Poll: Dwarf

Deleted
    Thorin is so badass. That epic 'pose' on that tree of some sort was more than just epic.

Can't wait for this movie to come out o:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    If you play a Dwarf in WOW..You will probably feel at home with the Hobbit

I like how they gave each dwarf a distinct personality (the wise, the strong one, the scholar, the glutton, etc.). Except for Thorin, Balin and Bombur, each dwarf was pretty much the same in the book, the only difference being the colours of their beards and hoods. However, Thorin, Fili and Kili do not look dwarven enough for me. I think the only dwarf prosthetics they have are the ears. They look too good, and I don't see the Naugrim, the Stunted People, of the Elves in them. I don't usualy speak English, so I may be wrong, but I was in the impression that "stunted" meant "short and somewhat deformed, lacking grace" or at least "stocky" or "stubby".

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I like how they gave each dwarf a distinct personality (the wise, the strong one, the scholar, the glutton, etc.). Except for Thorin, Balin and Bombur, each dwarf was pretty much the same in the book, the only difference being the colours of their beards and hoods. However, Thorin, Fili and Kili do not look dwarven enough for me. I think the only dwarf prosthetics they have are the ears. They look too good, and I don't see the Naugrim, the Stunted People, of the Elves in them. I don't usualy speak English, so I may be wrong, but I was in the impression that "stunted" meant "short and somewhat deformed, lacking grace" or at least "stocky" or "stubby".
    The dwarves in modern fantasy and of course middle earth are not deformed or like midgets. They are short and stocky yes but there whole bodies are proportionate.

anyways, I personally can't wait though some of the dwarves are not dwarven enough. Any dwarf without a beard isn't a true dwarf imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    When I was very young, the Hobbit was the first fantasy adventure book I read. It opened me up to a lifelong love of all things Middle-Earth / Medieval Times type of adventure.

Great book and I am very curious to see such a little book turn into a two movie deal. With Jackson at the helm I feel confident it will be epic.

me too. First real book I read when i was a youngster..probably 6

also, that pic of gandlaf wearing the 3d glasses is pro.
    me too. First real book I read when i was a youngster..probably 6

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    The dwarves in modern fantasy and of course middle earth are not deformed or like midgets. They are short and stocky yes but there whole bodies are proportionate.

anyways, I personally can't wait though some of the dwarves are not dwarven enough. Any dwarf without a beard isn't a true dwarf imo.
    Oh, I know they are not that deformed. It is how the elves see them, however. Even if they are not like todays dwarfs, I would expect them to be at least stocky (short and wide). WoW dwarves are stocky. These dwarves do not look very stocky to me. Well, except Bombur of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Oh, I know they are not that deformed. It is how the elves see them, however. Even if they are not like todays dwarfs, I would expect them to be at least stocky (short and wide). WoW dwarves are stocky. These dwarves do not look very stocky to me. Well, except Bombur of course.
    I think they are all stocky to an extent, well at least more so than humans. Though Bombur is a bit ridiculous.

Probably the best image of an ideal dwarf out of these guys is Gloin, Gimli's dad (the one with the large red-ish braided beard). Hes stocky, muscled, short and has a giant beard. :P

I just noticed that Gloin has same axe that Gimli carries in LotR, small things like that are what i like in Hobbit so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    I just noticed that Gloin has same axe that Gimli carries in LotR, small things like that are what i like in Hobbit so far.
    Gloin has all the axes Gimli has as he passed them down to him :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa whoa whoa.... Why is it news to me that Billy Conolly is in this movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    While I wait for this movie released like the rising sun, I'm rather miffed with the whole "make it a trilogy" cash cow.

While I know they add some extra stuff around it to fleshen out the story beyond what Hobbit told, still the book + all the extra writing around that timeframe is only roughly the length of Fellowship of a Ring (give or take 10-20 pages) and should be easily fitted to two movies considering they got all 3 LotR books to fit in 3 movies and they were much larger in scale.
    I'm kind of hoping that Jackson is planning on 3 theatrical, complete, films rather than doing theatrical release followed by theatrical plus extended edition on disc.

If three films is required to make essentially "The Hobbit extended edition" the ONLY edition, then I am all for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Tolkien single handledly created fantasy dwarf type, even tvtropes makes fun of it
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...sAreAllTheSame
    When you read Jason and the Argonauts, you realize that there's been no such thing as an original story since then.
    I mean the Illiad, the Odyssy and the Argonauts set the scene, and still do today.
    (The Avengers for example : Jason and the Argonauts; Arthur and the knights of the round table: Jason and the argonauts... you get the picture).
    I can't confirm or deny that he did in fact create fantasy dwarves, as I believe he got them from scandinavian mythology, but just looking at the lore of Middle Earth, it's an accumulation of mythology and stories from different cultures, all blended together with a creative spark.

The Hobbit is one of my favorite books by miles, and the adaptation to film is something I've been hoping for and dreaming of for years.
    So far so good, please don't fuck this up Peter, I'd never forgive you.

---------- Post added 2012-10-22 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa.... Why is it news to me that Billy Conolly is in this movie?
    AND he's playing Dain Ironfoot.

Awesome awesome awesome.

I am so glad they chose to make more out of this book than 1 movie. This way they won't skip a single detail from the book AND they can expand exciting scenes. There are alot of exciting things in the book that could be epic if the book was meant for older people, which the movies are. I expect flashbacks or whatever it's called from LOTR to connect important stuff, extended action scenes which are too short in the books and an epic adventure! Can't wait!

15+ Year Old Account
    Saw something on reddit or /film about Stephen Colbert making a cameo in The Hobbit. Apparently it wont be the first film. Here's a link to the article I googled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...?newsfeed=true

From as if we don't already have enough incentive to go see the movie:

Starting next month -- on December 14 -- Paramount will show the first nine minutes of the Trek sequel on 500 IMAX 3D screens across the country. The film won't be released until next May, so this is a real surprise, and just the third time IMAX has scored such a "first look" (and the first time for IMAX 3D). Some sequences of Star Trek Into Darkness were shot with IMAX cameras.
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/1...iew-next-month

Yes it doesn't say specifically the Hobbit but looking at the other movies coming out on the 14th I can't see it being anything other than the Hobbit. Now, I just have to pray it doesn't snow up here and my friends will want to travel an hour to see it on an Imax screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Saw something on reddit or /film about Stephen Colbert making a cameo in The Hobbit. Apparently it wont be the first film. Here's a link to the article I googled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...?newsfeed=true
    I was watching Jimmy Kimmel the other week and he had Colbert and Stewart on and Colbert mentioned that he and his family were allowed to vacation at the set and have lore battles with Jackson's own lore geek. I want to say Kimmel asked if he'd be in the movie as a cameo somewhere but he kinda gave a "can't tell" answer. Which would be pretty cool, as he broke his TV personality as soon as he mentioned how much he loves LotR.

Deleted
    What is the best way to watch the movie?
    I am going to see the midnight premiere on the evening of 12th December.

IMAX is way too far from where I live and the cinemas here do not support 48 FPS HFR 3D.

So my options are:
    1) normal 24 FPS 3D with terrible Czech dabing with fail voice-overs (also putting the music in the background )
    2) 2D English with subtitles

Jackson filmed this as a 3D movie, so I do not know if 2D will be right. But the dabing ... eumh.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was filmed for 3D? Last time I heard it had been filmed 2D and the 3D was tacked on at the end. I remember the complaints that came out recently saying that the film was great but the 3D was awful and seemed really unnecessary.

If this proves to be true, I'd say 2D with Subs.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    It was especially made for 3D. One of the reasons they chose to film at higher FPS than usually. There's also a lot of video material showing how they review the filmed scenes right after shooting with 3D glasses on.

The title song played during the credits for the film is here http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...miere-20121112

I am blown away. Amazing song, very dwarven, with metal and forge sounds, and manly voices. Different from Lotr which had many female voices.

Love it! Love that it mentions the Arkenstone too. Is it December 14th yet?