Poll: Dwarf

Page 35 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sir Ian McKellen is going live with a chat Q&A on twitter in a few minutes, thought I'd leave a link here in case someone was interested.

http://twitter.com/TheHobbitMovie/with_replies
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Deleted
    Ugh, critics really do grind my gears. I don't know why people pay heed to them. Films are such a subjective thing IMO, either take opinions from friends who have seen it or just go and make your own mind up if its a title that interests you, critics should never be taken seriously.

Can someone explain to me the 48fps thing?
    i've read that it 48 image per min? or something , correct me if im wrong but how is it suppose to be bad? more image sound just much better ;O

Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    i've read that it 48 image per min? or something , correct me if im wrong but how is it suppose to be bad? more image sound just much better ;O
    usually movies are filmed in 24 frames per second or fps, this one is in 48, its not bad, its better but old movie critics are complaining
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Ugh, critics really do grind my gears. I don't know why people pay heed to them. Films are such a subjective thing IMO, either take opinions from friends who have seen it or just go and make your own mind up if its a title that interests you, critics should never be taken seriously.
    Don't you know, every movie has to be an Oscar, Golden Globe winning masterpiece with such wonderful movies like Life of Pi, Anna Kenadahrah (or whatever) and whatever dumb artsy movie people poop out.

/sarcasm over

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Don't you know, every movie has to be an Oscar, Golden Globe winning masterpiece with such wonderful movies like Life of Pi, Anna Kenadahrah (or whatever) and whatever dumb artsy movie people poop out.

/sarcasm over
    Calling them dumb artsy and then say /sarcasm over makes me think you DON'T think they're dumb and artsy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    Gamdwelf already explained what it is, but what is causing people the most outrage is that it just looks different than what you are used to. Since you are on this site I imagine you play or have played WoW. Imagine running the game on a mediocre graphics card getting only 24 fps giving you a slightly choppy game experience, but over time you are used to it and you grow used to that. Then one day you install a newer card and that FPS doubles and suddenly the game looks much more vibrant and smooth. It is basically the same experience between the 48 FPS he shot this in and the traditional 24 FPS. We are so used to watching movies at a certain quality that such a dramatic bump makes it tough to adjust at first. Everything looks more hyper-realistic and less of a traditional movie style. That seems to be the biggest hang up for so many negative reviews. I hope my theater is showing it in 48 FPS on the 3d and 24 FPS on the 2d so I can see both firsthand and see if the reported differences are really that noticeable.

Apparently the end credits run for SIXTEEN minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Gamdwelf already explained what it is, but what is causing people the most outrage is that it just looks different than what you are used to. Since you are on this site I imagine you play or have played WoW. Imagine running the game on a mediocre graphics card getting only 24 fps giving you a slightly choppy game experience, but over time you are used to it and you grow used to that. Then one day you install a newer card and that FPS doubles and suddenly the game looks much more vibrant and smooth. It is basically the same experience between the 48 FPS he shot this in and the traditional 24 FPS. We are so used to watching movies at a certain quality that such a dramatic bump makes it tough to adjust at first. Everything looks more hyper-realistic and less of a traditional movie style. That seems to be the biggest hang up for so many negative reviews. I hope my theater is showing it in 48 FPS on the 3d and 24 FPS on the 2d so I can see both firsthand and see if the reported differences are really that noticeable.

Apparently the end credits run for SIXTEEN minutes.
    I'll watch ALL the credits.
    ALL of them.

Also, this is pretty cool:

Seeing this, those reviewers must have a heart of stone or a very big pet peeve with 48fps and/or the three movie thing, how can you not be excited for this ^^
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-12-06 at 09:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Seeing this, those reviewers must have a heart of stone or a very big pet peeve with 48fps and/or the three movie thing, how can you not be excited for this ^^
    The WETA miniature at the start of that video is incredible. I will never stop being stupid jealous of their creativity and artistic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I'll watch ALL the credits.
    ALL of them.

Also, this is pretty cool:

I hadn't seen that video. That was phenomenal. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I hadn't seen that video. That was phenomenal. Thank you.
    NGGGGHHH ... Thanks Arrow ... That was INCREDIBLE and just reaffirmed myself that no matter what the morons on Rotten Tomatoes say ... This movie (and the trilogy in general) is going to be fucking spectacular.

Deleted
    Lord of the Ring is absolutely a classic. I really hope that Hobbit will keep this level.

10+ Year Old Account

Hobbit in Imax

Hi,
    I have a question regarding the screen resolution of the upcoming Hobbit movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=nTeXIoQWUu4
    0:30 you can read "in real 3D, HFR 3 and IMax 3D".

As far as I know, the movie wasn't shot with Imax cameras (they used red epics) so the resolution might not be as good as an Imax documentary. Perhaps they are showing the movie only half as big as the actual Imax screen so that I am in the cinema and 3/4 of the screen is just black

Does anyone know whether they show the movie full screen in Imax or should I go into a smaller cinema.

Yours sincerely from snowy Switzerland

bump. i want to know too

this will probaly fixed though software interpolation.

I wonder how the 48 frame rate filming will impact on the film along with increased resolution. I suspect it will make some scene appear fake if the CGI if not up to scratch ...

I like all the people who never had seen the movie attacking critique of it coming from people whom have actually seen it. Talk about "feasting off the palm". EA and Activision are spending millions to get such outcome for whatever they release and here it happens free.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice vid, just made the next 7 days even longer. So pumped for my Midnight Imax showing. It's going to be one beautiful night.

Apparently the 48fps option is not being shown in all cinema's see below for a list of cinema's that will be showing The Hobbit in 48 fps.

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

So make sure you book it in one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I like all the people who never had seen the movie attacking critique of it coming from people whom have actually seen it. Talk about "feasting off the palm". EA and Activision are spending millions to get such outcome for whatever they release and here it happens free.
    The problem is that the majority of the complaints in the reviews (And it appears why people are giving it bad rating on RT) is purely because of the 48FPS. Which sure, that is what Peter Jackson filmed it in and is the 'Proper' viewing format. But it's absurd when you read a review and they say how they generally thought the movie was good, but then spend a page dissing the 48FPS and hence give it a 'Rotten' Rating. Even if 48FPS is the proper viewing format, PJ is releasing it in 24FPS specifically to give people that option if they cannot adapt to the 48FPS or simply don't enjoy it. So the 48FPS shouldn't be the major reason why they review it so harshly, because there is that Option to watch in 24 or 48.

The main other complaint is that the movie is simply to long and slow. Which frankly strikes me as double standards when people start their review with how much they loved LOTR and the Trilogy is a Classic, but then the next minute try and say that Hobbit was slow and tedious... Like sure I haven't seen the movie yet, but one of the things which make LOTR SO GREAT is that IT IS SLOW. Every movie in the Original Trilogy has so many slow moments, with tons of landscape shots, travelling companions and armies and lots of talking and scenery etc. It was something that made LOTR so iconic and personally I LOVE the fact that PJ draws you into Middle Earth so much that you don't mind the movies being so slow. Just strikes me as very hypocritical and makes me trust the review alot less.

I guess being a massive fanboy I get hyper defensive, but it just seems like the reviewers are being ridiculous. Doesn't really matter in the end, I've watched enough production Videos, Trailers etc to know that this is going to be a fucking amazing movie, no matter what the reviewers say. It just would make me sad if people don't watch it because of a few reviewers grudge against 48FPS and hypocrisy about movie pace.