Deep was the highlight and it was the most generic tower siege that could've been plucked from any fantasy setting. Third Movie, I've never actually been able to watch the whole way through, it's so turgid and uninspired.

That said, it's not all his fault, as you can see from my third reason, it's bad because it's based on Tolkien. Tolkien was a linguist, he studied languages, he was so good at it he could even invent a few of his own, with proper grammar and syntax, and to be honest, I can respect him for that. But his stories are terrible. He rambles on and on, to the point where it goes beyond being even a stream of conciousness style of writing. At times, it looks like he's being paid per word, because there's just so much unnecessary description of inconsequential fluff in his writing.

As for it being a prequel....I just don't like prequels. Too often they're just playing on people's appreciation of the original piece of work, normally on one of the fringe characters who's developed a cult status.

Of course, that's all just my opinion of the franchise.

10+ Year Old Account

As for it being a prequel....I just don't like prequels. Too often they're just playing on people's appreciation of the original piece of work, normally on one of the fringe characters who's developed a cult status.

You seem to know a bit about Tolkien so I am guessing that you know this as well, but The Hobbit is not a prequel. It was written first. Now, that doesn't mean the movie version won't play up the connections to the other movies.

That said, it's not all his fault, as you can see from my third reason, it's bad because it's based on Tolkien. Tolkien was a linguist, he studied languages, he was so good at it he could even invent a few of his own, with proper grammar and syntax, and to be honest, I can respect him for that. But his stories are terrible. He rambles on and on, to the point where it goes beyond being even a stream of conciousness style of writing. At times, it looks like he's being paid per word, because there's just so much unnecessary description of inconsequential fluff in his writing.

To be honest I totally agree with you on this point. It idoes ramble badly. When I first read the books at 13, which I assure you is a long, long time ago, I found the start of Return of the King is a real slog to get through. like, really bad.
    Compared to novels wirtten today, it does seem unsophisticated and badly structured. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but he really could have done with better editors.

The Hobbit is actually a more traditionally structured story, so hopefully it will flow better than the Trilogy.

I would disagree on the points on Jacksons directing tho. I thought it was well directed. Also, he was producer on the films, and I'd find it hard for anyone to pick holes in the production values of the Trilogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I totally agree with you on this point. It idoes ramble badly. When I first read the books at 13, which I assure you is a long, long time ago, I found the start of Return of the King is a real slog to get through. like, really bad.
    Compared to novels wirtten today, it does seem unsophisticated and badly structured. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but he really could have done with better editors.

The Hobbit is actually a more traditionally structured story, so hopefully it will flow better than the Trilogy.

I would disagree on the points on Jacksons directing tho. I thought it was well directed. Also, he was producer on the films, and I'd find it hard for anyone to pick holes in the production values of the Trilogy.
    I guess with the Peter Jackson thing, it could have been the actors themselves, rather than te direction. I just felt like every character seemed really wooden and just going through the motions (except for Sean Bean and Sean Astin), the production values I agree were tremendous, the scenes and sets were otherworldly at times. Especially in the first movie.
    Last edited by Teroseth; 2011-07-08 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    The Faramir change makes complete sense when you think about it, and just about every character was changed in a minor way to accommodate the fact that he couldn't put every single character in.
    That change didn't make any sense to me actually. The whole thing about Faramir was the fact he wasn't tempted by the ring... it made him more epic that he was the only person in the world that wasn't tempted by it.

Actually I found the beginning of Fellowship to be MUCH more of a slog to get through. All the set-up and stuff was just really boring to me. The Hobbit was a completely compelling and well written book though, though someone said they are spiting it into two movies? Idk how I feel about that = /

I guess with the Peter Jackson thing, it could have been the actors themselves, rather than te direction. I just felt like every character seemed really wooden and just going through the motions (except for Sean Bean and Sean Astin), the production values I agree were tremendous, the scenes and sets were otherworldly at times. Especially in the first movie.
    Umm unless they have totally screwed up recent editions you never find out anything about that ring's past until Fellowship.